Tndeer Logo

Page all of 9 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2853501 - 06/18/12 04:12 PM What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

You may not post anything regarding yourself or other hunters. This is just what changes you would like the STATE to make regarding deer seasons...all three of them.

This is the general, catchall thread for all matters regarding season lengths, bag limits, starting dates etc.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#2853504 - 06/18/12 04:19 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: bowriter]
Trapper John
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro,TN/Decaturville, ...

Do away with weapon segments entirely.
#2853507 - 06/18/12 04:24 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Trapper John]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

Add a season for Ninjee Stars...
#2853522 - 06/18/12 04:41 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Baxter83]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

Swap the quota on the L counties. 3 bucks per day and only 3 does per year.......... yea right!

#2853542 - 06/18/12 05:14 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Trapper John]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

Originally Posted By: Trapper John
I'll 2nd that,just have a deer season..Any weapon you wanna use from Oct 1 to Dec 30th.With a set bag limit of does and bucks.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#2853545 - 06/18/12 05:20 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Trapper John]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

X2.

Make it "deer" season, not bow season, or MZ season, etc. Open deer season Oct. 1 and run it through mid January. Use lower bag limits to adjust for any unwanted increase in harvest caused by more days of hunting with firearms.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2853550 - 06/18/12 05:33 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
buckmaster 320
6 Point

Loc: cookeville,tn

Originally Posted By: BSK

X2.

#2853582 - 06/18/12 06:42 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Trapper John]
richmanbarbeque
16 Point

Loc: Middle, Tn

Sounds great to some but the loss in revenue for all business would be catastrophic.

#2853585 - 06/18/12 06:51 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: richmanbarbeque]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Squirrel season that runs May through the end of February. Basically, hunt squirrels anytime that the mothers are not tending to their young. Why not? Hardly anyone hunts them with the exception of just before and just after deer season anyway.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2853594 - 06/18/12 06:57 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: bowriter]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Make Catoosa open to archery throughout the season except during draw hunts and the day before.

Have the doe limit in unit b at 2 regardless of weapon.

Have more bear hunts that coincide with deer hunts in South Cherokee, no dogs aloud.

I like Poser's squirrel season idea also.

Edited by buzz mcmanus (06/18/12 06:59 PM)

#2853604 - 06/18/12 07:14 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: bowriter]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

I thought of another.

Either have an auction elk tag, or a youth elk tag, but not both. By having both, they are removing over 33% of the available tags from the general drawing. The elk program has cost way too much to remove this high of a percentage of tags from the folks who pay for it.

#2853605 - 06/18/12 07:14 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: bowriter]
buckmaster 320
6 Point

Loc: cookeville,tn

Let everyone kill hogs year round anytime they see them!!!
#2853620 - 06/18/12 07:40 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: buckmaster 320]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

1. Have a certain number of does and bucks for a yearly bag limit. 2. buttonheads count as bucks. 3. More Trophy Hunts on PI where i wouldnt be in wheel chair next time i get to to go.

#2853690 - 06/18/12 09:31 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: muddyboots]
shelbydeer
8 Point

Loc: memphis

Reduce buck limit in counties with plenty of doe oppurtunity
#2853695 - 06/18/12 09:35 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

Archery draw hunts at radnor lake! HAHA.

Ohh and only Williamson/Davidson county residents can apply!

Edited by Hollar Hunter (06/18/12 09:37 PM)

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#2853712 - 06/18/12 09:49 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Buzzard Breath]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

i think the twra has it fine the way it is
#2853716 - 06/18/12 09:53 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: shelbydeer]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

Originally Posted By: shelbydeer
Reduce buck lismit in counties with plenty of doe oppurtunity

If thats the case then close all hunting in counties with slim doe opportunity? Why would you punish people in counties with plenty of does, that would mean counties with slim amounts of does should not have a season at all
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#2853735 - 06/18/12 10:13 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: bowriter]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Educate the hunters in this state. I have hunted all over the SE and the majority of deer hunters I have interacted with here in East TN are very new to the sport or have never learned anything about how to hunt deer. Sure plenty get killed by these hunters each year, but there is a difference in my opinion in hunting and shooting.

