Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#2898689 - 08/07/12 06:53 AM It hit me while showering!
TN Whitetail Freak
8 Point

Loc: Bradford, TN (Gibson Co.)

Like the majority of Tndeer community Ive been thinking about the upcoming season constantly....and then I started trying to remember the last 3 year old deer I seen hunting.well I while in the shower I traced it back to about 2008 when 2 bucks came in at dark during mid October one in the 130s" the other 160s....then I started pondering why havent I seen any?....What have I changed since then?....Then it hit me....after 2008 I have gradually place less emphasis on scent free showering before hunts and using the earth scented scent wafer....i mean if i plotted my data im sure a direct correlation would be seen....Its time to quit being lazy and reprioritize my scent game.

Life's Not Handed To Ya; Go Get It.

Sure, the rut is a GREAT time to hunt if you don't know what you're doing!

#2898718 - 08/07/12 07:21 AM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co.

What happened to you Side-of-the-Road-Nakedness method that you told us about last year?

#2899034 - 08/07/12 12:55 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: ]
baller_9
8 Point

Loc: West TN

Originally Posted By: LSUtigers
I had a prostaff guy tell me all that stuff is a market gimmick; they just uses it because they sponsor him. I wonder?

I used to be big on scent lok but no longer use any of their garments claiming to control scent. I would agree that all the scent suits are a waste of money based off my personal experiences wearing them for many seasons. I am still a strong believer in scent free wash both in the shower and clothing. Also still believe scent killer sprays can make an impact.

#2899146 - 08/07/12 02:36 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
Pursuit Hunter
8 Point

Loc: Way out there

Originally Posted By: TN Whitetail Freak
Its time to quit being lazy and reprioritize my scent game.
If it was me, I'd focus my energy on something else. That's just me. Your results may differ.

http://www.pursuithunting.com
http://www.pursuitland.com

#2899189 - 08/07/12 03:18 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: Pursuit Hunter]
UTGrad
16 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

Did something hit you in the shower when you dropped the soap?
#2899196 - 08/07/12 03:27 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: baller_9]
TN RDG RNR
12 Point

Loc: Rhea County

Originally Posted By: baller_9
 Originally Posted By: LSUtigers
I had a prostaff guy tell me all that stuff is a market gimmick; they just uses it because they sponsor him. I wonder?

I used to be big on scent lok but no longer use any of their garments claiming to control scent. I would agree that all the scent suits are a waste of money based off my personal experiences wearing them for many seasons. I am still a strong believer in scent free wash both in the shower and clothing. Also still believe scent killer sprays can make an impact.

I agree but, I have a set of those Light-weight Scent Lok Savanna Coveralls that are perfect for early season hunting. If they're clean and its warm out thats what Im wearing.

#2899297 - 08/07/12 05:02 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: TN RDG RNR]
tn droptine
8 Point

Loc: Chester Co, TN/Afghanistan

My dad got this guy two seasons ago while smoking a cigarette while wearing the same Carhart bibs that he washes in the beginning of the season once (with regular detergent) and they hang on the stairway heading down to the basement the rest of the year. I dont buy the whole scent control gimmick.

Oh yeah - this brute was taken in Indiana with a shotgun too at a distance of 30 yds.

http://ghostblind.com/

#2899309 - 08/07/12 05:17 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: tn droptine]
Pursuit Hunter
8 Point

What brand does he smoke? I might have to take up smoking.

#2899319 - 08/07/12 05:24 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: Pursuit Hunter]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

for deer- scent control is way overrate imo. coyote calling- well that is a different story, but you are dealing with a much much smarter critter

#2899353 - 08/07/12 05:47 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: Pursuit Hunter]
tn droptine
8 Point

Loc: Chester Co, TN/Afghanistan

Originally Posted By: Pursuit Hunter
What brand does he smoke? I might have to take up smoking.

Lol - he smokes Doral Full Flavor 100s, doubt you want to start with them \:D

Course they are better than the GPCs he used to smoke - those were rough

http://ghostblind.com/

#2899368 - 08/07/12 06:13 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: tn droptine]
BAMA BOW MERKER
6 Point

Loc: Dyer County, TN

Scent control is important. The more time you take to control your scent, the more it increases your odds. But still the number one factor is wind direction. You could have bathed in diesel fuel and as long as your down wind you will be ok. Borderline winds and deer coming from unexpected directions, are where you gain an advantage with scent control. Big educated bucks love to quarter into the wind, and i will always feel more confident knowing I did what I could to control scent.

