Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 14 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#2883220 - 07/23/12 08:03 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Headhunter]
SES
8 Point

Loc: Corryton, Tn

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
Setterman, so long they are not keeping over their limit, who cares. Complain to the TWRA, not about the "bait fishermen" (who are more than sporstmen than you are from your comments) who are legally fishing. Especially the stocker trout, from what I understand that is one of the main purposes of stocked trout.
The main purpose of stocker trout on the clinch now is to feed the rockfish.

#2883225 - 07/23/12 08:06 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Headhunter]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
Setterman, so long they are not keeping over their limit, who cares. Complain to the TWRA, not about the "bait fishermen" (who are more than sporstmen than you are from your comments) who are legally fishing. Especially the stocker trout, from what I understand that is one of the main purposes of stocked trout.

It's cultural with trout. Twra Coldwater folks laid the precedent that trout should be put and take even in waters which sustain trout year round and where temps supress prolific populations of other species. What should be viewed as a recreational fishery has been turned into a glorified grocery store where food stamps are sold annually. There are some of our tailwaters which have the potential to be the best trout waters in the east if managed properly. The slot limits are a good start but with no enforcement are a joke.

If every fisherman in this state went to the water with the mentalty of trout bait fishers than our fisheries would suffer and be far worse than they are now.

twra stocks all manners of species, should we just take the view that they shouldn't be released ever because they are stocked?

#2883283 - 07/23/12 08:49 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: shorefisherman]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: shorefisherman
 Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
IMO, Good points by both BowGirl and 7mm08.

BowGirl, would you feel differently if we were talking about Asian Carp invading our trout streams instead of Rockfish?

what the heck...you comparing rockfish with asian carp???? please....

Yes. Neither are welcome where they don't belong.

Originally Posted By: BowGirl
Now i have to take up for Wes here .. . . . \:D

Ole Wes most humbly appreciates. \:\)

#2883416 - 07/23/12 10:37 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Wes Parrish]
MidTennFisher
4 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I see this became a catch and release vs catch and cook debate. You conservationists really should chill out. I eat trout, and everytime I go to the Caney I have my stringer with hopes to fill it up. I'd much rather eat healthy, fresh fish than have to eat supermarket fish that was farmed in Chinese sewage ponds.

If you feel the need to release every trout you catch, fine. Do what makes you happy but as long as we're within the legal limits you have no right to criticize fisherman who keep fish to save money and feed themselves and their family with a nutritious meal.

I also will eat striped bass anytime I catch one. Which has only been once since I am very recently learning how to catch them. I keep white bass, largemouth bass, trout, whatever I want and I NEVER break the rules.

#2883496 - 07/23/12 11:52 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: MidTennFisher]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

only reason I decided not to keep much trout is because I don't like the taste much, compared to walleye, sauger, bream, etc. But stocker trout are there for eating it seems, you can catch em on corn and fill a stringer, not much sport in it imo and there are better fighting and better eating fish out there. If you want quality trout sport fishing then I hear the smokies are great (i intend to fish there some day)

...since last deer season

#2883505 - 07/23/12 12:02 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

They don't stock fingerling trout for a reason.
#2883629 - 07/23/12 02:10 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Hangnail]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: Hangnail
ah yeah fingerlings would be different.. .here I am used to winter stocked trout only. They get boring after a couple stringers full. \:D

...since last deer season

#2883632 - 07/23/12 02:16 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Hangnail]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

The big stripers have a very high mortality rate especially in warm or low 02 water. When hooked they fight very hard, so much so they build up lactic acid, which in turn ends up killing many of them within a few hours of being released. TWRA and TVA didnt install oxygenators and close all fishing on the lower end of some lakes during summer months for no reason!! You could almost walk on all the dead Stripers during the Summer in Cherokee lake before these precations were put in place several years ago. Its the uneducated rock fisherman who think they are doing no harm, as in ( oh my stripers swim away after I catch them) that are doing the most harm to the fish and their desired fishing thats ironic!
I personally dont kill any fish that im not going to eat, which consists of maybe twice a year at most, but have absolutely NO use for the Stripers and wouldnt miss them at all if they were gone tomorrow! Same with the Asian carp, which are fun to shoot however!!!

#2883638 - 07/23/12 02:19 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Winchester]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Winchester, what's the best way to prepare those Asian carp for the table?

I have an old coot recipe that might work pretty well. It's ideal for bowfin and gar.

#2883657 - 07/23/12 02:52 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Hangnail]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Originally Posted By: Hangnail

Ignorant post ^^^^^

The vast majority of rainbows stocked in the Clinch are fingerlings and same goes for the Watauga and South Holston. Terriblly uninformed view and may be the case in West TN but certainly not here.

We get a few "catchable" size fish, and they are terrible. They have no fins and are a poor excuse for a trout. What we primarily catch in these rivers are full finned river raised fish that were stocked as fingerlings and are very close to wild in terms of colors and condition.

As far as folks keeping fish, I could care less if someone wants to keep a few fish for supper. However, fishing numerous times a week and keeping a limit every time is more food than any family can eat, and is using the resource as a grocery store IMO.

If every bass fisherman went to the lake with the goal being a limit or 7 fish every trip than the bass fisheries would be in serious trouble. Most bass fisherman are C&R, and TWRA has implemented small limits to protect the fishery. The same cannot be said for trout, the culture at the state level is completely twisted when it comes to trout.

Edited by Setterman (07/23/12 02:58 PM)

Page 4 of 14 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Prowler, dungonehunting, uofmrebel, sll, 1shot 1kill
13219 Registered Users
Who's Online
9 registered (Doc Stone, alwaysoutdoors, lung-buster, F250, gun nut, Fearless) and 57 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13219 Members
42 Forums
91876 Topics
1073693 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.089 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.