Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2935966 - 09/07/12 10:01 PM Sad day on Clinch
JQT
TnDeer Old Timer
6 Point

Loc: Knoxville,Tn.

http://oakridgetoday.com/2012/09/07/man-drowns-in-clinch-river-near-norris-dam/#more-7947

Witness says he was "jumping" the weir dam in his boat. Boat was totally crushed. This may stop all boats above the weir.

I've seen a couple boats go over the weir... IMO - Stupid!!!

#2935986 - 09/07/12 10:18 PM Re: Sad day on Clinch [Re: JQT]
GRAMPS
14 Point

Loc: Mount Carmel, TN

\:\(

#2936105 - 09/08/12 05:40 AM Re: Sad day on Clinch [Re: GRAMPS]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Sad for sure, but this is why folks shouldn't be going over the weir period unless they are in dirft boats or rafts and are experienced with heavy current and whitewater.
#2936134 - 09/08/12 06:49 AM Re: Sad day on Clinch [Re: Setterman]
Model70Man
12 Point

That is crazy!!! I've seen people go up and down the weir dam in jet boats. A couple people on this forum go up and down the weir dam all the time. I hope one of them is not this person. I would never attempt it no matter what boat I'm in. One mistake will cost you your life on the Clinch. That's why I never fish alone in a boat on that river. Very sad day.
Zeiss Victory Varipoint #60 Illuminated

#2936218 - 09/08/12 08:47 AM Re: Sad day on Clinch [Re: Model70Man]
SES
8 Point

Loc: Corryton, Tn

I hate to hear that. I do go up the weir every time I go up there. I have seen several elderly men above the weir dam in small john boats. I may be wrong, but I would say it was someone that put in at the canoe access above the weir and they had some sort of troube and went over the weir sideways. Definately very sad to hear.
#2936280 - 09/08/12 10:06 AM Re: Sad day on Clinch [Re: SES]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: SES
I hate to hear that. I do go up the weir every time I go up there. I have seen several elderly men above the weir dam in small john boats. I may be wrong, but I would say it was someone that put in at the canoe access above the weir and they had some sort of troube and went over the weir sideways. Definately very sad to hear.

One of those men will be laid to rest in a few days because a lack of common sense took precedent over safety.

#2937727 - 09/09/12 10:09 PM Re: Sad day on Clinch [Re: Setterman]
jhnter
Spike

Loc: roane tn

Im not gonna say any names or anything but i was there. I was working at the weir that day. I also dont want to release a lot of info but i know for a fact that he was not jumping the weir dam i dont know exactley what happened but some how his boat capsized a good ways above the weir he also launched above the weir, we (me and my work crew) tried to get to him but to no avail. he did have a life jacket on it was just an accident I do feel bad for him and his familyl. I send prayers for his family and also me and my crew we all took it hard but we did all we could do kudos to the Anderson County Rescue Squad for responding as quick as they could and also to the Game Warden who took our statement cant remember his name but was very profesional. He seen the guy on a regular basis and also took it hard. Prayers to the family and may he rest in peace.

Edited by jhnter (09/09/12 10:12 PM)

#2938638 - 09/10/12 07:48 PM Re: Sad day on Clinch [Re: jhnter]
JQT
TnDeer Old Timer
6 Point

Loc: Knoxville,Tn.

Originally Posted By: jhnter
Im not gonna say any names or anything but i was there. I was working at the weir that day. I also dont want to release a lot of info but i know for a fact that he was not jumping the weir dam i dont know exactley what happened but some how his boat capsized a good ways above the weir he also launched above the weir, we (me and my work crew) tried to get to him but to no avail. he did have a life jacket on it was just an accident I do feel bad for him and his familyl. I send prayers for his family and also me and my crew we all took it hard but we did all we could do kudos to the Anderson County Rescue Squad for responding as quick as they could and also to the Game Warden who took our statement cant remember his name but was very profesional. He seen the guy on a regular basis and also took it hard. Prayers to the family and may he rest in peace.

Thanks for clearing it up. Originally I was told he was jumping the weir, but later saw where he had put in above the weir. I've talked to some of those guys that fish up there before & I really hate it happened.

I hope people will realize that the Clinch is dangerous, when floating. I always wear a life jacket when I float the Clinch. I always float below the weir, but it's still cold, swift moving water.

I saw your crew or another one working at the weir today. I appreciate your efforts, but understand there would be very little anyone from the bank could do.

I saw a man drown there many years ago, before they built the weir & I never fish the Clinch without thinking about it.

I know there are many people "jumping" the weir now & it seems to be a cool thing to do. But I hope they start putting some hefty penalties on them. I'm told that TVA would love to stop all fishing above the weir, I just hope they take a deep breath & control the crazy things going on. If this gentleman had boat problems & capsized, it could have happened anywhere on the Clinch.

Prayers for his family & all who helped in his rescue.

#2938709 - 09/10/12 08:19 PM Re: Sad day on Clinch [Re: JQT]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

Even a life jacket isn't enough in cold water. It's very admirable that jhntr and his crew tried to rescue him but sometimes the most valiant efforts aren't rewarded with the outcome hoped for.

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

#2939655 - 09/11/12 02:25 PM Re: Sad day on Clinch [Re: Bowdacious]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Navigating the Weir dam in a boat is just not a good idea, too many things can go wrong!
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
AKeys, GUIDO, Bnpainter, TannersDad, Bowkiller13
13380 Registered Users
Who's Online
39 registered (Dirt nap, bassybuck47, TNRazorback, bowhunterfanatic, catman529, Zulu, 3 invisible) and 181 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13380 Members
42 Forums
95603 Topics
1118818 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.994 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.