Edited by BAMA BOW MERKER (08/07/12 06:14 PM)

#2899522 - 08/07/12 08:43 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: BAMA BOW MERKER]
BAMA BOW MERKER
6 Point

Loc: Dyer County, TN

Oh yea, " Thats what she said!"

#2899673 - 08/07/12 10:22 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: BAMA BOW MERKER]
smyrnagc
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

I can tell you that my deer sightings, and harvesting larger antlered bucks, picked up dramatically when years ago I started washing my hunting clothes in scent free detergent and spraying down with scent spray every time before going into the woods.

In the past two years we have been using Dead Down Wind religiously and it has worked like a charm. We also went to wearing rubber boots years ago and that has covered our scent as well.

#2899702 - 08/07/12 10:53 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: redblood]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

I believe in it 100% I have pretty intense scent control rutine and im sure some pic me out I never know about, but I have vary few deer blow down wind and have several come in down wind every yr. I assume all the products work to some degree but i use scent killer 99. the reason is I had some shoes that I worked out and played basketball in and they stunk so bad I kept them in the garage. I had put powder in em washed them all kinds of stuff but the only thing that worked significantly was spraying them down really good with scent killer and setting them outside over night... actually worked better than the washing machine.

#2899799 - 08/08/12 06:21 AM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: BHC]
Happy Birthday Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

a deer's nose is good enough to "pick you out" of a number of scents.....masking scents don't really mask your smell, they just add another scent to the fray.....

I used to smoke many years ago and have killed deer while smoking, actually laying the cig down or dropping it right before taking the shot.

The truth is very simple. The wind can hide you like no scent control can and it can also give you away and there is nothing you can do....

Sure, you can reduce your scent abit , but never totally eliminate it. if the wind is right for him/her, the deer will pick you up, regardless. If the wind is in your favor, you can do whatever makes you happy and no amount of odor will give you away...

save money on scent control and buy more stands...lol.

play the wind, it's you best friend, or can be your worse enemy.

good luck

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#2899873 - 08/08/12 07:45 AM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Relentless
4 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

I wash the clothes and myself in scent control products, store my clothes in a rubbermade tub with cedar and pine limbs...trying to conceal the human smell as much as possible. Still, if a mature deer is downwind...he's going to smell you. Wind, wind, wind!

#2900114 - 08/08/12 10:49 AM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: Relentless]
Outdoor Lady
16 Point

Loc: Maynardville, Tn

I do spray my boot bottoms and I try not to use heavy scented hairspray.

"Outdoor Lady"

#2900121 - 08/08/12 10:52 AM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: Outdoor Lady]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

just wear blue jeans,smoke marlboro reds and spit and pee everywhere. itll be ok.
#2900311 - 08/08/12 01:04 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: ]
fairchaser
8 Point

Loc: TN, USA

One word. Aqua Velva. Ok two words. \:\)

#2900329 - 08/08/12 01:12 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: Pursuit Hunter]
pastorbmp
12 Point

Loc: Wartburg,TN

Its time to quit being lazy and reprioritize my scent game.
If it was me, I'd focus my energy on something else. That's just me. Your results may differ.

x2

1Ti 1:15: ...Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

#2900330 - 08/08/12 01:13 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: fairchaser]
TN Whitetail Freak
8 Point

Loc: Bradford, TN (Gibson Co.)

Everyone is bound to luck up and shoot a mature buck while lipping a cig....but how consistent is that approach in seeing bigger deer....IMO I was seeing better quality/larger racked deer when being strict on scent contamination based on my field experience

Life's Not Handed To Ya; Go Get It.

Sure, the rut is a GREAT time to hunt if you don't know what you're doing!

#2900367 - 08/08/12 01:43 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
Pursuit Hunter
8 Point

Everyone is bound to luck up and shoot a mature buck while lipping a cig....but how consistent is that approach in seeing bigger deer....
I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that smoking while hunting is going to improve your odds of success, just that all the scent control products and cover scents are unnecessary. If a deer is directly downwind, it is going to smell you. Period.

#2900457 - 08/08/12 02:52 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: Pursuit Hunter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Everyone is bound to luck up and shoot a mature buck while lipping a cig....but how consistent is that approach in seeing bigger deer....
I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that smoking while hunting is going to improve your odds of success, just that all the scent control products and cover scents are unnecessary. If a deer is directly downwind, it is going to smell you. Period.

