Tndeer Logo

Page all of 14 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2880706 - 07/20/12 09:53 AM Rockfish.... Good or Bad
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

They are fun to catch but I hear lots of people talking about how bad they are for our fisheries. I have heard some saying "Kill them all". And have seen them thrown up on the banks. Just curious of everyone's opinion on them.

#2880763 - 07/20/12 10:54 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: AllOutdoors]
BowGirl
6 Point

Rockfish are my favorite fish to catch. I would never kill one just because some idiot said they were bad. That's ridiculous behavior imo. Lots of $ goes to stocking these fish by professionals and i have no respect for anyone who kills a stripe, musky or any other fish for purposes that are just plain ridiculous. What a waste. My 2
#2880820 - 07/20/12 11:50 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

I also love catching rockfish. They are not bad for an ecosystem they are just verocious predators that will eat ANYTHING. I have seen commercial fisherman catch them with little catfish in their mouths. I'm not a marine biologist, but I'm sure that they wouldn't be stocked into river systems if they were harmfull. Anybody that kills them for nothing should have a hefty fine in my opinion.

#2880845 - 07/20/12 12:23 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: redheadshooter]
SES
8 Point

Loc: Corryton, Tn

I kill everyone I catch. Then I fillet it, cook it and eat it. I never fish for them, but I do catch one or two by accident every now and then
#2880891 - 07/20/12 01:21 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: SES]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

The problem with stripers is they are the same as common carp, asian/silver carp, bigheads, rainbow trout, brown trout, and all other exotics. They technically should not be in TN waters....Santee Cooper is the birthplace of landlocked stripers and pretty much where all landlocked stripers can trace their roots back to.

The problem arises when you have two different sets of anglers both investing a lot of time and money to chase the fish of their choosing, ie...trout fisherman vs. striper fisherman. Neither group will admit that both fish pretty much offer the same economic benefits outside of the smoky mtns. Rainbows are referred to as "striper candy" for a reason, they love'em and are perhaps a live 8" rainbow is the ultimate big striper bait. Another problem is when stripers end up in rivers they were not stocked in. I will not say which one but there is quite the debate on here about it.

Stripers have also been blamed for other gamefish decimation that is simply not the case, regardless of what any armchair biologists wants to think, although in the case of rainbows being eaten, stripers are guilty as charged, but then again, we are talking about two different exotic introduced fish species......so it really should'nt matter if one or both are completely removed from the ecosystem, but we all know money drives management so that will never happen!

One more thing, if you catch and release stripers in the summer and early fall, then essentially, you are killing every fish you catch. Catching stripers in summer is basically a death sentence. Just because they swim off, does not mean they live. Even throughout the year, stripers still have a very high mortality rate after release.

Edited by rukiddin? (07/20/12 01:25 PM)

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#2880894 - 07/20/12 01:23 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: SES]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

with all the diversity and numbers of fish on the cumberland, I don't see how the rockfish are hurting much. I hear building the dams did much worse to the ecosystem (spawning runs, etc). I have caught one rockfish down there so far and am hooked. Can't say anything bad about them

#2880933 - 07/20/12 02:11 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: rukiddin?]
BowGirl
6 Point

Originally Posted By: rukiddin?

One more thing, if you catch and release stripers in the summer and early fall, then essentially, you are killing every fish you catch. Catching stripers in summer is basically a death sentence. Just because they swim off, does not mean they live. Even throughout the year, stripers still have a very high mortality rate after release.

I dont see that. I catch and release many stripers mainly in the summer months. With proper release of these fish and not too high water temp it can be achieved. Yes it is much more difficult but just because you catch a striper in summer doesnt mean it dies. I hear that alot, never seen it to be true.

#2880942 - 07/20/12 02:18 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BowGirl

I dont see that. I catch and release many stripers mainly in the summer months. With proper release of these fish and not too high water temp it can be achieved. Yes it is much more difficult but just because you catch a striper in summer doesnt mean it dies. I hear that alot, never seen it to be true.
I bet my 5 1/2 lb'er survived, he was right by the dam in well oxygenated water, and young, so hope he becomes a big 40 sometime. I would be worried about a big one though because on 15 lb test I would have to wear him out good to get him to the boat. Might have to fillet one up, hope it tastes good.

#2880953 - 07/20/12 02:31 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

Thats great if you think your fish live after release. A very small percentage actually may. But more than likely, just because they swim off, does not mean they live.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#2880955 - 07/20/12 02:33 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
BowGirl
6 Point

Originally Posted By: catman529

I bet my 5 1/2 lb'er survived, he was right by the dam in well oxygenated water, and young, so hope he becomes a big 40 sometime. I would be worried about a big one though because on 15 lb test I would have to wear him out good to get him to the boat. Might have to fillet one up, hope it tastes good.

I bet it survived too. Ive successfully released 30-40 lb fish by running the trolling motor while im handling or rocking the fish back and forth to get o2 flowing. A no no is to just throw it back in. It will more than likely die from my experience. You have to revive before you release on the big ones. My experience anyway. That and use only circle hooks for live bait.

#2880958 - 07/20/12 02:34 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: rukiddin?]
BowGirl
6 Point

Thats great if you think your fish live after release. A very small percentage actually may. But more than likely, just because they swim off, does not mean they live.

Can you provide data or links to support your claim? Thanks would like to see. Ive seen studies as high as 20% mortality in released striped bass but not anything close to what your talking about.

#2880981 - 07/20/12 02:54 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: rukiddin?]
bob
4 Point

Loc: tn

Quote:

They have an even higher mortality rate when you keep them....

Edited by bob (07/20/12 02:55 PM)

#2880991 - 07/20/12 03:00 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: bob]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: bob
 Quote:

They have an even higher mortality rate when you keep them....
yeah I think they do but forgot what the percentage is. someone told me it's 100%.........not sure if I believe that or not

#2881186 - 07/20/12 06:06 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
Hangnail
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Isn't there a no fishing zone in the lower part of Cherokee Lake due to hybrids/stripers stacking up in the cooler water there? From what I remember reading, they were so easy to catch that people were catching their limits and continuing to fish, releasing them in 90 degree water after being exhausted. Mortality was high, TWRA closed fishing in the area.

I don't think releasing a striper in a tailwater where the water is cool to cold is a problem. If a trout can live in it, anything with scales can.

#2881425 - 07/20/12 09:57 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Hangnail]
shorefisherman
6 Point

Loc: West SSiiide Putnam Co.

for the original thread question, it is good for the tn economy...bunch of folks from up north and other states come down to fish for these brutes. its the special interest FLUFF CHUCKERS that complain.

trout and rockfish are both stocked....why argue, rockfish being more expensive to stock by twra.

#2881541 - 07/21/12 05:24 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

I love them in certain places and despise them in others. I think they fill an empty niche below the warmwater dams, and provide an excellent opportunity. I despise them in the coldwater tailwaters and in the smallmouth rivers. The latter is where I feel they all need to die.
#2881577 - 07/21/12 07:29 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville

Can't beat the fight of a rockfish- I like big fish but have no problem keeping one if I want to eat it. Big fish eat little fish, just the way it goes.
#2882895 - 07/22/12 08:34 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
7mm08
12 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

Let me ask one question to the guys that love to striper fish with live bait....do you use circle hooks or conventional hooks? If you DON'T use circle hooks you are just as guilty as I am wanting to kill every one of them in a trout stream. I have never killed one of the hundred or so I have caught over the years in the lakes, and have hooked them all in the lip. So don't tell me I can't kill a striper I catch in a trout stream when you live to "CROSS THEIR EYES". Your big hook sets hook them deep in the mediastinum (heart/esophagus/pulmonary vasculature) after they have swallowed the bait and swam around with it in them for a minute or so. You kill them just as much as I want to in a trout stream.

A study in 2003 evaluated �striper tubes�, devices used to keep fish alive during tournaments for weighing and release. They performed very well in cooler waters (spring, early summer) with 100% survival, at least after a 3 day short-term assessment swimming behavior. In warmer months survival was poor, registering a dismal 15%. Most fish that died did so very quickly, 75% within hours and 95% within 24 hours. This indicates death was due more to hooking injury or angling stress and not confinement stress. Deep hooking of conventional offset bait hooks was seen 17% of the time compared to 3% for offset circle hooks. However the mortality rated from deep hooking with regular bait hooks was 53%. Deep hooking with offset circle hooks demonstrated a mortality rate roughly half that of the bait hooks (23.5%). Regardless of water temperature and salinity, half of all deep hook stripers caught on conventional bait hooks died. Taken as a whole, whether deep hooked or not, 9% of stripers died when caught on conventional hooks vs. .8% (that�s less than 1%!) on circle hooks.
Conclusions: striper tubes work well in cooler months, however, hooking trauma and handling play more into a fish�s survival than confinement stress. Take care of our resource and be responsible. Handle as little as possible, take photos yak side, and avoid techniques that engender deep hooking. My $.03.

