Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#2911855 - 08/18/12 08:59 AM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: fishboy1]
cmn
Spike

Loc: nashville,tn

I said anyone making money off a public resource. I am a guide so I do include myself. Courtesy seems to be lost on the water by both sides of an equation. Please understand it is not about FISHERMAN versus non fisherman. This is about the fact I was told I am the only one complaining. If this is true then it will die very quickly. I am seeking a sit down with all parties involved, so is the agency. I am trying to see if indeed I am the only one. Please do not make this out to be an attack. I never said limits or hate or keep away. I clean the river up weekly. Every user group leaves trash and is not courteous to the other. Not everyone!! What is wrong with doing what I am asked by calling for comments??
#2912249 - 08/18/12 06:18 PM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: cmn]
waterman
4 Point

Loc: roane county

love the caney but agree hard to fish with all canoes. enjoy the river with my family as boater as well. how bout a daily quota draw? understood it would be hard to police, but how bout minimal quota fee with heavy fines? how bout no fishing 1 week, no recreational boating the next week? might give the overfished areas a little break. tellico has no fishing thursday/ friday yet you can still enjoy the river and camp.I think the caney could use a break overall. not the fishery it was 10 years ago
#2912313 - 08/18/12 07:46 PM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: waterman]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: waterman
love the caney but agree hard to fish with all canoes. enjoy the river with my family as boater as well. how bout a daily quota draw? understood it would be hard to police, but how bout minimal quota fee with heavy fines? how bout no fishing 1 week, no recreational boating the next week? might give the overfished areas a little break. tellico has no fishing thursday/ friday yet you can still enjoy the river and camp.I think the caney could use a break overall. not the fishery it was 10 years ago

It isn't doable by TWRA or TWRC. It would take legislation. Since it is federally controlled waters, I suspect it would take federal legislation.

Good luck on either the state or federal level.

#2912507 - 08/18/12 10:12 PM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: scn]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

It's so weird - Concerning the Caney water quality and regulations - after all those countless hours of meetings and sweat and hard work and the thousands of words I've written and the great partnerships forged between organizations and all the huge successes we never dreamed we could accomplish...

I never saw this one coming. I rarely fish this once great river anymore. I just lost that lovin' feelin'. It reminds me a lot of going to Opryland when I was a kid - lots of riffraff, no relaxation, maybe okay for a kid, but not my relaxing cup of tea anymore.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and in my circle of fishing friends, you bet your azz it's among the most talked about subjects. I know there are a bunch of others pretty upset about it. I don't have an answer that appeases everyone.

The only one I came up with is to have the pleasure boaters put in in the lower river near the ball fields or at Stonewall where the water has warmed a little and there are less trout and fishermen. That's a seven or twelve mile float the boaters could have. I'm sure I'm missing something in that plan that someone will bitch at, but I can't think of anything wrong with it off-hand.

So what do they do out west on those trout destination rivers? I don't recall seeing the leisure boats out there. Are they forbidden on some of those waters? Is there a limit on the number of non-fishing craft the outfitters can put in? Do the canoers have to monetarily support the resource like the fishermen do?

I'm just wondering if there are good solutions we could emulate to make it a more quality experience on the Caney.

Thanks for posting, Chris.

By the way, I forwarded the request to a bunch of folks and wrote Jeff (the Commissioner) an email.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#2912509 - 08/18/12 10:14 PM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: scn]
cmn
Spike

Quotas and limitations are NOT an option. Hell I am selfish if I could have it my way... I just want to see some kind of solution. Today when the water came up the gravel bar shrank to nothing. With a van and a loaded trailer with 2 trucks there was no room for the 2 empty trailers that were left. This caused a jam up at the ramp. I believe in active loading and unloading but not dropping trailers for hours and setting up camp. Sorry to be a broken record but this is wrong.
#2912515 - 08/18/12 10:18 PM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: cmn]
cmn
Spike

Thank you for all the comments whether you are on "my side" or not. I think debate is healthy. Sorry if anyone is mad because of this. Thank you to all who are willing to voice an opinion to the TWRA and TWRC. Gil I look forward to teaching your brother so don't give up hope. As a landowner on the river it is like a dagger in my heart....
#2912573 - 08/19/12 12:10 AM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: cmn]
TNhunter
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN, Rutherford

Are you sure there isn't an ulterior motive here. I remember a nice spot to hunt at lock 5 that due to the voice of basically a single landowner it got shut down for originally all hunting and then they opened it back up as youth only. Landowner has a nice sanctuary joining his land now.

