Tndeer Logo

Page all of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#2898858 - 08/07/12 09:26 AM Rage talk! Beware, graphic
Living2Hunt
8 Point

Loc: TN

Ok, most of the people that know me know that i am a rage lover. I have had great success and have never had but one deer go over 50 yards. I have killed 20 deer over the last few years with this broadhead. Alot of does and a few bucks. I killed 4 just last year.

Now with that said, i believe any broadhead will kill a deer. Its all about shot placement! I just have cofidence in a rage broadhead and love the big entry and exit hole. I will post a few pics on some of the deer i shot with it. Nothing big, just some deer. Notice the gut shot on the last pic. The deer went less the 60 yards. Now to the point of my posting. The one thing that scares me with these broadheads is the shoulder shot. I have have not had a experience with it yet, but most bad stories has to do with not busting the shoulder! No penatration bc of it.

Well guys this has all changed! The new Rage Chisel Tip is the answers to all the questions. I have bought and put some to the test. Old vs new and that tip is bone busting! I was shooting pork shoulders, ply wood, and ever tin metal. It out penetrates everytime/ I cant wait to use these this year. Now i know i want have any worries. This only my favorite broadhead even better. Just thought i would share!

#2898947 - 08/07/12 11:20 AM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Living2Hunt]
Jarred525
8 Point

Loc: Giles Tennessee

Thanks for sharing. I unfortunately have had 1 experience with the shoulder shot with a Rage. Totally a bad shot on my part, and only got about 4 inches of penetration. I feel very confident I did not kill that deer. But it was my fault, bad shot. It's all about shot placement. But I like the idea of Rage giving you a better chance of killing the deer with a bad shot. Bad shots are going to happen if you hunt long enough, no matter how much practice.
#2899164 - 08/07/12 02:55 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Living2Hunt]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: HUNTFUN07
I have bought and put some to the test. Old vs new and that tip is bone busting! I was shooting pork shoulders, ply wood, and ever tin metal. It out penetrates everytime/ I cant wait to use these this year.
Did you document the underlined part with pictures? I am not doubting you, just making a point that it would be even more convincing and pretty cool to see if you had pics to share with everyone. If not, maybe next time. Thanks for sharing your experience with the group.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#2899172 - 08/07/12 02:59 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Andy S.]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

What about the little rubber bands?? I'll stick with my Spitfire maxx's..

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#2899214 - 08/07/12 03:41 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Living2Hunt]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Well guys this has all changed! The new Rage Chisel Tip is the answers to all the questions. I have bought and put some to the test. Old vs new and that tip is bone busting! I was shooting pork shoulders, ply wood, and ever tin metal. It out penetrates everytime/

Great news, if you are hunting plywood or tin, or hogs...but you are hunting thin skinned deer.

ANY sharp braodhead put where you put these heads will "put 'em down" and FAST.

And ANY broadhead shot in a TRUE gut shot area will NOT.

Broadheads kill deer by BLEEDING and SHOCK.

That is IT.

Nothing magic about that.

If you bow hunt long enough, and shoot enough deer, you are going to make a bad shot that NO BROADHEAD will compensate for at all.

Rage are good heads. But they still kill deer by blood loss.

It is good to have confidence in your equipment, nice post!
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#2899249 - 08/07/12 04:08 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Andy S.]
Living2Hunt
8 Point

No i didnt do any pics or anything. i should have, but there is a u tube video showing it and other broadheads going thru a pork shoulder.
#2899255 - 08/07/12 04:11 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Living2Hunt]
Living2Hunt
8 Point

i never have trouble with the rubber bands. But the new broadhead have a new shock collar. Its nice. Rage hasnt introduced it yet, but the will have new plastic color that will go on any of there broadheads. From what i have seen of it, it will solve that problem.
#2899261 - 08/07/12 04:17 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: 102]
Living2Hunt
8 Point

Originally Posted By: 102
Well guys this has all changed! The new Rage Chisel Tip is the answers to all the questions. I have bought and put some to the test. Old vs new and that tip is bone busting! I was shooting pork shoulders, ply wood, and ever tin metal. It out penetrates everytime/

Great news, if you are hunting plywood or tin, or hogs...but you are hunting thin skinned deer.

That is IT.

If you bow hunt long enough, and shoot enough deer, you are going to make a bad shot that NO BROADHEAD will compensate for at all.

Your right, as i stated; its all about shot placement. Rage doesnt kill deer any more dead then other broadheads. But it does cut bigger holes which can give you better blod trails to follow. Notice i said "it can". And that gut shot that killed that deer, it was lucky to see it fall in sight. I do feel the big cut help with hitting a good artery. Small area there. But i could of got lucky with any broadhead. I experience last year for the first time in my life a lost deer while bow hunting. So it does happen, but in my case; it was bad shot placement.