BTW....150,000 trout fishermen in TN @ $12$ per is $1,800,000
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/apr/24...ts/?partner=RSS

TN probably looses money on them as there is no "striper stamp". The majority of folks that make money off of stripers are the guides, not the state, and certain not the common man especially in East TN that can't eat them... KILL 'em ALL in a trout stream is still my motto.

Edited by 7mm08 (07/22/12 08:38 PM)

#2882950 - 07/22/12 09:05 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: 7mm08]
BowGirl
6 Point

Originally Posted By: 7mm08

KILL 'em ALL in a trout stream is still my motto.

As an avid trout lover myself im embarrassed by your comments, fisherman are supposed to be sportsman. Killing stripe because of your trout agenda isn't what fishing is about. You wouldnt like it if i came down your trout river and killed every trout i caught. That's not right and selfish to think that way. Your giving trout fisherman like me a bad name and i dont appreciate it.

#2882975 - 07/22/12 09:23 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

IMO, Good points by both BowGirl and 7mm08.

BowGirl, would you feel differently if we were talking about Asian Carp invading our trout streams instead of Rockfish?

#2882991 - 07/22/12 09:34 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
Setterman
8 Point

As an avid trout lover myself im embarrassed by your comments, fisherman are supposed to be sportsman. Killing stripe because of your trout agenda isn't what fishing is about. You wouldnt like it if i came down your trout river and killed every trout i caught. That's not right and selfish to think that way. Your giving trout fisherman like me a bad name and i dont appreciate it.

I fished around a bunch of bait slingers on a trout stream yesterday and today who killed every fish they caught, and boasted about it as they did it. Saying if the limit was 100 they would kill 100.

The bait slinging trout crowd as a majority is probably the biggest group of game hogs I have ever been around.

In other words, you might be offended by 7mm's comments but rest assured he along with me and tons of others have witnessed the "sportsman" trout fisherman for decades. The word sportsman and most conventional trout fisherman shouldn't even be used in the same sentence.

#2882992 - 07/22/12 09:35 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Wes Parrish]
BowGirl
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish

BowGirl, would you feel differently if we were talking about Asian Carp invading our trout streams instead of Rockfish?

The way it is now yes i would, but if my fellow fisherman were getting enjoyment from catching asian carp, there where some avid asian carp fisherman around, then i would want them to be happy. Its not always about just me and what i want. Its important that we share and stick together as best we can.

#2883001 - 07/22/12 09:44 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
BowGirl
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Setterman

I fished around a bunch of bait slingers on a trout stream yesterday and today who killed every fish they caught, and boasted about it as they did it. Saying if the limit was 100 they would kill 100.

The bait slinging trout crowd as a majority is probably the biggest group of game hogs I have ever been around.

In other words, you might be offended by 7mm's comments but rest assured he along with me and tons of others have witnessed the "sportsman" trout fisherman for decades. The word sportsman and most conventional trout fisherman shouldn't even be used in the same sentence.
I havent witnessed that so forgive me if i dont understand. You guys may well have very good points.

#2883005 - 07/22/12 09:50 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
Hangnail
14 Point

Asian carp are going to be the scourge of freshwater rivers and lakes in this state before it's all said and done. They've been below Kentucky and Barkley dams for a while and I think I've read that they're below Pickwick now. They're gonna change a lot of things.
#2883006 - 07/22/12 09:50 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Wes Parrish]
shorefisherman
6 Point

what the heck...you comparing rockfish with asian carp???? please....

as with your trout streams, if you want a true trout experience go to the smokies where thers native trout, now if a 40 pound rock fish swam up to your native tout streams..then thers a problem....meanwhile tailwater is a man made enviroment, it is what it is...snap out of your fantasy land

#2883011 - 07/22/12 09:54 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: shorefisherman]
BowGirl
6 Point

Originally Posted By: shorefisherman

as with your trout streams, if you want a true trout experience go to the smokies where thers native trout, now if a 40 pound rock fish swam up to your native tout streams..then thers a problem....meanwhile tailwater is a man made enviroment, it is what it is...snap out of your fantasy land

Now i have to take up for Wes here. Ive learned more from him than just about anyone on here. Read his posts, he knows what he's talking about...most of the time. \:D

#2883016 - 07/22/12 09:58 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
Setterman
8 Point

I havent witnessed that so forgive me if i dont understand. You guys may well have very good points.

The majority, not all of course, but most of the bait fisherman on these trout streams are out for one purpose and one purpose only, that is to fill a stringer. There is no sport in their desires, and if they could dip them out of a tub they would. Having seen this group huddled around the boat ramp 5 minutes after the stocking truck leaves and whooping like savages with every fresh stocker that hits the stringer turns any sportsmans stomach.

Combine that with watching folks literally walk through the parking lot with a stringer of fish dragging on the pavement, really makes it a stretch to consider them even close to being sportsmen.

#2883107 - 07/23/12 03:22 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
Josiah
4 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN

Not sure where you are talking about, but in many of the areas stocked, especially warm water streams, the TWRA ENCOURAGES catching and keeping your limit. These fish will die when the water temperature rises. Even in some cold water streams like the Caney Fork, the rainbows are stocked for harvest. I do have a problem with people who poach, but I have no problem if you are catching and eating your limit of stocker rainbows.
#2883109 - 07/23/12 03:44 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Josiah]
SilverFox
12 Point

Loc: Kodak TN

If you're a trout fisherman on the Clinch you need to take every rock out you can. It takes a lot of fish to feed one 40 pound rockfish, much more to feed the numbers that are there.

Look at the shad numbers on Norris and Cherokee compared to Douglas. There's no comparison... And I believe it's due to the rockfish. Guides on Norris and Cherokee are now going to Douglas to catch baitfish where there are no rockfish.

#2883167 - 07/23/12 06:56 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: SilverFox]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Setterman, so long they are not keeping over their limit, who cares. Complain to the TWRA, not about the "bait fishermen" (who are more than sporstmen than you are from your comments) who are legally fishing. Especially the stocker trout, from what I understand that is one of the main purposes of stocked trout.

#2883220 - 07/23/12 08:03 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Headhunter]
SES
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
Setterman, so long they are not keeping over their limit, who cares. Complain to the TWRA, not about the "bait fishermen" (who are more than sporstmen than you are from your comments) who are legally fishing. Especially the stocker trout, from what I understand that is one of the main purposes of stocked trout.
The main purpose of stocker trout on the clinch now is to feed the rockfish.

#2883225 - 07/23/12 08:06 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Headhunter]
Setterman
8 Point

It's cultural with trout. Twra Coldwater folks laid the precedent that trout should be put and take even in waters which sustain trout year round and where temps supress prolific populations of other species. What should be viewed as a recreational fishery has been turned into a glorified grocery store where food stamps are sold annually. There are some of our tailwaters which have the potential to be the best trout waters in the east if managed properly. The slot limits are a good start but with no enforcement are a joke.

If every fisherman in this state went to the water with the mentalty of trout bait fishers than our fisheries would suffer and be far worse than they are now.

twra stocks all manners of species, should we just take the view that they shouldn't be released ever because they are stocked?

#2883283 - 07/23/12 08:49 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: shorefisherman]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Yes. Neither are welcome where they don't belong.

Now i have to take up for Wes here .. . . . \:D

Ole Wes most humbly appreciates. \:\)

#2883416 - 07/23/12 10:37 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Wes Parrish]
MidTennFisher
4 Point

I see this became a catch and release vs catch and cook debate. You conservationists really should chill out. I eat trout, and everytime I go to the Caney I have my stringer with hopes to fill it up. I'd much rather eat healthy, fresh fish than have to eat supermarket fish that was farmed in Chinese sewage ponds.

If you feel the need to release every trout you catch, fine. Do what makes you happy but as long as we're within the legal limits you have no right to criticize fisherman who keep fish to save money and feed themselves and their family with a nutritious meal.

I also will eat striped bass anytime I catch one. Which has only been once since I am very recently learning how to catch them. I keep white bass, largemouth bass, trout, whatever I want and I NEVER break the rules.

