Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 9 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#2854428 - 06/19/12 06:29 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I wish trout regulations were catch and release statewide, but that's not realistic. They should make the Caney Fork regs. statewide.

Brown Trout
Only One Per Day 24" Inch Length Limit

Rainbow Trout
Only One Over 20" / Keep Up To 5 Under 14"
CAN'T KEEP BETWEEN 14" TO 20"
5 Per Day Creel Limit In Combination With All Trout (Rainbow, Brown, And Brook)

I really wish all trout rivers were under delayed harvest regulations. Right now, we only have paint Creek, Tellico River, and a few streams in Gatlinburg.

I also wish we could protect river smallmouth more. They take so long to grow and can get overharvested so quickly. I know folks love to eat them, but it just blows my mind that they are not more valuable to catch than to eat in some folks' minds. They just don't bounce back quickly within the confines of small rivers.

I hate that they added a third buck per weapon season a few years ago (supposedly for no other reason that to make it easier for hunters to understand the regulations - are we really so ignorant we can't count to two?).

Overall, though, TWRA gets an A+.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#2854467 - 06/19/12 07:17 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: gil1]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

Set a quota on how many bucks need to be killed and sell buck tags one tag at a time until the quota is reached. When you check a buck in you can buy another buck tag. This would allow those that only want to kill one or two to do it cheaper than people that want to kill more than 3 and would limit the overall harvest.

#2854491 - 06/19/12 07:46 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Beekeeper]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: Beekeeper
Set a quota on how many bucks need to be killed and sell buck tags one tag at a time until the quota is reached. When you check a buck in you can buy another buck tag. This would allow those that only want to kill one or two to do it cheaper than people that want to kill more than 3 and would limit the overall harvest.

problem is many less experienced/ skilled hunters may overharvest young bucks. i would dare say that would lower the average age of harvested bucks.

#2854547 - 06/19/12 08:29 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: redblood]
Beekeeper
16 Point

Originally Posted By: redblood

problem is many less experienced/ skilled hunters may overharvest young bucks. i would dare say that would lower the average age of harvested bucks.
If more young bucks are taken in a given year, wouldn't that leave more older bucks in the herd that year and increase the number of older bucks for the next season?

#2854551 - 06/19/12 08:31 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Beekeeper]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Where is the costs of a TN hunter license a deterrent for killing deer? Furthermore, where is the costs of a TN hunting license used as "justification" for killing a bag limit? In other words, who is the guy that is thinking "Man, I would kill just one buck, but that hunting license is so expensive, I'm gonna kill me 3 even if I have to miss 5 days of work"?

But, ok... let's keep going down this road. How about a system where your buck tag is based on the buck you kill? Kill no buck, don't have to pay for a buck tag. Bigger bucks are worth more money, smaller bucks less money. Even better, how about the bigger the buck, the cheaper the buck tag? That way, everyone would be holding out for a "cheap", big buck ;\) Kill a 14 point, 150 inch buck, your buck tag is only $10. Kill a spike, $100. Non resident? triple those amounts. This way, since we are apparently so worried about what we are paying for bucks tags, everyone could buy a basic $30 license and only pay for what they kill. A rich man would go kill 10 spikes just to show off how rich he is while a poor man would wait years and years to drop the hammer on a $7 buck just to be frugal.

See how ridiculous this gets?

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2854584 - 06/19/12 08:47 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: eightpointer]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

Originally Posted By: eightpointer
 Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Trapper John
Do away with weapon segments entirely.

X2.

Make it "deer" season, not bow season, or MZ season, etc. Open deer season Oct. 1 and run it through mid January. Use lower bag limits to adjust for any unwanted increase in harvest caused by more days of hunting with firearms.

YES! But keep bag limits in my unit L the same
Awesome idea.

#2854585 - 06/19/12 08:47 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Poser]
Beekeeper
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser

Where is the costs of a TN hunter license a deterrent for killing deer? Furthermore, where is the costs of a TN hunting license used as "justification" for killing a bag limit? In other words, who is the guy that is thinking "Man, I would kill just one buck, but that hunting license is so expensive, I'm gonna kill me 3 even if I have to miss 5 days of work"?

But, ok... let's keep going down this road. How about a system where your buck tag is based on the buck you kill? Kill no buck, don't have to pay for a buck tag. Bigger bucks are worth more money, smaller bucks less money. Even better, how about the bigger the buck, the cheaper the buck tag? That way, everyone would be holding out for a "cheap", big buck ;\) Kill a 14 point, 150 inch buck, your buck tag is only $10. Kill a spike, $100. Non resident? triple those amounts. This way, since we are apparently so worried about what we are paying for bucks tags, everyone could buy a basic $30 license and only pay for what they kill. A rich man would go kill 10 spikes just to show off how rich he is while a poor man would wait years and years to drop the hammer on a $7 buck just to be frugal.

See how ridiculous this gets?
I have a Lifetime License so the cost is not important. The folks that worry about the age structure of the herd use the excuse that more young bucks are killed because we have a 3 buck limit. I believe that for every young buck that is killed there is one older buck that isn't. There are so many deer that need to be killed every year, no matter what age, to sustain our sport.

A system such as being able to buy a buck tag when you check a buck would allow the state to end the season when a certain number of bucks had been killed, much like other states that end certain seasons when the harvest reaches a certain level.

#2854729 - 06/19/12 11:11 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Beekeeper]
RKenney
10 Point

Loc: Maury Co.

I can't really think of anything, but I would say the TWRA is always looking for ways to improve. That's the way it usually is with successful organizations, businesses, and ect.
#2854754 - 06/20/12 01:00 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: RKenney]
OCLhunter90
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

In all seriousness legalize spear hunting whitetails. It's legal in other states.

#2854782 - 06/20/12 04:50 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: OCLhunter90]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I think the State should pay me 5000.00 for every deer I kill.
And then pay me 5000.00 for every deer I have already killed.

But if nobody will drink my kool-aid...

the State can just leave things just as they are and change them only to help manage the herd as the State Biologists see fit.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

Page 6 of 9 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
7 registered (Mr.Squirrel, Mudbone, rabbit hunter, mossyoakmantn, Prowler, Britlab, 1 invisible) and 51 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93135 Topics
1088561 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.09 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.