#2899270 - 08/07/12 04:27 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: 102]
bigtex
8 Point

Loc: Brush Creek

That is IT.

Yep, pretty much sums it up.
You gotta hit em in the right spot to kill quickly.
I personally use Spitfires and Have not had any problems out of them. I like the fact that you don't have to worry about rubberbands.
I also shot Muzzys for many years, and killed many deer with them. I once shot a small buck with them, I made a bad shot and hit him right in the shoulder. Even with the Muzzy and shooting 70 lbs the broadhead only looked to penetrate a couple of inches. I tracked that deer all day with a sparce blood trail and never found him. I saw him a month or so later on opening morning of the M/L season, he had a slight limp but otherwise looked to be doing fine.........untill I dropped him in his tracks with another shoulder shot with a 250 gr Hornady SST.
Just goes to show you, no matter the broadhead, for a quick kill shoot em through the boiler room.

#2899324 - 08/07/12 05:27 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: bigtex]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

i would shoot a muzzy and smoke the pork shoulder over applewood and mesquite with a brown sugar based dry rub

#2899382 - 08/07/12 06:34 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: redblood]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Bout 15-years ago, I shot a 5X5 bull elk smack in the shoulder with a Thunderhead 125. He went about 150-yards and I had about 18" penetration. Until I had to start shooting a xbow, that is all I shot. Now I shoot something from NAP but I can never remember what it is.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#2899541 - 08/07/12 08:54 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: redblood]
birddog
12 Point

Loc: Seymour, TN

i'll agree. after bow hunting for over 20 years i have never found a BH that works better than a rage. I love them!
#2899576 - 08/07/12 09:23 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: birddog]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Originally Posted By: birddog
i'll agree. after bow hunting for over 20 years i have never found a BH that works better than a rage. I love them!
How many other broadheads have you shot multiple deer with to have a true apples to apples comparison? Not doubting your positive experiences with Rage broadheads, just trying to better understand the big picture here.

#2899608 - 08/07/12 09:41 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Andy S.]
birddog
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Andy S.
 Originally Posted By: birddog
How many other broadheads have you shot multiple deer with to have a true apples to apples comparison? Not doubting your positive experiences with Rage broadheads, just trying to better understand the big picture here.

i couldnt begin to know how many. everything to cheap wal-mart brand to thunderheads, muzzy's, and rockets just to name a few.

#2899671 - 08/07/12 10:20 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: birddog]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Thanks BD.

#2899793 - 08/08/12 06:15 AM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Andy S.]
10 Point

I can tell you how many deer I have killed with different broadheads. A WHOLE BUNCH.
From Satellite to Rage. Fixed HUGE holes (Rocky Mountain Supreme) to tiny holes (Razorback 5) and EVERYTHING in between.

The bottom line... if I had DEEP pockets, money was NO OBJECT, or a broad head sponsor, it would definitely be Rage.

They are SHARP, ACCURATE, and cut a BIG HOLE.

Every newbie I help get started I recommend a Rage. THey will give you a margin for error.

After that, when the killing really gets up in the numbers of deer, they get VERY expensive. Can you imagine killing 10, 12, or 17 deer in one season with a Rage in your budget?

So the next best thing for the money , IMO, is the BPS Gator XP. Very similar characteristics. Quite a bit cheaper.

After you have become proficient, OR your blood lust wanes to just a few kills per season, say 1-3, Rage is still a good bet.

But for MY hard earned, blue collar dollar, I choose a VERY sharp, very accurate head that has not failed me in DOZENS of kills, and only cost me once.

Magnus Stinger 4 blade have never failed me.

I do not, have not, and probably won't ever be representing them, but they are a GREAT Company with GREAT customer service and a great product.

And that is my honest opinion.

Still, shoot what works for you. You need to have confidence in your equipment. And Rage DOES create some impressive blood trails.

#2899834 - 08/08/12 07:05 AM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: 102]
Mudbone
10 Point

Loc: Williamson cty. Tn

I have killed several with a rage with great results. Have also had them come open in flight while practicing wich was enough to steer me back to the old two blade Magnus broadbeads. Very accurate and lots of penetration. Just what I have the most confidence in.

#2899840 - 08/08/12 07:10 AM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: redblood]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

Originally Posted By: redblood
i would shoot a muzzy and smoke the pork shoulder over applewood and mesquite with a brown sugar based dry rub

Redblood in that case can we get a "taste test" instead of pics??

#2900505 - 08/08/12 03:33 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: redblood]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

content Online
Whats up Robert!! I like my Grim Reapers personally...

