Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#2910945 - 08/17/12 09:28 AM Caney Fork Problems Help needed
cmn
Spike

Loc: nashville,tn

Sorry about the last post. The TWRA commission needs to hear from anyone concerned about congestion, trash, access problems... Please forward any comments to commissioner McMillin at Jeff.mcmillin@tn.gov Thank you
#2911155 - 08/17/12 12:20 PM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: cmn]
MidTennFisher
4 Point

Loc: Tennessee

What can they do? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely HATE fishing that river on a weekend afternoon due to the swarms of canoes thanks to Canoe the Caney, the gravelbar crowds that think they're at Miami Beach, and anyone in general who trashes that beautiful river. We don't own the river though (well we sort of do since we pay TWRA to maintain it) and I don't think TWRA can actually put a stop to the people who want to party in the water like they're at a beach nor can they stop 300 canoe trips being sold every Saturday. I absolutely don't fish the Caney on the weekends anymore unless it's early evening or very early morning.
#2911374 - 08/17/12 03:23 PM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: MidTennFisher]
cmn
Spike

We can ask for more enforcement, enforce the "no parking" signs. Why is it ok for a business to use a TWRA ramp with non licensed (registered) boats, block the gravel bars and tie up ramps? These same people drop off empty trailers and leave them. I guess it would be ok for 10 fisherman to pull vehicles with trailers down on the gravel bar blocking access. Lock the cars and go fishing. They put nothing into the resource by either registration or additional "outfitter" fees. TWRA officers still use up their limited time in checking these folks.....
#2911451 - 08/17/12 04:41 PM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: cmn]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: cmn
We can ask for more enforcement, enforce the "no parking" signs. Why is it ok for a business to use a TWRA ramp with non licensed (registered) boats, block the gravel bars and tie up ramps? These same people drop off empty trailers and leave them. I guess it would be ok for 10 fisherman to pull vehicles with trailers down on the gravel bar blocking access. Lock the cars and go fishing. They put nothing into the resource by either registration or additional "outfitter" fees. TWRA officers still use up their limited time in checking these folks.....

Chris, Why pose the question when you have already been given the legal answer?

#2911650 - 08/17/12 10:16 PM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: scn]
cmn
Spike

Because just knowing an answer and not trying to pursue a solution is not doing your job to the fullest. Sorry you are a friend but I feel the agency is not paying enough attention to the #1 tailwater in the state.
#2911670 - 08/17/12 10:54 PM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: cmn]
TNhunter
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN, Rutherford

Maybe there are too many fisherman for the kayakers and canoers to be able to enjoy the river. Been on it for the first time in my life this summer in my kayak (5 different days) and dang if the fisherman don't act like they own the river. I try my best to go behind them and avoid them as much as possible but when a guy is fly fishing with a big back cast or what ever fancy term it is or when they're casting to both sides of the river while wading out to chest deep water I make a point to tell them I try to avoid them but if they're basically blocking the path I really don't give a %{#{#{ how close I get to them or their lime. And btw I have a lifetime sportsmans license so don't assume any and all users of the river that aren't fisherman aren't paying their dues for the club.

"If there is unrest, the government will seize all the registered guns."

"You need guns and ammo first then everything else."

#2911732 - 08/18/12 12:58 AM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: TNhunter]
CATCHDAWG
10 Point

Loc: Bradley co. TN

Originally Posted By: TNhunter
Maybe there are too many fisherman for the kayakers and canoers to be able to enjoy the river. Been on it for the first time in my life this summer in my kayak (5 different days) and dang if the fisherman don't act like they own the river. I try my best to go behind them and avoid them as much as possible but when a guy is fly fishing with a big back cast or what ever fancy term it is or when they're casting to both sides of the river while wading out to chest deep water I make a point to tell them I try to avoid them but if they're basically blocking the path I really don't give a %{#{#{ how close I get to them or their lime. And btw I have a lifetime sportsmans license so don't assume any and all users of the river that aren't fisherman aren't paying their dues for the club.
The Hiawassee on my side of the state is no different. The river belongs to everyone, everyone has a right to enjoy it. I paddle, I fish, sometimes I paddle and fish. People are just gonna have to learn to co-exist it is what it is. SPORTSMEN making a attempt to run others off the river is not a image I care to have...