#2883496 - 07/23/12 11:52 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: MidTennFisher]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

only reason I decided not to keep much trout is because I don't like the taste much, compared to walleye, sauger, bream, etc. But stocker trout are there for eating it seems, you can catch em on corn and fill a stringer, not much sport in it imo and there are better fighting and better eating fish out there. If you want quality trout sport fishing then I hear the smokies are great (i intend to fish there some day)

#2883505 - 07/23/12 12:02 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
Hangnail
14 Point

They don't stock fingerling trout for a reason.
#2883629 - 07/23/12 02:10 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Hangnail]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Hangnail
ah yeah fingerlings would be different.. .here I am used to winter stocked trout only. They get boring after a couple stringers full. \:D

#2883632 - 07/23/12 02:16 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Hangnail]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

The big stripers have a very high mortality rate especially in warm or low 02 water. When hooked they fight very hard, so much so they build up lactic acid, which in turn ends up killing many of them within a few hours of being released. TWRA and TVA didnt install oxygenators and close all fishing on the lower end of some lakes during summer months for no reason!! You could almost walk on all the dead Stripers during the Summer in Cherokee lake before these precations were put in place several years ago. Its the uneducated rock fisherman who think they are doing no harm, as in ( oh my stripers swim away after I catch them) that are doing the most harm to the fish and their desired fishing thats ironic!
I personally dont kill any fish that im not going to eat, which consists of maybe twice a year at most, but have absolutely NO use for the Stripers and wouldnt miss them at all if they were gone tomorrow! Same with the Asian carp, which are fun to shoot however!!!

#2883638 - 07/23/12 02:19 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Winchester]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Winchester, what's the best way to prepare those Asian carp for the table?

I have an old coot recipe that might work pretty well. It's ideal for bowfin and gar.

#2883657 - 07/23/12 02:52 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Hangnail]
Setterman
8 Point

Ignorant post ^^^^^

The vast majority of rainbows stocked in the Clinch are fingerlings and same goes for the Watauga and South Holston. Terriblly uninformed view and may be the case in West TN but certainly not here.

We get a few "catchable" size fish, and they are terrible. They have no fins and are a poor excuse for a trout. What we primarily catch in these rivers are full finned river raised fish that were stocked as fingerlings and are very close to wild in terms of colors and condition.

As far as folks keeping fish, I could care less if someone wants to keep a few fish for supper. However, fishing numerous times a week and keeping a limit every time is more food than any family can eat, and is using the resource as a grocery store IMO.

If every bass fisherman went to the lake with the goal being a limit or 7 fish every trip than the bass fisheries would be in serious trouble. Most bass fisherman are C&R, and TWRA has implemented small limits to protect the fishery. The same cannot be said for trout, the culture at the state level is completely twisted when it comes to trout.

Edited by Setterman (07/23/12 02:58 PM)

#2883679 - 07/23/12 03:28 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
MidTennFisher
4 Point

Well of course I agree that people who kill fish they don't really intend to eat are a problem. Same with deer hunting. There are guys who kill a dozen deer a year and that's overkill (no pun intended).

I'm moving back to Cookeville soon and plan on eating the crap out of some Caney Fork trout. I'll never take more than I need and I'll never break any rules but I have a mouth to feed (my own). It's cheaper and significantly healthier to eat than grocery store fish (most of which comes from China and is unsafe to eat) and I'm a college student who needs to do what is necessary to eat healthy and stick to a budget. If a guy who is going through tough financial times and has 4 children needs to keep a dozen trout a week, nobody has the right to get on his case for it. He's within the legal limit.

You should be more concerned with the immigrants using casting nets from the shore keeping all sorts of undersized fish by the cooler load. The TWRA does almost nothing about it. I've seen it and called a few times, they never show up. I'll go on speculation here, they probably don't have fishing licenses either so not only are they taking away our resource, they're not funding TWRA to restock what they've taken. THAT makes me angry. I've also seen them keeping undersized trout out of the Caney on more than one occurence.

#2883692 - 07/23/12 03:40 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: SilverFox]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Originally Posted By: SilverFox
If you're a trout fisherman on the Clinch you need to take every rock out you can.

Using this logic you may want to consider taking out every big trout you can also.

#2883719 - 07/23/12 04:15 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: bigluresonly]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

All I want to know is how to cook a carp.
#2883724 - 07/23/12 04:20 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: bigluresonly]
Dbllunger
12 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: bigluresonly
If you're a trout fisherman on the Clinch you need to take every rock out you can.

Using this logic you may want to consider taking out every big trout you can also.

Im with you big lures

#2883736 - 07/23/12 04:31 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Dbllunger]
Dbllunger
12 Point

As some of you may know from my pics and posts, I love the Rockfish.....most I let go and some I keep. The mortality rate on the ones I keep is right around 100%. The ones I let go, well who knows? Hopefully most make it....they are being released in cold clear water and I think that has to help. I know they at least have a chance that way. Im glad the trout are there to feed my precious rockfish. It is a renewable rescource......I know the TWRA will restock them periodically so you River Runs Thru It fellows can get your fill of them and my rockfish can get their fill as well

Can't we all just get along?

Before the trout guys and gals bash me, I was a fly fisherman for many, many years on Tennessee tailwaters (Elk and Caney) and I know how much fun it is. I can sling a size 22 midge with the best of them....just not really my thing anymore....maybe later in life I'll get back to it when I'm too old and feeble to haul in 40 pound rockfish.

Edited by Dbllunger (07/23/12 04:32 PM)

#2883757 - 07/23/12 04:51 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Dbllunger]
MidTennFisher
4 Point

We can all get along! It's just that the holier than thou attitude of some catch and release fisherman is really annoying. Other than that, I'm glad to finally have become a member of this forum. I've been reading it for months and tried to get an account 4 times. 4th time is the charm I guess. For some reason the others never got approved. I look forward to sharing and gaining tips from you all. Especially on striper fishing. I'm new to it and have only gone twice, it's difficult to do without a boat. I've caught one, a few pounds maybe, but that didn't near satisfy my thirst. I want a 10+ pounder on my light tackle!

#2883766 - 07/23/12 04:56 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Dbllunger]
Hangnail
14 Point

Setterman, you constantly want to pick a fight, don't you? My post was not made out of ignorance, but by what I've seen. I've never seen anyone stock fingerlings in the Clinch, but that was thirty years ago. I've also found out that both put-n-takes and fingerlings are stocked. I don't know how long that has been going on, so you're at least as ignorant as me, per your remark. Once again, you can take your condecension and your attitude and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

I can remember your pitiful shots at TWRA in the past. Are you employed by them yet as was suggested, or are you still chapped because you know more about what they do than they do and you can't get them to listen to your bloviations?

#2884024 - 07/23/12 09:16 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Dbllunger]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Dbllunger

Im with you big lures

Big trout certainly eat their fair share of smaller trout, however they have a much wider array of food as well. When we did stomach samples in 40 Brown trout greater than 10 lbs in the Clinch we found that they did feed on trout, but trout only made up about 30% of their diet. The other 70% was comprised of sculpins, crayfish, and log perch.

#2884032 - 07/23/12 09:22 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Hangnail]
Setterman
8 Point

Setterman, you constantly want to pick a fight, don't you? My post was not made out of ignorance, but by what I've seen. I've never seen anyone stock fingerlings in the Clinch, but that was thirty years ago. I've also found out that both put-n-takes and fingerlings are stocked. I don't know how long that has been going on, so you're at least as ignorant as me, per your remark. Once again, you can take your condecension and your attitude and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

I can remember your pitiful shots at TWRA in the past. Are you employed by them yet as was suggested, or are you still chapped because you know more about what they do than they do and you can't get them to listen to your bloviations?

Why on earth would I take a 100k or more pay cut to work for a govt agency? That would be the dumbest idea I could imagine.

TWRA has been stocking fingerlings in the Clinch since the late 80's, according the TVA fisheries folks. Maybe a TWRA person could provide the actual date. I can remember coming up and fishing the Clinch during the early 90's when I still lived in Miss and there were fingerling stocks there then. You claim earlier there are no fingerling stockings, and someone had to call your bluff on that horribly false statement.

You want to weigh in on these discussions but have virtually no idea what you are talking about. You reference the Clinch and it's issues, yet haven't been there in 30 years, leaving any local person to seriously question your motives.

If you don't want me to highlight how uninformed you are then stay away from subjects you have no knowledge of.

#2884053 - 07/23/12 09:54 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
Hangnail
14 Point

Yeah, you've hidden behind the wage issue before, but that never stops you from denegrating TWRA. I get it.

Well, hell's be to trout. I guess I've been out of the trout world for too long. Doesn't seem that long ago. I'll live.

Oh, and thanks for being somewhat civil in your rebut. I know it was painful.

#2884154 - 07/23/12 11:53 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Im with you big lures

Big trout certainly eat their fair share of smaller trout, however they have a much wider array of food as well. When we did stomach samples in 40 Brown trout greater than 10 lbs in the Clinch we found that they did feed on trout, but trout only made up about 30% of their diet. The other 70% was comprised of sculpins, crayfish, and log perch.
what were the stomach samples of rockfish greater than 10 lbs like?

