Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#2913866 - 08/20/12 10:56 AM Dedicated CZ Squirrel Rifle
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

I have been looking at the CZs hard the last few months, particular the CZ 452 Amercian .22lr and the CZ 453 American .22lr (per several members recommendations over the last few years)

Question here: if you were in the market to purchase ONE CZ rifle today to strictly be used for squirrel hunting, and your budget for the gun was $500 or thereabouts (I have been saving a while now), which model would it be, as well as specifics (bbl length, magazine capacity, trigger weight, longs/shorts, etc) and why? I have used a shotgun my entire life but Redblood and Hillbilly Hunter have inspired me over the last few years to take the leap and get after'em with a rifle. Any and all advice and suggestions you offer up will be greatly appreciated. Anyone can chime in with other suggestions as well. Thanks in advance everyone.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#2913898 - 08/20/12 11:31 AM Re: Dedicated CZ Squirrel Rifle [Re: Andy S.]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Andy, I've been seriously thinking about getting one of the CZ's, too, and mainly for squirrel hunting. However, I'm giving consideration to that CZ autoloader now. I wouldn't expect it to be hardly as accurate, but bet it's better than most .22 autos. Considering I take most of my squirrels between 15 and 30 yards no matter what I'm shooting, anything more accurate than "accurate enough" may not be much advantage.

Seems when I'm squirrel hunting (mainly in August-September) there are often multiple squirrels cutting in a single tree. When one is shot, there are often quick opportunities to get another or two. Even though I can work that bolt as quick as anyone for a 2nd shot, it's an advantage NOT to have to move, even a finger, in being ready to fire a 2nd round. And for some reason, game does not "hear" the action work on an auto, while they can with a bolt gun.

Like you, just trying to consider all the pros & cons. I assume the CZ bolt actions will accommodate a .22 short, which could be an advantage (more quiet), too, while the autos would not.

Don't know if you've done much squirrel hunting, but hunting them with a .22 can be a disadvantage on windy days, as well in not being able to safely take some shots you would otherwise be able with a shotgun. Most of the time, I come home with more squirrels when carrying a shotgun.

#2913925 - 08/20/12 11:53 AM Re: Dedicated CZ Squirrel Rifle [Re: Wes Parrish]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
Seems when I'm squirrel hunting (mainly in August-September) there are often multiple squirrels cutting in a single tree.
Same time of year I will be doing the majority of my squirrel hunting.

Like you, just trying to consider all the pros & cons.
Exactly my intent, thus I am hoping RB and HH will chime in at a minimum, as well as any others who have a suggestion. I am all ears.

Don't know if you've done much squirrel hunting,
Been at it 21 years, missing a few while in undergrad and grad school and the two years I lived in New Orleans, but now I am back at it full swing, thus the reason I want to make the jump to rimfire. Plus, a little extra practice shooting a rifle has never hurt anyone to my knowledge.

Most of the time, I come home with more squirrels when carrying a shotgun.
I expect this will hold true for me as well, but hey, I am up for the extra challenge and heartache. \:\)

#2913928 - 08/20/12 12:00 PM Re: Dedicated CZ Squirrel Rifle [Re: Wes Parrish]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

However, I'm giving consideration to that CZ autoloader now.
I assume you are referring to the 512, correct?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ...22+Hardwood+Blu

#2913930 - 08/20/12 12:01 PM Re: Dedicated CZ Squirrel Rifle [Re: Andy S.]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Yes! That's the one!

One advantage of a .22 over a shotgun is the "quieter" .22 doesn't seem to "spook" the squirrels as much as a "louder" gun. About the only thing I wish were different with this CZ autoloader is it's barrel length. It's barrel length is shorter (albeit longer than most autoloaders). The CZ bolt actions have longer barrels, and are therefore a little "quieter" in the woods.

