Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#2907931 - 08/15/12 07:06 AM Re: Quail [Re: pressfit]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

pressfit, I am one bird hunter that never said a bad word about a trapper and I have never heard any of the guys I hunted with say anything bad about trappers. Now we got upset with deer hunters, mainy because of them getting places and all quail hunting would end because they did not want their deer bothered.

Edited by Headhunter (08/15/12 07:08 AM)

#2908808 - 08/15/12 06:48 PM Re: Quail [Re: Headhunter]
birddoginQ
4 Point

Loc: Knox, TN

I am a bird hunter and dog owner myself. I almost count myself lucky to have never known the "glory days". In fact, bird hunting to me is almost about going out and watching my dog run and most of the time finding nothing. I hunt, or hunted, with several guys who have quit and sold their dogs because of how it has become. But in walking the farms that they used to hunt, and hearing their stories, I understand why. But also in walking those farms it really is not hard to see why the birds where or werent there. The introduction of fescue to the farms for hay or grazing, massively overgrown fence rows that probably once held birds but now are inpenatrable, Blackberry thickets that have a foot of old canes on the ground that even a rabbit wouldnt walk across... the habitat has changed since those glory days. The places where the birds once were, they can no longer be. "Well they used to be all in this fence row when I was your age". Well 20 years ago I bet the overgrown fence row was a good place. But now it is to thick for birds to move through. Same thing with grandpas old corn field. For the several years after he quit planting it, it was great habbitat. But when Uncle Fred decided to plant it in fescue it got to thick to move through. The examples are endless.

Quail have certain very specific habitat needs that were once provided incedentally by farming practices and also the conversion of old fields and fence rows. That habitat has now been cleaned up, over grown, converted and parceled up. And each tract is different My favorite place is now a subdivision.

Imagine standing standing 8 inches tall and having two inch legs. Next time you look at "prime" habitat where bird "once" were, imagine moving through there at the height of a bird.
I am sure each tract is different and on some predators and pests may be a factor, in other parcel size may be. But by in large, habitat loss is the majority of the problem in most areas. Now a days I would say it takes work, management of some sort, to keep them around.

#2909836 - 08/16/12 01:13 PM Re: Quail [Re: FOX FIRE]
AcornHead
4 Point

Loc: Oliver Springs, TN , Roane

Fescue and cleared fence rows. They cant walk around in the fescue and cant nest in a clean fence row. They have lost their habitat to feed and nest.
#2910240 - 08/16/12 05:42 PM Re: Quail [Re: AcornHead]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

I'm also thinking that quail highly prefer to nest in stands of broom sedge. While a little sedge can still be found, it seems to mostly be growing in fescue!
#2910567 - 08/16/12 09:52 PM Re: Quail [Re: Wes Parrish]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

from a common sense standpoint it has to be some factor besides habitat, I state this because Ames Plantation does not have that many quail

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#2910796 - 08/17/12 07:44 AM Re: Quail [Re: Chaneylake]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Chaneylake
from a common sense standpoint it has to be some factor besides habitat, I state this because Ames Plantation does not have that many quail

Oh, I totally agree, just saying I believe the single biggest factor is loss of habitat, particularly the displacement of native grasses with fescue. Moving beyond this factor, the next biggest factor might be more predators, particularly hawks. Obviously, Ames does not have the habitat problem, but they do have one heck of a predator problem, particularly with hawks.

I'd bet when Chaneylake was a boy there were relatively few hawks? Now they are sitting around everywhere in relatively large numbers.

#2912963 - 08/19/12 03:17 PM Re: Quail [Re: Wes Parrish]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: Chaneylake

Oh, I totally agree, just saying I believe the single biggest factor is loss of habitat, particularly the displacement of native grasses with fescue. Moving beyond this factor, the next biggest factor might be more predators, particularly hawks. Obviously, Ames does not have the habitat problem, but they do have one heck of a predator problem, particularly with hawks.

I'd bet when Chaneylake was a boy there were relatively few hawks? Now they are sitting around everywhere in relatively large numbers.

good bet, back in the late 60's we would ride around on Sunday afternoons and shoot them with a 22-250. I have never been a bird hunter but the avid ones in my area will still kill a hawk

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#2913016 - 08/19/12 04:35 PM Re: Quail [Re: Chaneylake]
chimneyman
4 Point

Loc: blount co

I agree with Chaneylake Why i started this topic it has to be something other than Habitat although loss of Habitat has hurt for sure. But if there are no Birds at Ames or other WMA which are managed for wildlife Something sure did kill em. I'm sure Hawks will kill one if given an opportunity but in 50 years hunting i've never seen one catch one. I'm sure Coons, Skunks etc would love to eat a nest but i bet they would love a turkey hatch just as well and turkeys are doing great Thanks
#2913444 - 08/19/12 09:30 PM Re: Quail [Re: chimneyman]
BowGirl
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

We used to have alot of quail here. See very few anymore. The habitat here has actually improved significantly. I see the high predator population as a problem but the turkey population here is unbelievable.

Interesting topic for sure.

#2913480 - 08/19/12 10:06 PM Re: Quail [Re: BowGirl]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BowGirl
We used to have alot of quail here. See very few anymore. The habitat here has actually improved significantly.
I "suspect" quail may need a much larger amount of contiguous good habitat to thrive over time, than has been previously believed (even without the obvious increase in hawks and other predators). We had much more of this contiguous good habitat prior to the 1960's. Yet, even a place like Ames which has it today, quail are not thriving like they did prior to the 60's. The situation today at Ames alludes to predators being a bigger problem on quail populations than in times past.

In a sense, turkeys are kinda like just big quail, but they seem to have a much greater range (making them less vulnerable to localized habitat problems), and they're large enough to more easily escape many of the predators that can easily take adult quail.

Unlike most other birds, quail live and die a natural life in very close proximity to where they're hatched. If anything goes wrong, all the quail in an area can die off (or be killed), and there are none going to migrate down with the next cold snap up North.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (Cowman71, Living2Hunt, deadeye 77, blueheron) and 70 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.