Some of the other states have really done a good job of educating hunters on all facets of deer hunting whether it be habitat management, herd management, or simple hunting strategies. If TN has done this then it is news to me, and wouldn't be the first time I overlooked something.

#2853749 - 06/18/12 10:31 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

X2.

Make it "deer" season, not bow season, or MZ season, etc. Open deer season Oct. 1 and run it through mid January. Use lower bag limits to adjust for any unwanted increase in harvest caused by more days of hunting with firearms.

absolutely. except end it Jan 1

#2853766 - 06/18/12 11:13 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: redblood]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

- 2 buck limit statewide.
- 1 buck with rifle, 1 buck with archery/muzzleloader.
- get rid of the entire antlerless non-quota hunts table for Units A and B in the hunting guide and set a season rifle doe limit for each county.
- go back to the split rifle season and shorten it by a week or two.
- add a week or at least a weekend of traditional muzzleloader. I can confidently shoot 250+ yds with my scoped Savage smokeless. The current muzzleloader season is essentially an extra 2 weeks of rifle season for hunters with a good in-line.

To summarize - less bucks, less rifle, more bow, more traditional muzzleloader. I realize none of this will happen, but you asked what we would like to see...

#2853776 - 06/19/12 01:01 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Vermin93]
Tiny
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Do away with the Type 94 requirement unless they have already done so.

God Answers Prayers Yes No or Not Yet

#2853782 - 06/19/12 03:21 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Tiny]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

A

draw hunt, similar to the current Elk draw, for a whitetail deer hunt in Cades Cove. Each applicant can apply for up to 5 chances to be drawn.
Proceeds split evenly between "Friends of the GSMNP" and TWRA.

#2853814 - 06/19/12 06:21 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: plinker22]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

Originally Posted By: plinker22

A draw hunt, similar to the current Elk draw, for a whitetail deer hunt in Cades Cove. Each applicant can apply for up to 5 chances to be drawn.
\:D \:D

#2853816 - 06/19/12 06:23 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: plinker22]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

A

draw hunt, similar to the current Elk draw, for a whitetail deer hunt in Cades Cove. Each applicant can apply for up to 5 chances to be drawn.

feds would be involved with that.

#2853835 - 06/19/12 07:00 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
eightpointer
14 Point

Loc: Birchwood, TN

X2.

Awesome idea.

#2853881 - 06/19/12 07:52 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: redblood]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: redblood

X2.

The only reason I suggested extending the date to mid-January was for those hunters down along the southern border, where considerable early January breeding occurs. I want everyone to be able to hunt their local peak of breeding.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2853894 - 06/19/12 08:03 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co.

That would be awesome.

#2853921 - 06/19/12 08:25 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Rubberduck270]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

I personally would like a set yearly doe limit and then a special program to apply for extra doe tags depending on how much acreage the land is.
#2853930 - 06/19/12 08:31 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Bayou Buck]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

I wouldn't mind seeing a program where once you kill a buck, before you can kill another you have to take a doe. Seems like it would help keep the populations equal.

#2853958 - 06/19/12 08:49 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

X2.

The only reason I suggested extending the date to mid-January was for those hunters down along the southern border, where considerable early January breeding occurs. I want everyone to be able to hunt their local peak of breeding.

a big thanks out to bsk and others up there that understand our rut isnt the same time as yours. for years we missed the ability to firearm hunt during the rut because gun season was closed for two weeks. it seemed nobody understood or cared until recently.

#2853975 - 06/19/12 09:04 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: ]
Jugfish
4 Point

Loc: Corbin, KY

How about making somebody responsible for and in charge of the performance of TWRA decisions in the Regions? We have 5 agencies now. Nashville, Regions 1,2,3, and 4. Nobody is in charge.

