Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#2881715 - 07/21/12 10:35 AM Re: how many of you? [Re: trealtree]
piffnmo
4 Point

Loc: west tenn

west tenn where clear mountain streams are not readily available,summer time,walk yes,avoid all humans yes.

#2881762 - 07/21/12 11:43 AM Re: how many of you? [Re: piffnmo]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: piffnmo
west tenn where clear mountain streams are not readily available,summer time,walk yes,avoid all humans yes.

Day 1: Walk and Forage for supplies, I would walk until I found a somewhat clear water source Ie: creek, spring. While walking I would be looking for a clear plastic container, the kind that you see all over the place at the lake or floating in creeks.

Once I found a clear container and a water source I would set up a small shelter nearby. (In real life I would probably just sneak up to someone's water faucet in the middle of the night and fill up a 2 liter jug that I took from their trash can) I would fill up my clear container that I have found along a creek somewhere and sit it out in the sun so that it could be sterilized by the suns UV rays. http://www.sodis.ch/methode/index_EN

After my shelter is built ( A simple "lean to" since it is summer) I would take a nap and let my water soak up some UV rays.

Later in the evening I would go out and shoot a rabbit or some other type of small game or deer butcher it and slice the meat into very small/thin strips and hang the meat from sharpened sticks near camp so that they could dry.

Day 2: Lounge around camp drink all my water up and refill it so that it can be sterilized by mid afternoon. Strips of meat should be dry by the end of the day also. If I did not kill anything, I would do some foraging for dandelion's or cattails so I dont get rabbit fever from eating too much protein over the next few weeks. Best case scenario there would be some crops in the area( very common in west TN) and I could eat some corn on the cob some other type of edible plant.

Depending on how much ammo I had I may take a bullet out of one of the 22 shells and dig some pocket lint or cut my shirttail and stuff the lint and small piece of cotton into the shell. Make up a good tender bundle from some cedar bark and carefully place the shell into the tender bundle and hit the primer with a rock to get a good spark in there. The fire should keep the mosquitos away and help in drying the meat strips.

Day 3 thru 30: Repeat a variation of the above steps possibly moving locations and making wider foraging trips looking for more food or cover.

#2881769 - 07/21/12 11:51 AM Re: how many of you? [Re: piffnmo]
Master Chief
8 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Originally Posted By: piffnmo

Creeks and lakes and fairly abundant though. Once you find a creek or lake you'll have no problem with the temperature. Once you find a creek you will needto build shelter out of logs and other materials. Your roof will have to be made of sticks and leaves to begin with. Now all you need is a fire which almost and member would figure out how to make. You could find flint rocks or a number of other different ways to do it. The intense summer heat will really improve your chances of making a fire.

Now just to find and kill some food. Preferably a deer as it's skin will work great for a new and improved roof.

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#2881878 - 07/21/12 02:52 PM Re: how many of you? [Re: Master Chief]
piffnmo
4 Point

Loc: west tenn

good responses. tahts kinda what i had in mind when i asked the question. thanks

#2881911 - 07/21/12 03:42 PM Re: how many of you? [Re: piffnmo]
Brisco Darlin
8 Point

Loc: East Tn.

practice primitive fire making. it's sure not as easy as picking up a rock and smaking your knife against it. plus you need to be able to identify what flint rock is.

#2888580 - 07/28/12 10:29 AM Re: how many of you? [Re: Brisco Darlin]
eightpointer
14 Point

Loc: Birchwood, TN

Good info here.
#2893893 - 08/02/12 11:17 AM Re: how many of you? [Re: eightpointer]
GameKeeper
Spike

Loc: tenn

pretty interesting
Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  Taylor, RUGER, Bobby G, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
9 registered (BuckDropper, Paul Burns, Daniel n, Setterman, ridgewalker, Beekeeper, 1 invisible) and 63 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85432 Topics
1032290 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.27 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.