Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2890510 - 07/30/12 01:01 PM Jump Off & Charlies Bunion - Pic Overload
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

This past weekend, I decided to take my training hike out to Jump Off and Charlies Bunion within the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. When I got to the parking lot at 7:30 am, there were only a handful of cars, when I walked out along the trail, it looked like I was walking into Dollywood. It was unbelievable, the number of people just parked at Newfound Gap. Here's a photo summary of my trip. Just a warning, this was probably the most scenic hike I've been on in the Smokies.

What was the temperature where you were?

The hike to Charlies Bunion follows the Appalachian Trail and is just over 4 miles from the parking lot. Jump Off is just off the trail and adds another mile to the round trip.

It's a little rocky

Indian Pipe

One of the first views I came to. Mt. Leconte.

Second view. Looking out somewhere over NC.

Hog trap. There was fresh rooting all around it. Looks like they need to get out here and set it.

How about this one for you hiking guru's. Could this be a pointing tree? It's right at the trail junction with Sweat Heifer Creek Trail. The tree is dead now, but you can tell that the trunk has been twisted around multiple time over many years, and it is pointed right at Newfound Gap.

I've got some work to do, so check back later. More pictures to come. I'm only about 1/3 of the way there and I haven't even made it to either of the overlooks yet.

#2890518 - 07/30/12 01:04 PM Re: Jump Off & Charlies Bunion - Pic Overload [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

real cool. i love the hike to charlie's bunyon. I also like going to icewater springs shelter.

#2890531 - 07/30/12 01:12 PM Re: Jump Off & Charlies Bunion - Pic Overload [Re: Brisco Darlin]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Buzz, don't you know hiking is like reading a book. You don't read books because there is T.V. and you don't hike because we have cars, motorcycles, and ATV's. I will let you slide because you're preparing for a hunting trip. I guess the only time hiking should ever be permitted is if you're going to fish somewhere or kill something - so you're in the gray area on that and i guess it can be allowed.

Edited by BlountArrow (07/30/12 01:13 PM)

#2890543 - 07/30/12 01:26 PM Re: Jump Off & Charlies Bunion - Pic Overload [Re: Brisco Darlin]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Brisco Darlin
real cool. i love the hike to charlie's bunyon. I also like going to icewater springs shelter.

Were your ears burning on Saturday sometime in the early afternoon? I was fishing with Model70Man and we started talking work and your name came up. I'll shoot you a PM in the next couple days to further explain.

I've got some pictures of Icewater Springs Shelter that I'll post up. I was hiking with a buddy of mine and his wife; and while we stopped to take a little break, a guy passed us and was using a painters extention pole for a hiking stick. A little while later, another guy passed us and he too was using a painters extention pole for a hiking stick. My buddy Larry looked at me and laughed saying something about missing the memo that I didn't need the fancy expensive walking sticks and I could have just gone to Home Depot and saved some money.

Well, when we got to the shelter, we soon figured out why they had extention poles. Here's what we saw.

They were volunteers there to paint the roof of the shelter.

Inside shot for those who'd never seen the inside of an Applachian Trail shelter. It's pretty much a glorified lean-to.

More pictures to come....

#2890547 - 07/30/12 01:29 PM Re: Jump Off & Charlies Bunion - Pic Overload [Re: BlountArrow]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
Buzz, don't you know hiking is like reading a book. You don't read books because there is T.V. and you don't hike because we have cars, motorcycles, and ATV's. I will let you slide because you're preparing for a hunting trip. I guess the only time hiking should ever be permitted is if you're going to fish somewhere or kill something - so you're in the gray area on that and i guess it can be allowed.

You should have seen the look on everybody's faces when we were at Charlies Bunion and I asked if anyone needed a refill on water. I then pulled 3 gallons of water out of my backpack and started giving refills. I though some dude from Knoxville waas going to fall off the mountain. He couldn't believe I'd just hauled that up there.

#2890687 - 07/30/12 03:51 PM Re: Jump Off & Charlies Bunion - Pic Overload [Re: Buzzard Breath]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

In my less intelligent days I've been on hikes where an almost empty backpack felt like it weighed 50lbs. So, let's see 3 gallons of water, approx 8 lbs each ................ yep, that makes you a nut.

#2890735 - 07/30/12 04:59 PM Re: Jump Off & Charlies Bunion - Pic Overload [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Time for some new pics.

This is looking out into NC. If I have my bearings right, Deep Creek should be just over the ridge you see.

2.7 miles into the hike, you run into the junction with Boulevard Trail.

Take the Boulevard Trail a little ways until you see a sign for Jump Off. Follow it, it's well worth the extra effort.

Views from Jump Off.

Gratuitous flower shots

I'm getting better at these close-ups.

Next, Charlies Bunion....

#2890747 - 07/30/12 05:15 PM Re: Jump Off & Charlies Bunion - Pic Overload [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

After hiking retracing my steps out to the Appalachian Trail, I was off to Charlies Bunion.

A little ways into the hike from Boulevard Trail, you'll se a rock outcropping sticking out. There just happened to be some folks sitting on it this time.

The views from Charlies Bunion were also great.

Jump Off is visible from here and can be found just left of the rock outcropping in this picture.

Me, Myself, and I. If I look constipated, I'm not. I'm just sitting on a sharp pointed rock with nothing but air for several hundred feet below me to my left, right, and back.

Final scenic shot.

See you on the next trip.

#2890792 - 07/30/12 06:15 PM Re: Jump Off & Charlies Bunion - Pic Overload [Re: Buzzard Breath]
turk870
6 Point

Loc: centerville

nice pics,the wife and i are just getting our toes wet,we camped at 24 for a few days fishing around the 4th.she is hooked so we shall be venturing out east whenever possable.in the last pic are those asolo or zamberlan.going to get a pair before my trip to montana.havent desided which yet
#2890940 - 07/30/12 09:04 PM Re: Jump Off & Charlies Bunion - Pic Overload [Re: turk870]
whiskey
4 Point

Loc: Port Royal, TN

Great pics. Adding this to my trip list.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Taylor, RUGER, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Dodge Man) and 50 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.