Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#2924341 - 08/29/12 06:33 AM Re: New to squirrel [Re: Tman7]
bigtex
8 Point

Loc: Brush Creek

I always find what the prefered food is first. Last year they were eating acorns as there were no hickory nuts in my area. This year they are eating the heck out of the hickorys. If you know where there are a bunch or hickorys try to slip in as quietly as possible and just sit for a few min. It wont be long before you should hear the soft sound of nut shells hitting the leaves and the sound of the squirrel chewing into the nut. If you can't spot him right off just be patient till he finishes that nut and goes for another.
A shotgun is more effective for sure, especially if they are on the run. But I prefer my .22, you just have to be a little more patient for a squirrell to setttle down for a good shot.

#2925596 - 08/29/12 08:55 PM Re: New to squirrel [Re: Tman7]
Hickory Nut
4 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Tman7...Squirrels are in just about any patch of hardwoods over a couple of acres. Even if there is not a lot of mast, there will likely be one or two moving through. If you get into a good size area of hardwoods, you'll find more squirrels. Move slowly. Take three of four steps and pause for a minute. Watch the canopy and you'll pick up the movement, hear the rustling of branches or the sound of little claws on tree bark. Keep moving slowly through the woodlot and you'll most likely come upon feeding squirrel. If the squirrels are cutting, you'll hear the dropped nut hulls. If you can find a tree with a lot of fresh cuttings underneath, find a hidden seat closeby and wait quietly for 10 or 15 minutes. There were likely a couple in the tree when you walked up and more may show up any time. In my opinion, squirrel hunting (without a dog) is about quiet and stealth. These are not like those city squirrels. If these guys see or hear you, you're likely not to see them again. Later in the fall, when the mast starts to drop, you'll see as many squirrels on the ground as you will in the canopy. Thats the time your likely to have one come down the very tree your leaning against.

After you've spent a couple of seasons hunting, you'll discover some hot spots and have a better idea where you can connect. I have good luck at a WMA near me, Laurel Hill (chiggers and seed ticks are bad there so use repellent). I hardly ever see anyone squirrel hunting there and it has a good population of bushytails. Tennessee has a great list of wildlife management areas and other public hunting. The squirrel hunters have it all to themselves (until deer season opens).

As far as the gun to use, I agree with the post above that recommends starting with a shotgun. After you bag a few squirrels and learn about their habits, try a .22. You can bring home more squirrels with a shotgun, but using a .22 and only taking head shots makes it much more of a hunt for me. I've hit too many squirrels with a shotgun and had them die slowly and have to chase after some or take a second shot before they crawl into thick brush or up a back side of a tree. I much prefer how the head shot with a .22 "turns them off". They drop like a stone and dead when they hit the ground. I think it is a much more humane way of taking the animal.

Good luck on your next hunt.

#2925657 - 08/29/12 09:22 PM Re: New to squirrel [Re: Hickory Nut]
FOX FIRE
8 Point

Loc: Mt. Eagle

This thread tells me just how much people liek to hunt squirrels, very good insight & experience offered up, good stuff ya'll.

#2925658 - 08/29/12 09:22 PM Re: New to squirrel [Re: Hickory Nut]
Tman7
4 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro TN

Great advice everyone thanks!!!
#2925966 - 08/30/12 08:01 AM Re: New to squirrel [Re: Tman7]
RecurveShooter
6 Point

Loc: West TN

For shotgunning squirrels, I always use a high brass load of #6. It just seems to bring them down better than a dove load.
#2927063 - 08/30/12 09:43 PM Re: New to squirrel [Re: RecurveShooter]
Tman7
4 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro TN

Do you have to wear orange while squirrel hunting?
#2927086 - 08/30/12 09:53 PM Re: New to squirrel [Re: Tman7]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: Tman7
Do you have to wear orange while squirrel hunting?
No. Most squirrel hunters I have met and hunted with dressed in full camouflage for the most part. With that said, it may not be a bad idea if you are squirrel hunting during deer season, particularly muzzleloader and gun season, and especially if you are squirrel hunting on public land amongst others who you have no feel for when it comes to safety and their concern for and awareness of others.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#2928071 - 08/31/12 04:51 PM Re: New to squirrel [Re: Andy S.]
TN Whitetail Freak
8 Point

Loc: Bradford, TN (Gibson Co.)

Has anyone successfully used the distress and limb flapping method lol

Life's Not Handed To Ya; Go Get It.

Sure, the rut is a GREAT time to hunt if you don't know what you're doing!

#2928124 - 08/31/12 06:19 PM Re: New to squirrel [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

Originally Posted By: TN Whitetail Freak
Has anyone successfully used the distress and limb flapping method lol

My truck wouldnt haul the squirrels I have killed using this method.. in conjunction with the mr. squirrel ..squirrel call..

#2928435 - 09/01/12 01:12 AM Re: New to squirrel [Re: pressfit]
Eric Kilby
Fireball
10 Point

Loc: Tellico Plains

best way to squirrel hunt is to climb up in a tree stand

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
cw308, TNDeerHunter270, rmyers@atpro1, ojf, Muwasi
13551 Registered Users
Who's Online
108 registered (Rubberduck270, Grandslam11, archer19, Vince, Poleaxe, bcartervol98, 11 invisible) and 214 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13551 Members
42 Forums
99371 Topics
1168974 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.