Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#2921766 - 08/27/12 08:26 AM Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf

WASHINGTON, Aug. 27 (UPI) -- The U.S. Navy aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis is being rushed to the Persian Gulf as tensions between Israel and Iran edge closer to the boiling point.

The Nimitz class carrier, with an air wing of about 90 aircraft, sets sail Monday on an eight-month deployment to the region -- four months ahead of schedule.

In the gulf it will join the USS Enterprise Strike Group, giving the United States a powerful deterrent to any Iranian attack on commercial oil tankers in the Persian Gulf and Strait of Hormuz or a counterpunch to Iranian military action against U.S. military facilities in the region or those of its allies.

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews/articleid/6009832

#2921880 - 08/27/12 09:47 AM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: Crappie Luck]
Grizzly Johnson
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Won't be long until the fireworks start then.... see how serious Iran really is.

#2921949 - 08/27/12 10:37 AM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

The Nobel Prize winning pResident needs to look tough.

Wag the Dog

#2921962 - 08/27/12 10:43 AM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: Crappie Luck]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

exactly the case!
#2921979 - 08/27/12 11:14 AM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: Crappie Luck]
Grizzly Johnson
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Ahhh, he won't attack his fellow brothers.... probably just give them our ships....

#2921982 - 08/27/12 11:17 AM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

I half suspect the ships are to protect Iran from Israel

#2921987 - 08/27/12 11:22 AM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: Crappie Luck]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

You beat me to it, CL.

You have to ask, what is the mission of the carriers? To stop Iran? Or to stop Israel?

#2922009 - 08/27/12 11:39 AM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: BMan]
de novo
10 Point

Not sure if Obama is looking out for Iranian or Israeli interests, only thing we can say for certain is it's not American interests.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#2922134 - 08/27/12 01:35 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: de novo]
W C
10 Point

Loc: Alabama

What'll happen if Obama orders our pilots to shoot Israelli jets out of the sky?

#2922150 - 08/27/12 01:44 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: Crappie Luck]
preds1
12 Point

Loc: Sumner County

Originally Posted By: Crappie Luck

The Nimitz class carrier, with an air wing of about 90 aircraft, sets sail Monday on an eight-month deployment to the region -- four months ahead of schedule.

Must be election season and someone's looking for a boost in the polls.
The Campaigner-In-Chief cares about nothing else right now.

http://youtu.be/pqICP295APA

#2922432 - 08/27/12 06:05 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: preds1]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

Good question; would the US Pilots fire on Israeli aircraft?

Well, I think they would not.

He would simply not dare to do so before the election. He would lose so much money, so many votes, political suicide.

After the election, he will be a lame duck and probably head for a perpetual golf game in Hawaii. Sulking.

Now, will the US fly jets in support? I wager no.

Will Iran be pounded so hard on so many fronts they are unable to regroup and wage war? What do you think? Would you let up on someone who constantly threatens your right to breathe?

#2922439 - 08/27/12 06:09 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: DaveB]
citico_tim
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN, USA

October Surprise? But like others have posted, which side does Obama intend on protecting?

The fact that this question can even be legitimately raised is another first for any president.

-Thomas Jefferson

#2922578 - 08/27/12 07:38 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: citico_tim]
Super8
8 Point

Loc: USofA

$5.00 gas coming soon....just as predicted

#2922582 - 08/27/12 07:39 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: BMan]
de novo
10 Point

Originally Posted By: BMan
You beat me to it, CL.

You have to ask, what is the mission of the carriers? To stop Iran? Or to stop Israel?

If history is any indication, unfortunately, of all the scenarios our carrier is more likely to be attacked by Israeli forces.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#2922589 - 08/27/12 07:43 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: de novo]
BMan
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Novocaine
You beat me to it, CL.

If history is any indication, unfortunately, of all the scenarios our carrier is more likely to be attacked by Israeli forces.

The Israelis have acted, and will continue to act, in the best interests of Israel.

I respect them for that.

If you truly understand the entire story about the Liberty attack, you'll know they were indeed acting in their best interests then as well. In that case, political interests over military ones.

#2922624 - 08/27/12 08:04 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: de novo]
citico_tim
10 Point

You beat me to it, CL.

And the Iranians have never attacked us? I assume you are referring to the attack on the USS Liberty 45 years ago that is still clouded in confusion.

I seriously doubt Israel, or just about anyone, would attempt to attack a US carrier group today. But given Obama's policy towards Israel, the question is will we attempt to stop them?

I am beginning to think that Israel may very well be planning to attack in October, not because of anything to do with Iran's situation, but because that is when Obama is most vulnerable. What would be the effect on the election if Obama attempted to thwart an Israeli attack on Iran? My guess is America would turn on him and he'd be electoral history. If they wait, they very well might find a reelected Obama with nothing to stop him from ordering our fighters to defend Iran.