I don't suscribe to cover scents, but I will say this: Having figured out a scent control method that works (through trial and era), properly treating and using activated carbon products and antibacterial base layers in conjunction with rigorous scrubbing sessions in the shower, changing in the field, properly storing all of my gear including bow releases, backpacks, gun slings, etc, keeping items like wallets, keys etc in double ziplock bags, and hunting a minimum of 25 feet off the ground, I have not been directly busted downwind due to scent in two years, despite having had numerous deer come in down wind. I'm not going to claim that I did not unknowingly spook deer that I never knew were there, but I have gotten away with some very aggressive hunting in the middle of bedding areas with deer bedded down wind of me for hours at a time.

I don't think these steps are necessary for success nor do I bother to try to change anyone's mind, but my hunting has improved tremendously. I feel that my scent impact to the areas that I hunt is basically negligible and I am willing to "go for it" on certain stands where the thermals are working against me. I have one stand that is a thermal nightmare but is so well located, I have to hunt it when conditions are right. I hunted that stand 3 times last season and encountered a total of 8 bucks, all of whom acted suspicious, but never spooked. Thermals were working directly against me and I have no choice but to walk through the shooting lane to hunt the tree. This stand breaks most of the rules of the "hunt the wind book" but, considering the amount of bucks I encountered including the oldest buck I have ever encountered on public land, I am going to hunt it and I am able to hunt it effectively. In my opinion, this is not a confidence thing either. 4 years ago I would have never gotten away with hunting this stand.

Another example: Last season on a hot day in Mid Oct, I had a 3.5 year old buck come directly to my tree and stand at the base sniffing for nearly a full minute before a half hearted blow and a 5 yard jump. He then stood directly downwind with his nose in the air still trying to get a confirmation whiff. Many of my best locations really have no optimal wind direction for hunting. There are "more optimal" wind directions, but it is a compromise for any direction. I take the best conditions I can get and try to use the wind to my advantage as much as possible, and some of my best results on have come from breaking many of the "rules" and putting myself in the middle of deer instead of on the edges of deer. But that's just me, I'm not that great and this would probably be terrible advice if I were giving advice (which I am not).

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2900496 - 08/08/12 03:28 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: Poser]
pastorbmp
12 Point

I use unscented soap and sometimes use scent-killer type sprays on my boots, but the truth is - if air currents and wind direction carries from you to the deer's nose, no amount of scrubbing, or carbon suits, or cover scents or sprays will keep that deer from smelling you. That has been my experience and is my opinion on the matter.

Actually, I have been less "scent control-conscious" over the last 5 years and have seen and killed more mature bucks than the first 20 years I hunted.

1Ti 1:15: ...Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

#2900499 - 08/08/12 03:30 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: pastorbmp]
UTGrad
16 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

Dumb question/idea...if deer are used to the smell of people, especially one that magically drops off a Trophy Rock occassionally, is the human smell a threat?
#2900521 - 08/08/12 03:48 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: pastorbmp]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: pastorbmp
but the truth is - if air currents and wind direction carries from you to the deer's nose, no amount of scrubbing, or carbon suits, or cover scents or sprays will keep that deer from smelling you. That has been my experience and is my opinion on the matter.

Well, hold on now. You just said that it was both the truth and your opinion in the same sentence. Which is it? Opinion or truth?

#2900529 - 08/08/12 03:52 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: UTGrad]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: UTGrad
Dumb question/idea...if deer are used to the smell of people, especially one that magically drops off a Trophy Rock occassionally, is the human smell a threat?

Really depends on the context and the amount of pressure the deer experience. Variations on those two factors can give your a wide swing of results.

#2900551 - 08/08/12 04:11 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: Poser]
pastorbmp
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: pastorbmp
but the truth is - if air currents and wind direction carries from you to the deer's nose, no amount of scrubbing, or carbon suits, or cover scents or sprays will keep that deer from smelling you. That has been my experience and is my opinion on the matter.

Well, hold on now. You just said that it was both the truth and your opinion in the same sentence. Which is it? Opinion or truth?

The truth is, it is my opinion and my opinion is, it is the truth!!! \:D

Edited by pastorbmp (08/08/12 04:12 PM)

#2901311 - 08/09/12 08:10 AM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: Poser]
Hill Country Hunter
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Originally Posted By: Poser
... I hunted that stand 3 times last season and encountered a total of 8 bucks, all of whom acted suspicious, but never spooked.