#2911744 - 08/18/12 04:37 AM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: CATCHDAWG]
cmn
Spike

Guys I also have a lifetime license. What the main issue is boils down to access. You are correct everyone has a right to the river. I do not believe that anyone has a right to set up tents, drop empty trailers, park vehicles and choke off a gravel bar access to the river. I am glad that you try to use common sense around other users. I NEVER said limit the boaters. I do believe that Anyone using public property for commercial and financial gain ought to have to pay something for the use. This is not a debate about behavior on the river by any user group. I understand the fisherman being frustrated when line after line of watercraft many having water fights, splashing, screaming.... seem not to care who is on the river.
#2911787 - 08/18/12 07:40 AM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: cmn]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

What a great idea! MORE TAXES!!!!

What about a whining tax?

IF the weekend warriors are blocking legal access then there is a legit gripe and TWRA or Sheriff should make them move or ticket them.

IF the outfitters are breaking the law, then the officials should be notified and take appropriate action.

Just because someone isn't doing what I want, doesn't mean there should be ANOTHER law or TAX to punish them.

How about a FLY FISHERMAN tax? If you fly fish the Caney you have to pay an extra $100 since those tiny flies are likely to be swallowed and gill hook trout. That results in higher mortality and they are using MORE of the stocked fish resource?

How about a Bait Slinger tax? For the same reasons as above?

And Boaters should be taxed 3x more since they use the ramp....

Where does the stupid notion that FEES/TAXES are the solution to every problem end ?

#2911806 - 08/18/12 08:04 AM Re: Caney Fork Problems Help needed [Re: fishboy1]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Just reread my above post and it comes across a little "hot". My apologies.

Before we get all excited and start demanding that the Gubment "do something" imagine this situation.

A friend introduces you to the outdoors, you are hooked and take up fishing. With great excitement you travel across the state with your new boat and fish a new spot.

You arrive early, and after a couple tries, get your boat launched and go park your trailer. The parking lot is mostly empty and you do your best to park your trailer where it will be out of the way. Little do you know that you are parked opposite the "normal" direction which allows maximum spaces. Yep, you are "That goober" who is hogging the parking lot.

You fish, load up and go home.

Upon arriving the next time, there is a line to get in, a booth set up and you have to pay a "user fee". You get on the water late, and grumble about the unfair fees being charged to boaters. The next year when you go to renew your registration, there is an ADDITIONAL $100 tacked on since you as a boater use MORE of the resource... after all its only "fair".

Scenario 2.
Same as above except when you get in from fishing, there is a "boat ramp courtesy and river health" flyer under your wiper. It explains boat launching/trailer parking, fishing/boating courtesy tips, and littering/river health. Some private individual went to the trouble to take 45 minutes to whip up a flyer on their computer, ran 50 copies off at the local KInkos and stuck them under every wiper in the lot after parking THEIR trailer. Total cost $12 and about 2 hours of their life.

Scenario 3.
Guides and or club fishermen agree that things are getting a little out of hand and chip in a few bucks apiece and have a big sign made with ramp procedure, fishing courtesy, and non littering. They get permission to install the signs at the main ramps on the problem tail waters. Total one time cost $100/ per ramp.

Which sounds better? Having GOVERNMENT get in your wallet and boat every time you want to fish/kayak/wade? Or maybe the "higher level users" could take some leadership and help educate the rookies for a better experience for everyone?

Edited by fishboy1 (08/18/12 08:07 AM)

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14
13111 Registered Users
Who's Online
124 registered (Planking, ruger7mag, Remington742, scott co htr, chris1976, BOGS615, 18 invisible) and 155 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13111 Members
42 Forums
89226 Topics
1043490 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.218 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.