-Thomas Jefferson

#2922644 - 08/27/12 08:21 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: citico_tim]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

Originally Posted By: citico_tim
You beat me to it, CL.

And the Iranians have never attacked us? I assume you are referring to the attack on the USS Liberty 45 years ago that is still clouded in confusion.

I seriously doubt Israel, or just about anyone, would attempt to attack a US carrier group today. But given Obama's policy towards Israel, the question is will we attempt to stop them?

I am beginning to think that Israel may very well be planning to attack in October, not because of anything to do with Iran's situation, but because that is when Obama is most vulnerable. What would be the effect on the election if Obama attempted to thwart an Israeli attack on Iran? My guess is America would turn on him and he'd be electoral history. If they wait, they very well might find a reelected Obama with nothing to stop him from ordering our fighters to defend Iran.

I agree with Tim here.

I highly doubt Israel will attack an American carrier group, as good as Israel is they are not that good.

More than likely it's either the other way around with the carrier group and the other American warships in the area trying to stop Israel. OR Israel has told the US what they are going to do and the US wants to get it's military ready.

I still don't see Israel hitting Iran with planes. They don't have the birds with the legs to reach Iran and back With Iraq they only had to hit one single target and that ended Iraq's nuclear program. With Iran it's spread out and most are underground. If Irsael is going to do anything it will be on the ground.

#2922654 - 08/27/12 08:26 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: Wildcat]
BMan
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Wildcat
I still don't see Israel hitting Iran with planes. They don't have the birds with the legs to reach Iran and back With Iraq they only had to hit one single target and that ended Iraq's nuclear program. With Iran it's spread out and most are underground. If Irsael is going to do anything it will be on the ground.

Iran may have multiple sites doing refining, but at some point they have to bring everything together in one spot to build warheads.

And that's when the strike will occur.

#2922693 - 08/27/12 08:51 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: BMan]
de novo
10 Point

The Israelis have acted, and will continue to act, in the best interests of Israel.

I respect them for that.

If you truly understand the entire story about the Liberty attack, you'll know they were indeed acting in their best interests then as well. In that case, political interests over military ones.

Please fill me in on the entire story so I can understand and give them "respect" for their actions. After reading the accounts of the attack- "respect" is the last thing on my mind.

http://www.usslibertyveterans.org/

http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/ussliberty.html

http://www.gtr5.com/

•The jamming of our radios on both US Navy tactical and international maritime distress frequencies;
•The use of unmarked aircraft by the forces attacking the USS Liberty;
•The deliberate machine gunning of life rafts we had dropped over the side in anticipation of abandoning ship; and
•The recall of two flights of rescue aircraft that had been launched from Sixth Fleet aircraft carriers. After those flights were recalled, Sixth Fleet personnel listened to our calls for help as the attack continued knowing they were forbidden to come to our assistance.

#2922717 - 08/27/12 09:06 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: BMan]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Iran may have multiple sites doing refining, but at some point they have to bring everything together in one spot to build warheads.

That will only delay a couple bombs being build for a few weeks at most. If Israel is serious of stoping Iran they HAVE to shut it down across tha board. Iran spread all it out for a reason.

Had Japan hit Tinian while the parts were put together all they would have done is delayed the bombing by a few months.

#2922751 - 08/27/12 09:42 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: Wildcat]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

content Online
If Israel wanted to bring them to their knees they could use an EMP and set them back decades.

#2922924 - 08/28/12 06:21 AM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: de novo]
BMan
16 Point

I respect them for that.

Please fill me in on the entire story so I can understand and give them "respect" for their actions. After reading the accounts of the attack- "respect" is the last thing on my mind.

No, I won't. Do it yourself, but bear in mind that until you do a lot more research than it appears you have, you know very little of the actual story.

Here's a little field trip for you: go find a couple of the books written about the event, and get a far more in-depth understanding than a few conspiracy theory web sites full of half-truths.

Bear in mind that all nations, including our own, have done things in the past that many find wrong. Do I agree with the attack on the Liberty? No. Do I understand why it occurred? Yes; and so do the collectors who were on the Liberty (I have met two of them, both of whom, incidentally, blame the U.S. government and not the Israelis).

#2922932 - 08/28/12 06:29 AM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: Wildcat]
BMan
16 Point

That will only delay a couple bombs being build for a few weeks at most. If Israel is serious of stoping Iran they HAVE to shut it down across tha board. Iran spread all it out for a reason.

Had Japan hit Tinian while the parts were put together all they would have done is delayed the bombing by a few months.

The bombs weren't built in Tinian...

