Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#2850590 - 06/13/12 07:55 PM Re: USDA Supporting Deer Breeders [Re: Monty]
eightpointer
14 Point

Loc: Birchwood, TN

Funding is down in all USDA agencies. There are cuts and proposed cuts everywhere.
#2850638 - 06/13/12 08:53 PM Re: USDA Supporting Deer Breeders [Re: eightpointer]
Happy Birthday Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: eightpointer
Funding is down in all USDA agencies. There are cuts and proposed cuts everywhere.

All the more reason to not add to the burden the USDA already has. How can you realistically believe they could adequately inspect and regulate these farms when they are too short handed to do their jobs as it is. The USDA has been short handed since the 1990's. They are so short handed many inspectors have described their jobs as a joke. There is absolutely no way to complete what they are asked to do without pencil whipping inspection reports?

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2008-02...ment-inspectors

http://www.feedstuffs.com/ME2/dirmod.asp...FEADB78D63976F9

http://voices.yahoo.com/98-fish-sold-us-not-inspected-facts-need-5927346.html?cat=5

http://monroe360.com/bookmark/17084924-USDA-proposes-to-close-two-local-offices

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23282496/ns/...ns-meat-safety/

http://thepumphandle.wordpress.com/2008/02/25/usda-inspectors-cant-keep-up/

#2850686 - 06/13/12 09:33 PM Re: USDA Supporting Deer Breeders [Re: Diehard Hunter]
eightpointer
14 Point

I'm not for this myself but my point is just that..its going to happen. The USDA can't stop free enterprise...all they can do is try to regulate for humane handling issues and for food safety issues.
#2850690 - 06/13/12 09:41 PM Re: USDA Supporting Deer Breeders [Re: eightpointer]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: eightpointer
I'm not for this myself but my point is just that..its going to happen. The USDA can't stop free enterprise...all they can do is try to regulate for humane handling issues and for food safety issues.

But, they don't have to be a party to the assault. They could have evened out the regulations.

I sat in on the conference call last Friday when the new proposed regs were first rolled out. I heard the dismay in the voices of wildlife professionals across the country when they were hit with this mess. The USDA ignored a great many of the concerns that the AFWA (Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies) had documented in their position paper back in 2009. To say these regulations are overly friendly to the deer breeding industry is an understatement.

#2850766 - 06/14/12 03:57 AM Re: USDA Supporting Deer Breeders [Re: scn]
eightpointer
14 Point

I agree completely. That is very much like the regs for the poultry industry are very industry friendly. Its sad but its politics.
#2852051 - 06/15/12 09:06 PM Re: USDA Supporting Deer Breeders [Re: Monty]
deerslayeror2
6 Point

Loc: knox

horse meat is coming to tn i heard middle tn
#2852052 - 06/15/12 09:06 PM Re: USDA Supporting Deer Breeders [Re: Monty]
deerslayeror2
6 Point

Loc: knox

#2852114 - 06/16/12 01:07 AM Re: USDA Supporting Deer Breeders [Re: deerslayeror2]
Monty
6 Point

Loc: Bedford Co.

Originally Posted By: deerslayeror2

I'm sorry, but I don't see the connection between horse meat and the USDA's proposed rules for cervids.

#2853704 - 06/18/12 09:39 PM Re: USDA Supporting Deer Breeders [Re: Monty]
Monty
6 Point

Loc: Bedford Co.

I sent the following this evening. Don't expect it to do one bit of good, but I felt it necessary to express my concerns to the USDA bureaucrats!

Dear Sir or Madam:

I submit this comment regarding the USDA’s proposed Interim final rule entitled Chronic Wasting disease Herd Certification Program and Interstate Movement of Farmed or Captive Deer, Elk, and Moose. The purpose of the final rule is to establish administrative procedures …that will establish a herd certification program to control chronic wasting disease (CWD) in farmed or captive cervids in the United States.

The supposition that the proposed rules will, in fact, control CWD in these herds is problematic and an assumption not based in fact considering the continuing spread of CWD in captive and wild deer and elk herds.

The rules assume that every breeder, owner, operator, employee, and others associated with captive cervids will follow the rules and thereby perhaps minimize the appreciable risks of spreading CWD to other animals in captive and wild herds. However, history clearly indicates that such hopes are in vain, and the consequences of poor enforcement by various federal and state agriculture agencies has resulted in the continuing spread of CWD within the industry and, worse yet, infecting wild deer herds in a growing number of states.

The costs associated with addressing the spread of CWD already has reached easily into the millions of taxpayers’ dollars and unmitigated loss of recreational opportunities by sportsmen and other outdoor enthusiasts. There is ample information contained in a plethora of published materials covering the costs and other adverse impacts of CWD to clearly substantiate this concern.

The USDA’s recent budget cuts and the denial of funds to help defray the substantial costs of combating the continuing spread of CWD into wild herds and cleaning up infected captive cervid facilities and herds is distressing. When these cuts are coupled with already deficient enforcement capabilities, this already questionable approach to support the captive cervid industry raises even further concerns about the USDA’s intentions and effectiveness in minimizing the spread of CWD.

Given the existing and proposed likely further budget cuts in both federal and many states’ agriculture departments, it is wishful thinking that these industry-friendly rules will be enforced by any government entity that is actually charged with enforcement responsibilities stemming from these rules. There is little, if any reason to believe that the industry will self-regulate itself or voluntarily comply with the proposed rules.

The proposed rules are, in effect, unenforceable considering budgetary and staffing constraints, and the lack of solid enforcement will contribute (with a high degree of certainty based on history) to the spread of CWD.

For these reasons, I strongly oppose the proposed rules.

#2853708 - 06/18/12 09:43 PM Re: USDA Supporting Deer Breeders [Re: Monty]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Grest explanation of the truth Monty. I can only hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears. Thanks for sharing.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
15 registered (tn droptine, HogHvn, Daniel n, MUP, Prowler, Beekeeper, 4 invisible) and 59 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93343 Topics
1089912 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.094 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.