Sometimes you can walk up on a big hickory that has say 4 squirrels cutting in it. You can often shoot one with a .22, and the others won't even stop cutting. More times than not, shoot that first one with a shogun, and the others not only stop cutting, but are more interested in looking for whatever made that loud racket. Eventually, one of the squirrels may see you, and all the survivors take off. This just happens less with a .22.

But back to the pro and cons, it's much easier to hit a fleeing squirrel running down a limb with a shotgun! \:\)

#2913978 - 08/20/12 12:51 PM Re: Dedicated CZ Squirrel Rifle [Re: Wes Parrish]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

The 512 would get a serious look from me as well, and possibly still may, but I have read that every day users like myself (not the gunsmith type) will not like the stock trigger, especially for head shots on squirrels and such. I was reading over at rimfirecentral.com this morning and came across a few of these links. I thought you may be interested to read/view them as well.

http://www.kilwell.co.nz/Images/Product%20Reviews/CZ512SemiAuto22LR.pdf (good review)

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397948 (bad trigger discussion)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=638142 (not so good review and discussion)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kViao4-UTkY (Informative YouTube Video about the .22 Mag model)

#2914515 - 08/20/12 08:46 PM Re: Dedicated CZ Squirrel Rifle [Re: Andy S.]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

sorry for the delay andy. read this thread at work, but i couldnt sign in till i got home. when i purchased my cz, i was looking for the ultimate squirrel rifle for my hunting style and found it. i can honestly say, i have not found a con with this gun. The pros- lightweight, deadly accurate, adjustable trigger, balanced and powerful ejector (something that failed me with hard use on my marlin bolt guns.) my first hunt with mone was opening day 1999, and it ended with a 12 shot limit. had to tinker with the trigger a bit to get the pull weight right (2.5 lbs) and all the creep out but it is amazing now. i have the original 452 american. it is about 3 oz lighter than the new ones, not sure why. i know they make a 453 and a 455, but not sure i know the difference. i had a burris compact 2-9x32 that was optically terribe. replaced it with leupold rimfire 2-7x28 with extra fine duplex and it is fantastic. simply put, it is the best rifle i have ever held. they are baalnced and sleek. hereis a pic of mine after a limit hunt that took about 90 minutes on an old homestead a couple miles from my house

#2914543 - 08/20/12 09:00 PM Re: Dedicated CZ Squirrel Rifle [Re: redblood]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Thanks for the feedback RB, I sincerely appreciate it.

#2915272 - 08/21/12 01:51 PM Re: Dedicated CZ Squirrel Rifle [Re: Andy S.]
tasaman
8 Point

Loc: Woodlawn, TN

My neighbor bought the cheapest CZ they had on the rack. I think he paid $260 or so for it. Said it was most accurate 22 he's ever owned. Let us know what you get and show some groups and kills.
#2915554 - 08/21/12 06:45 PM Re: Dedicated CZ Squirrel Rifle [Re: Wes Parrish]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Yes! That's the one!

One advantage of a .22 over a shotgun is the "quieter" .22 doesn't seem to "spook" the squirrels as much as a "louder" gun. About the only thing I wish were different with this CZ autoloader is it's barrel length. It's barrel length is shorter (albeit longer than most autoloaders). The CZ bolt actions have longer barrels, and are therefore a little "quieter" in the woods.

Sometimes you can walk up on a big hickory that has say 4 squirrels cutting in it. You can often shoot one with a .22, and the others won't even stop cutting. More times than not, shoot that first one with a shogun, and the others not only stop cutting, but are more interested in looking for whatever made that loud racket. Eventually, one of the squirrels may see you, and all the survivors take off. This just happens less with a .22.

But back to the pro and cons, it's much easier to hit a fleeing squirrel running down a limb with a shotgun! \:\)

If you want extreme quiet and the power of a .22 short. You should look at the Benjamin Marauder .22, It is so quiet you can only hear the bullet smack the squirrel. \:\)

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
78 registered (Mossy, Outdoor Enthusiast, JayMc, kel, fatboy, TNGal, 9 invisible) and 138 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95881 Topics
1122781 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.047 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.