Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2915166 - 08/21/12 12:27 PM Proper Navigation Tips: How to not get lost!
BirdDog123
4 Point

Loc: Tennesssee, US

Hey guys,

I do a lot of backpacking, backcountry camping/hunting, etc.

When possible I try to take a topographic map of the area I am in and use it with a compass/flagging tape.

However, there are times (especially when hunting WMAs) in which my map is very basic and does not give good topography. In these instances, I try use flagging tape and a handheld GPS to pinpoint where I got off the trail and pinpoint any hotspots I find while scouting.

My biggest fear is for the GPS to somehow become unreliable. I often take extra batteries but I don't want to be too reliant on it ya know?

Can anyone provide tips/share experiences for how they keep their directional bearings in the wild?

#2915257 - 08/21/12 01:37 PM Re: Proper Navigation Tips: How to not get lost! [Re: BirdDog123]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

I don't own a GPS. If i'm hunting in a new area, i get topo maps of the area. there is the map store in knoxville, tn. where i get some of my maps. I usually will try orient my map and pinpoint where i start and take a bearing on which way i'm going . if i change directions, i will take another bearing and then reverse it coming out.

#2915584 - 08/21/12 07:10 PM Re: Proper Navigation Tips: How to not get lost! [Re: Brisco Darlin]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

If you get lost on a wma pick a direction and stick to it. There are enough roads you'll find one if you keep on keepin on.

Carry something like a compass.

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#2916199 - 08/22/12 09:12 AM Re: Proper Navigation Tips: How to not get lost! [Re: Master Chief]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

I always have at least one compass.

WMA's are pretty simple. Park and figure out which direction you head into the woods from the road. Say North off an East West Road. Wander around in woods North of road. Try and determine if I am going more East or West of my starting point....

Head South back to road and then East or West to parking spot.

#2922810 - 08/27/12 10:43 PM Re: Proper Navigation Tips: How to not get lost! [Re: fishboy1]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

If your hunting the big areas out west...study the forest/blm maps before you go in and pick out an identifiable land mark i.e. mountain. A good ol fashion compass is a great tool as well!

I hike a lot in the southern appalachian mountains and will tell you first hand it is very easy to get lost there...even on the AT. You wake up early one morning and its raining or foggy and you could head the wrong way very easily, or stride off a spur trail and go 3 miles before you know it. Maps are golden, study them and have them with you at all times. Take a look at them throughout the day as well.

Maps, maps, maps...cannot say enough about them. Study a lot before you head into an area that has potential to be confusing. Not to many in TN, but they are there...I would even say LBL is tricky if you go far enough in to it. Although you can come across a road in 4-5 miles or less in most places of LBL.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#2924012 - 08/28/12 08:36 PM Re: Proper Navigation Tips: How to not get lost! [Re: AT Hiker]
fairchaser
8 Point

Loc: TN, USA

Have a plan, a backup plan and an emergency plan. I carry my Iphone with google maps so I know exactly where I am and where Im going with a touch of the button. I also have a GPS with the landmarks waypointed in so I can get back without wandering too much. Then have a compass/map and know what direction I need to travel to get back. All else fails, I look at the sun to determine direction which is agood idea to know anyway. If you are traveling beyond phone service, I recommend a satphone for emergencies. Always be prepared to spend the night. Good luck.

#2924483 - 08/29/12 08:41 AM Re: Proper Navigation Tips: How to not get lost! [Re: fairchaser]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

first rule of survival. redundancy. i like your ideas .

#2930623 - 09/03/12 02:01 PM Re: Proper Navigation Tips: How to not get lost! [Re: Brisco Darlin]
corymhoward
6 Point

Loc: Bruceton

always have extra...."two is one and one is none" learn resections and intersections as far as navigation goes if terrain features permit it
#2935350 - 09/07/12 11:26 AM Re: Proper Navigation Tips: How to not get lost! [Re: Brisco Darlin]
BirdDog123
4 Point

Loc: Tennesssee, US

Originally Posted By: Brisco Darlin
first rule of survival. redundancy. i like your ideas .

Yes sir! When I am bowhunting on public land I bring a compass, Topo map, flagging tape, and GPS. Plus I have enough primitive skills to make a small shelter and food to last 2 days. Occaisonally, I will leave a note on my windshield indicating when I plan to come back and my general whereabouts.

A lot of that may be overkill but it is worth it to see your wife and kids.

#2946144 - 09/17/12 12:12 PM Re: Proper Navigation Tips: How to not get lost! [Re: BirdDog123]
J.Maples
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Englewood, TN

Great subject, especially for new hunters and even old farts like me. Your batteries can go dead (have extras). maps and compass can get lost in rough terrain, etc, Murphy's law,if it can happen it probably will, better have water and a flashlight handy.

I'm local to TN., but have gotten lost off of Cades Cove Rd.
Good Hunting, better not try it in Cades cove tho. LOL

Guess I'm just not Macho enough.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Taylor, RUGER, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
70 registered (fullstream, smalljawbasser, moondawg, Mickey_mvp, SluggoB12, mountain man 71, 9 invisible) and 85 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93074 Topics
1087600 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.114 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.