Tndeer Logo

Page all of 3 123>
Topic Options
#2896941 - 08/05/12 03:46 PM Scent Control in Hot Weather?
LanceS4803
6 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Putting out my cameras today, and was quickly soaked in sweat. (This land is all steep hills, ravines and plateaus.)
There is no way to get up to these areas without arriving stinking to high heaven.
How do bowhunters, who start in Sep, handle scent control in hot weather?

#2896962 - 08/05/12 04:01 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: LanceS4803]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

sleepy Online
I just try to play the wind cause there is no way not to sweat during early season.

#2897011 - 08/05/12 05:17 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: easy45]
hunterncoach
6 Point

Loc: northern middle tn

same as easy, but I do take a change of clothes & put my old ones in a zip lock baggie when i get in my stand & also use the body powder that someone makes...i forget who it is
#2897036 - 08/05/12 05:36 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: hunterncoach]
Pursuit Hunter
8 Point

Loc: Way out there

Set up downwind from where you expect them to be. That's the only effective strategy any time of year, hot or cold.

http://www.pursuithunting.com
http://www.pursuitland.com

#2897044 - 08/05/12 05:52 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: Pursuit Hunter]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

what I can never decide is whether to wear my scent blocker suit which is a little warmer and makes me sweat a little but may retain some scent, or to where very very light clothes that will likely not retain any scent but keep me cooler. This yr im going to get me one of those frog tog towels to put on my neck maybe thatll help some..

#2897090 - 08/05/12 06:44 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: BHC]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I do not hunt my high confidence big buck areas in early bow season unless it is an area VERY easily accessible.
OR...unless I have good intel on a mature buck pattern and have to hunt NOW or blow an opportunity. In that case, I play thermals or wind.

Let's face it, I rarely if ever worry too much about scent control. I stink. There is not much I can do about it in the heat.

Element of surprise, minimal scent saturation in an area (low repetition on hunts), and having LOTS of high confidence areas to hunt spread over several different doe groups is my best advice.

SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#2897117 - 08/05/12 07:06 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: 102]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

content Online
 Originally Posted By: 102
I do not hunt my high confidence big buck areas in early bow season unless it is an area VERY easily accessible.

102 beat me to it; no way I'm blowing my very best stands early.

I have a Rubbermaid tub of cotton T's + pants/overalls that I wash and rotate every nearly every hunt. Odor-free detergent, body wash, spray, and unscented deoderant all-over. Final consideration for stand location is the wind.

#2897132 - 08/05/12 07:20 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: Boll Weevil]
BowGuy84
10 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN and Louisville, ...

Originally Posted By: Boll Weevil
 Originally Posted By: 102

102 beat me to it; no way I'm blowing my very best stands early.

I have a Rubbermaid tub of cotton T's + pants/overalls that I wash and rotate every nearly every hunt. Odor-free detergent, body wash, spray, and unscented deoderant all-over. Final consideration for stand location is the wind.

I have like 4 totes of clothes one for pack and harness and one boots. That being said my top spots aren't hunted until the late prerut.

I also don't hunt without the correct wind.

#2897133 - 08/05/12 07:21 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: Boll Weevil]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Yeah, I stick to stands designated for early season hunting, often only hunt them one time each, sometimes twice. Deal with the sweat and heat best I can, take all necessary precautions, hunt the wind, hunt high in the tree.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2897166 - 08/05/12 07:55 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: easy45]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Originally Posted By: easy45
I just try to play the wind cause there is no way not to sweat during early season.

This^^^^^^

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#2897190 - 08/05/12 08:10 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: Bone Collector]
Super8
8 Point

Loc: USofA

When I am 18 feet up in my climber I do not think they can smell me before they are in shooting range. Hasn't seemed to bother them in 20+ years.
I do use non-scented laundry detergent and deodorant and play the wind but I worry most about them catching movement and always move slow and easy.

#2897252 - 08/05/12 08:53 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: Bone Collector]
Phil1979
12 Point

Loc: Arlington, TN

Originally Posted By: Bone Collector

This^^^^^^

Yep. Play the wind or don't hunt that stand if wind not right.

#2897285 - 08/05/12 09:10 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: Phil1979]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

never worry about it

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#2897396 - 08/05/12 10:01 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: Deer Assassin]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

I take my time going in so i don't sweat as much and climb a little higher

#2897398 - 08/05/12 10:03 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: ImThere]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

i dont hunt when its hot

#2897511 - 08/06/12 06:37 AM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: Bone Collector]
htnseymour
8 Point

Loc: sevier county Tn

I stick to my early stands as well, but I have also found using a ground blind helps a lot. I spray down the blind after each hunt to kill any scent left behind.

#2897521 - 08/06/12 06:49 AM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: htnseymour]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

I love it when hunters think that deer can't smell them if they get really high in a tree.....all that does is put the scent reaching the ground further out , so they pick you up further away and avoid the area, while you never know they are there.

being that high off the ground works well if deer come in from another direction and can't pick up your scent before they get out to it, walking away, giving you lots of time to get a shot.

