Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2831986 - 05/18/12 09:29 AM Toby strikes again! Airgun spring squirrel hunting
Atchman2
4 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Today I have a meeting at noon, so I was still at the house. Every morning I have the same ritual. Help get my son Moses ready for school, let the dogs out, feed the dogs (and the stupid cat),let them back in for awhile, then take them back out again after their food settles to prevent accidents. When I let the dogs out this morning I walked down by the fence and looked into the woodlot behind my house. It was swarming with squirrels of all sizes!

The MS has been messing with me a lot this week, so I took some ibuprofen and went back to bed resolving when I woke back up I was going to take Toby the Wonder Pup squirrel hunting this morning. As the wife was leaving for work I got up, put on my camo pants, the big camo hat my oldest daughter Chrissy gave me (helps a lot with ticks!), grabbed the Disco off the porch, my hunting seat, and yelled "squirrel" for Toby. That is what I'm teaching him to use to indicate we are going hunting, not to the bathroom or playing. Floppy ears and all he came bouncing across the room with those high energy puppy eyes beaming.

I opened the gate to the lowlands and Toby started to hunt. I'd already saw one down there on a log but somehow got a pellet into the Disco backwards, so I shot it out running the squirrel off. \:\( I didn't think he would hear it, but he must have heard me near the gate.

I reloaded the rifle; correctly this time, setup my stool and started to wait. Within 5 minutes I see a skinny tail moving through the trees. He wouldn't pause so I just followed him with my eyes. Toby starts rooting around the bottom of another tree, and another skinny tail bursts forth. Again moving too fast, and too much foliage for a shot. As he moves to another tree, I see the top wiggle a bit. Sure enough a big ole buck squirrel was startled by the attention he was getting from Toby and started moving towards this big hollow tree behind the neighbors.

Getting up from my stool, I flipped the safety to fire and moved to intercept him. I knew he had to go across some dead limbs to get to that tree so I just waited with the gun up in the air. Sure enough here he came! Toby was getting excited and he heard him and froze. He tried to avoid me by lying flat but it turns out I'm a darned decent shot on squirrels honed by over 40 years of taking them out. \:D He was about 30 yards away I'd guess. He was way up in the tree I'm guessing 40 feet off the ground, but I could see enough of his head for the shot. Not sure what power the scope was on, but after getting through that brush I was more than a little shakey. I just calmed down, took a breath and THWACK! That great sound when you KNOW you hit him in the head! ;\) He curled up on the limb, hung for a brief second and fell. Now here is the bad part. My neighbors throw all their brush near this tree and I could hear him plummet through it all. \:\(

As he fell though, Toby took off like a BOLT! He must have saw it fall. Trying to get through the thick foliage and poison ivy I lost track of where it was. As I got there, I could see a bunch more squirrels bailing into the big tree, so Toby was already trying to hunt again. I figured we'd lost it and I whistled to him and gave up. \:\( I thought surely he would find it and bring it to me.

Well we went back to the house. I stopped down on the pallet I use for night hunting hoping for another squirrel. I told Toby "squirrel!" and off he went, this time as fast as his legs would go. Well, being a puppy he has been known to disobey at times and I figured I was going to have to go find him. I whistled and here he came through the brush. I wasn't really paying attention as I was scanning for any squirrels he may have panicked. I turned around to reward him for coming back and he drops the squirrel at my feet! \:D I was so proud of him! He had ran the 60 or 70 yards back down to the tree, picked up the squirrel and brought it back to me! Good boy! Not sure why he didn't get it before, but I'm guessing it was because there were other squirrels in the area and he was looking at them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4bllm0njzo#
Toby and His Squirrel (41 second video)

Good boy Toby!

He is posing with the Disco. Oh BTW, I've taken two shots at squirrels with the .22 Benjamin Discovery and hit both times. 8)

Dang it dad that is MY squirrel! Give it back! :P

#2832461 - 05/18/12 09:52 PM Re: Toby strikes again! Airgun spring squirrel hunting [Re: Atchman2]
FOX FIRE
8 Point

Loc: Mt. Eagle

Toby's a handsome little dog aint he ?? looks like he's very curious, & thats a good thing for a hunt'n dog in my book.

Good write up, lotta fun.

#2832529 - 05/19/12 12:08 AM Re: Toby strikes again! Airgun spring squirrel hunting [Re: FOX FIRE]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

cool

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
128 registered (Kingston, TN RDG RNR, Bucket, Football Hunter, bigasports, fairchaser, 16 invisible) and 195 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
93967 Topics
1097694 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.127 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.