#2900658 - 08/08/12 05:53 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: UTGrad]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

My question is How many deer have you killed with the SAME Rage bh? I have a buddy who loves them but says they are one and done.....Whereas I can shoot 3 or 4 deer with the same Wasp Hammer SST if I am lucky.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#2900661 - 08/08/12 05:56 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: UTGrad]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Originally Posted By: UTGrad
I like my Grim Reapers personally...
I like your shot placement better than anything that has been mentioned. Nice buck by the way.

#2900682 - 08/08/12 06:20 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Roost 1]
10 Point

I can shoot INFINITI deer, or metal fence posts (yep, after a pass through), or open a can of paint with it if I want...AND IT NEVER GOES DULL...EVER.
Because they just send me a new one for FREE...LIFETIME GUARANTEE!!!

#2900824 - 08/08/12 08:10 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: 102]
Tony USMC
8 Point

Loc: Rockwood,TN USA

Anyone shoot f-15's?

#2900849 - 08/08/12 08:21 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Tony USMC]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

I was a huge rage fan and have killed more deer than I can count with them, however after using the swhakers, they are my favorite head ever!

#2900855 - 08/08/12 08:23 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: redblood]
RackRocker
8 Point

Loc: corryton

Originally Posted By: redblood

Same here but slick tricks

#2900876 - 08/08/12 08:30 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Roost 1]
birddog
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Roost 1
My question is How many deer have you killed with the SAME Rage bh? I have a buddy who loves them but says they are one and done.....Whereas I can shoot 3 or 4 deer with the same Wasp Hammer SST if I am lucky.

I've killed several deer with the same rage, 3 or more. i sharpen them like any other BH and you can buy replacement blades like any other BH

#2900888 - 08/08/12 08:36 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: redblood]
93civEJ1
10 Point

Loc: TN, USA

I have a couple of new rages here at the house, but i dont think i will use them. I am wanting to screw on some of the QAD exodus.
#2900915 - 08/08/12 08:44 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: 102]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

I can tell you how many deer I have killed with different broadheads. A WHOLE BUNCH.
From Satellite to Rage. Fixed HUGE holes (Rocky Mountain Supreme) to tiny holes (Razorback 5) and EVERYTHING in between.

The bottom line... if I had DEEP pockets, money was NO OBJECT, or a broad head sponsor, it would definitely be Rage.

Every newbie I help get started I recommend a Rage. THey will give you a margin for error.

After that, when the killing really gets up in the numbers of deer, they get VERY expensive. Can you imagine killing 10, 12, or 17 deer in one season with a Rage in your budget?

So the next best thing for the money , IMO, is the BPS Gator XP. Very similar characteristics. Quite a bit cheaper.

After you have become proficient, OR your blood lust wanes to just a few kills per season, say 1-3, Rage is still a good bet.

But for MY hard earned, blue collar dollar, I choose a VERY sharp, very accurate head that has not failed me in DOZENS of kills, and only cost me once.

I do not, have not, and probably won't ever be representing them, but they are a GREAT Company with GREAT customer service and a great product.

Still, shoot what works for you. You need to have confidence in your equipment. And Rage DOES create some impressive blood trails.

LOL he said the satellite that brings back memories. I've shot lots of heads but like mudbone said I've had them open on me in flight which is enough for me not to shoot them again. I like the spitfires never had one issue with them and they cut a hell of a hole! I shot a big mature buck square in the the shoulder and i mean right in the plate and still got enough penetration to cut his heart in 3 pieces and he didnt go 75 yds!!! Can you say SOLD!!!! If you can zoom in look at that cut and placement!

[img]http://[/img]

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#2900923 - 08/08/12 08:48 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: UTGrad]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

I liked their devastation to but not being able to practice with them turned me off....

#2900926 - 08/08/12 08:50 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Hollar Hunter]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Nice buck HH. Were you hunting in jeans and t-shirt when you killed him?

#2900991 - 08/08/12 09:36 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Andy S.]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Lol .... I new when I shot him by the sound and placement to " back out when in doubt"

Edited by Hollar Hunter (08/08/12 09:41 PM)

#2901041 - 08/08/12 10:18 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Hollar Hunter]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Hollar Hunter

I liked their devastation to but not being able to practice with them turned me off....

They have included a practice head for like 2 years now.

#2901057 - 08/08/12 10:37 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: UTGrad]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

They have included a practice head for like 2 years now.

Good for them to do that after 6 or 7 years...

#2901291 - 08/09/12 07:47 AM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Hollar Hunter]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Being fortunate enough to have bow hunted for 30 yrs now, and having killed close to 200 deer with my bow, I like the no nonsense fixed heads, for a workhorse that will normally kill me multiple deer per head. I just dont see adding the chance for failure on a mechanical head when I have absolutely no need to take the chance!
SHOT PLACEMENT is KING, but that being said, its the less than perfect shots that tell the tale! I would recommend learning to be a VERY good tracker over changing broadheads anyday!

