Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#2913713 - 08/20/12 08:42 AM Re: Tennessee's Toughest Limit...Revisited [Re: redblood]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Originally Posted By: redblood
I try to post this every yr. with all my obligations i am a little late this go around. My passion for squirrel huntingbhas always been strong. From my first 2 squirrels, a pair of fox squirrels, from the same crooked hickory in an island woodlot- i was hooked. However it was an article I read in the early 1990's in my high school library, that truly fueled my addiction. It appeared in the TN Sportsman (i believe) and it was entitled TN'S Toughest Limit. in the article, the author stated that a one hunt limit of 10 squirrels was not only a challenge but it was toughest feat in all of volunteer state hunting. to do it with a rimfire, bordered on impossible. The desire to prove the authors notion false, fueled me to be a better hunter and rig myself with better equipment. I came close many times before reaching my goal on mid september morning, my freshman yr of college. since this time, my love of squirrel hunting has increased each yr. 20+ LIMITS later, i still feel like that kid with an ol marlin 39 carbine. And you can bet that i will be under a hickory tree somewhere. I hope u will too

I always enjoy reading about your squirrel hunting trips. Looking forwards to see you get your many limits this year.

I'll be out Saturday morning hunting with an old Savage 24 (top barrel .22 lr, bottom barrel .410). The first shot is always with the .22, but it's got open sights, so I'll probably be shooting the .410 quite a bit.

#2913837 - 08/20/12 10:27 AM Re: Tennessee's Toughest Limit...Revisited [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: buzz mcmanus
I always enjoy reading about your squirrel hunting trips. Looking forwards to see you get your many limits this year.
Me too.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#2913851 - 08/20/12 10:39 AM Re: Tennessee's Toughest Limit...Revisited [Re: Andy S.]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

I was out scouting Saturday morning in Haywood county and saw several squirrels cutting hickories and having a big time chasing each other and such. I saw a group of 5-6 gray squirrels in one grove of hickory trees and 2 more in another hickory on the way back to the truck, as well as several encounters with deer, mainly does and fawns. On a a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best, I would say the cuttings I found would equate to about a 5. I'm thinking they will really be at it this week and this weekend in my area. I plan to give it a whirl Saturday and possibly Sunday to see for myself. Best of luck to all who go.

#2913864 - 08/20/12 10:55 AM Re: Tennessee's Toughest Limit...Revisited [Re: Buzzard Breath]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

I try to post this every yr. with all my obligations i am a little late this go around. My passion for squirrel huntingbhas always been strong. From my first 2 squirrels, a pair of fox squirrels, from the same crooked hickory in an island woodlot- i was hooked. However it was an article I read in the early 1990's in my high school library, that truly fueled my addiction. It appeared in the TN Sportsman (i believe) and it was entitled TN'S Toughest Limit. in the article, the author stated that a one hunt limit of 10 squirrels was not only a challenge but it was toughest feat in all of volunteer state hunting. to do it with a rimfire, bordered on impossible. The desire to prove the authors notion false, fueled me to be a better hunter and rig myself with better equipment. I came close many times before reaching my goal on mid september morning, my freshman yr of college. since this time, my love of squirrel hunting has increased each yr. 20+ LIMITS later, i still feel like that kid with an ol marlin 39 carbine. And you can bet that i will be under a hickory tree somewhere. I hope u will too

I'll be out Saturday morning hunting with an old Savage 24 (top barrel .22 lr, bottom barrel .410). The first shot is always with the .22, but it's got open sights, so I'll probably be shooting the .410 quite a bit.

Buzz,
I would try to talk you into taking me along or coming by the farm, but for some crazy reason I will be in Ohio at a wedding! Did I just say that? Yeah, my brother is getting married. If there's a silver lining, at least he didn't wait until deer season opened.

#2914244 - 08/20/12 05:28 PM Re: Tennessee's Toughest Limit...Revisited [Re: Buzzard Breath]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

thanks, i appreciate it. i will be squirrel hunting in illinois on friday but may miss the sat opener. i have to attend a farm auction and will come back either depressed or broke

#2915281 - 08/21/12 01:58 PM Re: Tennessee's Toughest Limit...Revisited [Re: redblood]
tasaman
8 Point

Loc: Woodlawn, TN

I go deer hunting see nothing but squirrels and turkey many days. Go squirrel hunting and see deer and turkey. Go turkey hunting and see deer and squirrels. I am going to try to do better on bushy tails this year though.
#2915294 - 08/21/12 02:07 PM Re: Tennessee's Toughest Limit...Revisited [Re: tasaman]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Originally Posted By: tasaman
I go deer hunting see nothing but squirrels and turkey many days. Go squirrel hunting and see deer and turkey. Go turkey hunting and see deer and squirrels.
I know the feeling. This sounds like my hunting buds and I pissing and moaning about everything, Ha!

Edited by Andy S. (08/21/12 02:08 PM)

#3333366 - 08/23/13 04:16 PM Re: Tennessee's Toughest Limit...Revisited [Re: Andy S.]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

seasonal bump

#3333558 - 08/23/13 08:17 PM Re: Tennessee's Toughest Limit...Revisited [Re: redblood]
FOX FIRE
8 Point

Loc: Mt. Eagle

Squirrel hunt'n was nearly a religon when I was a kid & it made up a big part of my hunt'n life, loved it even more than deer season.

After get'n domesticated (married) work consumed most of my time, drove over the road for about 18 years & was stay'n gone well over 300 days a year, but wifey set her foot down & insisted I take a local job so I could be home.

Didnt take long to get the bug to hunt again & squirrel was top of the list, once I got in the woods it was like a trip back in time, the smell of the woods, sounds of squirrels do'n what they do and just the feel of a gun in my hand was the greatest thing, never realized how much I missed it untill then, was like be'n 16 again.

Squirrel hunt'n is practicaly a southern tradition that gets handed down with each generation, I can remember my grand pa take'n me & my fave old uncle Luke & his cur dog, but my cuzin was the one I hunted with teh most since we were nearly the same age, think I'll see if he wants to go do some squirrel hunt'n in a weekend or so.

Lifes short, enjoy it while ya can.

Great thread by the way.

Edited by FOX FIRE (08/23/13 08:20 PM)

#3333583 - 08/23/13 08:38 PM Re: Tennessee's Toughest Limit...Revisited [Re: FOX FIRE]
RUGER Administrator
Mouse Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Headed out in the morning for my second hunt of the year.

The Marlin .17 is 1 for 1 so far. \:D

I know of a few hickory and a couple beech that should produce an opportunity or three.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
84 registered (ADR, WORM82, dh1984, Mossy Oak, 280longshot, 2in1shot, 11 invisible) and 115 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
91015 Topics
1063543 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 1.077 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.