Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#2897749 - 08/06/12 10:33 AM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: hunterncoach]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Originally Posted By: hunterncoach
Old Timmers used to tell me to hang old clothes that you have worn out all summer around your stand to let them get used to the smell & no adverse reactions. Then you may be able to get by with them smelling you the first week or two of season. Of course that won't last all year, but if it helps you score early then its worth it! I have never tried this, but makes sense that it would work

That reminds me of the story someone told of putting a manequin in your stand dressed to hunt so the deer would assume it was still there on opening day, when in fact it was the hunter!

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#2897785 - 08/06/12 11:10 AM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: MUP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: MUP
Old Timmers used to tell me to hang old clothes that you have worn out all summer around your stand to let them get used to the smell & no adverse reactions. Then you may be able to get by with them smelling you the first week or two of season. Of course that won't last all year, but if it helps you score early then its worth it! I have never tried this, but makes sense that it would work

That reminds me of the story someone told of putting a manequin in your stand dressed to hunt so the deer would assume it was still there on opening day, when in fact it was the hunter!

Even better. You should just build a treehouse and live in it year around \:o

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2897849 - 08/06/12 12:14 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: Poser]
hunterncoach
6 Point

Loc: northern middle tn

Originally Posted By: Poser

Even better. You should just build a treehouse and live in it year around \:o
I believe Gene or Barry Wensel were the ones who I saw put a maequin in their stand...I know I have it on VHS somewhere. Can't argue much with their success!

#2897875 - 08/06/12 12:52 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: LanceS4803]
TN RDG RNR
12 Point

Loc: Rhea County

Do what I can, short of dressing up a manequin..... :).. then hunt every chance I get.

#2897947 - 08/06/12 01:51 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: TN RDG RNR]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

play the wind as best you can,all you can do

You wont know,if you dont go!

#2898664 - 08/07/12 06:06 AM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: MUP]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

Funny you mentioned this.....I had a friend that did just this, many years ago . The thing is, he forgot he put the dummy in the stand and when he went to it in the dark on opening day it about scared him into a heartache.....lol.

he actually climbed up the ladder before shining up in the stand and when he got there, he about pooped his pants.

he admitted to this, I'm not so sure that I would have...lol.

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#2902508 - 08/10/12 08:11 AM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: Bottom Hunter]
TITANSFAN2104
8 Point

Loc: watertown ,TN

Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter
I love it when hunters think that deer can't smell them if they get really high in a tree.....all that does is put the scent reaching the ground further out , so they pick you up further away and avoid the area, while you never know they are there.

being that high off the ground works well if deer come in from another direction and can't pick up your scent before they get out to it, walking away, giving you lots of time to get a shot.

But, then again, they can smell your footprints, the cells off your skin as you walked in, where you touched a limb, and most anything else ......

so....anything other than down wind is mere luck that the deer doesn't bust you , maybe even before you know it's there...

I still know people that will hunt a stand every day regardless of the wind direction.......lol.

I love it when they tell me that they aren't seeing any deer and can't figure out why???????? lol

I have always been under the impression that during hot weather that scent molecules would rise with the heat rather than fall and cold weather they tend to descend more. Barometric pressure might actually play a part in this as well

Edited by TITANSFAN2104 (08/10/12 08:12 AM)

#2902533 - 08/10/12 08:30 AM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: TITANSFAN2104]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

Loc: collinwood tn

i agree titansfan, i dont believe a deer's nose is as good during hot dry weather. It is still good but not as good. Critters dont lay down as much scent during hot dry conditions,neither do humans. But i still do what i can so limit my scent early bow season and thru out deer season.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
camohunter3, mtd, Higdon23, blcmrr2008, Urban deer Hunter
13270 Registered Users
Who's Online
104 registered (scn, Bo Diddley, bowhunterfanatic, Beekeeper, jg12, JThuntsalot, 14 invisible) and 128 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13270 Members
42 Forums
93022 Topics
1086989 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.168 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.