#2901359 - 08/09/12 08:56 AM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: UTGrad]
Living2Hunt
8 Point

whats going on buddy! Hope everything has been going good for you!

#2901364 - 08/09/12 08:58 AM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Roost 1]
Living2Hunt
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Roost 1

I sharpen my blades. If i buy three, they will last all year. I hit a tree on a pass thru on time and bent a blade, but replacement blades are cheap.

#2901370 - 08/09/12 09:01 AM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Hollar Hunter]
Living2Hunt
8 Point

LOL he said the satellite that brings back memories. I've shot lots of heads but like mudbone said I've had them open on me in flight which is enough for me not to shoot them again. I like the spitfires never had one issue with them and they cut a hell of a hole! I shot a big mature buck square in the the shoulder and i mean right in the plate and still got enough penetration to cut his heart in 3 pieces and he didnt go 75 yds!!! Can you say SOLD!!!! If you can zoom in look at that cut and placement!

[img]http://[/img]

Great shot and nice deer bubba!

#2901478 - 08/09/12 10:17 AM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: birddog]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

If you are replacing blades each time then I dont really consider that the same head.....I can use a Wasp several times without doing anytine to it unless I hit or rock or something after the pass-thru.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#2901489 - 08/09/12 10:24 AM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Roost 1]
@fulldraw
8 Point

Loc: Clarksville

I killed three deer and a bobcat with the same rage and blades. The only time I change blades is if one breaks. I have bought 3 packs in 5 yrs and I usually kill a few a year.
#2901505 - 08/09/12 10:47 AM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: RackRocker]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

content Online
Spitfires and i have some tipped with thunderheads both great heads one fixed and one mechanical but i REALLY like the spit fires

#2901577 - 08/09/12 11:40 AM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Tony USMC]
Mudbone
10 Point

Loc: Williamson cty. Tn

Originally Posted By: Tony USMC
Anyone shoot f-15's?
I screwed one on when they were new and shot the biggest buck I ever have. Made a marginal shot(bout three inches high) but was shooting a sharp downhill angle. I have watched them go down on worse shots. It was a mistake on my part I think of all the time. But I won't be shooting those things again. I still get pics of this deer and he is probly in the 160s by now. Goooooooosh!
I'm goin to check my cams!!lol

#2901585 - 08/09/12 11:43 AM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Andy S.]
bobthebowhunter
10 Point

Loc: Knoxvegas

I have bought and put some to the test. Old vs new and that tip is bone busting! I was shooting pork shoulders, ply wood, and ever tin metal. It out penetrates everytime/ I cant wait to use these this year.
Did you document the underlined part with pictures? I am not doubting you, just making a point that it would be even more convincing and pretty cool to see if you had pics to share with everyone. If not, maybe next time. Thanks for sharing your experience with the group.

don't be shooting up pork shoulders...them's for the smoker

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#2901761 - 08/09/12 02:23 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: bobthebowhunter]
jbow
4 Point

Loc: Arlington, TN

I have used rage for a few years now and love them. I did have a few open in flight when I first started dialing them in. After that I use my daughters braces rubberbands over the top of the two blades to hold them intaked until they hit the deer. Have never had a deer go more than 50-60 yards.
#2901770 - 08/09/12 02:33 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: bobthebowhunter]
Living2Hunt
8 Point

Originally Posted By: bobthebowhunter

don't be shooting up pork shoulders...them's for the smoker

Lol! I was using scraps, but there actually was still alittle meat. Maybe i should of cleaned it all off! Pork sandwich sounds good right now!

#2902214 - 08/09/12 10:10 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: Living2Hunt]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

I love the hole a Rage leaves.

#2902288 - 08/10/12 12:07 AM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: jbow]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

Originally Posted By: jbow
I have used rage for a few years now and love them. I did have a few open in flight when I first started dialing them in. After that I use my daughters braces rubberbands over the top of the two blades to hold them intaked until they hit the deer. Have never had a deer go more than 50-60 yards.

Great idea! Does it shoot any different? I'll be calling a local orthodontist...

#2903354 - 08/10/12 09:39 PM Re: Rage talk! Beware, graphic [Re: BHC]
TENN.BOY
4 Point

Loc: Halls

Put a rage in his cage and you will have a downed buck,they cant take that kind cutting.The proof is in the pudding ,when you can watch the majority of the deer you hit fall in sight of your stand
Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
94 registered (encore06, EastTNHunter, tmac, woodchuckc, 2in1shot, redhunterZ71, 18 invisible) and 130 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93156 Topics
1088869 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.115 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.