Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2884696 - 07/24/12 02:15 PM Kayak Fisherman, I have questions
MidTennFisher
4 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I want to buy a kayak and like this one a lot. Of course, Ill be buying it from Dunham Sports for about 250 dollars cheaper.

http://futurebeach.com/index.php/kayaks/sit-in-kayaks-2/anglertm-144-12.html

It's not too big that I can't strap it on top of my Grand Cherokee (I think) but plenty big enough for me being over 6 ft tall. It has all the storage, rod holders, etc. that I need. I will be using it to fish the Caney Fork River, often below the dam and sometimes during generation. Of course, Ill stay to the left side of the wall so I won't be in the current. I also will use it around Center Hill Lake to get a lot more access than I'd have from the bank. I commonly see areas I'd love to cast to but can't access from shore fishing. I may venture to other lakes with it too but I'm planning on using it near the shore, not paddling very far away. Knowing this, do you experienced kayak fisherman see anything about this kayak that wouldn't suit my needs? I know there are nicer ones out there but I don't want to spend much more than $500. I don't need all the fancy additions, just the basics to allow me to fish the way I like but have more access than shore fishing gives me.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

#2884757 - 07/24/12 03:13 PM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: MidTennFisher]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

I dont see anything wrong with it, but I just have a cheap pelical castaway so I dont have anything real nice but I love it.

#2884857 - 07/24/12 05:19 PM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: smstone22]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

It may not seem like much, but a kayak with a quality seat will make all the difference. That seat does not look adjustable. Your legs will be cramping and your back hurting in short order. Especially since you are over six feet tall.

#2885340 - 07/25/12 07:57 AM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: Diehard Hunter]
jakeway
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville, TN, USA

Ditto on the seat. The hull also doesn't look as streamlined as some. You'll find paddling upstream against one generator tough going. I used to have an Ocean kayak Drifter, and even that got tiring against the current. It worked great downstream or no generation. I sold it after I bought a Gheenoe, which is 500% better for the Caney than a kayak, though a bit heavy (125 lbs) for car topping.

If I bought another fishing kayak I'd get a Tarpon 120

#2885349 - 07/25/12 08:08 AM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: jakeway]
MidTennFisher
4 Point

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_196951_-1?N=670787849

On another forum, someone suggested this. It's made from the same mold as the Tarpon 120 and has a much more comfortable looking seat. I never took that into consideration but I certainly won't want to sit on hard plastic all day so I'll scratch the kayak I first listed. I won't be paddling upstream against a generator ever. The only time I'd even be kayaking in the Caney during generation is if I was on the left side of the wall, out of the current, casting into it.

I'm more concerned with stability than I am with speed. Some tell me that tipping some kayaks is inevitable. I really don't want to tip it in the Caney on a cold day. That whole hypothermia thing worries me. In the summer I wouldn't care, it would feel good as long as I don't lose a rod.

What do you think about plugging the scudder holes? I won't be fishing in rough waters so I don't need them and I'd rather not have water coming in through them keeping my butt wet all the time.

#2885361 - 07/25/12 08:17 AM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: MidTennFisher]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

That 2nd one looks good. Looks like something I'd consider getting; I'm wanting a kayak as well. Like you, I'm more concerned with stability than speed. I'll sacrifice a little speed for good stability.

#2885478 - 07/25/12 09:57 AM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: moondawg]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Plugging the scupper holes would not be a problem. You can get the plugs and remove them when you need the drainage. You can also get a depth finder that fits into a scupper hole.

The second link looks like a much better option.

Make sure it has the bungees on the side to hold your paddle while you are fishing.

#2885490 - 07/25/12 10:13 AM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: Diehard Hunter]
lung-buster
10 Point

Loc: Southern Middle Tn

The seat is the main thing. Ive got a pelican castaway ive use in the river,creeks, and gulf. It dosent have any pading for your arse and in long floats i have to sit on something or stand up for a bit.
#2885503 - 07/25/12 10:23 AM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: lung-buster]
jakeway
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville, TN, USA

I used to put in at Betty's island during low water and paddle upstream' then ride the bubble back. Most stable kayak out there is Drifter, but no longer made. Most sit on top styles you can sit with oth legs over the same side and it won't flip. I've kayaked Caney in Feb just wear waders.

