Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#2931578 - 09/04/12 10:31 AM Re: planting vs maintenance [Re: Football Hunter]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

I overseed my thin spots each year with crimson clover.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#2931858 - 09/04/12 02:25 PM Re: planting vs maintenance [Re: Football Hunter]
Quailman
8 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

I'm an advocate for planting primarily perennials. Typically, I recommend 60-70% of your food plots in perennials, with the remainder in annuals. The benefit of perennials is the fact that I don't have to plant them every year, and they actually require little maintenance if planted properly.

I have perennial clover plots that are going on their 6th year that I have only mowed twice per year and sprayed once during that whole time. Only mow when you have noxious weed issues, and only spray when grasses try to invade your plots. I, like most landowners I work with, don't have the time to re-plant all my plots every year.

Also, I might add, if I had bigger and better farm equipment (tractor with hydraulics, no-till drill, etc.), I would think about planting a few more annuals because it wouldn't take as long. Until that happens, and until I see the need for planting more annuals, I'll just stick with what's worked well for me over the years.

Everyone has their own opinion on this subject, so do what you feel is best for your property. In the end, it comes down to providing as much high quality food as possible throughout the entire year.

#2931877 - 09/04/12 02:35 PM Re: planting vs maintenance [Re: Quailman]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

I love having perennial clover plots. Brings in the turkey and deer around 9 months a year and all year when overseeded with wheat in Fall. It does take up some time mowing, but I dont see mowing as expensive. Herbicides are also relatively cheap going the generic route, IMO. I love a clover plot like this one that gets utilized heavily this time of year by does and fawns.

#2931933 - 09/04/12 03:29 PM Re: planting vs maintenance [Re: Football Hunter]
gboucher
4 Point

Loc: tennessee

quailman, u said if planted properly, could you expound upon this?
#2932276 - 09/04/12 08:33 PM Re: planting vs maintenance [Re: gboucher]
Quailman
8 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

Originally Posted By: gboucher
quailman, u said if planted properly, could you expound upon this?

gboucher, what I meant by that statement is that if you prepare your plots properly, you can maintain them for many years. The key for clover plantings is to spray herbicides prior to planting, always plant in the fall (limited weed competition), take soil samples for proper lime/fertilizer applications, plant at the correct seeding rates, and prepare the seedbed correctly. For the seedbed, you can no-till (preferred method) or use conventional tillage methods. For clover, this will involve disking, drag harrow, cultipack, broadcast seed, and cultipack again to ensure good seed to soil contact.

It will take some work, but if you do it correctly the first time, you can keep perennials thriving for many years. If I had the choise, I would no-till my plots, but I just don't have big enough equipment at this time. I have a tractor, disk, harrow, cultipacker, etc., but I'm not setup for no-till planting. I can only dream about it right now!

#2932398 - 09/04/12 09:56 PM Re: planting vs maintenance [Re: Quailman]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

Planting annuals on the ridge tops and perennials on the low ground as worked good for us. We have plots of crimson clover that are going on three years with out replanting. Just brush-hog and a light disking before Aug 1 and they do great.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway
13288 Registered Users
Who's Online
43 registered (Estimator, TX300mag, ghostfive, Coach B, stik, BIGORANGE, 3 invisible) and 97 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13288 Members
42 Forums
85369 Topics
1031552 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.221 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.