#2884175 - 07/24/12 03:50 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
Setterman
8 Point

Im with you big lures

what were the stomach samples of rockfish greater than 10 lbs like?

All trout.

#2884185 - 07/24/12 05:02 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
SilverFox
12 Point

Loc: Kodak TN

I spent 35 years in SC. Most of it fishing Santee Cooper and other area lakes. I've seen the stomach content of many strippers. I also fished the Clinch when I moved here to north Knoxville. I've seen the stomach contents from several rockfish there as a older guy I met there fished for them from peach orchard landing and the jailhouse. Trout was all I saw. His bait for rockfish was 100% trout that he caught from the clinch.

#2884239 - 07/24/12 07:06 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: SilverFox]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I know for the most part in areas that have NO trout, even then a trout colored bait is great for stripers.

#2884409 - 07/24/12 09:50 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Headhunter]
SES
8 Point

I fish the Clinch at least two times a week. Restrictions have been placed on the fisherman that keeps us from harvesting any trout from 14"-20". It is a trophy fishery as well as a put and take. The rockfish have no slot limit they go by. They eat whatever. I'm sure a lot of the slot limit size fish go down the throat of the rockfish. That is my only concern with seeing so many rockfish in the river where I have never seen them before. I keep my fair share of fish on occasion, but I don't care about catching numbers, I want to catch big fish. The rockfish, in my opinion, is hurting the future of the Clinch as a trophy trout fishery.
#2884487 - 07/24/12 11:10 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Wes Parrish]
Winchester
Non-Typical

I have an old coot recipe that might work pretty well. It's ideal for bowfin and gar.

No idea Wes, but im sure someone here can help you out! ;\)

#2884512 - 07/24/12 11:26 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Winchester]
SES
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Winchester

I saw in the new issue of Outdoor Life that they are selling Asian Carp in fish stick form somewhere in Illinois. Mmmm.

#2885143 - 07/24/12 10:04 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: SES]
Bigg'un4214
10 Point

Loc: east tn

At one time the striper fishermen in Santee were blaming the decrease in stripers on flatheads. I've heard fisherman x claim that stripers eat fish x and are the reason he can't catch fish x. Truth is if a bigger fish is hungry and a smaller fish is present it will be eaten. Way back when Tn G&F tagged trout in Dale Hollow. My neighbor caught a walleye with 18 trout tags in its gut. In Calif. trout are a preferred bait for largemouth. Trout is a soft rayed fish just like shad and shiners therefore it is a preferred forage fish as compared to bluegill, etc. Similar to deer preferring acorns to hickory nuts.

#2885153 - 07/24/12 10:27 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Bigg'un4214]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Bigg'un4214
Trout is a soft rayed fish just like shad and shiners therefore it is a preferred forage fish as compared to bluegill, etc. Similar to deer preferring acorns to hickory nuts.

Hum. Learn something new every day.

Does that mean shad tastes just like chickin trout?
May have to cooks me up some shad.

#2885477 - 07/25/12 09:56 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Wes Parrish]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Bigg'un4214
Trout is a soft rayed fish just like shad and shiners therefore it is a preferred forage fish as compared to bluegill, etc. Similar to deer preferring acorns to hickory nuts.

Hum. Learn something new every day.

Does that mean shad tastes just like chickin trout?
May have to cooks me up some shad.
you can deep fry the shad in itself, enough grease there to fry a couple. Just bread and throw in empty fryer....

#2885508 - 07/25/12 10:30 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
Setterman
8 Point

Having eatenshadr I would suggest another choice
#2885526 - 07/25/12 10:49 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

\:D what kind of shad was it you ate? how would you describe it?

#2885538 - 07/25/12 10:57 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
Winchester
Non-Typical

I used to know of an Asian family that actually 'canned' shad and ate it year round!
#2885561 - 07/25/12 11:16 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
Setterman
8 Point

Ate part of a gizzard shad, raw. Horrible idea and alcohol to blame.

Ate a river herring that was smoked. Terrible flavor and unbelievably boney.

Ate some pickled threadfins that someone brought me, and it was tolerable but anything pickled is edible. Huge colon cleansing afterwards ensured it won't happen again

#2885600 - 07/25/12 11:54 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Ate some pickled threadfins that someone brought me, and it was tolerable but anything pickled is edible. Huge colon cleansing afterwards ensured it won't happen again
yeah I will pass on those if I am ever offered any... what other interesting aquatic species have you eaten?

#2885671 - 07/25/12 01:20 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
Hangnail
14 Point

I was gutting gizzard shad below Percy Priest a number of years ago and this Asian dude freaked out that I wasn't saving anything but the guts. He fished in the trash cans until he found a couple of ice bags and proceded to fill them up with "cleaned" shad. God bless him.
#2885683 - 07/25/12 01:42 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Winchester]
StalkingWolf
8 Point

Loc: Dyersburg, TN, USA

You can't beat the ole coot recipe. What type wood do you prefer for basting the coot on? \:D

#2885719 - 07/25/12 02:26 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
Setterman
8 Point

yeah I will pass on those if I am ever offered any... what other interesting aquatic species have you eaten?

A bunch of stuff. Gar, Bowfin, Carp, Buffalo, and Paddlefish come to mind. Paddlefish was excellent, and if I had to choose a nice firm meat they would be at the top.

#2885778 - 07/25/12 03:14 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: StalkingWolf]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: StalkingWolf

You can't beat the ole coot recipe. What type wood do you prefer for basting the coot on? \:D

Have usually used green cypress, but simply because of it's abundance in coot country.

You all's got me thinking about some new recipes now.
How about a Rockfish patay to go with those Carp Sticks?

Mix in large bowl:

8 oz Crushed Rockfish Livers (must be freshly caught, not frozen)
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Fresh Garlic (finely chopped)
1 Tablespoon Diced Onion
1 Small Chopped Tomato
1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce (Optional)

Best served chilled

#2885851 - 07/25/12 04:14 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

A bunch of stuff. Gar, Bowfin, Carp, Buffalo, and Paddlefish come to mind. Paddlefish was excellent, and if I had to choose a nice firm meat they would be at the top.
Paddlefish are on my bucket list. How do carp and buffalo taste - I may get too curious one day and fillet one up. I know they are bony but how is the taste and texture?

#2885870 - 07/25/12 04:43 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
Setterman
8 Point

Paddlefish are on my bucket list. How do carp and buffalo taste - I may get too curious one day and fillet one up. I know they are bony but how is the taste and texture?

Carp are excellent, just remove the mud line. Buffalo are sold, served, and commercially caught. We all have eaten them and they are good.

#2885934 - 07/25/12 05:38 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

I knew buffs are huge commercially but don't know where they are sold to. Where is the mud line in a carp?

#2885953 - 07/25/12 05:56 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

I knew buffs are huge commercially but don't know where they are sold to.

Ever eaten a McDonald's fish sandwich? \:D

#2885990 - 07/25/12 06:50 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

I knew buffs are huge commercially but don't know where they are sold to. Where is the mud line in a carp?

#2886063 - 07/25/12 08:15 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
trealtree
16 Point

Carp are excellent, just remove the mud line. Buffalo are sold, served, and commercially caught. We all have eaten them and they are good.

Yum!

#2886208 - 07/25/12 10:18 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: trealtree]
shorefisherman
6 Point

man..never knew they had meat like that.. how they taste?

#2887002 - 07/26/12 05:30 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: shorefisherman]
Bigg'un4214
10 Point

Loc: east tn

Carp can be ground with pork fat, seasoned and it makes pretty good sausage. We made a bunch at UT for a wild game dinner and it went fast. One of the local pizza places even made carp sausage pizza.

#2887015 - 07/26/12 05:49 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: shorefisherman]
trealtree
16 Point

I baked it, and I literally gagged and almost barfed...no joke. Obviously it needs to be ground or something that I did not do.. \:\)

I tried

#2887134 - 07/26/12 08:19 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: AllOutdoors]
shorefisherman
6 Point

thats all you had to say....trash fish for a reason \:D

#2887320 - 07/26/12 10:44 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: shorefisherman]
Hangnail
14 Point

The only way I'm eating a carp or buffalo is with a gun pointed at my head. If it isn't a gamefish or catfish, I see no reason to eat it.
#2887689 - 07/27/12 11:13 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: 7mm08]
oldmanelrod
6 Point

Loc: TN/AL state line

Let me ask one question to the guys that love to striper fish with live bait....do you use circle hooks or conventional hooks? If you DON'T use circle hooks you are just as guilty as I am wanting to kill every one of them in a trout stream. I have never killed one of the hundred or so I have caught over the years in the lakes, and have hooked them all in the lip. So don't tell me I can't kill a striper I catch in a trout stream when you live to "CROSS THEIR EYES". Your big hook sets hook them deep in the mediastinum (heart/esophagus/pulmonary vasculature) after they have swallowed the bait and swam around with it in them for a minute or so. You kill them just as much as I want to in a trout stream.