Plug scupper holes, and open them occasionally or on shore to drain the. Water that WILL get in boat from paddle, your feet when getting in, etc.

#2885976 - 07/25/12 06:23 PM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: jakeway]
chck3300
4 Point

Loc: Western North Carolina

Whatever you get i highly recommend a rudder,when a breeze catches you it is just like a foot controled trolling motor...Great while fishing.I think you can buy one and install it later though.
#2885989 - 07/25/12 06:50 PM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: chck3300]
ShaneHallum
Good ol' Boys
16 Point

Loc: Belk Tennessee

Good looking boat.. make sure your seat is comfortable. Other than that your good. You will learn to lean to adjust the boat in the wind.

See if the reviews talk about being able to stand up in the yak, cause its hard on the butt to sit in a kayak for several hours trying to fish.

#2886579 - 07/26/12 10:44 AM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: ShaneHallum]
MidTennFisher
4 Point

This one isn't really ideal for trying to stand in but that's ok with me. I'll be using it quite a bit in the Caney so if I need to stand up if my legs get cramped I can just go to shore and walk around for a few minutes. Same deal if I'm out on the lake, I'll just paddle to shore. Actually, in a lake I might just jump in and go for a swim. Not in the Caney though, way too cold for that option!
#2886652 - 07/26/12 11:48 AM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: MidTennFisher]
lung-buster
10 Point

Ide rather put my kayak in the creek or river than my bass boat in the lake. I have a blast fishing out of it. I rigged up an 8 lb anchor and works great if i want to fish a swift spot or go for a swim.
#2886903 - 07/26/12 03:58 PM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: lung-buster]
ShaneHallum
Good ol' Boys
16 Point

I'd much rather fish out of my kayak than a bass boat. I can go anywhere that I want, and do it as quiet as I want.

nothing like being able to sit in the water and not hear a noise.

#2889788 - 07/29/12 08:00 PM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: MidTennFisher]
MidTennFisher
4 Point

I went to check out that Pescador kayak that Academy Sports and Outdoors has. It's awesome but there's one problem. I didn't quite realize how long 12 feet is! There is no way that thing will fit leaned up against in the corner at my apartment, the bottom would have to stick out almost 9 feet. Does anyone have some creative suggestions for storing it in limited space?
#2891643 - 07/31/12 01:49 PM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: MidTennFisher]
ShaneHallum
Good ol' Boys
16 Point

We hang ours in the shed using bow hangers..

#2892392 - 08/01/12 12:49 AM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: ShaneHallum]
lung-buster
10 Point

I have 2 pullies in my garage celing and pull up the front and back and tie them off to a cleat on the wall.
#2892528 - 08/01/12 08:28 AM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: lung-buster]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Kayak fishing is great but it is tough on your back/butt/legs.

Get the best seat you can with good lumbar support and the highest back possible. You need to be able to lean back to stretch/relax.

Outriggers started becoming popular about the time I moved from FL. which allowed you to stand up and fish. I think somebody came out with a catamaran style fishing Yak which put a damper on the outrigger design but I haven't kept up with it.

If you can find an old sash/window weight, epoxy it inside a pvc pipe for use as an anchor in flat water, and a drag weight in moving water. Gluing it inside the pipe helps quiet it down when dragging and keeps rust from getting all over your stuff.

Enjoy your yak fishing and remember to post pix!

#2894573 - 08/02/12 10:18 PM Re: Kayak Fisherman, I have questions [Re: fishboy1]
Kebo
6 Point

Loc: GreenEville, TN

I just bought yaks for my kids and myself. You might want to look at Wilderness Systems Ride 115 or 135 or a Commander 120 or 140. They all have the same pontoon hull that makes them very stable. The Rides are sit-on-tops. The Commanders are canoe/kayak hybrids. They have the stable kayak hull, but they have what looks like a canoe top so that you can hold a little more gear. Since my kids will be paddling them on the river, I went for super stable and they have great seats. Also, they can be set up well for fishing with rod holders, etc. For good prices, check out Austin Canoe and Kayak (free shipping right now) or Paddleva.com. ACK has package deals with paddle, life vest, etc. for really good prices. Good luck and hope you enjoy it!
Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
82 registered (leader, Setterman, 7wsm, dr, jmoreland, ghosthunter, 9 invisible) and 144 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85405 Topics
1031952 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.271 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.