2 buck limit.

#2854000 - 06/19/12 09:52 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Jugfish]
StalkingWolf
8 Point

Loc: Dyersburg, TN, USA

I say leave it alone. It is just fine the way it is.
#2854039 - 06/19/12 10:21 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: StalkingWolf]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

If you had just one season with out a archery and ML would that kill those two sports? I know the people that are avid bow hunters would keep doing it but some people like me may not if I could hunt riffle all the time I would probably just do that. I am trying archery just because I can do it early. I am sure that is why some young kids do it also and then they start liking it and become the great hunters you all are. It is also nice to know you are semi safe for a little while hunting bow and there are not all those john wayne fans throwing lead every ware \:\) I am all for the longer season to go into mid Jan I think if the unlimited taking of does is not hurting the deer population in unit l then I like it the way it is. I would think that not a lot of people kill that many does but the ones that do may do it for meat also and I am a firm believer if they are killing for meet for there family then that should be ok.
#2854046 - 06/19/12 10:28 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: waynesworld]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: waynesworld
If you had just one season with out a archery and ML would that kill those two sports?

Seasons should not be set to support a particular part of the hunting industry.

#2854062 - 06/19/12 10:44 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
waynesworld
8 Point

If you had just one season with out a archery and ML would that kill those two sports?

Not to support the industry but the sport. If people are not guided to try it for some benefit you kill the sport, and rules used all the time in the name of sport. Look at what they limit for bait, calling, decoy's all in the name of "SPORT"

Edited by waynesworld (06/19/12 10:46 AM)

#2854063 - 06/19/12 10:45 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

I, myself, am not qualified to answer what they should be doing. However, what I'd like for them to do is a matter of opinion at best. ;\)

I'm not a fan of all one season thinking. I really do believe they (the deer) would be stressed more if firearms were allowed from what is now the beginning of archery season, all the way till the end of traditional firearms season. I think the setup is just fine myself at this point.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#2854199 - 06/19/12 01:18 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: plinker22]
oldmanelrod
6 Point

Loc: TN/AL state line

A

Great idea but unfortunatly it won't work since GSMNP is not under TWRA control.

#2854200 - 06/19/12 01:20 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: waynesworld]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

Not to support the industry but the sport. If people are not guided to try it for some benefit you kill the sport, and rules used all the time in the name of sport. Look at what they limit for bait, calling, decoy's all in the name of "SPORT"

It wouldn't "kill" the sport. Mathews and PSE will still sell archery equipment just as TC and CVA will sell muzzle loaders. It would give everyone more variety of what they want to hunt with on any day of the season. Would most simply use gun for the whole season? Probably, but they would still have the option of archery and muzzle loader.

#2854231 - 06/19/12 01:35 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: ]
oldmanelrod
6 Point

Loc: TN/AL state line

Have deer season end Januart 31st. Many of the southern TN counties along the AL and MS have a good primary rut going during the 1st wk of JAN and secondary rut at end of Jan.
#2854247 - 06/19/12 01:51 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: waynesworld]
BSK
Non-Typical

Most of those who hunt with a bow during bow season, and/or hunt with an bow/MZ during MZ season, are the same hunters who hunt gun season (with whatever weapon they choose). Having one single season where weapon is by hunter choice is not going to keep many hunters from hunting. It would not harm the sport of deer hunting.

#2854264 - 06/19/12 02:00 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: oldmanelrod]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Loc: Southern Wayne CO and NW Alaba...

Hire more wardens!!!!!!!!!!

Those folks are spread to thin

http://twitter.com/AlabamaSwamper

#2854276 - 06/19/12 02:11 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

I'll second that.

