Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 6 « First<23456
Topic Options
#2938980 - 09/10/12 11:01 PM Re: it's cheap to run my boat [Re: Football Hunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

70 or 80 pounds, dang, I think that is bigger than the world record for a longnose.

...since last deer season

#2938991 - 09/10/12 11:11 PM Re: it's cheap to run my boat [Re: catman529]
SilverFox
12 Point

Loc: Kodak TN

I have no clue what the record is. This fish was a good 5 foot plus long. It looked like a log as it rolled up beside the boat. I have no clue how I would have got him in the boat since my net would not have held him. it was one of those times I wish I had braided line instead 60 pound mono. Sad part is he broke the line instead of cutting it. I probably should have gave him line but I had played him all the way to the boat and wasn't expecting a run like he made. Never had a fish break 60 pound mono and I've caught some big cats and really horsed them to the boat.

Took a pretty good spill to the bottom of the boat when the line broke.

#2939001 - 09/10/12 11:22 PM Re: it's cheap to run my boat [Re: SilverFox]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Dang that's a good size gar, but 5 ft including the snout wouldn't go 70 pounds, still very big for a longnose. I watched a buddy of mine catch one just shy of 4 feet in the Harpeth River (I regret the decision to tell him to come down there when I found a bunch of big gar sitting in a pool). So he knows what a 4 foot gar looks like in the water, and says that one day he saw one that would easily go 5 ft drifting down the river one day. Remember the Harpeth River is hardly more than a creek with a few deep holes. I have never seen a 5 footer and my buddy only saw one once or twice, so they must be very smart, elusive fish that rarely show themselves near the surface. I would love to catch one. Haven't even caught a 4 footer yet. I don't usually target gar because I got bored with the small ones, and that's mostly what I catch when I fish for them. If I ever find a 4 or 5 footer sitting near the surface, I do what I can to catch it. A minnow, live or dead, dragged right in front of their snout is deadly. Hooking the fish is the biggest challenge.

#2939012 - 09/10/12 11:42 PM Re: it's cheap to run my boat [Re: catman529]
SilverFox
12 Point

Loc: Kodak TN

I've caught a bunch of 40 plus pound gar on steel leaders with a banjo minnow... Don't laugh, they will kill them. I know this fish was nearly double what those fish were. It's hard to tell the length of them when they are so big in body size. That's why I said 5 foot plus. Trust me, this fish was well over 50 pounds. I looked up the record a minute ago and this one woubokhara beoke it. Of course i Wouldn't have known that then and probably would have turned it back loose. That would have sucked.

We use to catch them on Santee that were gloss black... Had a shine to them. I wish I had some pictures of them. They were really pretty fish but would cut the heck out of you if you let them loose in the boat. My wife caught one on a fluke back in June on Santee while we were on vacation. Braided line. It cut both of my legs when it got loose.

#2939016 - 09/10/12 11:55 PM Re: it's cheap to run my boat [Re: SilverFox]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

that's pretty cool. I caught a relatively small one on a fluke a couple weeks ago. For the size hook it was a lucky catch.

they will cut you too. I have very few cuts from gar but it has happened, I think the worst was strangely from getting tail slapped in the arm several years ago. Nothing serious though. I heard their gill plates can give you a nasty cut. Not happened to me yet. Also I have never been bit. But then I haven't caught any over 4 feet.

I love the black ones. I have seen so many and always wanted to catch one, but am always fishing for something else and like I said I don't target gar often enough. When I first started fishing at age 11, my dad and I were on the bank of the harpeth and I was learning to fish with worms under a bobber and we looked across the water and saw a 4 foot, solid black log floating in the water... well it also happened to have moving fins on it. I think there may have been another normal colored one too. Some canoeists floated by and we asked what kind of fish it was that we had seen, and they said it was a gar. That was the first time I ever saw or heard of one. But that was back when I didn't know any species of fish other than goldfish \:D that brings back memories thinking of that. I won't ever forget the sight of that gar.... first fish I ever saw in the harpeth river while fishing, and it was a beast of a fish.

Page 6 of 6 « First<23456

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
165 registered (postal rage, Gravey, Pic IN the Casa, GoldenEagle09, rbreedi1, stringtalker, 12 invisible) and 212 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93260 Topics
1088974 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.104 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.