Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 14 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2880706 - 07/20/12 09:53 AM Rockfish.... Good or Bad
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

They are fun to catch but I hear lots of people talking about how bad they are for our fisheries. I have heard some saying "Kill them all". And have seen them thrown up on the banks. Just curious of everyone's opinion on them.

#2880763 - 07/20/12 10:54 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: AllOutdoors]
BowGirl
6 Point

Rockfish are my favorite fish to catch. I would never kill one just because some idiot said they were bad. That's ridiculous behavior imo. Lots of $ goes to stocking these fish by professionals and i have no respect for anyone who kills a stripe, musky or any other fish for purposes that are just plain ridiculous. What a waste. My 2
#2880820 - 07/20/12 11:50 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

I also love catching rockfish. They are not bad for an ecosystem they are just verocious predators that will eat ANYTHING. I have seen commercial fisherman catch them with little catfish in their mouths. I'm not a marine biologist, but I'm sure that they wouldn't be stocked into river systems if they were harmfull. Anybody that kills them for nothing should have a hefty fine in my opinion.

#2880845 - 07/20/12 12:23 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: redheadshooter]
SES
8 Point

Loc: Corryton, Tn

I kill everyone I catch. Then I fillet it, cook it and eat it. I never fish for them, but I do catch one or two by accident every now and then
#2880891 - 07/20/12 01:21 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: SES]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

content Online
The problem with stripers is they are the same as common carp, asian/silver carp, bigheads, rainbow trout, brown trout, and all other exotics. They technically should not be in TN waters....Santee Cooper is the birthplace of landlocked stripers and pretty much where all landlocked stripers can trace their roots back to.

The problem arises when you have two different sets of anglers both investing a lot of time and money to chase the fish of their choosing, ie...trout fisherman vs. striper fisherman. Neither group will admit that both fish pretty much offer the same economic benefits outside of the smoky mtns. Rainbows are referred to as "striper candy" for a reason, they love'em and are perhaps a live 8" rainbow is the ultimate big striper bait. Another problem is when stripers end up in rivers they were not stocked in. I will not say which one but there is quite the debate on here about it.

Stripers have also been blamed for other gamefish decimation that is simply not the case, regardless of what any armchair biologists wants to think, although in the case of rainbows being eaten, stripers are guilty as charged, but then again, we are talking about two different exotic introduced fish species......so it really should'nt matter if one or both are completely removed from the ecosystem, but we all know money drives management so that will never happen!

One more thing, if you catch and release stripers in the summer and early fall, then essentially, you are killing every fish you catch. Catching stripers in summer is basically a death sentence. Just because they swim off, does not mean they live. Even throughout the year, stripers still have a very high mortality rate after release.

Edited by rukiddin? (07/20/12 01:25 PM)

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#2880894 - 07/20/12 01:23 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: SES]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

with all the diversity and numbers of fish on the cumberland, I don't see how the rockfish are hurting much. I hear building the dams did much worse to the ecosystem (spawning runs, etc). I have caught one rockfish down there so far and am hooked. Can't say anything bad about them

...since last deer season

#2880933 - 07/20/12 02:11 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: rukiddin?]
BowGirl
6 Point

Originally Posted By: rukiddin?

One more thing, if you catch and release stripers in the summer and early fall, then essentially, you are killing every fish you catch. Catching stripers in summer is basically a death sentence. Just because they swim off, does not mean they live. Even throughout the year, stripers still have a very high mortality rate after release.

I dont see that. I catch and release many stripers mainly in the summer months. With proper release of these fish and not too high water temp it can be achieved. Yes it is much more difficult but just because you catch a striper in summer doesnt mean it dies. I hear that alot, never seen it to be true.

#2880942 - 07/20/12 02:18 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: BowGirl

I dont see that. I catch and release many stripers mainly in the summer months. With proper release of these fish and not too high water temp it can be achieved. Yes it is much more difficult but just because you catch a striper in summer doesnt mean it dies. I hear that alot, never seen it to be true.
I bet my 5 1/2 lb'er survived, he was right by the dam in well oxygenated water, and young, so hope he becomes a big 40 sometime. I would be worried about a big one though because on 15 lb test I would have to wear him out good to get him to the boat. Might have to fillet one up, hope it tastes good.

...since last deer season

#2880953 - 07/20/12 02:31 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

content Online

Thats great if you think your fish live after release. A very small percentage actually may. But more than likely, just because they swim off, does not mean they live.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#2880955 - 07/20/12 02:33 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
BowGirl
6 Point

Originally Posted By: catman529

I bet my 5 1/2 lb'er survived, he was right by the dam in well oxygenated water, and young, so hope he becomes a big 40 sometime. I would be worried about a big one though because on 15 lb test I would have to wear him out good to get him to the boat. Might have to fillet one up, hope it tastes good.

I bet it survived too. Ive successfully released 30-40 lb fish by running the trolling motor while im handling or rocking the fish back and forth to get o2 flowing. A no no is to just throw it back in. It will more than likely die from my experience. You have to revive before you release on the big ones. My experience anyway. That and use only circle hooks for live bait.

Page 1 of 14 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
85 registered (Cumberlandriver, MarlinSlayer, Daniel n, DaveB, buckmaster31, Mr.Squirrel, 8 invisible) and 126 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93170 Topics
1088288 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.109 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.