A study in 2003 evaluated �striper tubes�, devices used to keep fish alive during tournaments for weighing and release. They performed very well in cooler waters (spring, early summer) with 100% survival, at least after a 3 day short-term assessment swimming behavior. In warmer months survival was poor, registering a dismal 15%. Most fish that died did so very quickly, 75% within hours and 95% within 24 hours. This indicates death was due more to hooking injury or angling stress and not confinement stress. Deep hooking of conventional offset bait hooks was seen 17% of the time compared to 3% for offset circle hooks. However the mortality rated from deep hooking with regular bait hooks was 53%. Deep hooking with offset circle hooks demonstrated a mortality rate roughly half that of the bait hooks (23.5%). Regardless of water temperature and salinity, half of all deep hook stripers caught on conventional bait hooks died. Taken as a whole, whether deep hooked or not, 9% of stripers died when caught on conventional hooks vs. .8% (that�s less than 1%!) on circle hooks.
Conclusions: striper tubes work well in cooler months, however, hooking trauma and handling play more into a fish�s survival than confinement stress. Take care of our resource and be responsible. Handle as little as possible, take photos yak side, and avoid techniques that engender deep hooking. My $.03.

BTW....150,000 trout fishermen in TN @ $12$ per is $1,800,000
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/apr/24...ts/?partner=RSS

TN probably looses money on them as there is no "striper stamp". The majority of folks that make money off of stripers are the guides, not the state, and certain not the common man especially in East TN that can't eat them... KILL 'em ALL in a trout stream is still my motto.

Thanks for stats. Well stated suported and point of view!

#2887723 - 07/27/12 11:29 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: shorefisherman]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Hopefully will never be hungry enough tofind out

You wont know,if you dont go!

#2888317 - 07/27/12 11:38 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Football Hunter]
AllOutdoors
10 Point

I have enjoyed the debate . I was just wandering what everyone else thought about them. I do target them at times and find them fun to catch......but..... have noticed one thing over the years of the areas I fish. If the rockfish are there, the smallmouth are not. Kind of depressing when Im after smallies. With that being said, I have never intentionally killed a rockfish. I know they have a high mortality rate as I have seen them dead in a popular area. At times this area stinks with dead rockfish. These are fish that are caught and released in and near a coldwater spring. As far as eating the trash fish...well more power to ya. ;\)

#2888344 - 07/28/12 12:14 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: AllOutdoors]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: AllOutdoors
I have enjoyed the debate . I was just wandering what everyone else thought about them. I do target them at times and find them fun to catch......but..... have noticed one thing over the years of the areas I fish. If the rockfish are there, the smallmouth are not. Kind of depressing when Im after smallies. With that being said, I have never intentionally killed a rockfish. I know they have a high mortality rate as I have seen them dead in a popular area. At times this area stinks with dead rockfish. These are fish that are caught and released in and near a coldwater spring. As far as eating the trash fish...well more power to ya. ;\)
I have seen smallmouth where there are rockfish... not many, but they are there. Plenty of creeks and smaller rivers to fish for smallies where rockfish don't live.

And as for carp.... they are one of the most sought after fish worldwide, except for the USA it seems, and if so many people eat them then I may have to give it a try someday.

#2888640 - 07/28/12 11:51 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Plenty of creeks and smaller rivers to fish for smallies where rockfish don't live.

Now.
But the rockfish seem to be a pretty adaptable fish, expanding territory, kinda like those Asian carp?

#2888727 - 07/28/12 01:47 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Wes Parrish]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Plenty of creeks and smaller rivers to fish for smallies where rockfish don't live.

Now.
But the rockfish seem to be a pretty adaptable fish, expanding territory, kinda like those Asian carp?
I wouldn't compare em to silver or bighead carp.... they dont seem to be that invasive, and I doubt they would do well in some of the smaller creeks I fish for smallmouth. Even the Duck river which I hear has stripers, doesn't have stripers farther upstream and has excellent smallmouth fishing (from what I hear). I have fished the duck but not enough to tell you personally what the smallmouth fishing is like.

#2888805 - 07/28/12 03:48 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
7mm08
12 Point

As a trout fisherman for over 30 years that "catches and releases" more than my allowed limit everytime I go I am allowed I think to want to kill a striper or two caught in a trout stream. I can assure you a 30# striper kills more trout in a week than I have in 30 years. I can kill what I want as long as it's legal. You personally don't understand the destruction I have seen on a tailwater when these coyotes move in. Coyotes, stripers. All the same, predators. Kill them. Other ones will come up the river in search of food.

I personally fish a private section of river on the Clinch that three years ago FULL of slot size fish. Since the stripers have been reported, the fishing has drastically changed as far as catch numbers and size of fish. Same amount of boat traffic through on generators etc.

BTW. You should realize fishing like hunting is a blood sport. What's not sporting about going out of my comfort zone on a trout stream and striper fishing in a river, a contained area to speak of, and pursueing a fish with a fly, landing it, and then doing with it as I see legally fit. What's not sporting about that?

IF your embarassed, get over it. I got over seeing "fishermen" on the Clinch keeping slot fish, keeping over their limits, buddy fishing(one guy catches 10, the other 4, and they "limit" out)! These are probably true sportmen in your eyes? I will take a life of a misplaced predator anyday of the week when I am lucky enough to catch one in a river maintained for trout.

Edited by 7mm08 (07/28/12 04:01 PM)

#2888819 - 07/28/12 03:57 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Headhunter]
7mm08
12 Point

I know for the most part in areas that have NO trout, even then a trout colored bait is great for stripers.

Agreed. My go to striper fly that changed from casting for stripers to CATCHING stripers on a flyrod! Found out the bait guys were using them so...when in Rome.

#2888839 - 07/28/12 04:26 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: 7mm08]
S.vitreum
Spike

I personally fish a private section of river on the Clinch

I grew up fishing the Clinch long before there ever was a Weir Dam. However, I never knew there was a private section of river. I used to walk down the railroad tracks long before daylight and be dragging a limit of big trout away- below offutt shoals just above the strawberry farm- as the flyfisherman arrived. I just smiled when I was told in 1984 that I was in THEIR water and those fish should have been released. However, they were smarter than me- they parked by the river and I had a mile walk down and a mile walk back up the rr tracks carrying waders, rod, and about 7-10 # of trout \:\) . Nowdays, trout bore me. I guess a thousand limits over time will do that. I only go up there now to walleye fish. However, if my neighbors want a mess of trout, we'll keep them whatever is legal.

You fellows crack me up.

#2888860 - 07/28/12 04:58 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Now.
I wouldn't compare em to silver or bighead carp.... they dont seem to be that invasive, and I doubt they would do well in some of the smaller creeks I fish for smallmouth. Even the Duck river which I hear has stripers, doesn't have stripers farther upstream and has excellent smallmouth fishing (from what I hear). I have fished the duck but not enough to tell you personally what the smallmouth fishing is like.

Duck river does have excellent smallmouth fishing. But as the water temps rise, there are usually a few areas they like to use because of cooler, more oxygenated water. The rockfish like these areas as well. When they show up....the smallies are gone. Especially the bigger ones. Every now and then you can catch a few smaller smallmouth, but you better get them in quick! They make an easy meal for a big rock. How far upstream on the Duck are you talking where there are no rockfish? I have friends that fish in Columbia and catch them regular. Im not familiar with the river in that area.

#2888909 - 07/28/12 06:03 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: AllOutdoors]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Don't keep the trout, don't hold the trout like that, don't let the slime of the trout touch your hands, don't touch the gill plate on a trout, don't use a boga on trout, you probably killed the trout taking a pic, don't fight the trout to long, don't release the trout without reviving it----

All of this crap I have heard on this board from trout huggers unlimited-

The last trout i caught i dropped- I didn't want it to hit it's head on the boat bottom and die so I acted fast and kicked it into the water. The trout wiggled a couple times and was about to swim off when a rockfish blew up the surface and devoured it-
I then casted and caught the rockfish- AWESOME day of fishing- that's what my trout stamp is for------

#2888938 - 07/28/12 06:45 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: bigluresonly]
Hangnail
14 Point

Sounds like a great day bigluresonly! There isn't much more fun fishing than watching a 30+ pounder come from nowhere and blow up a bait in shallow water.
#2889025 - 07/28/12 09:01 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: bigluresonly]
Setterman
8 Point

Don't keep the trout, don't hold the trout like that, don't let the slime of the trout touch your hands, don't touch the gill plate on a trout, don't use a boga on trout, you probably killed the trout taking a pic, don't fight the trout to long, don't release the trout without reviving it----

All of this crap I have heard on this board from trout huggers unlimited-

The last trout i caught i dropped- I didn't want it to hit it's head on the boat bottom and die so I acted fast and kicked it into the water. The trout wiggled a couple times and was about to swim off when a rockfish blew up the surface and devoured it-
I then casted and caught the rockfish- AWESOME day of fishing- that's what my trout stamp is for------

WHile you are whining, I will interject I went to the Clinch today killed a limit of trout, used them to catch a limit of stripers which I also killed.

