Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2919942 - 08/25/12 02:05 PM Tellico Bear Hunting
348Winchester
6 Point

Loc: Coon Creek

I just obtained permission to stay at a cabin in the Green Cove area. I was thinking about giving it a try during one of the bear hunts. Any tips/suggestions for that area?
#2920159 - 08/25/12 06:37 PM Re: Tellico Bear Hunting [Re: 348Winchester]
fredfred
8 Point

Loc: crossville, tn

If you'd let a feller thats camping get a shower every couple days I might could help ya out LOL

Democrats and liberals have turned our country into a bunch of SISSYS

#2920222 - 08/25/12 07:42 PM Re: Tellico Bear Hunting [Re: fredfred]
348Winchester
6 Point

We could work something out!
#2920529 - 08/26/12 06:35 AM Re: Tellico Bear Hunting [Re: 348Winchester]
blountcountyboy
8 Point

Loc: Blount CountyTN ya know over n...

Here are a few tips that I can give you.

Introduce yourself and offer assistance if they need it.

Ask if it may be possible for you to just "tag along".

Don't shoot someone's dog first and foremost.That is a cardinal sin with houndsmen.

If your lucky enough to take a bear that was "chased" past you try to remember which dogs were doing what. Alot of houndsmen are happy enough just to know that their dogs were doing what they were surposed to be doing.

Offer a portion of the meat from your bear to the owner of the houndsmen. It's just good edicate.

If you arrive at a bear tree before the owner of the hounds or members of their group don't "roll" it out as soon as you get there. Wait on someone in the group to arrive and give you the go ahead to take it. Understand that even thou it's "not their bear" it should be compared to hunting from someone elses treestand after they have done all the work. Sure you can do it but, it's not right. Again try to remember which dogs were doing what as this tells the owner who are cheerleaders and who are the quarterbacks. Cheerleaders are pretty to look at but, don't really help win the game.

Ask if they need help with the dogs because this is a very adrinaline charged time for both the houndsmen and the dogs alike. Both have waited months for this moment and is the climax of all the hard work that has went into. After the kill ask to help them get the bear, dogs, and gear out of the woods. It's hard to carry a gun, lead multipal dogs and drag a bear with 2 or 3 people. This goes a long ways and people remember those that go out of their way to help them.

Don't be discouraged if your not "granted permission" to take the bear as many groups have young hunters or first time hunters that were promised or "drew" to take a bear.

Remember just because you may be given the "cold shoulder" by a few groups doesn't mean that everyone is like that. Houndsmen can be a suspicious bunch when it comes to others, especially someone that no one in the group knows. This may not be because they are doing something wrong and fear you are "the law" but, can it can be because they don't know your hunting or physical abilities. If I "take responsibility" of you and you can't make it out or get lost then I will be spending my time looking for or helping you. When my dogs are lost, are you one of the first to jump in the truck and say "I'll help you find them" even thou you've not had supper and it's well after dark. I remember those that have no vested intrest in my hounds but, are there though the long nights, thick and thin, good times and bad. If I let you take a bear over my dogs will you come back even thou it's out of your way to offer a portion of meat to me after you check it out. People like this get "first dibs" on the next bear tree.

It takes time to build a reputation and friendship with a group of houndsmen just like any group.

Just a few pointers/tips that might help you put a nice rug on the floor infront of the fireplace.

#2920572 - 08/26/12 07:46 AM Re: Tellico Bear Hunting [Re: blountcountyboy]
348Winchester
6 Point

I have not been invited by a group of houndsmen. I have just been offered use of a cabin in the area. I was just planning to spend a long weekend there hunting. I realize odds are low but just the hunting opportunity will be fun.

However, I would not turn down the opportunity to tag along with others! I would be willing to take others deer hunting here on the plateau in exchange for bear hunting.

#2920741 - 08/26/12 11:00 AM Re: Tellico Bear Hunting [Re: 348Winchester]
fredfred
8 Point

Blountycountyboy that's the best advise I've seen on here in awhile

#2932689 - 09/05/12 08:18 AM Re: Tellico Bear Hunting [Re: fredfred]
fredfred
8 Point

Training season opens up there today. Anybody going? I'll be there fri, sat, sun

#2934587 - 09/06/12 07:20 PM Re: Tellico Bear Hunting [Re: ]
JSPAL270
6 Point

Loc: BLOUNT CO

Seen a nice Bear sunday on foothills wma. on the straightaway before you go up the mountain
#2937549 - 09/09/12 07:39 PM Re: Tellico Bear Hunting [Re: JSPAL270]
HandGunner480
Spike

Loc: Tennessee

Someone shot your dog and paid you for it? Do they shoot it because it attacked?
#2938820 - 09/10/12 09:10 PM Re: Tellico Bear Hunting [Re: HandGunner480]
fredfred
8 Point

Originally Posted By: HandGunner480
Someone shot your dog and paid you for it? Do they shoot it because it attacked?

I don't know his exact situation but I'm gonna say the shot at something black coming through the laurel and it was his dog. Alot of Plotts are black as coal and can be easily mistaken for a hog

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (buckarewhohayackhack) and 51 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.