#2854285 - 06/19/12 02:26 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

I bought a bow and I'm learning to shoot it so that I can hunt more. I gun hunt, but I am also really looking forward to enjoying a period of the season where there will be no gun hunters in the woods. I can leave the orange at home and know that the woods will be quieter and less crowded than in November and December. Now that I've got a bow and I'm getting pretty good at shooting it, there is no way that I want one season with any weapon. Yep, I'm officially a selfish, greedy bow hunter now and I can't wait to start my season in September instead of November. \:\)

Edited by Vermin93 (06/19/12 02:27 PM)

#2854294 - 06/19/12 02:42 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

I'll second that.

Just curious, but if TWRA does away with the additional revenue that archery and muzzleloader licenses bring in, how do you propose that they fund additional game wardens. Even though we can still hunt with archery equipment and muzzleloaders, those license sales will pretty much disappear.

#2854315 - 06/19/12 03:12 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Setterman]
whistlinwingman
8 Point

Loc: Morristown

Originally Posted By: Setterman
Educate the hunters in this state. I have hunted all over the SE and the majority of deer hunters I have interacted with here in East TN are very new to the sport or have never learned anything about how to hunt deer. Sure plenty get killed by these hunters each year, but there is a difference in my opinion in hunting and shooting.

Some of the other states have really done a good job of educating hunters on all facets of deer hunting whether it be habitat management, herd management, or simple hunting strategies. If TN has done this then it is news to me, and wouldn't be the first time I overlooked something.

I have not personally hunted all over the southeast, but have in Tennessee, Ohio, Alabama, and Georgia. The results are the same in all places it appears to me. Many hunters have no clue habitat managment, herd's, or even basic hunting stratetgies. You cannot educate those who do not want to be educated.

#2854316 - 06/19/12 03:13 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: whistlinwingman]
whistlinwingman
8 Point

Loc: Morristown

I would not want to see weapon's segments dismissed. But I would not have a problem with them rotating them around periodically.

#2854332 - 06/19/12 03:38 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: whistlinwingman]
waynesworld
8 Point

I would agree with having more wardens and wildlife people in total. You could fund it with some of the states money it is throwing at the health issues for people.
How to justify is if we promote more outdoors stuff we can get some more of the kids off the couch and wi and in the fields and exercising. Maybe even some of the kids would join NRA not the local gang and we could have some of the men in the state be MEN not grow boys \:\) Just a idea

#2854354 - 06/19/12 04:29 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: waynesworld]
Mr.Bro
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tn.

How bout putting a little money into hunter education.
The last time i helped in a class,3-4 years ago,the material,videos,were at least 30 years old.

#2854379 - 06/19/12 05:13 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Buzzard Breath]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: buzz mcmanus

I'll second that.

Just curious, but if TWRA does away with the additional revenue that archery and muzzleloader licenses bring in, how do you propose that they fund additional game wardens. Even though we can still hunt with archery equipment and muzzleloaders, those license sales will pretty much disappear.

Offset the loss of revenue from archery and MZ license sales by increasing the cost of a single "deer season" license.

#2854427 - 06/19/12 06:29 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

I'll second that.

Offset the loss of revenue from archery and MZ license sales by increasing the cost of a single "deer season" license.

That sounds good to me. TWRA can lower the license fees for the more dedicated hunters, the ones who buy multiple licenses and sportsmen licenses, and they can start making the less dedicated hunters bear more of the burden through higher license fees. You know, the guys that just buy a license to hunt a couple weekends a year with a rifle.

#2854428 - 06/19/12 06:29 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
gil1
12 Point

I wish trout regulations were catch and release statewide, but that's not realistic. They should make the Caney Fork regs. statewide.

Brown Trout
Only One Per Day 24" Inch Length Limit

Rainbow Trout
Only One Over 20" / Keep Up To 5 Under 14"
CAN'T KEEP BETWEEN 14" TO 20"
5 Per Day Creel Limit In Combination With All Trout (Rainbow, Brown, And Brook)

I really wish all trout rivers were under delayed harvest regulations. Right now, we only have paint Creek, Tellico River, and a few streams in Gatlinburg.

