Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2902778 - 08/10/12 11:18 AM New Safety Harness
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

content Online
I've seen a few people talk about these ( http://www.20feetup.com/Home_Page.php )on here and other forums and decided to look into them myself. Well, I took the plunge and bought one and it came yesterday. This harness is the cat's meow! It hooks in front of you, instead of up and behind, like my HSS harness does, and when you fall the line is in front of you and there is virtually no chance of suspension trauma do to the design of the climbing harness—the pressure is on your lower back and the back of your legs.

I tried it out yesterday and it made installing a lock-on alot safer and much, much easier. You can use this as a "lineman style" as well, which is great for installing steps or sticks. For installing the lock-on, I attached the strap to the tree and sat in the seat and used both hands, which where completely free to install the stand. I did do a controlled fall, and it was extremely easy to recover because I was facing the tree and had free movement of all four limbs. The only concern I had was, would the strap get in the way since it is attached to the front, and it doesn't because of relatively strong magnets that are sewn into the strap and the harness. When you get set-up, all you do is move the strap around your waist and it is completely secure and allowed me to almost turn 360 degrees without coming undone—a definate advantage to bowhunters with no strap in the way. I also used the quick-climb attachments to my climber and it made climbing so much easier and quicker, as I did not have to mess with adjusting the strap everytime I went up or down.

Basically, this harness is very easy to use, it offers alot more versatility than the behind the back 4-point harness, there are not tethers getting the way and it is much safer because of the great reduction of suspension trauma and the upward, sitting position of the body in case of a fall.

I highly suggest others to at least give this a serious look, as I believe it is a much safer way to go in keeping ourselves safe, while making it easier as well.

I know some of you don't visit every forum, so it will be in the general, serious and bow forums for that reason.

#2902836 - 08/10/12 12:30 PM Re: New Safety Harness [Re: TNDeerGuy]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Looks like a fine harness, but the quick clips that attach to your stand cable will defeat the purpose if your stand were to slip and fall down the tree. Down you will go with it!
#2902907 - 08/10/12 01:24 PM Re: New Safety Harness [Re: Winchester]
oldmanelrod
6 Point

Loc: TN/AL state line

Originally Posted By: Winchester
Looks like a fine harness, but the quick clips that attach to your stand cable will defeat the purpose if your stand were to slip and fall down the tree. Down you will go with it!

Same thought as Winchester but also wonder about what keeps you from ending up upside down.

#2902923 - 08/10/12 01:47 PM Re: New Safety Harness [Re: oldmanelrod]
Nhill
8 Point

Loc: Maryville, TN

Originally Posted By: oldmanelrod

Same thought as Winchester but also wonder about what keeps you from ending up upside down.

Your legs weigh more than your head

#2902931 - 08/10/12 01:58 PM Re: New Safety Harness [Re: Nhill]
Carnage
6 Point

Loc: TN, Dickson

I believe if it's clipped to the front of the stand, the weight would sink the teeth on the back side into the tree.
#2902949 - 08/10/12 02:12 PM Re: New Safety Harness [Re: Nhill]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Nhill
 Originally Posted By: oldmanelrod

Your legs weigh more than your head

If both the top and bottom of a stand fall together all the way down the tree, then you are correct—you possibly may go with it, but in all of my years I have never had it happen. I have had the top or the bottom slip, but not both. The clips are actually somewhat "flimsy", so that if something happens the strap cinches to the tree while breaking free from the clips. As far as ending up in the upside down position, it is virtually impossible to do while in a climbing harness such as this. I have been rock-climbing for years and when wearing this type of harness you actually have to work hard to get upside down and work even harder to stay in that position due to the fact that the point where the carabiner attaches to the harness is above the fulcrum point of the human body, and when under load that point is even higher as the harness "cinches up" and the hook point will be equal to the bottom of your sternum which leaves 75% of your body weight below and forces you in the upright position.

#2902955 - 08/10/12 02:16 PM Re: New Safety Harness [Re: TNDeerGuy]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

shocked Online
I researched this heavily about a month ago. I decided to try a rock climbing harness after reading multiple positive reports from hunters who swore they would never go back to a treestand harness after trying a rock climbing harness. I love my new rock climbing harness, but I also believe it's one of those things that many hunters will doubt until they try it for themselves. I was a doubter until I actually used it.

I bought a Black Diamond Bod after reading good reviews on it from hunters. It's easy to get into because of the quick release leg buckles. Plus, you can't beat the price.

Black Diamond Bod Harness

The guys at 20 Feet Up took a simple, functional design that has proven itself over decades in the climbing community and marketed it to the hunting community. It seems so obvious, yet I wonder why it took someone this long to do it? I also wonder why HSS and others have yet to market a similar product. It would be interesting to hear what HSS would have to say about a treestand harness vs. a climbing harness for treestand safety. I have now tried both and I am sold on the climbing harness for both safety and ease of use.

There are some interesting debates about treestand harness vs climbing harness in the message board archives on archerytalk.com.

#2902962 - 08/10/12 02:25 PM Re: New Safety Harness [Re: Vermin93]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Vermin93
I researched this heavily about a month ago. I decided to try a rock climbing harness after reading multiple positive reports from hunters who swore they would never go back to a treestand harness after trying a rock climbing harness. I love my new rock climbing harness, but I also believe it's one of those things that many hunters will doubt until they try it for themselves. I was a doubter until I actually used it.

I bought a Black Diamond Bod after reading good reviews on it from hunters. It's easy to get into because of the quick release leg buckles. Plus, you can't beat the price.

Black Diamond Bod Harness

The guys at 20 Feet Up took a simple, functional design that has proven itself over decades in the climbing community and marketed it to the hunting community. It seems so obvious, yet I wonder why it took someone this long to do it? I also wonder why HSS and others have yet to market a similar product. It would be interesting to hear what HSS would have to say about a treestand harness vs. a climbing harness for treestand safety. I have now tried both and I am sold on the climbing harness for both safety and ease of use.

There are some interesting debates about treestand harness vs climbing harness in the message board archives on archerytalk.com.

Same here Vermin, I thought about using one of my climbing harnesses but just couldn't get past the idea of what to do with the rope/strap in front of me, as a bowhunter that would be very problamatic—they solved that with the magnets incorporated into the strap and harness.

#2903010 - 08/10/12 03:19 PM Re: New Safety Harness [Re: TNDeerGuy]
Nyper
16 Point

Loc: Lebanon

Where did you buy it? They're on back order through 20 ft Up's website.
#2903070 - 08/10/12 04:21 PM Re: New Safety Harness [Re: Nyper]
Jer
8 Point

Loc: Old Hickory, TN

The clips are a great idea...Looks like you can just order those to retool your stand and use it with your current harness...would make it much faster and if you fell out of your stand on the way up it looks like the tree strap would come out and tighten up around the tree.

http://shop.20feetup.com/Quick-Climb-for-Climbing-Stands-with-3-4-Cables-Quick-Climb-750.htm

Edited by Jer (08/10/12 05:10 PM)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
124 registered (Savage Knight, infoman jr., Adam Jackson, copnhgn, Bucket, nightrocket, 14 invisible) and 123 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94121 Topics
1099713 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.367 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.