But, then again, they can smell your footprints, the cells off your skin as you walked in, where you touched a limb, and most anything else ......

so....anything other than down wind is mere luck that the deer doesn't bust you , maybe even before you know it's there...

I still know people that will hunt a stand every day regardless of the wind direction.......lol.

I love it when they tell me that they aren't seeing any deer and can't figure out why???????? lol

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#2897636 - 08/06/12 08:51 AM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: easy45]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

content Online

Yep, and this keeps me out of the woods for the most part b/c I do not want to stink up the place I'll be hunting, so I have "bow" spots and "gun" spots to hunt to keep from messing a good place up for the whole season. ;\)

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#2897648 - 08/06/12 08:59 AM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: Deer Assassin]
Mossy Oak
8 Point

Loc: Montgomery Co.

Originally Posted By: Deer Assassin
never worry about it

Same here. There is no way I would miss a day of hunting just because the wind is not right. My theory has worked for the past 20 years.

Team Release and Catch Bowfishing

http://www.dirtnapgear.com/

#2897729 - 08/06/12 10:13 AM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: Mossy Oak]
hunterncoach
6 Point

Old Timmers used to tell me to hang old clothes that you have worn out all summer around your stand to let them get used to the smell & no adverse reactions. Then you may be able to get by with them smelling you the first week or two of season. Of course that won't last all year, but if it helps you score early then its worth it! I have never tried this, but makes sense that it would work

Edited by hunterncoach (08/06/12 10:14 AM)

#2897749 - 08/06/12 10:33 AM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: hunterncoach]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

content Online
 Originally Posted By: hunterncoach
Old Timmers used to tell me to hang old clothes that you have worn out all summer around your stand to let them get used to the smell & no adverse reactions. Then you may be able to get by with them smelling you the first week or two of season. Of course that won't last all year, but if it helps you score early then its worth it! I have never tried this, but makes sense that it would work

That reminds me of the story someone told of putting a manequin in your stand dressed to hunt so the deer would assume it was still there on opening day, when in fact it was the hunter!

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#2897785 - 08/06/12 11:10 AM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: MUP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: MUP

That reminds me of the story someone told of putting a manequin in your stand dressed to hunt so the deer would assume it was still there on opening day, when in fact it was the hunter!

Even better. You should just build a treehouse and live in it year around \:o

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2897849 - 08/06/12 12:14 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: Poser]
hunterncoach
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser

Even better. You should just build a treehouse and live in it year around \:o
I believe Gene or Barry Wensel were the ones who I saw put a maequin in their stand...I know I have it on VHS somewhere. Can't argue much with their success!

#2897875 - 08/06/12 12:52 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: LanceS4803]
TN RDG RNR
12 Point

Loc: Rhea County

Do what I can, short of dressing up a manequin..... :).. then hunt every chance I get.

#2897947 - 08/06/12 01:51 PM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: TN RDG RNR]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

play the wind as best you can,all you can do

You wont know,if you dont go!

#2898664 - 08/07/12 06:06 AM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: MUP]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

Funny you mentioned this.....I had a friend that did just this, many years ago . The thing is, he forgot he put the dummy in the stand and when he went to it in the dark on opening day it about scared him into a heartache.....lol.

he actually climbed up the ladder before shining up in the stand and when he got there, he about pooped his pants.

he admitted to this, I'm not so sure that I would have...lol.

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#2902508 - 08/10/12 08:11 AM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: Bottom Hunter]
TITANSFAN2104
8 Point

Loc: watertown ,TN

Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter
I love it when hunters think that deer can't smell them if they get really high in a tree.....all that does is put the scent reaching the ground further out , so they pick you up further away and avoid the area, while you never know they are there.

being that high off the ground works well if deer come in from another direction and can't pick up your scent before they get out to it, walking away, giving you lots of time to get a shot.

But, then again, they can smell your footprints, the cells off your skin as you walked in, where you touched a limb, and most anything else ......

so....anything other than down wind is mere luck that the deer doesn't bust you , maybe even before you know it's there...

I still know people that will hunt a stand every day regardless of the wind direction.......lol.

I love it when they tell me that they aren't seeing any deer and can't figure out why???????? lol

I have always been under the impression that during hot weather that scent molecules would rise with the heat rather than fall and cold weather they tend to descend more. Barometric pressure might actually play a part in this as well

Edited by TITANSFAN2104 (08/10/12 08:12 AM)

#2902533 - 08/10/12 08:30 AM Re: Scent Control in Hot Weather? [Re: TITANSFAN2104]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

Loc: collinwood tn

i agree titansfan, i dont believe a deer's nose is as good during hot dry weather. It is still good but not as good. Critters dont lay down as much scent during hot dry conditions,neither do humans. But i still do what i can so limit my scent early bow season and thru out deer season.

Page all of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
105 registered (k-i-d-d, bjohnson, cozy23, tnbucs1, Master Chief, LSUtigers, 18 invisible) and 170 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92924 Topics
1085802 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.091 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.