This fits with my view on scent control: it is impossible to eliminate all human scent, so if a deer is downstream in your scent path, it is going to detect human scent. However, I think (opinion here \:D ) that if the scent is substantially less than is typical for sweaty, smelly humans, the dilution of scent may confuse the deer or indicate that the source is significantly farther away than it actually is. I also think this can work to your advantage even more when hunting in areas where there are always or often non-threatening humans in the area--suburbs, parks, near hiking trails, perhaps farms, etc. In those instances, the deer are used to smelling humans at a reasonable distance and are not alarmed as long as the deer's space is not invaded. Keep the scent level low and, in my opinion, the deer are likely to interpret it as diluted scent from human a little ways away doing what they do every day. The deer may be on alert and watch/wait to pinpoint the human, but that is better than them being overwhelmed by the scent and blowing out of there knowing that their bedroom was invaded.

So, I use scent control procedures very similar to Poser's and feel much more confident when I have been meticulous about it. On long hikes in or whenn climbing a mountainsie, I will sometimes wear a different set of clothes, change completely when I get to the stand, and seal the sweat/y clothes in a couple of bags.

#2901362 - 08/09/12 08:58 AM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: Hill Country Hunter]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

IMO scent control will give back what you put in it! Lackluster efforts will get lackluster results. First off there is no eliminating your human scent, simply cant be done. You can however significantly reduce the amount of scent you leave behind and put off.
I also agree that if a deer gets directly downwind and your scent stream hits them in the nose, they will smell you. Now how strong of a scent stream they get can be controlled atleast somewhat. The huge difference in reactions that people often discusss here, from "the deer was directly downwind and never smelled me, even after I hadnt took a shower in 3 days and wore the same clothes all season" to " I did everything I could and the deer still smelled me even when the wind was in my face" comes from different deer. Meaning each and every deer have their own personality, and some are much more wary and sensitive than others. Case in point is when you sit a stand and watch your entry trail. Having 5 different deer cross that path in the same exact spot, will likely get you 5 different reactions to your scent trail.
Im of the opinion that, while I know I cant eliminate my scent, reducing it as much as I can within reason definitely has its benefits in many situations. If the right deer hesitates just a second more before he pegs my scent, mission accomplished, as it may be the 1 second I needed to kill him!!! Besides that, showering often and wearing clean clothes is my daily routine anyway, not a big deal to do the extra steps for me!

#2901440 - 08/09/12 09:59 AM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: Winchester]
Hill Country Hunter
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Originally Posted By: Winchester
... Besides that, showering often and wearing clean clothes is my daily routine anyway, not a big deal to do the extra steps for me!

What a novel idea!!! \:D

#2901735 - 08/09/12 02:07 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: Hill Country Hunter]
jbow
4 Point

Loc: Arlington, TN

Do you think scent control is needed in a bow hunting area that is between a highway and a developed housing area? These deer smell car exhaust, Ms. Smiths cooking, and the sweaty kids everyday. Do I still need to worry about scent control?
#2901752 - 08/09/12 02:21 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: jbow]
smyrnagc
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

I would say to run around behind your car getting the exhaust on your clothes, stop by Ms. Smith and get a bite to eat and with all this running around you will be pretty sweaty...then go hunt. (Just funnin wit ya!)

#2901759 - 08/09/12 02:22 PM Re: It hit me while showering! [Re: jbow]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: jbow
Do you think scent control is needed in a bow hunting area that is between a highway and a developed housing area? These deer smell car exhaust, Ms. Smiths cooking, and the sweaty kids everyday. Do I still need to worry about scent control?

Hard to say. Really just depends on the hunting pressure. Suburban deer that are not hunted often will have a tolerance for human scent, however, just because they eat out of your yard does not mean that they will perceive you walking into the woods as a threat. They can get used to certain activities and have a understanding of when and where human presence presents a threat.

Personally, I always practice scent control when deer hunting if for no other reason then to just maintain the discipline of doing so. If you are already having success without it, then I wouldn't worry about it so much. There are so many factors involved in this. For example, if you are walking a half a mile through deer habitat to get to your stand, then you might want to consider your scent, however, sitting on a field edge or just barely entering the woods will not have near the same impact.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
7 registered (CAW, Cabinfever, tanker179, JoshDosMil, rem270, rbreedi1, 1 invisible) and 80 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.