Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#2902260 - 08/09/12 11:11 PM Re: Even a girl can do it/Rockfish [Re: CATCHDAWG]
Dbllunger
10 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: CATCHDAWG
Cool dude! Had it been over 30 I would have requested you be banned! ;). Are your fish higher up or moving down from a month ago?

For the most part I am catching them in the same holes and shoals all summer. It's been that way since early June it seems

#2903959 - 08/11/12 07:08 PM Re: Even a girl can do it/Rockfish [Re: Dbllunger]
mathews338
10 Point

Loc: jackson co.

That's awesome
#2904335 - 08/12/12 08:46 AM Re: Even a girl can do it/Rockfish [Re: CATCHDAWG]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

nice fish,congrats
#2906964 - 08/14/12 12:22 PM Re: Even a girl can do it/Rockfish [Re: CATCHDAWG]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Nice which waters did you fish may I ask?
#2907157 - 08/14/12 02:57 PM Re: Even a girl can do it/Rockfish [Re: CATCHDAWG]
Dbllunger
10 Point

Cumberland River.....ish

#2907917 - 08/15/12 06:53 AM Re: Even a girl can do it/Rockfish [Re: Dbllunger]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

the caney is a good place to look for them. Start under the first bridge you come to when running up the caney from the cumberland.

Couple of things about a 7" redfin, CHANGE the hooks, the factory hooks are junk, I like gamakatsu 4x strong trebles.

A great modification also is to "weight" the redfin.
First, I take all the hooks and split rings off of the redfin. then I use a piece of wire, heat it up, melt a hole toward the front of the redfin (I put the hole in the dot on the side of the front). I have some injectors and I used water at first, but it will evaporate, then I used mineal oil, works great and lately I am using my own homemade fish formula). You need a small digital scale, put enough liquid in the redfin so it weighs one ounce (for a 5 inch it should weigh .5 ounce). The hole I put in the redfin is filled perfectly by a toothpick covered in super glue. Let dry and trim the toothpick off. cover with a small amount of superglue. Put split rings and hooks back on. I can throw this a LONG ways (which helps greatly in rockfishing) and it will still push a great wake. Always wake the redfin to your feet. It is amazing how many will hit the redfin at your feet, don't forget to have the drag set correctly.

Barlows is a great place to get hooks and heavy duty split rings. I have and like to throw rainbow trout colored, bone colored, red/white colored, mother of pearl colored, black/chrome colored, blue/chrome colored, blurple colored and I have painted some krylon fluorescent pink and occasionally they want it more than anything. Many days the rainbow trout color is hard to beat, even where there are no rainbow trout. To me the stripers can be very color specific, even from day to day.

A jumpin minnow will catch them some mornings when a redfin won't. I do not go without them.

Stripers for the most part will follow a bait a long ways so a longer cast gives them the most chance to hit the bait. "Weighting" a redfin is a great trick that can be a game changer some days. If the fish "push, blow up, follow" the 7" redfin, don't be scared to throw a 5". Many times that means they want a smaller bait.

#2907999 - 08/15/12 08:06 AM Re: Even a girl can do it/Rockfish [Re: Headhunter]
Dbllunger
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
If the fish "push, blow up, follow" the 7" redfin, don't be scared to throw a 5". Many times that means they want a smaller bait.

I will give this a shot, thanks. The only times they seem to be real finicky that I have seen is when the water is crystal clear. The more stain in the water (to a point) the better they hit.

#2908271 - 08/15/12 11:40 AM Re: Even a girl can do it/Rockfish [Re: Dbllunger]
CATCHDAWG
10 Point

Loc: Bradley co. TN

When the water is crystal clear, I go for the gold (redfin). Seems to work well in clear water. I catch more on white with black back than any other color.

#2908440 - 08/15/12 01:56 PM Re: Even a girl can do it/Rockfish [Re: CATCHDAWG]
Dbllunger
10 Point

Originally Posted By: CATCHDAWG
When the water is crystal clear, I go for the gold (redfin). Seems to work well in clear water. I catch more on white with black back than any other color.

Bone color with the black back is my go to lure as well......I have caught more on that than any other. I have a gold one but have used it very little although I caught a pretty nice one on it last friday (25 lber). Someone told me they don't make the gold ones anymore. Is that true?

#2908575 - 08/15/12 03:49 PM Re: Even a girl can do it/Rockfish [Re: Headhunter]
MidTennFisher
4 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
the caney is a good place to look for them. Start under the first bridge you come to when running up the caney from the cumberland.

Couple of things about a 7" redfin, CHANGE the hooks, the factory hooks are junk, I like gamakatsu 4x strong trebles.

A great modification also is to "weight" the redfin.
First, I take all the hooks and split rings off of the redfin. then I use a piece of wire, heat it up, melt a hole toward the front of the redfin (I put the hole in the dot on the side of the front). I have some injectors and I used water at first, but it will evaporate, then I used mineal oil, works great and lately I am using my own homemade fish formula). You need a small digital scale, put enough liquid in the redfin so it weighs one ounce (for a 5 inch it should weigh .5 ounce). The hole I put in the redfin is filled perfectly by a toothpick covered in super glue. Let dry and trim the toothpick off. cover with a small amount of superglue. Put split rings and hooks back on. I can throw this a LONG ways (which helps greatly in rockfishing) and it will still push a great wake. Always wake the redfin to your feet. It is amazing how many will hit the redfin at your feet, don't forget to have the drag set correctly.

Barlows is a great place to get hooks and heavy duty split rings. I have and like to throw rainbow trout colored, bone colored, red/white colored, mother of pearl colored, black/chrome colored, blue/chrome colored, blurple colored and I have painted some krylon fluorescent pink and occasionally they want it more than anything. Many days the rainbow trout color is hard to beat, even where there are no rainbow trout. To me the stripers can be very color specific, even from day to day.

A jumpin minnow will catch them some mornings when a redfin won't. I do not go without them.

Stripers for the most part will follow a bait a long ways so a longer cast gives them the most chance to hit the bait. "Weighting" a redfin is a great trick that can be a game changer some days. If the fish "push, blow up, follow" the 7" redfin, don't be scared to throw a 5". Many times that means they want a smaller bait.

I have a couple locations where I've seen them and want to get after them when I move back. I'm buying a redfin and some other swimbait or stickbait that resembles a rainbow trout. Do you slow retrieve these in the Caney? I know where to find them, I just don't know how to fish for them yet.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
AdamMcK, purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer
13113 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (Daniel n, Marion deer hunter, stryker, Team Browning, rockytopcop) and 36 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13113 Members
42 Forums
89424 Topics
1045873 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.236 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.