Topic Options
#2880958 - 07/20/12 02:34 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: rukiddin?]
BowGirl
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: rukiddin?
 Originally Posted By: BowGirl
 Originally Posted By: rukiddin?

One more thing, if you catch and release stripers in the summer and early fall, then essentially, you are killing every fish you catch. Catching stripers in summer is basically a death sentence. Just because they swim off, does not mean they live. Even throughout the year, stripers still have a very high mortality rate after release.

I dont see that. I catch and release many stripers mainly in the summer months. With proper release of these fish and not too high water temp it can be achieved. Yes it is much more difficult but just because you catch a striper in summer doesnt mean it dies. I hear that alot, never seen it to be true.

Thats great if you think your fish live after release. A very small percentage actually may. But more than likely, just because they swim off, does not mean they live.

Can you provide data or links to support your claim? Thanks would like to see. Ive seen studies as high as 20% mortality in released striped bass but not anything close to what your talking about.

#2880981 - 07/20/12 02:54 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: rukiddin?]
bob
4 Point

Loc: tn

Quote:

One more thing, if you catch and release stripers in the summer and early fall, then essentially, you are killing every fish you catch. Catching stripers in summer is basically a death sentence. Just because they swim off, does not mean they live. Even throughout the year, stripers still have a very high mortality rate after release.

They have an even higher mortality rate when you keep them....

Edited by bob (07/20/12 02:55 PM)

#2880991 - 07/20/12 03:00 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: bob]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: bob
 Quote:

They have an even higher mortality rate when you keep them....
yeah I think they do but forgot what the percentage is. someone told me it's 100%.........not sure if I believe that or not

#2881186 - 07/20/12 06:06 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Isn't there a no fishing zone in the lower part of Cherokee Lake due to hybrids/stripers stacking up in the cooler water there? From what I remember reading, they were so easy to catch that people were catching their limits and continuing to fish, releasing them in 90 degree water after being exhausted. Mortality was high, TWRA closed fishing in the area.

I don't think releasing a striper in a tailwater where the water is cool to cold is a problem. If a trout can live in it, anything with scales can.

#2881425 - 07/20/12 09:57 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Hangnail]
shorefisherman
6 Point

Loc: West SSiiide Putnam Co.

for the original thread question, it is good for the tn economy...bunch of folks from up north and other states come down to fish for these brutes. its the special interest FLUFF CHUCKERS that complain.

trout and rockfish are both stocked....why argue, rockfish being more expensive to stock by twra.

#2881541 - 07/21/12 05:24 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

I love them in certain places and despise them in others. I think they fill an empty niche below the warmwater dams, and provide an excellent opportunity. I despise them in the coldwater tailwaters and in the smallmouth rivers. The latter is where I feel they all need to die.
#2881577 - 07/21/12 07:29 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville

Can't beat the fight of a rockfish- I like big fish but have no problem keeping one if I want to eat it. Big fish eat little fish, just the way it goes.
#2882895 - 07/22/12 08:34 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
7mm08
10 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

Let me ask one question to the guys that love to striper fish with live bait....do you use circle hooks or conventional hooks? If you DON'T use circle hooks you are just as guilty as I am wanting to kill every one of them in a trout stream. I have never killed one of the hundred or so I have caught over the years in the lakes, and have hooked them all in the lip. So don't tell me I can't kill a striper I catch in a trout stream when you live to "CROSS THEIR EYES". Your big hook sets hook them deep in the mediastinum (heart/esophagus/pulmonary vasculature) after they have swallowed the bait and swam around with it in them for a minute or so. You kill them just as much as I want to in a trout stream.

A study in 2003 evaluated �striper tubes�, devices used to keep fish alive during tournaments for weighing and release. They performed very well in cooler waters (spring, early summer) with 100% survival, at least after a 3 day short-term assessment swimming behavior. In warmer months survival was poor, registering a dismal 15%. Most fish that died did so very quickly, 75% within hours and 95% within 24 hours. This indicates death was due more to hooking injury or angling stress and not confinement stress. Deep hooking of conventional offset bait hooks was seen 17% of the time compared to 3% for offset circle hooks. However the mortality rated from deep hooking with regular bait hooks was 53%. Deep hooking with offset circle hooks demonstrated a mortality rate roughly half that of the bait hooks (23.5%). Regardless of water temperature and salinity, half of all deep hook stripers caught on conventional bait hooks died. Taken as a whole, whether deep hooked or not, 9% of stripers died when caught on conventional hooks vs. .8% (that�s less than 1%!) on circle hooks.
Conclusions: striper tubes work well in cooler months, however, hooking trauma and handling play more into a fish�s survival than confinement stress. Take care of our resource and be responsible. Handle as little as possible, take photos yak side, and avoid techniques that engender deep hooking. My $.03.

BTW....150,000 trout fishermen in TN @ $12$ per is $1,800,000
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/apr/24...ts/?partner=RSS

TN probably looses money on them as there is no "striper stamp". The majority of folks that make money off of stripers are the guides, not the state, and certain not the common man especially in East TN that can't eat them... KILL 'em ALL in a trout stream is still my motto.

Edited by 7mm08 (07/22/12 08:38 PM)

#2882950 - 07/22/12 09:05 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: 7mm08]
BowGirl
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: 7mm08

KILL 'em ALL in a trout stream is still my motto.

As an avid trout lover myself im embarrassed by your comments, fisherman are supposed to be sportsman. Killing stripe because of your trout agenda isn't what fishing is about. You wouldnt like it if i came down your trout river and killed every trout i caught. That's not right and selfish to think that way. Your giving trout fisherman like me a bad name and i dont appreciate it.

#2882975 - 07/22/12 09:23 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

IMO, Good points by both BowGirl and 7mm08.

BowGirl, would you feel differently if we were talking about Asian Carp invading our trout streams instead of Rockfish?

Page 2 of 14 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
65 registered (Split Brow, Master Chief, Crazyeye, bowhunterfanatic, Dale3, Crosshairy, 14 invisible) and 125 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85388 Topics
1031775 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.254 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.