Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#2845552 - 06/06/12 09:19 AM Money saving tips
LB FANATIC
6 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Wanted to start this thread to see what other ideas everyone has to save some green.
Here are a few of mine.
Shop Goodwill - good for used clothes and misc items. Wed and Sunday are $1 sale on clothes, sometimes you can find brand new items. First Sat of month its half off on everything in store.

Toothpaste - after my wife wont use the tube anymore, I flatten the tubes down as tight as possible, then cut the tube open completely. I can usually get about a weeks more use out of it.

Tires - I usually buy used tires off CL or the like, attempting to find an unused spare someone has left over in near perfect shape. Usually can find these for $30 - $50 each. Im obviously not worried about them matching perfectly, and of course these must be safe for use. (I do usually buy the family vehicles new sets though, on sale through costco)

Costco Membership - (Sams is prob sim) I go ahead and spring every year for the Costco membership that pays a % back on purchases. As I commute an hour each way every day, my gas costs are pretty high. Sometimes the gas is cheaper here, sometimes not (I shop the price before going out just for gas) But on the year, the payback more than pays for the membership. Also buying some of the everyday items will save you overall, though it is in bulk.

TnDeer thoughts/comments ?

#2847677 - 06/09/12 11:41 PM Re: Money saving tips [Re: LB FANATIC]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Spend less money than you make. Save the money you dont spend. Sign up for Mint.com. Read Dave Ramseys book. One day you will need your saved money and you will be glad you have it. ;\)

#2847764 - 06/10/12 08:13 AM Re: Money saving tips [Re: LB FANATIC]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: LB FANATIC
As I commute an hour each way every day, my gas costs are pretty high. Sometimes the gas is cheaper here, sometimes not (I shop the price before going out just for gas)

i go out of my way to buy pure gas. the increased milage and no repairs from ethanol poisoning makes up the difference in cost.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#2847923 - 06/10/12 12:44 PM Re: Money saving tips [Re: stik]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: stik
As I commute an hour each way every day, my gas costs are pretty high. Sometimes the gas is cheaper here, sometimes not (I shop the price before going out just for gas)

i go out of my way to buy pure gas. the increased milage and no repairs from ethanol poisoning makes up the difference in cost.

Good idea depending on your vehicle and how much more expensive the gas is. Around my house pure gas is near 50 cents more per gallon.

#2849649 - 06/12/12 03:24 PM Re: Money saving tips [Re: stik]
LB FANATIC
6 Point

Originally Posted By: stik

What is yor differrence in mileage using pure gas ? Cost here is almost 75 cents a gallon more. (Nashville)

#2849652 - 06/12/12 03:27 PM Re: Money saving tips [Re: trealtree]
LB FANATIC
6 Point

Originally Posted By: trealtree
Spend less money than you make. Save the money you dont spend. Sign up for Mint.com. Read Dave Ramseys book. One day you will need your saved money and you will be glad you have it. ;\)

Thanks Trealtree, been on Daves plan for a while now, without knowing daves plan. Im fully Debt free (except house which should be in the next 10 yrs or less hopefully) Hard to make progress on the emergency fund though..

Edited by LB FANATIC (06/12/12 03:28 PM)

#2864548 - 07/02/12 12:48 PM Re: Money saving tips [Re: LB FANATIC]
JFields101
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

This has to do with saving money and deer hunting. Process your own deer. I know alot of people say they don't have the room or place to do it. But, ask around to your buddies. I would say most people who hunt know someone or somewhere they can cut a deer up. This accomplishes many things. You save money, YOU know what deer your getting back, you can cut it more to your liking, and it makes you a better prepared outdoorsman/woman. The list of pros are endless. If you purchase a grinder the couple hundred dollars you spend will more than pay for itself in 2 years of killing 3 or more deer. We now do everything; grind, snack sticks, summer sausage and jerky. The only thing I'll turn into a processor is enough to make some bologna. We do all this out of my friends house! It can be done, and the money we save is amazing. All this providing you kill a few deer a year. If your harvesting 1-2 a year the money saved won't be as big of an issue, but the peace of mind and feeling of accomplishment is no less there!

Edited by JFields101 (07/02/12 12:51 PM)

Bucks and ducks, racks and quacks...

#2973790 - 10/09/12 03:40 AM Re: Money saving tips [Re: JFields101]
BIGB
6 Point

Loc: TN.

I like to grow a garden, make soups and chili out of leftovers and turn the lights off, lower the thermastat and put quilts on the beds. I suscribe to some self suffcient type magazines and find loads helpful ideas. If you buy a boat get a four stroke engine.
#2974222 - 10/09/12 11:04 AM Re: Money saving tips [Re: BIGB]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

skip the gimmicks and expensive doo dads.

Buy ONE set of QUALITY outer wear. The Cabelas Mto50 is probably the best, the silent suede is also excellent for half the cost.

Buy off brand fleece for layers under your outerwear.
Skip the $$$$$ underarmour and buy generic compression shirts/pants with the antibacterial lining. You can find it on sale in weird colors at sporting goods stores. Who cares you are going to be wearing a camo layer over top anyway.

Buy QUALITY wool socks. They will last 3x as long and keep you 4x dryer than the cheapo cotton blends.

#2975205 - 10/10/12 01:05 AM Re: Money saving tips [Re: fishboy1]
Wells Taxidermy
4 Point

Loc: Millington,TN

I mount my own trophies. but its really not as big of a money saver.

Edited by Wells Taxidermy (10/10/12 01:07 AM)

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
88 registered (PinchPoint, Tennessee Lead, Remington742, Mr.Bro, UTGrad, Nealmeally, 9 invisible) and 139 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89291 Topics
1044282 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.265 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.