I also wish we could protect river smallmouth more. They take so long to grow and can get overharvested so quickly. I know folks love to eat them, but it just blows my mind that they are not more valuable to catch than to eat in some folks' minds. They just don't bounce back quickly within the confines of small rivers.

I hate that they added a third buck per weapon season a few years ago (supposedly for no other reason that to make it easier for hunters to understand the regulations - are we really so ignorant we can't count to two?).

Overall, though, TWRA gets an A+.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#2854467 - 06/19/12 07:17 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: gil1]
Beekeeper
16 Point

Set a quota on how many bucks need to be killed and sell buck tags one tag at a time until the quota is reached. When you check a buck in you can buy another buck tag. This would allow those that only want to kill one or two to do it cheaper than people that want to kill more than 3 and would limit the overall harvest.

#2854491 - 06/19/12 07:46 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Beekeeper]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: Beekeeper
Set a quota on how many bucks need to be killed and sell buck tags one tag at a time until the quota is reached. When you check a buck in you can buy another buck tag. This would allow those that only want to kill one or two to do it cheaper than people that want to kill more than 3 and would limit the overall harvest.

problem is many less experienced/ skilled hunters may overharvest young bucks. i would dare say that would lower the average age of harvested bucks.

#2854547 - 06/19/12 08:29 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: redblood]
Beekeeper
16 Point

problem is many less experienced/ skilled hunters may overharvest young bucks. i would dare say that would lower the average age of harvested bucks.
If more young bucks are taken in a given year, wouldn't that leave more older bucks in the herd that year and increase the number of older bucks for the next season?

#2854551 - 06/19/12 08:31 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Beekeeper]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Where is the costs of a TN hunter license a deterrent for killing deer? Furthermore, where is the costs of a TN hunting license used as "justification" for killing a bag limit? In other words, who is the guy that is thinking "Man, I would kill just one buck, but that hunting license is so expensive, I'm gonna kill me 3 even if I have to miss 5 days of work"?

But, ok... let's keep going down this road. How about a system where your buck tag is based on the buck you kill? Kill no buck, don't have to pay for a buck tag. Bigger bucks are worth more money, smaller bucks less money. Even better, how about the bigger the buck, the cheaper the buck tag? That way, everyone would be holding out for a "cheap", big buck ;\) Kill a 14 point, 150 inch buck, your buck tag is only $10. Kill a spike, $100. Non resident? triple those amounts. This way, since we are apparently so worried about what we are paying for bucks tags, everyone could buy a basic $30 license and only pay for what they kill. A rich man would go kill 10 spikes just to show off how rich he is while a poor man would wait years and years to drop the hammer on a $7 buck just to be frugal.

See how ridiculous this gets?

#2854584 - 06/19/12 08:47 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: eightpointer]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

Originally Posted By: eightpointer

X2.

YES! But keep bag limits in my unit L the same
Awesome idea.

#2854585 - 06/19/12 08:47 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Poser]
Beekeeper
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser

Where is the costs of a TN hunter license a deterrent for killing deer? Furthermore, where is the costs of a TN hunting license used as "justification" for killing a bag limit? In other words, who is the guy that is thinking "Man, I would kill just one buck, but that hunting license is so expensive, I'm gonna kill me 3 even if I have to miss 5 days of work"?

But, ok... let's keep going down this road. How about a system where your buck tag is based on the buck you kill? Kill no buck, don't have to pay for a buck tag. Bigger bucks are worth more money, smaller bucks less money. Even better, how about the bigger the buck, the cheaper the buck tag? That way, everyone would be holding out for a "cheap", big buck ;\) Kill a 14 point, 150 inch buck, your buck tag is only $10. Kill a spike, $100. Non resident? triple those amounts. This way, since we are apparently so worried about what we are paying for bucks tags, everyone could buy a basic $30 license and only pay for what they kill. A rich man would go kill 10 spikes just to show off how rich he is while a poor man would wait years and years to drop the hammer on a $7 buck just to be frugal.

