Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#291615 - 07/07/07 01:53 PM Seed that will do best in shade...BSK
Triumph
4 Point

Loc: Memphis

I found an old road bed running a ditch through the woods. The trees pretty well cover up the plot, however the road is grown over in native grass and broadleaf (weeds). What would be the best seed to plant in this low light situation? Moisture is great due to the ditch. Thanks,

#291621 - 07/07/07 02:09 PM Re: Seed that will do best in shade...BSK [Re: Triumph]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Loc: Bradyville, TN USA

I'm not BSK,.. but heres my opinion..

annual planting.... crimson clover and winter wheat and d. essex rape.

perennial planting.... ladino clover and winter wheat as a nurse crop.

#291630 - 07/07/07 02:23 PM Re: Seed that will do best in shade...BSK [Re: Triumph]
BigGameGuy
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

Originally Posted By: Triumph
...the road is grown over in native grass and broadleaf (weeds).

Sounds like you already have a great mixture there now.

#292140 - 07/08/07 08:52 AM Re: Seed that will do best in shade...BSK [Re: BigGameGuy]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I would only plant that road in the fall. As the leaves fall off the trees, you will have plenty of light. If the roadbed is not turned or limed/fertilized, use grain rye (not ryegrass). If some prep work is possible, go with wheat. Let is revert to weeds in the summertime. They will provide more food than anything you could plant.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#292173 - 07/08/07 09:49 AM Re: Seed that will do best in shade...BSK [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
I would only plant that road in the fall. . . . Let is revert to weeds in the summertime. They will provide more food than anything you could plant.

Simply worth repeating.

Can't tell you how many times I've watched deer selectively pick and eat the native ragweed that grows both in and around my sometimes lush clover plots --- they actually seem to prefer young ragweed over lush clover.

Best of all, the ragweed compares favorably in protein content to clover. Native forbs (such as ragweed and other "weeds") can be "culitivated" into wildlife plots simply by keeping some areas more open and periodically mowing (at least once a year). But beware that "grass" such as the dreaded fescue is not a forb and is of virtually no value to wildlife. You can put ryegrass in about the same boat as fescue. If deer are eating ryegrass, they probably have little else to eat.

#292216 - 07/08/07 10:34 AM Re: Seed that will do best in shade...BSK [Re: Wes Parrish]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Also, if you're fall planting a typical old logging trail running thru hardwoods, your efforts can easily be wasted in more ways than one.

1) The falling leaves will likely smother out your sprouting wheat, etc. If you can't walk the trail at least once during late Oct/early Nov with a backpack leaf blower, may not be worth your time to plant anything at all.

2) Since there's tyically little else close that be growing and "green" in hardwoods, the deer may quickly wipe out (eat up) your sprouting plot before it gets going.

3) Old logging roads & trails are typically very compacted soil. This means that without some soil prep (like at the very least doing what you can with a 4-wheeler disk), it's like trying to plant on a bed of rock. You'll get poor growth.

Taking the above in consideration, you "can" get great fall plots on old logging roads & trails in hardwood areas. Winter wheat is my personal favorite for these type plantings.

#303338 - 07/17/07 08:49 PM Re: Seed that will do best in shade...BSK [Re: Wes Parrish]
TNlandowner
6 Point

Loc: Carroll County

Man, you're describing my last failed attempt. I found an old "logging" road running thru a mature pine stand on my farm. After cutting the road open to 40 feet, I jumped on the tractor with tiller and went to work. I soon realized the road bed had chart gravel lying 3 inches under the soil! DANG>>>>> Ye'up the clover and chicory didn't do much last fall. However.... there is more native grasses and broadleave plants growing than I could imagine. With a few mixed clover plants that the turkey are falling in love with!

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
117 registered (EastTNHunter, Gonefishing2, copnhgn, DennyB, eastTN270, shouler mt, 15 invisible) and 198 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
93986 Topics
1097928 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.106 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.