How about that for being a trout hugger, hugged them just long enough to spill a stripers guts on the boat ramp.

There were b/w 14-16 dead stripers bodies on the ramp when we came in from other trout huggers like me. We are slaughtering the stripers the past few weeks and it feels great.

Kill em all.

#2889036 - 07/28/12 09:13 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
Hangnail
14 Point

Did those 14-16 dead bodies have their limit in them too?
#2889039 - 07/28/12 09:14 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Hangnail]
Setterman
8 Point

Did those 14-16 dead bodies have their limit in them too?

I hope this makes sense to you...

#2889043 - 07/28/12 09:20 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: AllOutdoors]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Now.

Duck river does have excellent smallmouth fishing. But as the water temps rise, there are usually a few areas they like to use because of cooler, more oxygenated water. The rockfish like these areas as well. When they show up....the smallies are gone. Especially the bigger ones. Every now and then you can catch a few smaller smallmouth, but you better get them in quick! They make an easy meal for a big rock. How far upstream on the Duck are you talking where there are no rockfish? I have friends that fish in Columbia and catch them regular. Im not familiar with the river in that area.
If I saw a Rock fish eat a smallmouth,Id CHOOTEM! \:\) What a waste,let them eat carp.

#2889176 - 07/29/12 12:23 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: AllOutdoors]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Now.

I am mainly familiar with parts of the duck upstream from columbia. But I did visit the dam in columbia for the first time a few days ago and thought about there being rockfish below the spillway. Are there enough to fish there for a day and have good chances of catching one or two?

Oh and as for smallmouth - they don't completely disappear, I have seen small ones and heard of one or two giants caught below old hickory dam, and also have caught a 2.5# smallmouth trolling a short distance below the dam, where stripers are plenty. I go to the cumberland for stripers, catfish and carp though. If I want to smallmouth fish I head to the creeks (and hope to fish dale hollow again when the water is cooler).

#2889178 - 07/29/12 12:27 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Football Hunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter

Now.

If I saw a Rock fish eat a smallmouth,Id CHOOTEM! \:\) What a waste,let them eat carp.
stripers would love a small carp, soft fins and all, but you know carp outgrow and outfight smallmouth pretty easily, so they wouldn't be food for too long...... ha

#2889343 - 07/29/12 10:10 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
Hangnail
14 Point

Yep. It makes perfect sense to me. Your attitude toward stripers in the Clinch ,as you say, is sickening. That's just the way it is.
#2889393 - 07/29/12 11:08 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Now.

I am mainly familiar with parts of the duck upstream from columbia. But I did visit the dam in columbia for the first time a few days ago and thought about there being rockfish below the spillway. Are there enough to fish there for a day and have good chances of catching one or two?

Oh and as for smallmouth - they don't completely disappear,
I have seen small ones and heard of one or two giants caught below old hickory dam, and also have caught a 2.5# smallmouth trolling a short distance below the dam, where stripers are plenty. I go to the cumberland for stripers, catfish and carp though. If I want to smallmouth fish I head to the creeks (and hope to fish dale hollow again when the water is cooler).

Maybe not below Old Hickory Dam. This is no where near the places Im talking about. These are very small areas of preferred water on Duck that I am talking about. When 40-50 rockfish 10-20lbs come in and take up residence, there is no room left for other fish! They simply sit there and consume everything that comes down the pipe. Their feeding sprees are quite impressive!
While they are fun to catch, be glad they haven't taken over some of your areas you fish.

Edited by AllOutdoors (07/29/12 11:19 AM)

#2889659 - 07/29/12 05:46 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Hangnail]
Setterman
8 Point

Yep. It makes perfect sense to me. Your attitude toward stripers in the Clinch ,as you say, is sickening. That's just the way it is.

You have proven you are clueless with the situation facing the Clinch, and any comments made are nonsensical.

#2889771 - 07/29/12 07:45 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
bob
4 Point

This thread is an embarrassment to our sport. I only hope our future generations of ethical anglers aren't reading this stupidity.
#2890007 - 07/29/12 10:44 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: bob]
Hangnail
14 Point

Maybe so, there Setterman, but I know a sportsman when I read one. Like it or not, the Clinch is an artificial trout fishery as is its striper fishery. Get over yourself and if you want to fish for trout that aren't bait, head to the mountains.
#2890080 - 07/30/12 06:11 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Hangnail]
Setterman
8 Point

Maybe so, there Setterman, but I know a sportsman when I read one. Like it or not, the Clinch is an artificial trout fishery as is its striper fishery. Get over yourself and if you want to fish for trout that aren't bait, head to the mountains.

One after another, you truly need to do some research or talk to some folks that fish in East TN. The trout in the Holston below Cherokee live with little pressure from stripers, the trout in the South Holston aren't under assault from stripers, and the trout in the Watauga also live without stripers feeding on them.

Have you ever fished anywhere in east TN or do you just like to act like you know what goes on over here?

Since you hate the trout so bad in the Clinch what species would you rather inhabit that resource?

#2890184 - 07/30/12 08:18 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
Hangnail
14 Point

You make a vary valid point. There are other places to fish for trout that are unmolested. You choose to fish one that has stripers that eat your trout and happily kill every striper you catch (your words). Nice example you set. You can go ahead and say anything you want at this point. It's clear to me that you're gonna do what you think is best for you, everyone else be danged.
#2890548 - 07/30/12 01:30 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Hangnail]
Setterman
8 Point

You make a vary valid point. There are other places to fish for trout that are unmolested. You choose to fish one that has stripers that eat your trout and happily kill every striper you catch (your words). Nice example you set. You can go ahead and say anything you want at this point. It's clear to me that you're gonna do what you think is best for you, everyone else be danged.

First they are not my trout, they belong to everyone who purchases a trout stamp in this state.

It isn't about what is best for me, it is about what is best for the resource. Since you obviously don't know this, I will make it simple. The Clinch below Norris has an avg yearly temperature of 48 degrees, that water temp limits trout to being the only fish that can thrive. If you remove the trout, than the only thing which is left is a couple of bass, some carp, buffalo, and that's it. The Stripers would leave because they are out of food, and the rednecks would have to find another fishery to use as a grocery store.

The Stripers would be fine if they stayed 20 miles downstream at the Steamplant where they are stocked, or were stocked. In fact, I fish for them down there and don't kill any. However, when they pour up river than the food source they have is a popular game fish, and that is where I have an issue with them.

If this was smallmouth being hammered I would have the same opinion. It is not just trout that I wish to protect from their wrath, as I would and do slaughter them when they appear in smallmouth exclusive rivers.

In the smallmouth rivers they truly are a non-native trash fish, which is no different IMO than the silver carp and might as well be left as racoon food on the bank.

#2890595 - 07/30/12 02:23 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
MidTennFisher
4 Point

They're still going to get restocked by TWRA and are still going to eat trout. All you're accomplishing by killing them just to get them out of the river is making yourself look very inconsiderate to fishermen who like to catch them for the sport, or for dinner.

The whole "using the fishery as a grocery store" is a pretty ignorant comment. As long as they stay within legal limits when they fish, you have no authority to judge someone for harvesting fish of any species.

#2890597 - 07/30/12 02:23 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

In the smallmouth rivers they truly are a non-native trash fish, which is no different IMO than the silver carp and might as well be left as racoon food on the bank.
no such thing as a trash fish IMO. Even silver carp which should be killed on sight aren't trash, just another invasive fish. What is "trash" about a fish anyway?

#2890643 - 07/30/12 03:04 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
BDavis
Button

Loc: Knoxville

I find this misinformation so amusing, that I had to sign up for this forum. I didn't read every post but I will chime in on a few items.

There are huge stripers on the Holston below Cherokee, go see for yourself.

Stripers and smallmouth can exist together, see Norris, Cherokee, French Broand, Melton Hill and Holston Rivers, Watts Bar, etc.

