Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2853661 - 06/18/12 08:58 PM Logging and Deer Hunting Question,,,again
huntinman
10 Point

Loc: Hickman

I have been hunting a tract of land that is roughly 85 acres of woods that is mostly hills and hollers. Last year the 100 acre tract of land beside me sold and is now in process of being Clear Cut by a logging company. I don't even see any signs of tree tops where they have been logging. No one ever hunted that pc of property that I am aware of. I don't know what is going to happen to the property afterwards because it is pretty steep up and down hills in typical Hickman County, not the typical land that someone would build on. What should I expect this coming year in my deer woods? I usually take 1 good shooter buck each year, and maintain a very active salt lick that is the size of 2 kids swimming pools. Is my year shot already? What is everyone's opinions.

#2853784 - 06/19/12 03:30 AM Re: Logging and Deer Hunting Question,,,again [Re: huntinman]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

You will have a great season, hunt all you can. Deer will still use your property and if you are directly against this logged property, you land could become a funnel, as deer travel the edges, skirting around this new open area.

In the coming years, your deer hunting will become increasing better.

You should consider sending a Thank-You Basket to the land owner who logged their property.

#2853794 - 06/19/12 05:01 AM Re: Logging and Deer Hunting Question,,,again [Re: plinker22]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Yep, sounds like the deer will be taking cover in the nearby wooded areas...ie your place! Good luck! ;\)

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#2853819 - 06/19/12 06:26 AM Re: Logging and Deer Hunting Question,,,again [Re: MUP]
bigtex
8 Point

Loc: Brush Creek

I have almost the same scenario on my property. I am bordered on three sides by a 600 acre clearcut that was replanted in pines several years ago. The clearcut has minimal hunting pressure and is a sanctuary for all the deer. I have the only hardwoods with mast producing trees for a couple of miles. In a good mast year I draw deer for miles.
You may have to change the way you hunt but your hunting should improve.

#2853854 - 06/19/12 07:32 AM Re: Logging and Deer Hunting Question,,,again [Re: bigtex]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

it may be a little tough this year,but the rewards are to come,see if you can purchase that property at a good price
#2854411 - 06/19/12 05:59 PM Re: Logging and Deer Hunting Question,,,again [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Exact same thing happened to me last year but on a slightly smaller scale. had I wanted to, it would have been year best year ever on that property.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#2854436 - 06/19/12 06:37 PM Re: Logging and Deer Hunting Question,,,again [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

content Online
 Originally Posted By: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
it may be a little tough this year,but the rewards are to come,see if you can purchase that property at a good price

x2. they will sell it cheap when they are done. i hate to see properties logged, but it usually improves hunting in years to follow

#2854597 - 06/19/12 08:51 PM Re: Logging and Deer Hunting Question,,,again [Re: redblood]
huntinman
10 Point

Loc: Hickman

Thanks for the info guys. Should I start hunting the inside edges of my woods? Right now I have been hunting more center of the property I hunt. I do know where there will be a good funnel to develop once they ae finished logging. On the back side of my property is a holler that drops off to some adjoining property (not part of the logging property that i am aware of). I have always seen scrapes in that general area. Looks like I will need to hang a stand in that corner or close by. I am actually looking forward to the season now, just to see what it will be like. I believe the owners of the logging property have already sold the property, but kept the logging rights before selling. At least that is what I heard.

#2854933 - 06/20/12 08:09 AM Re: Logging and Deer Hunting Question,,,again [Re: huntinman]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

You can expect deer to avoid the open clear-cut for at least the first season after logging. Although that opening will produce corners and edges that will funnel deer into more concentrated/predictable movement patterns as deer walk around the edges to avoid walking through the large bare-dirt opening.

In the future, once that clear-cut has one to two summers of growth, consider the cut one big natural food plot. Deer will flock to the natural food sources produced once the tree canopy has been removed. Once the cut has about 4 summers of growth, expect it to be one giant bedding area and possible sanctuary, and hunt the edges appropriately.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2855056 - 06/20/12 10:12 AM Re: Logging and Deer Hunting Question,,,again [Re: BSK]
morgancountry
4 Point

Loc: wartburg, tn

There was some property that we hunt that was logged about 10 years ago. It broke my heart to see it happen back then, it was big mature hardwoods. But now, that land is THICK and it is amazing the number of bucks that use it as a bedding area and some really good bucks too. That area wasn't clear cut though, but I'm sure the results will be similar for you in a couple years.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
MisquitoNet, strutter rutter, SAUM, Hunter11, nikko610
13076 Registered Users
Who's Online
113 registered (stickler, scott co htr, gatodoc, M.Simp, Bar7mag, Sniper23, 14 invisible) and 131 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13076 Members
42 Forums
87991 Topics
1031374 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.229 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.