Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#2931350 - 09/04/12 07:35 AM Timber Advice...
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

I'm looking to timber approximately 60+/- acres in Blount County. All of the timber is mature, been standing for who knows how long. I don't believe the property has ever been timbered in mine or my grandfather's lifetime. It is almost completely mature hardwoods. I'm looking for some suggestions on reputable timber companies. Do you know anyone? I've read in a book to be sure and get bids from "state licensed foresters". I'm looking to sale the timber to help fund another project of mine. Also, I'd love to hear any lessons learned you may have from your own experiences, but more than anything I need to find some reputable companies to come in and give me some bids. I would like to have it timbered this winter sometime if possible. Thanks in advance for the help.

#2931357 - 09/04/12 07:38 AM Re: Timber Advice... [Re: BlountArrow]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
I'm looking for some suggestions on reputable timber companies. Do you know anyone?

And that's the rub. Finding reputable loggers can be very, very difficult. It took me many years to find a logger I liked, and now it looks like he is retiring. \:\(

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2931504 - 09/04/12 09:33 AM Re: Timber Advice... [Re: BSK]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

If you're willing to put the effort in, judging timber grades and volumes isnt rocket science. If you have the time to do the homework and learn a little about it, make a few random trips to the mill with the logger for your peace of mind. It was a little time consuming, but kept our guy pretty honest.
#2931569 - 09/04/12 10:27 AM Re: Timber Advice... [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: BSK
I'm looking for some suggestions on reputable timber companies. Do you know anyone?

And that's the rub. Finding reputatable loggers can be very, very difficult. It took me many years to find a logger I liked, and now it looks like he is retiring. \:\(
Jeremy is retiring?

You wont know,if you dont go!

#2931704 - 09/04/12 12:33 PM Re: Timber Advice... [Re: Football Hunter]
treefarmer
4 Point

Loc: Humphreys County, TN

If the sale will be 10 acres or more consider hiring a Consulting Forester and paying him to estimate the timber volume, solicit bids, and oversee the work. A Consulting forester works with loggers regularly and they need to do a good job for the forester or they aren't invited to bid again. I am about to thin 180 acres of pine and the forester I've chosen is charging 8% of the timber sale. I have read where a forester will bring higher bids by enough to cover their fee. They also verify the logger has insurance and frequently get you paid up front. You can ask your area forester who he would recommend or check out the consulting forester directory at http://www.tn.gov/agriculture/publications/forestry/cfdirectory.pdf
#2931768 - 09/04/12 01:27 PM Re: Timber Advice... [Re: treefarmer]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Originally Posted By: treefarmer
If the sale will be 10 acres or more consider hiring a Consulting Forester and paying him to estimate the timber volume, solicit bids, and oversee the work. A Consulting forester works with loggers regularly and they need to do a good job for the forester or they aren't invited to bid again. I am about to thin 180 acres of pine and the forester I've chosen is charging 8% of the timber sale. I have read where a forester will bring higher bids by enough to cover their fee. They also verify the logger has insurance and frequently get you paid up front. You can ask your area forester who he would recommend or check out the consulting forester directory at http://www.tn.gov/agriculture/publications/forestry/cfdirectory.pdf

This sounds like the nugget I was looking for...thanks-a-million. I will look into this as well.

#2931769 - 09/04/12 01:27 PM Re: Timber Advice... [Re: BlountArrow]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Anybody got anything else - recommendations, horror stories, what to do, what not to do???

#2931791 - 09/04/12 01:42 PM Re: Timber Advice... [Re: Football Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter

And that's the rub. Finding reputatable loggers can be very, very difficult. It took me many years to find a logger I liked, and now it looks like he is retiring. \:\(
Jeremy is retiring?

Jeremey isn't cutting at all anymore. he found a "real" job (and a girlfriend)! His dad is in the early stages of congestive heart failure.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2931793 - 09/04/12 01:43 PM Re: Timber Advice... [Re: BlountArrow]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: treefarmer

This sounds like the nugget I was looking for...thanks-a-million. I will look into this as well.

Excellent advice!

#2931799 - 09/04/12 01:47 PM Re: Timber Advice... [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter

Jeremy is retiring?

Jeremey isn't cutting at all anymore. he found a "real" job (and a girlfriend)! His dad is in the early stages of congestive heart failure.
Ok,hate to hear that

You wont know,if you dont go!

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bmobrady3, bmo3, chrislee, Patriot123, DT33
13565 Registered Users
Who's Online
98 registered (Master Chief, Jrc2529, gobblegrunt, bwoodard12, SAWDUST, whatnoise, 5 invisible) and 198 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13565 Members
43 Forums
99572 Topics
1171380 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.