Stripers aren't stocked at the steamplant. Dumb statment. They are brood fish released at the hatchery by TWRA and they plan on putting more in every year.

Below 61 bridge the slot limit for stripers is 32-42 inches and only one can be harvested over 42.

No matter how many you kill, they are going to be put back into the system. I support TWRA and will call for more fish to be put in if guys like yourself keep bragging about killing them.

I think if behavior like this continues there needs to be more regulations to protect the stripers. They are a game fish whether you like it or not with a huge following and alot of guys enjoy fishing for them.

I'd hate to see you get a big fine and a write up in the paper over killing fish, but if I see that activity with 200 yards of my boat I have a really expensive camera that takes sharp photos and videos and will report it in a hearbeat.

I think you should just fish alittle harder instead of spending so much time on the computer getting all worked up over trout.

#2890945 - 07/30/12 09:07 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BowGirl]
TeamMainStreet
10 Point

Loc: Union County,Tn

Heck if i made over 100k a year id move out west and buy my own trout stream to fish in that didnt have stripers in it. And who exactly are you to call somebody out as being a redneck for catching a limit of fish to put in the freezer. Some of us may prefer it that way. I can see your veiws on fishing are not too far from your veiws on turkey hunting. All hail the Hook!!

Dont tread on me

#2890992 - 07/30/12 09:40 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BDavis]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: BDavis
I find this misinformation so amusing, that I had to sign up for this forum. I didn't read every post but I will chime in on a few items.

There are huge stripers on the Holston below Cherokee, go see for yourself.

Stripers and smallmouth can exist together, see Norris, Cherokee, French Broand, Melton Hill and Holston Rivers, Watts Bar, etc.

Stripers aren't stocked at the steamplant. Dumb statment. They are brood fish released at the hatchery by TWRA and they plan on putting more in every year.

Below 61 bridge the slot limit for stripers is 32-42 inches and only one can be harvested over 42.

No matter how many you kill, they are going to be put back into the system. I support TWRA and will call for more fish to be put in if guys like yourself keep bragging about killing them.

I think if behavior like this continues there needs to be more regulations to protect the stripers. They are a game fish whether you like it or not with a huge following and alot of guys enjoy fishing for them.

I'd hate to see you get a big fine and a write up in the paper over killing fish, but if I see that activity with 200 yards of my boat I have a really expensive camera that takes sharp photos and videos and will report it in a hearbeat.

I think you should just fish alittle harder instead of spending so much time on the computer getting all worked up over trout.

Want to talk about misinformation?

How about having a little knowledge before weighing in?

According to TWRA and the very easy to find Melton Hill info page you will notice upon reading that there is no intentional stocking done on Melton Hill, period. You can also look at past data which shows ZERO stockings other than musky in that reservoir.
http://www.tnfish.org/ReservoirLakeInformation_TWRA/TWRA_MeltonHillReservoirInformation.htm

Stripers which live where there are good populations of shad IMO are not an issue to other game fish. Sure they eat a few, but probably not enough to have much impact on the fishery. I have been pretty clear that I do like stripers as a species, and think they are fine in most places, however in a handful their numbers need to be kept in check. One of those IMO is the Clinch below Norris. And without consistent stockings they can be beat back to a point where their impact is minimal.

Save your BS empty threats as well, you have no clue who you aim those at, and have no idea where or who I am spending time with on the river. I am glad you have a great camera, so do I and it is filled with images of dead stripers from the past few weeks, most which exceed 42" I am guessing.

#2891137 - 07/31/12 05:49 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
BDavis
Button

I would like to see all those pics because I think you are full of it. Go ask Mike Smith, the hatchery manager at Eagle Bend and he will tell you they put those fish in the river. They stock them on purpose. You opinion really shouldnt matter and if you are killing more than your limit, I will forward that information on to TWRA. Lets see those pics. I bet you don't have any. I doubt you catch much of anything, thats why you are bitter.
#2891367 - 07/31/12 10:17 AM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BDavis]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Funny

#2891642 - 07/31/12 01:49 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BDavis]
Setterman
8 Point

I would like to see all those pics because I think you are full of it. Go ask Mike Smith, the hatchery manager at Eagle Bend and he will tell you they put those fish in the river. They stock them on purpose. You opinion really shouldnt matter and if you are killing more than your limit, I will forward that information on to TWRA. Lets see those pics. I bet you don't have any. I doubt you catch much of anything, thats why you are bitter.

I know Mike, always call him Stump as do most, and know exactly how many or few fish have ended up in the river from Eagle Bend. The number isn't enough to sustain a fishery that is losing more daily due to harvest than are going in annually, that is the bottom line.

I will make this easy for you, please feel free to send scn (tndeer username) a private message, and tell him that I poaching. I am sure he will find humor in it, and provide him a much needed chuckle during his workday. He is fairly familiar with TWRA regs and might have some interest in poaching cases

Anything else to provide? BTW, there are plenty of pics on here that I have posted over the years. I will happily post some more when I get back in front of a computer, to demonstrate how deadly serious I am.

#2891680 - 07/31/12 02:20 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
BDavis
Button

I honestly don't think you are doing much of anything besides trying to piss off people. I think you're just an old bitter has been that gets off by pissing people off. I have talked to people like yourself and they always are terrible fishermen, always looking for attention any way they can get it. Keep hiding behind that keyboard, thats all you got. I'm going fishing.

Billy Davis

#2891684 - 07/31/12 02:24 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BDavis]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

By the way, welcome to the site B Davis. \:D Setterman is pretty knowledgeable and I'm sure he's a good fisherman, and he's definitely a very good turkey hunter, but he has an extreme tendency to start fights with people on the forum, so just get used to it.

#2891688 - 07/31/12 02:28 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
BDavis
Button

he just sounds like a jealous bitter old man to me.
#2891694 - 07/31/12 02:34 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BDavis]
Winchester
Non-Typical

He's not an old man, but desperately needs a lesson on not being a smartarse!
#2891702 - 07/31/12 02:40 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BDavis]
Setterman
8 Point

I honestly don't think you are doing much of anything besides trying to piss off people. I think you're just an old bitter has been that gets off by pissing people off. I have talked to people like yourself and they always are terrible fishermen, always looking for attention any way they can get it. Keep hiding behind that keyboard, thats all you got. I'm going fishing.

Billy Davis

Haha!!!

I didn't know 37 was old, guess I learn something new every day.

If I was trying to piss you off I would be much more direct and personal in my responses. Seems I called your bluff when you claimed I was posting misinformation and you got your feelings hurt. That's your fault for bringing a knife to a gun fight.

The folks on here who know me personally, would laugh at you assuming I am a terrible fisherman. In fact, I can't think of anything further from reality. I am sure there are many who are better, but let's just say I know my way around a river as well as any. Send 7mm08 a private message and ask his opinion.

Hiding behind a keyboard, that is another classic. You can find me on the river about 3 days a week. I drive a Black F250 King Ranch Crew Cab and am well known by most that fish the Clinch or any of the rivers in East TN. Most would say I am a pretty amiable chap, and easy to get along with, however opinionated on a handful of topics. One of which is Stripers in certain fisheries, and how they should be dealt with.

Enjoy, and wishing you luck in your pursuit of me and my supposed poaching activities.

#2891703 - 07/31/12 02:40 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Winchester]
BDavis
Button

Just begging for attention huh, sounds like he lost his balls or his pride to a striper oneday while out on the Clinch. I enjoy chasing stripers on the Clinch and I hate hearing this trout Nazi bragging about poaching. I get enough of that from the guys that want to kill all of the muskies on Melton Hill. We have trophy fisheries here whether some guys like it or not. Rainbow trout are not native to the Clinch, why should they take precedent over stripers?
#2891707 - 07/31/12 02:42 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BDavis]
BDavis
Button

you just come across as an old hag, pretty funny if you think about it.
#2891713 - 07/31/12 02:46 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BDavis]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Yeah there's one thing I was wondering about... most of the trout are no more native than the stripers are they? Isn't the brook trout the only native species to Tennessee? Why are the trout so important anyway... they are nice fish but I like to fish for something that could potentially be 40 pounds and makes me fear that my reel is going to be spooled. I'm not talking down the trout fishermen, just the trout snobs. Setter I know you fish for other species and are not a trout snob but why are you starting such mean arguments? When you said you were opinionated I think that should be rephrased to "extremely opinionated with a tendency to start fights over opinions".

