Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2932148 - 09/04/12 07:16 PM September Middle Tennessee QDMA Meeting
Pursuit Hunter
8 Point

Loc: Way out there

The Middle Tennessee QDMA branch will meet next Monday, September 10, at the TWRA Region II Headquarters in The Ellington Ag Center. If you need a map, address, or directions, click here for a Google Map. Please note that the meeting is on Monday, not our usual Tuesday night.

This month, we are fortunate to have a corporate sponsor, Farm Credit, who is going to provide snacks and refreshments for a pre-meeting get together. Come at 6:30 to make new friends, swap stories, share plans and hopes for the upcoming season, and just relax. We are very grateful to Farm Credit for their generous support of our branch.

Our program will begin at 7 p.m. We had originally scheduled Dr. Craig Harper to be our speaker, but he was in an accident last week and is unable to travel. We wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to taking him up on his offer to make it up to us when he has recovered. Chuck Yoest, TWRA’s Big Game Coordinator has graciously agreed on short notice to come speak to us about a couple timely topics.

When Does the Rut Peak in Southern Middle Tennessee?

The 2011-2012 white- tailed deer season ended December 31st. The TWRA received many public comments following the season requesting that next year’s deer season end in January instead of December. These comments suggested that the peak of the rut occurs during the first half of January in Southern Middle Tennessee. In response, the TWRA conducted a fetal study in Southern Middle Tennessee during March to determine the conception dates of does in these counties. The results of the study will be shared.

How are Wild Hogs Impacting Tennessee Wildlife and Habitat and How is QDMA Participating in Solving the Problem?

The QDMA recently signed the Wild Hog Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in Tennessee. Wild hogs cause extensive damage to crops, wildlife habitat, contribute to erosion and water pollution, and carry diseases harmful to livestock and other animals as well as humans. Therefore, controlling these invasive exotics is important to an array of interest groups. The Wild Hog MOU is an official document signed by 20 organizations agreeing to work together to combat the growing wild hog problem in Tennessee.

Chuck Yoest is the TWRA’s Big Game Coordinator. He began as the Big Game Coordinator last September after serving as a wildlife officer for eight years. He is originally from Watertown, Tennessee but now resides and farms with his family at Hatcher Family Dairy in College Grove, Tennessee.

Show us What You’ve Been Up To

For many of us, deer hunting is a year-round activity that doesn’t end when deer season closes. There are foodplots to plant, native habitat to manage, trail cameras to put out and check, new property to scout, sheds to find. The list goes on and on…

We would love to see the results of your hard work. Email me a couple photographs of whatever has been on your project list for the past twelve months. It can be foodplots you planted, controlled burns you did, timber stand improvement projects, trail camera photos, whatever you would like to share with the group. I will incorporate your photos into our powerpoint so that you can talk about what has worked and what hasn’t. I think that learning from each other’s successes and failures can be one of the most important benefits of a group such as ours. Send your photos along with your name and a very brief description of your subject to chris@pursuitland.com .

I look forward to seeing everyone next week.

Regards,

Chris Anderson
President, Middle Tennessee QDMA Branch

http://www.pursuithunting.com
http://www.pursuitland.com

#2932487 - 09/04/12 11:55 PM Re: September Middle Tennessee QDMA Meeting [Re: Pursuit Hunter]
MossyOakChick
6 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

Wow! I just started a chapter in the Upper Cumberland area. Seems like we should get together so I can get some pointers.

#2932696 - 09/05/12 08:29 AM Re: September Middle Tennessee QDMA Meeting [Re: MossyOakChick]
Pursuit Hunter
8 Point

Originally Posted By: MossyOakChick
Wow! I just started a chapter in the Upper Cumberland area. Seems like we should get together so I can get some pointers.
I'd be happy to talk. My contact info is on my website.

#2933741 - 09/06/12 04:51 AM Re: September Middle Tennessee QDMA Meeting [Re: Pursuit Hunter]
richmanbarbeque
16 Point

Loc: Middle, Tn

TTT

Great night for sure.

#2937116 - 09/09/12 09:50 AM Re: September Middle Tennessee QDMA Meeting [Re: richmanbarbeque]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I'll be there!

Dr. Saxton Pope

#2937261 - 09/09/12 12:49 PM Re: September Middle Tennessee QDMA Meeting [Re: gil1]
jmb4wd
8 Point

Loc: Christiana, TN

Looking foward to it!!

Food Plot Establishment and Maintenance

Justin

#2938000 - 09/10/12 09:05 AM Re: September Middle Tennessee QDMA Meeting [Re: jmb4wd]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

I'm going to try to make it tonight.
#2938068 - 09/10/12 10:27 AM Re: September Middle Tennessee QDMA Meeting [Re: Bayou Buck]
Pursuit Hunter
8 Point

Just a reminder that we will be meeting tonight.

In addition to the program detailed below, I will be talking about how to find and hunt dominant trees. Based on my pre-season scouting and what others are seeing, I predict that this is going to be a good acorn year. If you are planning on hunting foodplots, it could be a long season. Come learn what a dominant tree is, how to find it, and how doing so will dramatically improve your chances of success, particularly in good acorn years like this year. To whet your appetite, check out the article I just posted on my blog about a hotspot I found this past weekend. With deer season just around the corner, this is practical advice that you will be able to put to use right away.

If you have photos that you would like to submit for the program, please get them to me ASAP.

Don’t forget that we are starting at 6:30 with refreshments provided by Farm Credit.

I look forward to seeing you tonight.

Edited by Pursuit Hunter (09/10/12 10:28 AM)

#2938113 - 09/10/12 11:18 AM Re: September Middle Tennessee QDMA Meeting [Re: Pursuit Hunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Pursuit Hunter
Based on my pre-season scouting and what others are seeing, I predict that this is going to be a good acorn year.

Not in my area. Looks more like a "moderate to poor" year. I suspect there will be enough early on to keep them on acorn patterns for awhile, but how long will that last? hard to say until I see what hits the ground. But not much in the trees and a lot of those have been blown down recently.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2938319 - 09/10/12 02:47 PM Re: September Middle Tennessee QDMA Meeting [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

sounds good

You wont know,if you dont go!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
23 registered (trm, Ken45, Coker, tbam, MBG, HuntNShoot, 2 invisible) and 50 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94112 Topics
1099530 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.131 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.