Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2897089 - 08/05/12 06:41 PM tracker grizzley boats
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

Anybody got one or been in one? I am thinking of pulling the trigger one, looking at the 1648 or 1754 models. Not sure about the options and so forth. One question that comes to mind, is it better to get one with a steering wheel or to do it my hand?Have never owned a boat and have very limited experiences with them. But living in the Hampton roads area the best opportunity to enjoy the outdoors is to get a boat. My wife seems to be OK with it so far.
#2897159 - 08/05/12 07:48 PM Re: tracker grizzley boats [Re: pass-thru]
Kimberman
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

I have never fished out of a boat and wished it were shorter. Buy the longer boat every time. If I were buying a do all type boat ( hunt and or fish) I would buy a center console 18-20 foot alumInum with decks. A 75-115 HP Yamaha would be nice on the back.

#2897171 - 08/05/12 07:57 PM Re: tracker grizzley boats [Re: Kimberman]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

Ive had a 1754 sc grizzly duck edition for several years. Great boat never left me stranded and is very tough. It's not the smoothest of rides on rough water but as far as safety goes I'd put my money on it. The only thing I would change is that i would have got the center console over the side. If you got any questions just ask

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#2897173 - 08/05/12 08:00 PM Re: tracker grizzley boats [Re: pass-thru]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

Look around for a used one in that area. My BIL was stationed in Norfolk and it seems as if I would see a good deal on a boat for in-shore almost every time I visited them. In that area I would want something that would be able to handle the Chesapeake Bay so I could get on the rock fish in Oct!!!

#2897439 - 08/05/12 11:03 PM Re: tracker grizzley boats [Re: Beekeeper]
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

Hey Hollar Hunter is there anything in particular you don't like about he side console? It looks like now you have to get the next size up for a center console the 1860....did you ever wish you had gone that extra size up?

One of my concerns with going larger is I have limited space in my driveway. Also the ease of launching and landing onto the trailer...how difficult is this by yourself?

Did your grizzly come with any kind of anchor system? Do you ever use an anchor?

One of the main things I will you the boat for is my trapping. I want something big enough to handle the rivers but small enough bank in the tight spots.

#2897736 - 08/06/12 10:23 AM Re: tracker grizzley boats [Re: pass-thru]
CATCHDAWG
10 Point

Loc: Bradley co. TN

I'm wanting the same boat in the 16'. I think I would prefer a tiller motor over a console to maximize the space since I will have four people in it on occasion.

#2897780 - 08/06/12 11:05 AM Re: tracker grizzley boats [Re: CATCHDAWG]
Dbllunger
10 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

It mostly depends on the type of water where you will be using it most. Bigger is not always better. I have a Seark 1648 with a tiller handle 25hp Johnson and it is perfect for MY needs. I fish a lot below Wheeler Dam and it handles the big water there easily and the tiller handle makes maneuvering much easier. I also fish some very shallow water for giant Rockfish and the boat is still light enough to handle that water well. I see big boats all the time when I rockfish and they aren't able to get even close to where the big fish I catch are.

Determine your specific needs and buy accordingly. Good luck.

#2897845 - 08/06/12 12:12 PM Re: tracker grizzley boats [Re: Dbllunger]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

The reason I got the boat I did was for running the rivers for fishing/duck hunting and fishing below dams which i prefer over the lake. but also wanted something very sturdy for those very reasons.I run in shallow water banging stumps or logs here or there you can trim it up and run pretty darn shallow. Like I said if the waters rough with waves it doesn't ride nice and smooth like a fiberglass boat but if you were to hit a log or rock you ain't gonna crack in half either... The side console works fine but its a bit tight so if you want or need to get up quickly for say trolling and a rod goes off. The other reason is a lot of times coming home in the dark especially on the river you have to stand up to really get a good look as to whats floating or standing on the water Trees,logs,big trash debris you just never no whats floating down the cumberland river especially when the waters up. The center console gives you that versatility that i didn't anticipate when I bought mine as it was my first boat. It does not have an anchor system. I do use one though but basically I just use a big rock after loosing so many purchased anchors that get hung up especially below the dams that you can't get back. So if I can't get it back or an emergency happens below the dam I can just cut the rope and be out a couple bucks. If your looking for a good sturdy river boat it fits the bill as ive never been concerned about it not holding up and ive been out in aa lot of stuff most wouldn't. Mine is 17.5 foot with a 60hp 2 stroke on it gun locker and livewell. I load and unload it all the time by myself without a problem. I've carried 4 folks many times and have had no issue.I'm debating selling mine after this season because I still would like to get a center console. Don't know how quick your looking to get one but just throwing that out there.

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#2898076 - 08/06/12 04:06 PM Re: tracker grizzley boats [Re: Hollar Hunter]
jakeway
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville, TN, USA

I have a Seark 1548, similar to the Grizly, with a 25 HP 2 stroke tiller Mercury. I think it would be perfect for river fishing and trapping. I only wish I had electric start. I wouldn't want console.

#2898670 - 08/07/12 06:20 AM Re: tracker grizzley boats [Re: jakeway]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Here is my take.

I have a skeeter 17/56 center console welded aluminum. 70hp Johnson. Similar to a grizzly in design.

I have never wished the boat was smaller. Good trade off of size vs. weight.

The advantage of a CC. Dryer when running in windy choppy conditions. Can stand or sit for better visibility. Load is always balanced in the center if running solo. You can fish around a cc easier than a side console which is always in the way when fishing out one side of the boat.

I would also go for the wider boat if possible. The extra footprint will allow the same length boat to float shallower. If you are running it up on mudflats like a Godevil boat, narrower is better, but for flat water fishing, the wider boat is more stable and floats higher. It also carries more stuff if you trap or hunt out of the boat.

Shop around, you can probably find a better boat for the same or less money. Grizzly makes a decent boat but the welds look sloppy and my welding instructor always said a sloppy weld is a weak weld.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
14 registered (Countryboy0626, missalot, arctic_cat, mossyoakmantn, tyson007, TNtrapper, 2 invisible) and 58 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90925 Topics
1062479 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.