See how ridiculous this gets?
I have a Lifetime License so the cost is not important. The folks that worry about the age structure of the herd use the excuse that more young bucks are killed because we have a 3 buck limit. I believe that for every young buck that is killed there is one older buck that isn't. There are so many deer that need to be killed every year, no matter what age, to sustain our sport.

A system such as being able to buy a buck tag when you check a buck would allow the state to end the season when a certain number of bucks had been killed, much like other states that end certain seasons when the harvest reaches a certain level.

#2854729 - 06/19/12 11:11 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Beekeeper]
RKenney
10 Point

Loc: Maury Co.

I can't really think of anything, but I would say the TWRA is always looking for ways to improve. That's the way it usually is with successful organizations, businesses, and ect.
#2854754 - 06/20/12 01:00 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: RKenney]
OCLhunter90
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

In all seriousness legalize spear hunting whitetails. It's legal in other states.

#2854782 - 06/20/12 04:50 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: OCLhunter90]
10 Point

I think the State should pay me 5000.00 for every deer I kill.
And then pay me 5000.00 for every deer I have already killed.

But if nobody will drink my kool-aid...

the State can just leave things just as they are and change them only to help manage the herd as the State Biologists see fit.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#2854842 - 06/20/12 06:47 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: 102]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

Make it easier to check in deer with a smartphone...text your tag/license number in and get issued a temporary kill tag number to give to the processor....once you get home, go back online and send in the info required to get another printable tag for your next hunt.

Where I hunt , I have to drive past the processor to get home to check the deer in....seems like a waste of gas and time to me...

jmo

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#2854886 - 06/20/12 07:36 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter
Make it easier to check in deer with a smartphone...text your tag/license number in and get issued a temporary kill tag number to give to the processor....once you get home, go back online and send in the info required to get another printable tag for your next hunt.

Where I hunt , I have to drive past the processor to get home to check the deer in....seems like a waste of gas and time to me...

jmo

BH, you can print up extra kill tags now, then when you kill a deer, check it on using your smart phone, write down the permanent number, drop it off at the processor, then head back to the field to hunt some more. Sounds like what you are proposing.

#2854940 - 06/20/12 08:18 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

jmo

BH, you can print up extra kill tags now, then when you kill a deer, check it on using your smart phone, write down the permanent number, drop it off at the processor, then head back to the field to hunt some more. Sounds like what you are proposing.

guess i missed that...thanks!

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#2854963 - 06/20/12 08:38 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: eightpointer]
BSK
Non-Typical

I realize this isn't going to happen in today's world of tight budgets, but one thing I would love to see the TWRA do, either in a seperate study or in conjunction with the hunter opinion survey, is ask hunters to list the counties they hunted in and the number of days they hunted each county.

With advancements in technology, the TWRA is getting a better and better handle on what the deer population of the regions of the state really look like, pre and post-hunt. But what they don't really know much about is hunting pressure and hunter density. Finding out where hunters are hunting (which counties) and how much they are hunting (hunting-days per county), a much better picture of hunting pressure by location could be developed. Perhaps a link could be found between hunting pressure and localized harvest results and herd structure. This could open the door to more localized management.

#2855101 - 06/20/12 10:46 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Start managing turkey on a unit basis instead of a statewide basis. Also begin more localized management for deer, even down to the county level. We also desperately need some bear tags in Fentress Co., Im not saying wipe them out but we need some tags.

#2855399 - 06/20/12 02:54 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: cecil30-30]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: cecil30-30
I'll 2nd that,just have a deer season..Any weapon you wanna use from Oct 1 to Dec 30th.With a set bag limit of does and bucks.
YES!

