Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2909517 - 08/16/12 09:39 AM Canned Venison
Spikes Tactical
8 Point

Loc: Greer, South Carolina

Has anyone ever tried to can venison? I had it a few years back at a hunting camp and loved it. I just don't know anything about canning and was wondering if anyone cans it.

Thanks

JP

#2909696 - 08/16/12 11:39 AM Re: Canned Venison [Re: Spikes Tactical]
Ultramag
Button

Loc: Mid tn

I have heard of it , and believe field and stream had an article in a past issue that included a recipea. I have had canned fish though. It is really good, with a nice spicy kick to it. A good friend of mine makes it from some old Cajun recipea he has.
#2909736 - 08/16/12 12:09 PM Re: Canned Venison [Re: Ultramag]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

I actually just literally finished a nice helping of deer stew and it was canned deer meat from 2010 in it. My father in law cuts it into manageable pieces, cooks it in the pressure cooker, and I don't know his recipe but he puts it in some sort of salty water and lays an onion on top and seals/cans it. It is excellent and as good or better than any roast beef type stew I've ever had. I've never canned any but I might be converted.

#2910076 - 08/16/12 03:18 PM Re: Canned Venison [Re: BlountArrow]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

I don't love it and I don't hate it. It tastes like Dinty Moore beef stew. It looks like a jar in the medical examiner's office, but close your eyes and eat it. Tastes pretty decent.

#2910122 - 08/16/12 03:53 PM Re: Canned Venison [Re: TAFKAP]
Spikes Tactical
8 Point

Loc: Greer, South Carolina

I don’t know about it tasting like Dinty Moore but I do agree with it not being the most visually appealing meal I have seen.

#2910146 - 08/16/12 04:08 PM Re: Canned Venison [Re: Spikes Tactical]
TNbuckeye
4 Point

Loc: knox county, TN, USA

The last article of backwoods magazine had a recipe and instructions on how to make it. It's a good magazine if you have never picked one up.

Well the great thing about getting married is even if you don't marry a trophy wife you still get a participation ribbon.

#2910163 - 08/16/12 04:27 PM Re: Canned Venison [Re: Spikes Tactical]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: JayP
I don’t know about it tasting like Dinty Moore but I do agree with it not being the most visually appealing meal I have seen.

I guess what I meant was that the taste and consistency is that of a canned beef stew. The juice "gravy" tasted about the same as well.

#2911117 - 08/17/12 11:43 AM Re: Canned Venison [Re: TAFKAP]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

I can venison every yr. It is the most tender meat you will ever put in your mouth, doesn't matter what cut of meat you use, it will still be tender.

I usually just cut my venison into manageable sized cuts, no bigger than 2"x 2" cubes, place then in a large mouth canning jar, add recommended amount of canning salt and fill jar with water or tomato juice to about 1" below top of jar, install lid and ring................into pressure cooker for recommended time.

I use it for stews, soups, stroganoff recipes, etc. It works great when you are in a rush and need meat quickly and already cooked and tender. I have even, drained it, mashed it with mayo and made sandwiches from it at camp, a little salt/pepper...........done.

FDXX75

#2911651 - 08/17/12 10:17 PM Re: Canned Venison [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75
I can venison every yr. It is the most tender meat you will ever put in your mouth, doesn't matter what cut of meat you use, it will still be tender.

I usually just cut my venison into manageable sized cuts, no bigger than 2"x 2" cubes, place then in a large mouth canning jar, add recommended amount of canning salt and fill jar with water or tomato juice to about 1" below top of jar, install lid and ring................into pressure cooker for recommended time.

I use it for stews, soups, stroganoff recipes, etc. It works great when you are in a rush and need meat quickly and already cooked and tender. I have even, drained it, mashed it with mayo and made sandwiches from it at camp, a little salt/pepper...........done.

FDXX75

Agree 100%. These guys that are knocking it don't know what they're missing or haven't had it done right. It is the ultimate easy meal and versatile.

#2912620 - 08/19/12 07:13 AM Re: Canned Venison [Re: BlountArrow]
archer19
10 Point

Loc: Erwin, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
 Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75

FDXX75

Agree 100%. These guys that are knocking it don't know what they're missing or haven't had it done right. It is the ultimate easy meal and versatile.

I love it. Pot pie, soup, barbecue sandwiches.
It's easy, tastes great, keeps forever.

SEC hater!

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
202 registered (J.W.308, mimitk, Hunter 257W, 280longshot, M.Simp, TeamMainStreet, 18 invisible) and 285 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95679 Topics
1119990 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.068 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.