Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#2832496 - 05/18/12 11:10 PM Re: yesterdays First! (poult)...How old? [Re: timberjack86]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I think the weather must have affected each flock or area of birds differently. Gobbling was good in maury throughout the season.

#2832786 - 05/19/12 11:30 AM Re: yesterdays First! (poult)...How old? [Re: catman529]
sure shot
8 Point

Loc: robertson,co TN

i have to agree with charlie and setterman on this one

#2832977 - 05/19/12 05:53 PM Re: yesterdays First! (poult)...How old? [Re: Good time Charlie]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Good time Charlie
The warm up had little to do with the breeding

I respectfully disagree with this and although I dont have the formal educational background to back it up,I do have several years of hunting experience to go on. Warm weather early makes for earlier breeding cycle which in turn makes hunting better earlier in season. Downside to this is that hunting is worse later. I think most anyone that spent considerable time in the woods this year would have to agree........

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P

#2833109 - 05/19/12 08:28 PM Re: yesterdays First! (poult)...How old? [Re: Roost 1]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

the warm up had something to do with it i think everyone can agree with that, however to what extent is debatable. IMO it did not have the full extent some do but thats just my opinion with a background it in and years of hunting experience...HOWEVER I think each area will have different levels of effects.

I was in the wood everyday starting 1 week prior to juvi all the way till the 3rd week of season and i mean every day. From a gobbling stand point i didnt see much of a difference however i did see range shift much earlier then normal in the areas i hunt. This reason may be why some saw a gobbling change, where the actual gobbling was good but the birds were in areas they normally were not in till later in the season.

as a whole i dont think it brought on breeding early (again as a whole) but without a doubt the early green up had an effect on birds range and movement.

having said all that, its just my opinion based on the knowledge i have learned from personal field work over the past 15 years BUT everyone has an opinion and mother nature always has a trick up her sleeve that will prove all knowledge wrong on any given day.

John 3:16

#2833138 - 05/19/12 09:04 PM Re: yesterdays First! (poult)...How old? [Re: REN]
Roost 1
10 Point

content Online
If the unusually warm weather (85 degress in March) did not affect breeding then how can we explain poults being hatched 3rd week of April as some have witnessed??? I know the "experts" say the length of day triggers the breeding cycle which may be mostly true but I firmly believe warm temps play a part also. Maybe the change in foliage has something to do it, I dont know.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P

#2833143 - 05/19/12 09:07 PM Re: yesterdays First! (poult)...How old? [Re: Roost 1]
Roost 1
10 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Roost 1
If the unusually warm weather (85 degress in March) did not affect breeding then how can we explain poults being hatched 3rd week of April as some have witnessed??? I know the "experts" say the length of day triggers the breeding cycle which may be mostly true but I firmly believe warm temps play a part also. Maybe the change in foliage has something to do it, I dont know.

Of course I am referring the the areas I hunt which may be different than others.Temps changes in Mid-Tn are prolly always a little ahead of us here in KY.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P

#2833166 - 05/19/12 09:32 PM Re: yesterdays First! (poult)...How old? [Re: Roost 1]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Of course I am referring the the areas I hunt which may be different than others.Temps changes in Mid-Tn are prolly always a little ahead of us here in KY.

Something was definitely screwy this year. I saw poults the earliest I have ever seen poults, and having spent the bulk of my time in Southern Miss that is is saying something.

I am wondering if the early green up played the larger role, but that somewhat doesn't make sense. The clutches I saw were large, which means that hens didn't jump the gun and start setting early because the woods greened up. Something else triggered it.

I do know a ton of well known turkey folks are seriously reconsidering their opinions, but one year which was freakish will be hard to make an across the board opinion change.

All I do know, is that I heard as much gobbling as I have ever heard, but the birds were strange this year.

#2833359 - 05/20/12 09:23 AM Re: yesterdays First! (poult)...How old? [Re: Setterman]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Was helping a land owner out Friday in Cumberland county with some hogs and came across two seperate hens with poults. Each had probably 8 to 10 a piece. First group were grouse sized and flew off together, second bunch were right at two weeks old and momma lead them off(dogs never messed with them). Sorry, I'm a bit old fashion and don't carry a cell phone with me every where I go, so there are no pics. Heard 3 different turkeys gobbling from daylight till about 9:30. Was driving me crazy and told the landowner I wasn't coming back until they stopped. \:D Landowner showed me where hogs had gotten two other nests.
#2833361 - 05/20/12 09:26 AM Re: yesterdays First! (poult)...How old? [Re: ]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Good stuff curdogtn, thanks for sharing.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14, woodie
13110 Registered Users
Who's Online
91 registered (thehoytman, G8rntn, vonhogslayer, Sting, HDUKE1986, rustyloafer, 9 invisible) and 93 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13110 Members
42 Forums
89113 Topics
1042237 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.226 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.