Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
#2771648 - 02/29/12 07:36 PM Re: deer farming vote postponed [Re: ballfan]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

Originally Posted By: ballfan
Beekeeper: You stated, Until there is a live animal test that is 99% + accurate the danger from CWD is a very real issue.

A dot blot ELISA test for CWD, developed by VMRD, Inc., was licensed for CWD testing.

United States Department of Agriculture licensed a CWD dot plot (ELISA) test developed by VMRD, Inc. The test analyzes retropharyngeal lymph node samples and has a turnaround time of approximately 24 hours.

What info I can find on this test doesn't state that it is 99%+ accurate. The cost I found looks to be about $500. per test. Most of the info is from 2003 and this causes me to wonder, if this test is so good why doesn't it have more recent info?

Originally Posted By: ballfan

Did the Elk released test 99% free?

You didnít answer my question about the percent of Elk vs Deer. What percent Elk have tested positive vs deer. How many Deer farms exists vs Elk farms?

Thatís my point! As a whole, the threat that Elk carrying the disease vs Deer having or carrying it far exceeds that of Deer. Yet the TWRA found Elk suitable or up to their standards. Quote: All elk brought into Tennessee for release go through strict disease testing prior to release. This testing is much more thorough than that required for bringing captive elk into Tennessee. Also, the elk brought into Tennessee will come from areas where health surveillance has been ongoing for several years with no history of significant disease. All of these precautions will greatly minimize the risk of any diseases being introduced into the state.

At the time the elk were being brought into TN the full dangers of CWD were not understood. As the dangers of CWD became more apparent the importation of elk was stopped.

One more question for you. Would the folks that want to deer farm be willing to be responsible for all cost associated with CWD testing and the cost of the measures needed to control it if it were to, in spite of all efforts to prevent it, appear in TN? Since we do not have it in our state now the only way it could get here would be from the imported animals used in Deer Farming.

#2823742 - 05/07/12 09:34 PM Re: deer farming vote postponed [Re: Beekeeper]
muzzyman71
6 Point

Loc: Anderson Co

Bee Keeper and Diehard Hunter, thank you guys for working so dilligently on this. At a meet n greet it was a pleasure to talk to you guys.

#2840709 - 05/30/12 10:23 AM Re: deer farming vote postponed [Re: Cold Creek Mafia]
BowGirl
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Good deal
#2871676 - 07/10/12 10:55 PM Re: deer farming vote postponed [Re: JCDEERMAN]
monique06
Button

Loc: USA

Sounds really Great!

#2910093 - 08/16/12 03:25 PM Re: deer farming vote postponed [Re: monique06]
nodog
4 Point

Loc: Ohio

From what I've observed, farming wild animals isn't good and I'd be against any attempt at doing it.

#2951295 - 09/21/12 07:56 AM Re: deer farming vote postponed [Re: nodog]
Yeppers
4 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I'm agin it...

#2978552 - 10/12/12 09:24 AM Re: deer farming vote postponed [Re: Yeppers]
Doskil
6 Point

Loc: NC USA

"Since we do not have it in our state now the only way it could get here would be from the imported animals used in Deer Farming."

How did it show up then in wild deer in West Virginia miles from any other CWD case?

#3074053 - 12/11/12 10:09 AM Re: deer farming vote postponed [Re: ]
contendershooter
4 Point

Loc: TN, USA

the deer farming issue is a two way street...overall from the aerial view, I am against it because there is too much room for deer to be brought in from another state to get the private property owners herd up, which could introduce disease, because that would be the simple way of doing things. But as stated I agree that if a farmer owns property, (which with all of the taxes, do we ever REALLY own anything?) then if they want to farm deer, why not? Maybe it should be done on a trial basis and highly monitored and if it doesn't seem productive, then can the idea.

And on the wild hog issue, if I am not mistaken, they were taken off as game and basically listed as nuisance animals correct? According to page 31 of the 2012-2013 hunting guide you can kill them year around...what is the problem with this and if people are wanting to kill hogs, this is more liberal rules than having them governed by a season, no?

#3105342 - 01/01/13 11:35 PM Re: deer farming vote postponed [Re: ]
Monty
6 Point

Loc: Bedford Co.

Originally Posted By: youngandfree
CWD is akin to the big bird and swine flu scare. It made a lot of scientists rich, and sent a lot of Federal $$ to colleges and research institutions all over the country.

Create a crisis, and milk it for all it is worth.

Please, research the costs to taxpayers to try to clean up CWD infected captive & wild w-t deer herds. The operators bear NO liability for what has cost taxpayers million$. EHD is cyclic - CWD is not.

#3105347 - 01/01/13 11:50 PM Re: deer farming vote postponed [Re: contendershooter]
Monty
6 Point

Loc: Bedford Co.

Originally Posted By: contendershooter
...if they want to farm deer, why not? Maybe it should be done on a trial basis and highly monitored and if it doesn't seem productive, then can the idea.

The "why not" answer is w-t deer are illegal for an individual to own in Tennessee - we still honor the public trust doctrine that has been a hallmark of our Nation's wildlife management programs for generations. Another reason is the captive w-t deer are raised almost exclusively for genetic "enhancement" to improve their "trophy" status. Most often hand fed in small enclosures and shot (not hunted) in these pens - sometimes drugged to make it easier on the high-paying shooter.

And on the wild hog issue, if I am not mistaken, they were taken off as game and basically listed as nuisance animals correct? According to page 31 of the 2012-2013 hunting guide you can kill them year around...what is the problem with this and if people are wanting to kill hogs, this is more liberal rules than having them governed by a season, no?

Dead on right. Evidence indicated that some hog hunters were responsible for expanding the populations into other areas of the State. These non-contiguous pockets of hogs were found far enough away from other hogs to pretty well negate the possibility of natural migration. And, yes, the regs are more liberal.

Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
111 registered (choupique, WGK, bowtch huntr209, bowhunter163, JWW4, peleejosh, 12 invisible) and 163 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93296 Topics
1089335 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.108 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.