#2855413 - 06/20/12 03:18 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: bowriter]
TLRanger
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

TELECHECK

#2855911 - 06/21/12 06:48 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
7mminatree
6 Point

Loc: Unicoi Tn.

give us a better deal on the lifetime sportsmans license, The only bargan is for a child.
#2856101 - 06/21/12 09:46 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Beekeeper]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

If more young bucks are taken in a given year, wouldn't that leave more older bucks in the herd that year and increase the number of older bucks for the next season?
Maybe for a short time,year or 2 ,then what happens?

You wont know,if you dont go!

#2856138 - 06/21/12 10:19 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Football Hunter]
Beekeeper
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter

Maybe for a short time,year or 2 ,then what happens?
There would have to be an increase in the harvest of older bucks to meet the number of bucks that would need to be harvested each year.

I am happy with what we have now. The only change I would like to see is an increase of 1 or 2 to the current buck limit. This would not have a significant statistical change in the current harvest.

Edited by Beekeeper (06/21/12 10:28 AM)

#2856147 - 06/21/12 10:26 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Bottom Hunter]
waynesworld
8 Point

jmo

If i was a processor i would have a computer set up with a printer to allow a perm tag to be done there just a idea.

#2856237 - 06/21/12 11:49 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Slaughter-06
14 Point

Loc: Dyersburg,Tn.

Don't take my bow season away lol we need a bow and a gun season, could do away with muzz if you want.
#2857408 - 06/22/12 07:29 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Buzzard Breath]
thejetman
6 Point

Loc: Knox

Get rid of all those stupid county rules. One buck here, two does there, only on thursday, between 2-5. Push the entire season 2-3 weeks back. Get back tags, like my home, Wisconsin. And regulate the process of tagging and registering deer.
Plant some food in all those random useless fields on public land. And add an "earn a buck program" this would help regulate the doe population.

Edited by thejetman (06/22/12 07:30 PM)

#2857440 - 06/22/12 08:29 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: bowriter]
preds1
12 Point

Loc: Sumner County

I'm pretty happy with everything overall.

Just off the top of my head I see folks mention plant more food plots which is very expensive and unrealistic on a larger scale with a limited budget.

Perhaps publicly advertise for sealed proposals from qualified farmers to work an area of state land based on a determined set of agricultural specifications written by state biologists.

Fields are planted/harvested per the specifications at determined dates; percentage of the crop goes to the farmer, percentage goes to TWRA. Crops are planted, sustains local farmers, and benifits the hunter.

I realize it's much more complicated than that but just thinking out loud I guess.

Edited by preds1 (06/22/12 08:29 PM)

#2857443 - 06/22/12 08:33 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: thejetman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: thejetman
Get rid of all those stupid county rules. One buck here, two does there, only on thursday, between 2-5. Push the entire season 2-3 weeks back. Get back tags, like my home, Wisconsin. And regulate the process of tagging and registering deer.
Plant some food in all those random useless fields on public land. And add an "earn a buck program" this would help regulate the doe population.

Because WI hunters are bunch of happy campers, overwhelmingly satisfied with the DNR's management practices? and, because rabbit hunters are "random" and "useless"? Furthermore, what county in Tennessee restricts you to one buck?
If you are complaining about Unit B doe restrictions, drive to a Unit L County and kill the ~300 does you are legally allowed to take in one season. Bet you can't do that in Wisconson \:o

#2857688 - 06/23/12 10:02 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Poser]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

The other thread about what the state should not be doing brought up an interesting point. I think ALL users of our public lands should be required to purchase a hunting and fishing license or a user permit. Many user groups use our state lands without footing any of the bill for managing those lands.

