Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#2902792 - 08/10/12 11:36 AM Quail
chimneyman
4 Point

Loc: blount co

Just wanting to see what everyone.s opinion is on why they no longer exist. I have heard from TWRA and other experts that it;s habitat loss. BULL To show my age i remember when everyone had a couple Bird Dogs and it was possible to leave the house walking and kill a limit. Places i hunted 30-40 years ago still look the same today as they did then. I'm talking 5-600 acre farms planted in corn beans and briars. Catoosa and Chuck Swan used to have plenty of Birds never had to go that far though. The Habitat there sure hasn't changed and Birds can no longer hunted at Chuck Swan. In my opinion which is just that there has to be some disease or something that caused the birds to become sterile.There is plenty of good habitat left with zero birds With all the Deer hunters planting food plots etc there should be a covey in every plot ( i wish ) Whats your opinion Thanks
#2902922 - 08/10/12 01:47 PM Re: Quail [Re: chimneyman]
JAD
4 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro,Tennessee

I am certainly not an expert, but 40 years ago hawks and owls were routinely shot on sight (at least in some parts of the country). We also have coyotes now, but foxes were probably more plentiful back then. Just my guess.
#2902965 - 08/10/12 02:33 PM Re: Quail [Re: JAD]
tellico28
Spike

Loc: blount

I don't know if this is true or not, but I was told that a factor in low quail numbers is fire ants. Could be cause years back we always seemed to have quail on our property and now we don't. But we do have a lot of fire ants. It seems as soon as I think I have a mound killed out, another pops up.
#2902985 - 08/10/12 02:51 PM Re: Quail [Re: tellico28]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

Loc: collinwood tn

same with turkeys in southern wayne co. they magically went from being everywhere to not very many. I agree about the hawk and owl idea. I had a hawk pick up my jake decoy last season.
There is a dove field near by. There are about 5 hawks out there dive bombing the doves daily. On my hunting lease last winter we had a cut over holding a large group of quail, morning noon and evening there was 3 or 4 hawks flying about 8 ft above cut over, they wiped them out. Hawks clean out game birds in a hurry.

#2903000 - 08/10/12 03:06 PM Re: Quail [Re: turkeyhunter]
chimneyman
4 Point

Loc: blount co

Thanks for your replies. But there has always been Hawks and Owls and we had a lot of Birds. I can see Fire ants being a problem with just hatched birds but Georgia Texas etc had Fire ants and still had a lot of birds. I may be in left field but i think it's a fertilizer, Roundup or something fairly new that either killed the Birds or reduced hatch success. However our Grouse population in E Tn is about as bad as our Bird population which makes me think it may be a virus of some kind Bird Flu lol Thanks
#2903275 - 08/10/12 07:59 PM Re: Quail [Re: chimneyman]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

It's sad. I got a bird dog but have to pay ~$90 to get him on birds.

#2903279 - 08/10/12 08:02 PM Re: Quail [Re: DntBrnDPig]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

I wish I knew what the problem was so maybe it could be dealt with. I have one big covey that uses one of my properties and I try to help them out the best I can.

#2903328 - 08/10/12 09:06 PM Re: Quail [Re: smstone22]
FOX FIRE
8 Point

Loc: Mt. Eagle

I remeber when I was a teenager (in the 80s) they were everywher, I could sit on the front porch & whistle them up, coveys could be heard all day long "talk'n" back & forth to each other.

As far as habitat changes thers been some but nothing major, with all the timber thats been logged out in the last few years ther should be plenty of new growth for them to hide in and open places for feeding & scratching in.

I think the predators have taken ther toll, hawks, foxes, coon, possum & now days coyotes, the predator population has exploded.

#2904313 - 08/12/12 08:16 AM Re: Quail [Re: FOX FIRE]
blountcountyboy
8 Point

Loc: Blount CountyTN ya know over n...

No one traps any more and farmers want nice clean fence rows. Farm equipment that catches 95% of the crops doesn't help either. Coons and possums take a MAJOR toll on quail eggs and about any other ground nesting bird. Back in the 70's and 80's fur was still in and even thou by the 80's those animals were gaining in numbers they were still down enough to keep the quail numbers high. Grouse are a weird critter and have a 7 year high and low cycle. Google that for more information.
Fence rows that look nice to the human eye will not hold any type of wild life. The uglier, nastier, harder to get threw they are the more wild life they will attract.
The old combines were lucky to catch 75% of the grain that they harvested. I was at times worried about being accused of hunting over a baited field after some of these combines came through.
I have saw hawks catch quail from the air on more than once but, I don't believe that they caused much of a decrease in the quail population.

Something that I've saw as an increased trend is shooting out of complete coveys. People will get on a covey of 3-4 birds and simply wipe them out. Now, there are no breeding pairs left. Land is also becoming more fragmented and it's not as easy to chase birds all over creation. Birds aren't stupid and will move towards areas that aren't getting hunting pressure and that leaves more pressure on the fewer coveys that hunters can gain access to.

I gave up trying to quail and grouse hunt because of these issues. I could get out of high school and be on a covey of birds before it was supper time. I remember the 100+ bird covey that I kept to myself for years and only picked at them here and there not killing more than a couple before moving on. That covey stayed strong until a group of guys gained access to the property and killed dozens and dozens of birds hunting them every weekend relentlessly.

#2904468 - 08/12/12 12:05 PM Re: Quail [Re: blountcountyboy]
FOX FIRE
8 Point

Loc: Mt. Eagle

Never gave the farm machinery a thought, I could see wher quail could benifit from that.

I miss get'n to listen to them in teh summer, I heard one lest year while fish'n & told my wife thats something you dont hear much anymore, she & my daughter didnt even know what it was, for me to hear it was nearly like a trip back in time.

Suppose the quail is in any better shape in different parts of the country ??

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
41 registered (Bo Diddley, reloadxx, stringtalker, UTGrad, duckriver, Roost 1, 4 invisible) and 83 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91786 Topics
1072712 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.089 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.