Building a nuclear warhead isn't a simple thing like filling in a casing with explosives; we're talking extremely precise machining of highly refined uranium/plutonium. It's also the one point in the process where all of the "marbles", so to speak, will be in one location and vulnerable.

#2922945 - 08/28/12 06:52 AM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: BMan]
348Winchester
6 Point

Loc: Coon Creek

The real attack on real liberty has been launched by the United States government against its own citizens.
#2922953 - 08/28/12 06:58 AM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: BMan]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Building a nuclear warhead isn't a simple thing like filling in a casing with explosives; we're talking extremely precise machining of highly refined uranium/plutonium. It's also the one point in the process where all of the "marbles", so to speak, will be in one location and vulnerable.

They WERE put together on Tinian.

The USS Indianapolis brought in the most important "PARTS" of the two bombs. The other parts were already on Tinian. it was all put together the day before liftoff. People think the ship carried the "bombs" themselves but it did not, only the important "parts".

#2923086 - 08/28/12 08:40 AM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: Wildcat]
BMan
16 Point

They WERE put together on Tinian.

The USS Indianapolis brought in the most important "PARTS" of the two bombs. The other parts were already on Tinian. it was all put together the day before liftoff. People think the ship carried the "bombs" themselves but it did not, only the important "parts".

I'll grant you they were assembled in Tinian. That's a far cry from machining the components - including the key components, the fissile ones - which took place in the U.S. over several months.

The bottom line is, the only thing that has to be destroyed is the fissile materials as they are being machined. Attacking the numerous centrifuges is neither necessary nor the best approach.

#2923591 - 08/28/12 03:07 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: BMan]
de novo
10 Point

No, I won't. Do it yourself, but bear in mind that until you do a lot more research than it appears you have, you know very little of the actual story.

Here's a little field trip for you: go find a couple of the books written about the event, and get a far more in-depth understanding than a few conspiracy theory web sites full of half-truths.

Bear in mind that all nations, including our own, have done things in the past that many find wrong. Do I agree with the attack on the Liberty? No. Do I understand why it occurred? Yes; and so do the collectors who were on the Liberty (I have met two of them, both of whom, incidentally, blame the U.S. government and not the Israelis).

Very effective debate strategy:
1. I'm right; however, I'll provide no evidence or sources.
2. You go find a book to prove I'm right, and you're wrong.
That's comical.

You made an assertion and then to back it up, I need to go read a book (title unprovided) to prove you're right. So in review, the US is attacked and suffers nearly 200 casualties and 1. You respect and understand why we were attacked and 2. imply it's our fault anyway.

I've read several books, articles, and conspiracy theory websites going back to the 1980's on this incident. I've read every version of the attack from all sides so, no, more research from my end isn't necessary. There are many more Liberty veterans who dispute your assertion than your two anonymous sources.

Here are two hardly unbiased sites (The ADL and The Jewish Virtual Library) with versions to back up your claims which inexplicably you chose not to provide yourself for those interested in this attack.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/liberty1.html

http://www.adl.org/israel/uss.asp

These findings notwithstanding, the case of the assault on the Liberty has never been closed. If anything, the accusations leveled against Israel have grown sharper with time. In recent years, an impressive number of former American officials have gone on record insisting that the Israeli action was, in fact, deliberate. These include Adm. Thomas H. Moorer, who was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) at the time of the Liberty incident, who has labeled the episode a "cover-up," adding that he "cannot accept the claim by the Israelis that this was a case of mistaken identity."1 Paul C. Warnke, then Under Secretary of the Navy, has written that

I found it hard to believe that it was, in fact, an honest mistake on the part of the Israeli air force units.... I suspect that in the heat of battle they figured that the presence of this American ship was inimical to their interests....

#2923597 - 08/28/12 03:11 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: de novo]
BMan
16 Point

Very effective debate strategy:
1. I'm right; however, I'll provide no evidence or sources.
2. You go find a book to prove I'm right, and you're wrong.
That's comical.

You made an assertion and then to back it up, I need to go read a book (title unprovided) to prove you're right. So in review, the US is attacked and suffers nearly 200 casualties and 1. You respect and understand why we were attacked and 2. imply it's our fault anyway.

I've read several books, articles, and conspiracy theory websites going back to the 1980's on this incident. I've read every version of the attack from all sides so, no, more research from my end isn't necessary. There are many more Liberty veterans who dispute your assertion than your two anonymous sources.