"If there is unrest, the government will seize all the registered guns."

"You need guns and ammo first then everything else."

#2912659 - 08/19/12 08:13 AM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: TNhunter]
cmn
Spike

No ulterior motive here. The Corps owns the gravel bar. Twra manages or owns the ramps. No way to make it private
#2912727 - 08/19/12 09:48 AM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: cmn]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Seems to me the problem is education.

Goobers at the ramp happen everywhere. We used to stop at the public boat ramp on the way home from surfing to watch the trainwreck on Saturday afternoons.

A little education and courtesy would have avoided 70% of the stupidity that went on.

Its amazing what happens when people believe the same thing. Educate people that you DONT camp out on the boat ramp or turn around to load/unload your boat. You DONT park like a goober and block up the parking lot and turn around. You DONT litter and crowd other people on the river. You DONT wade out into the only navigable part of the river, then get pissed when people have to crowd you to get by.

All this information could be passed on by a cheap flyer at the boat ramps made on an office copier for very little money. I'm betting the canoe rental places would be happy to hand one to their customers with their receipt.

No government needed. No restrictions, fees, or fines needed. No closed boat ramps, no canoe only days, no fishing only days....

Now all that is necessary is for someone with a vested interest to take leadership. Ask around for some input. Mock up a flyer. See if TWRA or Corps would be willing to chip in for some signs, flyers, and a plastic flyer holder at the problem ramps. If they won't chip in, ask the pros, clubs, outfitters if they would all participate. Will cost a heck of a lot less than having Fees/Taxes/Fines, closed river days and the like.

#2912828 - 08/19/12 11:49 AM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: fishboy1]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: fishboy1
Seems to me the problem is education.

Goobers at the ramp happen everywhere. We used to stop at the public boat ramp on the way home from surfing to watch the trainwreck on Saturday afternoons.

A little education and courtesy would have avoided 70% of the stupidity that went on.

Its amazing what happens when people believe the same thing. Educate people that you DONT camp out on the boat ramp or turn around to load/unload your boat. You DONT park like a goober and block up the parking lot and turn around. You DONT litter and crowd other people on the river. You DONT wade out into the only navigable part of the river, then get pissed when people have to crowd you to get by.

All this information could be passed on by a cheap flyer at the boat ramps made on an office copier for very little money. I'm betting the canoe rental places would be happy to hand one to their customers with their receipt.

No government needed. No restrictions, fees, or fines needed. No closed boat ramps, no canoe only days, no fishing only days....

Now all that is necessary is for someone with a vested interest to take leadership. Ask around for some input. Mock up a flyer. See if TWRA or Corps would be willing to chip in for some signs, flyers, and a plastic flyer holder at the problem ramps. If they won't chip in, ask the pros, clubs, outfitters if they would all participate. Will cost a heck of a lot less than having Fees/Taxes/Fines, closed river days and the like.

David, contrary to allegations by some that TWRA has turned a blind eye to the Caney issues and done nothing, Director Carter put together a working group with LE, boating, biologists, I&E, etc. over a month ago to study the issues and make recommendations back to the staff on specific actions to address the problems.

They met this past week, and it is my understanding that your suggestions on education and signage are high on the list.

Thanks for a well-thought out analysis of good options for the situation.

Edited by scn (08/19/12 12:29 PM)

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
79 registered (TN RDG RNR, Beekeeper, TNTomtaker01, Tnscooter63, OneShot, Pine Ridge, 14 invisible) and 140 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85291 Topics
1030864 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.38 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.