Tndeer Logo

Page 8 of 9 « First<56789>
Topic Options
#2856147 - 06/21/12 10:26 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Bottom Hunter]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter
Make it easier to check in deer with a smartphone...text your tag/license number in and get issued a temporary kill tag number to give to the processor....once you get home, go back online and send in the info required to get another printable tag for your next hunt.

Where I hunt , I have to drive past the processor to get home to check the deer in....seems like a waste of gas and time to me...

jmo

If i was a processor i would have a computer set up with a printer to allow a perm tag to be done there just a idea.

#2856237 - 06/21/12 11:49 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Slaughter-06
14 Point

Loc: Dyersburg,Tn.

Don't take my bow season away lol we need a bow and a gun season, could do away with muzz if you want.
#2857408 - 06/22/12 07:29 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Buzzard Breath]
thejetman
6 Point

Loc: Knox

Get rid of all those stupid county rules. One buck here, two does there, only on thursday, between 2-5. Push the entire season 2-3 weeks back. Get back tags, like my home, Wisconsin. And regulate the process of tagging and registering deer.
Plant some food in all those random useless fields on public land. And add an "earn a buck program" this would help regulate the doe population.

Edited by thejetman (06/22/12 07:30 PM)

#2857440 - 06/22/12 08:29 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: bowriter]
preds1
12 Point

Loc: Sumner County

I'm pretty happy with everything overall.

Just off the top of my head I see folks mention plant more food plots which is very expensive and unrealistic on a larger scale with a limited budget.

Perhaps publicly advertise for sealed proposals from qualified farmers to work an area of state land based on a determined set of agricultural specifications written by state biologists.

Fields are planted/harvested per the specifications at determined dates; percentage of the crop goes to the farmer, percentage goes to TWRA. Crops are planted, sustains local farmers, and benifits the hunter.

I realize it's much more complicated than that but just thinking out loud I guess.

Edited by preds1 (06/22/12 08:29 PM)

http://youtu.be/pqICP295APA

#2857443 - 06/22/12 08:33 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: thejetman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: thejetman
Get rid of all those stupid county rules. One buck here, two does there, only on thursday, between 2-5. Push the entire season 2-3 weeks back. Get back tags, like my home, Wisconsin. And regulate the process of tagging and registering deer.
Plant some food in all those random useless fields on public land. And add an "earn a buck program" this would help regulate the doe population.

Because WI hunters are bunch of happy campers, overwhelmingly satisfied with the DNR's management practices? and, because rabbit hunters are "random" and "useless"? Furthermore, what county in Tennessee restricts you to one buck?
If you are complaining about Unit B doe restrictions, drive to a Unit L County and kill the ~300 does you are legally allowed to take in one season. Bet you can't do that in Wisconson \:o

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2857688 - 06/23/12 10:02 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Poser]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

The other thread about what the state should not be doing brought up an interesting point. I think ALL users of our public lands should be required to purchase a hunting and fishing license or a user permit. Many user groups use our state lands without footing any of the bill for managing those lands.

#2857694 - 06/23/12 10:14 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
I think ALL users of our public lands should be required to purchase a hunting and fishing license or a user permit. Many user groups use our state lands without footing any of the bill for managing those lands.
x2

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#2857720 - 06/23/12 10:36 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Andy S.]
Jugfish
4 Point

Loc: Corbin, KY

Come up with a program to encourage the old timers to retire and then hire the best talent possible after doing national searches for the best people. Then, disempower the WMA managers and make them all actually do something.
#2857783 - 06/23/12 12:30 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Diehard Hunter]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
The other thread about what the state should not be doing brought up an interesting point. I think ALL users of our public lands should be required to purchase a hunting and fishing license or a user permit. Many user groups use our state lands without footing any of the bill for managing those lands.

As a hunter and fisherman, it also bothers me that other groups get a free ride on WMAS. However, here are some other things to add to the equation:

1. TWRA does not own all of the WMA land we help manage. In many cases the land is owned by another governmental entity. It is doubtful that TWRA would be allowed to require licenses on those lands. If a special permit was generated, it is doubtful that all of any money generated would go to TWRA.

2. These groups that don't pay have many "wants and needs". For example, the horse riders want trails, watering facilites, corrals, etc. to make for a better experience for them. As it now stands, it is pretty easy to tell them that the agency doesn't have the money to put such facilites in. Since they are not contributing funds, they don't have much room to gripe and run to legislators to demand such.

Once they are on a level playing field with hunters and fishermen for required licenses or permits, you will see such demands escalate and intensify. And, IMO, if they are equal payers, there will be legislators that will support their demands for such facilites.

So, the 1000# gorilla question is do they bring in more money in licenses or permits than what it costs TWRA to build and maintain hiking/riding trails, observation platforms, bathrooms, corrals, water supplies, etc. And, remember that TWRA may not be able to require such permits on many WMAs that are not owned by the agency. IMO, it would result in an overall net loss in funds to TWRA.

3. Once they become paying stakeholders, they will want and expect an equal voice in the uses of the WMAs. When they go to legislators requesting a couple of weekends in the fall where there is not hunting so they don't have to worry about getting shot, then as equal paying stakeholders they will increasingly be listened to. I, unfortunately, can see scenarios where hunters will be adversely affected.

The user fee concept has been repeatedly staffed by TWRA over the years. We have staff that that are in favor of such fees and better accomadating other user groups. I remain opposed because IMO it will result in a net loss of funds to TWRA and would cause increasing conflicts with other user groups where hunters could come out on the short in.

Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by scn (06/23/12 02:31 PM)

#2857790 - 06/23/12 12:35 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: scn]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: scn
Once they are on a level playing field wih hunters and fishermen for required licenses or permits, you will see such demands escalate and intensify. And, IMO, if they are equal payers, there will be legislators that will support their demands for such facilites.

So, the 1000# gorilla question is do they bring in more money in licenses or permits than what it costs TWRA to build and maintain hiking/riding trails, observation platforms, bathrooms, corrals, water supplies, etc. And, remember that TWRA may not be able to require such permits on many WMAs that are not owned by the agency. IMO, it would result in an overall loss in funds to TWRA.

Be careful what you wish for.

Fascinating information and good points.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 8 of 9 « First<56789>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
37 registered (RKenney, hinshm, scn, biglefty20, Dale3, HuntFish714, 5 invisible) and 102 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93197 Topics
1089379 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.09 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.