Here are two hardly unbiased sites (The ADL and The Jewish Virtual Library) with versions to back up your claims which inexplicably you chose not to provide yourself for those interested in this attack.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/liberty1.html

http://www.adl.org/israel/uss.asp

These findings notwithstanding, the case of the assault on the Liberty has never been closed. If anything, the accusations leveled against Israel have grown sharper with time. In recent years, an impressive number of former American officials have gone on record insisting that the Israeli action was, in fact, deliberate. These include Adm. Thomas H. Moorer, who was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) at the time of the Liberty incident, who has labeled the episode a "cover-up," adding that he "cannot accept the claim by the Israelis that this was a case of mistaken identity."1 Paul C. Warnke, then Under Secretary of the Navy, has written that

I found it hard to believe that it was, in fact, an honest mistake on the part of the Israeli air force units.... I suspect that in the heat of battle they figured that the presence of this American ship was inimical to their interests....

Who said it was a mistake on the part of the Israeli units?

Maybe you need to go back and read your sources again; you are obviously missing a lot.

The reason I won't educate you, is I refuse to babysit other posters. You said you disagreed with me, but you don't even know why the attack took place.

Good day.

#2923653 - 08/28/12 03:42 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: BMan]
de novo
10 Point

Maybe you need to go back and read your sources again; you are obviously missing a lot.

The reason I won't educate you, is I refuse to babysit other posters. You said you disagreed with me, but you don't even know why the attack took place.

Good day.

Where did you find the word mistake in my posts? The "accidental" attack is Israel's story.

Quotes from Adm. Thomas H. Moorer, who was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) at the time of the Liberty incident, and Paul C. Warnke, then Under Secretary of the Navy, were saying they didn't buy the Israeli oops excuse. Thanks for the prompt though uninformative reply. Good Day as well.

#2923673 - 08/28/12 03:56 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: de novo]
Jugfish
4 Point

Loc: Corbin, KY

Look at a map of the Persian Gulf region and Israel. Israel cannot attack Iran without our knowledge, consent, approval and cooperation. We control all of the airspace around Iran. The Israelis would have to refuel to make the round trip and we are the only force there that can do that for them. So stop saying that the Israelis will do whatever it takes. They won't because they cannot do it without us. That is just a fact. My son will be there in 3 months as a Surface Warfare Officer on a Destroyer. All of the training they have done for the last several months has been against simulated Iranian threats.
#2923679 - 08/28/12 03:59 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: de novo]
BMan
16 Point

Good day.

Where did you find the word mistake in my posts? The "accidental" attack is Israel's story.

Quotes from Adm. Thomas H. Moorer, who was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) at the time of the Liberty incident, and Paul C. Warnke, then Under Secretary of the Navy, were saying they didn't buy the Israeli oops excuse. Thanks for the prompt though uninformative reply. Good Day as well.

Did I write that you said it was a mistake? Nooooo...

Go back and read my posts on this subject; I never inferred the attack was a case of mistaken identity. In fact, I stated that the attack occurred for political reasons.

Thanks for your reply proving my point - you don't know what it was all about, and based on the posts you've made, you have no interest in finding out. Oh, well.

#2923691 - 08/28/12 04:13 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: Jugfish]
BMan
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Jugfish
Look at a map of the Persian Gulf region and Israel. Israel cannot attack Iran without our knowledge, consent, approval and cooperation. We control all of the airspace around Iran. The Israelis would have to refuel to make the round trip and we are the only force there that can do that for them. So stop saying that the Israelis will do whatever it takes. They won't because they cannot do it without us. That is just a fact. My son will be there in 3 months as a Surface Warfare Officer on a Destroyer. All of the training they have done for the last several months has been against simulated Iranian threats.

That's what much of this discussion has been about: is the U.S. going to support any Israeli operation or hinder it?

BTW, the Israelis have had aerial refuelling capability for over 30 years and are expanding it. They have the legs to go wherever they need to; ask the Tunisians.

Let's hope your son has a boring cruise!

#2923866 - 08/28/12 06:47 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: Jugfish]
citico_tim
10 Point

Jug, I would never underestimate the reach of the Israelis. There is no doubt in my mind that they have people already in Iran. They are willing to help the opposition, we aren't. They may not show up with the show of force we can, but they know the people in the area far better than we do. And they don't tie their own hands the way we do.

Like others have posted, this wouldn't be a days or weeks long air attack. They will be in and out, hitting a high stakes target, before the Iranians can put on their dresses and leave the Iranians worrying about when they're coming back.

And I appreciate your son's service. He'll be in our prayers.

Edited by citico_tim (08/28/12 06:59 PM)

-Thomas Jefferson

#2923893 - 08/28/12 07:17 PM Re: Carrier Strike Group Rushes To Persian Gulf [Re: Jugfish]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

content Online

Tell your son thank you for his service.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
101 registered (7mm08, David Sapp, TnKen, thebutcher, plinker22, TN Bolton, 16 invisible) and 135 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93404 Topics
1090593 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.111 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.