#2891715 - 07/31/12 02:47 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BDavis]
BDavis
Button

I fish alot of waters around east TN and have never heard of the great Setterman.
#2891743 - 07/31/12 03:08 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: catman529]
Setterman
8 Point

Yeah there's one thing I was wondering about... most of the trout are no more native than the stripers are they? Isn't the brook trout the only native species to Tennessee? Why are the trout so important anyway... they are nice fish but I like to fish for something that could potentially be 40 pounds and makes me fear that my reel is going to be spooled. I'm not talking down the trout fishermen, just the trout snobs. Setter I know you fish for other species and are not a trout snob but why are you starting such mean arguments? When you said you were opinionated I think that should be rephrased to "extremely opinionated with a tendency to start fights over opinions".

As I have said before and now again, I really like Stripers and stated just a few weeks ago that I felt they were the strongest fish in a thread you started. I do not appreciate their presence in a few locales, and their numbers are manageable enough to be knocked back with a little pressure.

I am certainly no trout snob, I do fish for trout, but also spend a ton of time chasing river smallmouth, carp, crappie, and anything else that is around. In a perfect world, I wish the tailwater below Norris was warm or the way it was before the dam was built and was a great smallmout river like the headwaters.

I have strong opinions, and will back them up with a stubborness that a mule would envy.

#2891756 - 07/31/12 03:19 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
BDavis
Button

your opinions don't outweigh the law and if you kill more than your creel limit you are a poacher, and why am I arguing with a poacher?
#2891769 - 07/31/12 03:28 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

As I have said before and now again, I really like Stripers and stated just a few weeks ago that I felt they were the strongest fish in a thread you started. I do not appreciate their presence in a few locales, and their numbers are manageable enough to be knocked back with a little pressure.

I am certainly no trout snob, I do fish for trout, but also spend a ton of time chasing river smallmouth, carp, crappie, and anything else that is around. In a perfect world, I wish the tailwater below Norris was warm or the way it was before the dam was built and was a great smallmout river like the headwaters.

I have strong opinions, and will back them up with a stubborness that a mule would envy.
If you are ever fishing around middle TN give me a holler.... particularly creek fishing for smallmouth or carp, or river fishing for rockfish, or catfishing. I bet fishing with you would be better than bickering on a forum.

#2891776 - 07/31/12 03:36 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BDavis]
7mm08
12 Point

Billy Davis

I wouldn't bet against Setterman in a fishing contest.

#2891784 - 07/31/12 03:44 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: S.vitreum]
7mm08
12 Point

Originally Posted By: S.vitreum
I personally fish a private section of river on the Clinch

I grew up fishing the Clinch long before there ever was a Weir Dam. However, I never knew there was a private section of river. I used to walk down the railroad tracks long before daylight and be dragging a limit of big trout away- below offutt shoals just above the strawberry farm- as the flyfisherman arrived. I just smiled when I was told in 1984 that I was in THEIR water and those fish should have been released. However, they were smarter than me- they parked by the river and I had a mile walk down and a mile walk back up the rr tracks carrying waders, rod, and about 7-10 # of trout \:\) . Nowdays, trout bore me. I guess a thousand limits over time will do that. I only go up there now to walleye fish. However, if my neighbors want a mess of trout, we'll keep them whatever is legal.

You fellows crack me up.

You are correct, there is no private section of water on the Clinch. I meant there is no public access on this section other than by boat.

Keep all the legal fish you want. I personally don't care how you fish. That's what makes me killing a legal striper THAT IS IN A TROUT STREAM a moot point. It's your right to kill what is legal as well as mine.

Good fishing.

Edited by 7mm08 (07/31/12 03:51 PM)

#2891791 - 07/31/12 03:53 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BDavis]
AllOutdoors
10 Point

your opinions don't outweigh the law and if you kill more than your creel limit you are a poacher, and why am I arguing with a poacher?

Why suggest someone is a poacher? I haven't read where Setterman has suggested anything over a limit of rockfish. Maybe I missed it.

#2891802 - 07/31/12 04:00 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: AllOutdoors]
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Sunday evening I fished the Duck and Buffalo river. In a very narrow area on Buffalo I hooked 3 smallies. 1 was killed by rockfish. 1 was knocked off my hook. I managed to land one with a slew of rockfish in chase.

#2891818 - 07/31/12 04:09 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: AllOutdoors]
7mm08
12 Point

Here is the real pathetic part of this whole arguement. You guys want to take Setterman and I out and kick our butts because we would support killing a few stripers in a river managed and paid by fishermen for trout.....However, NOT ONE of you would pass up a chance to kill a coyote 24/7/365 because they kill deer. Documented, up to 30% of a deer herd at any one given year is killed off by coyotes. KILL 'em ALL I have seen written on this board for years about coyotes, (subject lines started and cheered on by the masses, me included) but kill one or two stripers in a trout stream? Blasphemy! Their the same, one is land and one is water. Invasive species killing managed species. You and I paid for the deer herd to be MANAGED in TN, as do trout fishermen pay for the trout steams to be managed. $1,800,000 to be exact. How much is a striper stamp?

And again to a previous post. If you fish with conventional hooks with bait for stripers you KILL more fish than I do on a trout stream. Put your money where your mouth is and fish only with circle hooks to protect your beloved stripers. Get the laws changed if you want to protect your species, or just harp on a couple of buggy whippers that hate stripers in trout streams like coyotes on a deer lease.

Edited by 7mm08 (07/31/12 04:23 PM)

#2891822 - 07/31/12 04:11 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
S.vitreum
Spike

I wish Norris was warm or the way it was before the dam was built and was a great smallmouth river like the headwaters.

What makes one fishery in peril and one in great shape with respect to Striped Bass? Plenty of world class Striped Bass in the upper Clinch and Powell rivers (especially the Powell) - and yet the smallmouth fishery in the headwaters is "great".

???

#2891906 - 07/31/12 05:11 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: AllOutdoors]
bob
4 Point

Them Smallmouth are eating all my perch.
#2891931 - 07/31/12 05:44 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: bob]
7mm08
12 Point

and the turkeys are killing my grouse! Good one!

#2891941 - 07/31/12 05:51 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: bob]
AllOutdoors
10 Point

I just switched baits to a large swimbait and caught the rockfish. They pull hard in the current!

#2892163 - 07/31/12 08:32 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: S.vitreum]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: S.vitreum
I wish Norris was warm or the way it was before the dam was built and was a great smallmouth river like the headwaters.

What makes one fishery in peril and one in great shape with respect to Striped Bass? Plenty of world class Striped Bass in the upper Clinch and Powell rivers (especially the Powell) - and yet the smallmouth fishery in the headwaters is "great".

???

I assume you are referring to the reservoir sections of the Clinch/Powell, because after roughly 100 days on both I have seen one striper and it was downstream of a huge shad school.

In the lake there are enough shad to spread out the damage and cause no significant impact to the fishery IMO.

If you go back and actually retread my comments you will see I have very little issues when stripers inhabit waterways with good shad populations to feed their massive appetites.

7 mm I 100% agree with your post above, and am glad you chimed in with the perfect response to the striper protectors. What folks don't realize about you is that you fish for stripers as much as trout in other places and to my knowledge never kill them in those places. Just the same as me.

#2892171 - 07/31/12 08:34 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BDavis]
Setterman
8 Point

Who is a poacher?

Again you make absurd claims which must make sense to you because they don't to anyone else including the TWRA officers on this forum.

Simple thought from a simple person I guess is the only explanation.

#2892212 - 07/31/12 08:52 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: Setterman]
BDavis
Button

call me simple, I'd rather be simple than a(I had to edit this after reading the rules of the site). What it comes down to is too many ignorant people killing off one heck of a fishery. Heck lets just kill everything that swims or moves. What will we have then to do? Fishermen have just about wiped out the musky population on Melton Hill over the last few years because all those muskies eat all the crappie. When they pile up at the steamplant, lots of people go in there and wipe them out with trout on a balloon. Over the last 7 years you went from seeing a good number of muskies on a given day to barely seeing any at all. And nobody wants to do anything about it but let the fishery crumble because the TWRA doesnt want to upset any group of fishermen. The reason I get upset is that these trophy fish aren't in big numbers on the Clinch, but I still enjoy chasing them the rest of the year when they are down in the lake. If you kill them all then I won't have much to fish for the rest of the year and that makes me alittle sick. Those fish help keep the gizzard shad population in check on Melton Hill. Those stripers seek refuge up on the Clinch when the bottom half of the lake gets too warm. If you want to keep a few fish thats fine but to get online and brag about spilling guts isn't too cool. To kill a fish just because you despise them makes you a poacher in my book and I have no respect for that stupidity.
#2892252 - 07/31/12 09:13 PM Re: Rockfish.... Good or Bad [Re: BDavis]
TeamTndeer Administrator
Advertising & Marketing VP
4 Point

Sorry Folks but this thread is done.
Page all of 14 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (jakebird, ETNyates, hayden01, Rifle06) and 52 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.019 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.