#2857694 - 06/23/12 10:14 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
I think ALL users of our public lands should be required to purchase a hunting and fishing license or a user permit. Many user groups use our state lands without footing any of the bill for managing those lands.
x2

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#2857720 - 06/23/12 10:36 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Andy S.]
Jugfish
4 Point

Loc: Corbin, KY

Come up with a program to encourage the old timers to retire and then hire the best talent possible after doing national searches for the best people. Then, disempower the WMA managers and make them all actually do something.
#2857783 - 06/23/12 12:30 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Diehard Hunter]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

The other thread about what the state should not be doing brought up an interesting point. I think ALL users of our public lands should be required to purchase a hunting and fishing license or a user permit. Many user groups use our state lands without footing any of the bill for managing those lands.

As a hunter and fisherman, it also bothers me that other groups get a free ride on WMAS. However, here are some other things to add to the equation:

1. TWRA does not own all of the WMA land we help manage. In many cases the land is owned by another governmental entity. It is doubtful that TWRA would be allowed to require licenses on those lands. If a special permit was generated, it is doubtful that all of any money generated would go to TWRA.

2. These groups that don't pay have many "wants and needs". For example, the horse riders want trails, watering facilites, corrals, etc. to make for a better experience for them. As it now stands, it is pretty easy to tell them that the agency doesn't have the money to put such facilites in. Since they are not contributing funds, they don't have much room to gripe and run to legislators to demand such.

Once they are on a level playing field with hunters and fishermen for required licenses or permits, you will see such demands escalate and intensify. And, IMO, if they are equal payers, there will be legislators that will support their demands for such facilites.

So, the 1000# gorilla question is do they bring in more money in licenses or permits than what it costs TWRA to build and maintain hiking/riding trails, observation platforms, bathrooms, corrals, water supplies, etc. And, remember that TWRA may not be able to require such permits on many WMAs that are not owned by the agency. IMO, it would result in an overall net loss in funds to TWRA.

3. Once they become paying stakeholders, they will want and expect an equal voice in the uses of the WMAs. When they go to legislators requesting a couple of weekends in the fall where there is not hunting so they don't have to worry about getting shot, then as equal paying stakeholders they will increasingly be listened to. I, unfortunately, can see scenarios where hunters will be adversely affected.

The user fee concept has been repeatedly staffed by TWRA over the years. We have staff that that are in favor of such fees and better accomadating other user groups. I remain opposed because IMO it will result in a net loss of funds to TWRA and would cause increasing conflicts with other user groups where hunters could come out on the short in.

Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by scn (06/23/12 02:31 PM)

#2857790 - 06/23/12 12:35 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: scn]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: scn
Once they are on a level playing field wih hunters and fishermen for required licenses or permits, you will see such demands escalate and intensify. And, IMO, if they are equal payers, there will be legislators that will support their demands for such facilites.

So, the 1000# gorilla question is do they bring in more money in licenses or permits than what it costs TWRA to build and maintain hiking/riding trails, observation platforms, bathrooms, corrals, water supplies, etc. And, remember that TWRA may not be able to require such permits on many WMAs that are not owned by the agency. IMO, it would result in an overall loss in funds to TWRA.

Be careful what you wish for.

Fascinating information and good points.

#2857816 - 06/23/12 01:26 PM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: BSK]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

..... good points.
x2. Thanks for chiming in Steve, good info.

#2858216 - 06/24/12 08:44 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Andy S.]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

I like how things are and I definitely don't want just one season, I like being in the woods for alittle while with no rifles, and I do gun hunt also just enjoy the changes of pace

#2858279 - 06/24/12 11:17 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Beekeeper
16 Point

Some of these are state forests that the TWRA might not be able to charge for but there are some, Catoosa in particular, that the TWRA owns and should be able to charge an access fee to people using it.

#2858291 - 06/24/12 11:58 AM Re: What Should The STATE be Doing That It Is Not Doin [Re: Beekeeper]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

FWIW, I read where TWRA manages or co-manages 1,499,739 acres of land, of which they own 464,869 acres. In essence, TWRA owns approximately 1/3 of what they manage.

Page all of 9 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (levergunner, ruthunter, Daniel Willoughby, CAW) and 71 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.023 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.