Topic Options
#285915 - 07/02/07 03:57 PM Re: Measures of QDM "success" [Re: David J]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: David J
Wes,

You are getting off BSK's subject!
I disagree, as I believe the countywide deer regs have a great bearing on the success or failure of small-property QDM.

Either Sex regs do nothing to alter the buck harvest. The hunter that wants to shoot any buck will do so weather he shoots a doe or not.
If you believe that, there's a bridge on I-40 I'd like to sell you. Of course a hunter willing to shoot any buck will not change his buck standards, but many of them would shoot a doe first and then call it, not only a day, but a season.

Look at the doe kills in unit L last year. A few hunters are going to shoot does with a rifle. Most won't.
Maybe because most hunters afield (even in Unit L) who actually killed a buck did not have a doe tag?

Originally Posted By: TOW
In Indiana we have a general firearms tag that is buck only.
In order to kill an antlerless deer one must purcase a "bonus tag". That is $24 for the first one and $15 for each tag there after.

We have tried , unsuccessfully so far, to get the IDNR to make that general firearm tag an either sex.
Tow, that's almost exactly how it is in Tennessee.

We have tried , unsuccessfully so far, to get the IDNR to make that general firearm tag an either sex. That way when it comes down to the end of the season of that hunter he might just pop a doe instead of that small buck.
Or often just the beginning or the end of the day .

We hear the "I took a forkie on the last weekend just for meat" way too often.
Exactly

#285928 - 07/02/07 04:24 PM Re: Measures of QDM "success" [Re: 156p&y]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Then again we have bucks that I'll spot and scout in late August and most of the time video them for future use. Some of those bucks will vanish when they shed their velvet. Whether they are leaving or just simply going nocturnal from their testosterone change I haven't figured out...

A lot of times those bucks will materialize once or twice during the peak of the chase phase.

I've seen that pattern before. They shift ranges at antler velvet shedding just far enough to take them off the property, yet during the rut, their range expands just far enough to bring them back onto the property during peak breeding.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#285931 - 07/02/07 04:28 PM Re: Measures of QDM "success" [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

...as I believe the countywide deer regs have a great bearing on the success or failure of small-property QDM.

I absolutely agree with that. I firmly believe the changes in state regulations (especially the lower buck limit) has had a HUGE impact in my area. Even my cousins' 300 acres down the road, that they don't have the time to manage anywhere near as intensivley as I manage my own land, is seeing much improved buck age structure. They have the opprtunity (and do) kill a couple of older bucks each year. That wasn't the case before the lower buck limits.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#286013 - 07/02/07 06:02 PM Re: Measures of QDM "success" [Re: BSK]
JWW4
8 Point

Loc: Signal Mtn, TN

content Online
While the topic of different states and their varing laws is being discussed. Seeing as how deer don't know about or observe state lines has a study ever been done on the deer in tennessee that may share ranges say in TN/KY and how they differ from deer in TN/GA or TN/MS ranges?

My Training Journal
http://www.gymwhisman.blogspot.com/

Like my farm on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mt-Top-Sheep-Farm/379848202142838

#286019 - 07/02/07 06:05 PM Re: Measures of QDM "success" [Re: Wes Parrish]
David J
Non-Typical

Loc: Harrison,Tn USA

Wes,

I'm not going to hijack BSK's thread. I'll argugue with you on another thread.

#286195 - 07/02/07 08:10 PM Re: Measures of QDM "success" [Re: David J]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Loc: Bradyville, TN USA

BSK,.... the radio collared deer information you are talking about,.... is the study information consist of land that is properly managed for habitat, sacuaries,food plots, and how much land is involved in the study??

Based on that study alone,... that information would be critical when your talking how to measure success from a QDM project on small properties. Seems if the study was conducted on land that did not have sancuaries, dense habitat for cover and food, and food plots that the study may reveal different results.

#286350 - 07/02/07 09:40 PM Re: Measures of QDM "success" [Re: David J]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Wes,

I'm not going to hijack BSK's thread. I'll argugue with you on another thread.
I agree we shouldn't get sidetracked on this thread talking about the finer points of statewide deer management. My purpose was just to make a point that the statewide regs do have a great effect on the potential results of QDM on smaller properties.

But when you start that other thread, you may be arguing as much with BSK as with me . . . . .
 Originally Posted By: BSK
...as I believe the countywide deer regs have a great bearing on the success or failure of small-property QDM.
I absolutely agree with that.

#286596 - 07/03/07 01:25 AM Re: Measures of QDM "success" [Re: Wes Parrish]
Whitehorse
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Pegram TN USA

I'm pretty happy, the way my last few seasons have gone regarding time in the woods, if I get in the field & see a deer - or part of one if it's alive! \:D

#286622 - 07/03/07 06:13 AM Re: Measures of QDM "success" [Re: Whitehorse]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

Let's not forget that QDM minded practices are not just for our sake. Whether they are killed during the hunting season on the property under management, on adjacent properties not practicing QDM, or never killed at all; all could be considered moot points. At least to some degree, stereotypical QDM practices are designed to benefit and maximize the whitetail deer and they accomplish just that. Even without hanging their heads on our walls we gain the satisfaction of being able to give something back to the sport that so drives our lives.

#286654 - 07/03/07 06:56 AM Re: Measures of QDM "success" [Re: Mike Belt]
BSK
Non-Typical

Good point Mike. I bet even a smaller property can be the source point for a bunch of healthy yearling bucks that disperse across a wide area. Those early-born, healthy young bucks have the best chance of becoming big, healthy older bucks for a lot of hunters to pursue.

Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
two1980, Darrenduhl, 2winsrus, jacmac, Smokeymtnbow
13101 Registered Users
Who's Online
97 registered (Bass1090, nightowl, eweisner, thetoolman, TNRifleman, JandSCattleCo, 10 invisible) and 124 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13101 Members
42 Forums
88818 Topics
1039107 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.264 seconds in which 0.038 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.