Tndeer Logo

Page 7 of 9 « First<56789>
Topic Options
#2854842 - 06/20/12 06:47 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: 102]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

Make it easier to check in deer with a smartphone...text your tag/license number in and get issued a temporary kill tag number to give to the processor....once you get home, go back online and send in the info required to get another printable tag for your next hunt.

Where I hunt , I have to drive past the processor to get home to check the deer in....seems like a waste of gas and time to me...

jmo

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#2854886 - 06/20/12 07:36 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter
Make it easier to check in deer with a smartphone...text your tag/license number in and get issued a temporary kill tag number to give to the processor....once you get home, go back online and send in the info required to get another printable tag for your next hunt.

Where I hunt , I have to drive past the processor to get home to check the deer in....seems like a waste of gas and time to me...

jmo

BH, you can print up extra kill tags now, then when you kill a deer, check it on using your smart phone, write down the permanent number, drop it off at the processor, then head back to the field to hunt some more. Sounds like what you are proposing.

#2854940 - 06/20/12 08:18 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

Originally Posted By: buzz mcmanus
 Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter

jmo

BH, you can print up extra kill tags now, then when you kill a deer, check it on using your smart phone, write down the permanent number, drop it off at the processor, then head back to the field to hunt some more. Sounds like what you are proposing.

guess i missed that...thanks!

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#2854963 - 06/20/12 08:38 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: eightpointer]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I realize this isn't going to happen in today's world of tight budgets, but one thing I would love to see the TWRA do, either in a seperate study or in conjunction with the hunter opinion survey, is ask hunters to list the counties they hunted in and the number of days they hunted each county.

With advancements in technology, the TWRA is getting a better and better handle on what the deer population of the regions of the state really look like, pre and post-hunt. But what they don't really know much about is hunting pressure and hunter density. Finding out where hunters are hunting (which counties) and how much they are hunting (hunting-days per county), a much better picture of hunting pressure by location could be developed. Perhaps a link could be found between hunting pressure and localized harvest results and herd structure. This could open the door to more localized management.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2855101 - 06/20/12 10:46 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Start managing turkey on a unit basis instead of a statewide basis. Also begin more localized management for deer, even down to the county level. We also desperately need some bear tags in Fentress Co., Im not saying wipe them out but we need some tags.

#2855399 - 06/20/12 02:54 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: cecil30-30]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: cecil30-30
 Originally Posted By: Trapper John
Do away with weapon segments entirely.
I'll 2nd that,just have a deer season..Any weapon you wanna use from Oct 1 to Dec 30th.With a set bag limit of does and bucks.
YES!

#2855413 - 06/20/12 03:18 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: bowriter]
TLRanger
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

TELECHECK

#2855911 - 06/21/12 06:48 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
7mminatree
6 Point

Loc: Unicoi Tn.

give us a better deal on the lifetime sportsmans license, The only bargan is for a child.
#2856101 - 06/21/12 09:46 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Beekeeper]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: Beekeeper
 Originally Posted By: redblood
Set a quota on how many bucks need to be killed and sell buck tags one tag at a time until the quota is reached. When you check a buck in you can buy another buck tag. This would allow those that only want to kill one or two to do it cheaper than people that want to kill more than 3 and would limit the overall harvest.

problem is many less experienced/ skilled hunters may overharvest young bucks. i would dare say that would lower the average age of harvested bucks.
If more young bucks are taken in a given year, wouldn't that leave more older bucks in the herd that year and increase the number of older bucks for the next season?
Maybe for a short time,year or 2 ,then what happens?

You wont know,if you dont go!

#2856138 - 06/21/12 10:19 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Football Hunter]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
 Originally Posted By: redblood
Set a quota on how many bucks need to be killed and sell buck tags one tag at a time until the quota is reached. When you check a buck in you can buy another buck tag. This would allow those that only want to kill one or two to do it cheaper than people that want to kill more than 3 and would limit the overall harvest.

problem is many less experienced/ skilled hunters may overharvest young bucks. i would dare say that would lower the average age of harvested bucks.
If more young bucks are taken in a given year, wouldn't that leave more older bucks in the herd that year and increase the number of older bucks for the next season?
Maybe for a short time,year or 2 ,then what happens?
There would have to be an increase in the harvest of older bucks to meet the number of bucks that would need to be harvested each year.

I am happy with what we have now. The only change I would like to see is an increase of 1 or 2 to the current buck limit. This would not have a significant statistical change in the current harvest.

Edited by Beekeeper (06/21/12 10:28 AM)

Page 7 of 9 « First<56789>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (bowriter, hannibal, wlf89, CAW, robinhedd, 1 invisible) and 77 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.