Tndeer Logo

Page all of 7 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2827320 - 05/12/12 07:37 PM Looky what I found...
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

This would be the earliest I have ever seen a poult, and I don't have to admit this but I will, just to show I am fair. I actually saw another group of poults before this that were about the size of a grouse, all 10 of them flew up in the trees around me as mom tried to distract.

Interesting to say the least, and I was stunned on the first bunch, and just slightly surprised with this second clutch. All this ones siblings bolted into a rose bush, this one got confused and ran literally up to my feet, squatted down in the grass and looked up at me like I was it's mother. When I crouched down to take its picture, I let it know I killed it's father. Keeps them in line for the future.

BTW, it is possible to get pictures for those who can't do as much ;\)

#2827329 - 05/12/12 07:45 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

\:o

#2827335 - 05/12/12 07:48 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: timberjack86]
sure shot
8 Point

Loc: robertson,co TN

that is awesome,my dads tame ones just hatched last week.

#2827341 - 05/12/12 07:53 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

content Online

Just how old do they have to be before they can fly up to roost? Always wondered that.

#2827345 - 05/12/12 07:55 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Gravey]
timberjack86
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Gravey

Just how old do they have to be before they can fly up to roost? Always wondered that.
Correct me if I am wrong,I think I read somewhere around 4 weeks old.

#2827348 - 05/12/12 07:58 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Gravey]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Gravey

2 weeks is a good bet, the ones I saw today were probably 3 weeks old which is utterly shocking to someone like me who has spent years monitoring nests, and turkeys to try and get an accurate gauge as to hatch dates.

I said a few weeks ago it was almost impossible to have birds hatching before the end of April. Well today shot that theory, and the opinions of a bunch of other folks like me.

Nature is a funny fickle thing, and certainly throws curve balls every now and then. I could have gotten pictures of the first clutch of older birds, but they were pretty nervous and I didn't want to stress them anymore than I already had.

#2827358 - 05/12/12 08:07 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

I saw 3 poults today. Earliest I have seen, they were getting around very well.

#2827378 - 05/12/12 08:28 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: smstone22]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Good hard data right there, and good pic as well. Thanks for sharing Setterman.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#2827506 - 05/12/12 11:45 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

Although right this minute looking outside isn't the greatest measure, we might just have an amazing hatch this year (insert fist pump here). 2 years from now could be a super gobbling year with all these great poult reports. Early spring, pretty dry, and crazy warm...gotta love Ma Nature.

Great photo of the little booger!

#2827508 - 05/13/12 12:05 AM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Boll Weevil]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

too bad it didn't have a beard ;\)

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#2827618 - 05/13/12 08:14 AM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: stik]
Good time Charlie
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Tazewell

They can fly to roost when they are 8 days old ..they grow very fast.
If a clutch is destroyed by predators ..the hen has enough sperm stored for another clutch
I should be getting Pics. very soon.

#2827647 - 05/13/12 08:54 AM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Good time Charlie]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

content Online
Thanks for the flying info. Great pic too.

#2827750 - 05/13/12 11:56 AM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Setterman
2 weeks is a good bet, the ones I saw today were probably 3 weeks old which is utterly shocking to someone like me who has spent years monitoring nests, and turkeys to try and get an accurate gauge as to hatch dates.

I said a few weeks ago it was almost impossible to have birds hatching before the end of April. Well today shot that theory, and the opinions of a bunch of other folks like me.

Nature is a funny fickle thing, and certainly throws curve balls every now and then. I could have gotten pictures of the first clutch of older birds, but they were pretty nervous and I didn't want to stress them anymore than I already had.

Well I guess the ones that "didn't have picture proof" could have been right all along then huh.... Not everyone has to have a degree, college education, or be a biologist to know what they were talking about.

I believe some apologies are in order as well. If nothing more than to acknowledge they may have been correct after all.

Reminds me of a story once told by an older man with a High School and real-world experience education.... was being told something by a College Educated fellow that thought he knew all because the "books" said so.... Well the older man proved his point and wound up a costly mistake for the "educated" fellow.... Older guy said to use that piece of paper, with "degree" printed on it as toilet paper next time he had to go.

Your compassion is a weakness your enemies will not share.

#2827767 - 05/13/12 12:44 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

Thanks for sharing the info setterman. I still say peak breeding was over here by time season opened. The first weekend was good and then it was like a switch flipped and it was over.

Edited by muddyboots (05/13/12 12:45 PM)

#2827774 - 05/13/12 12:55 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: muddyboots]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Originally Posted By: muddyboots
Thanks for sharing the info setterman. I still say peak breeding was over here by time season opened. The first weekend was good and then it was like a switch flipped and it was over.

Been that way here in my area for the last 3 weeks or more....

#2827781 - 05/13/12 01:11 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Plateau

So, they weren't lying after all?
#2827850 - 05/13/12 03:44 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: stik]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

cool

#2827867 - 05/13/12 04:29 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Grizzly Johnson

Well I guess the ones that "didn't have picture proof" could have been right all along then huh.... Not everyone has to have a degree, college education, or be a biologist to know what they were talking about.

I believe some apologies are in order as well. If nothing more than to acknowledge they may have been correct after all.

Reminds me of a story once told by an older man with a High School and real-world experience education.... was being told something by a College Educated fellow that thought he knew all because the "books" said so.... Well the older man proved his point and wound up a costly mistake for the "educated" fellow.... Older guy said to use that piece of paper, with "degree" printed on it as toilet paper next time he had to go.

Guess what, my learning didn't come from books it came from actual work in the field.

And guess what when I see pics I will apologize. It was certainly easy enough for me to snap a pic as well as several others I have seen around the last few days.

No proof, no apology.

As I said then, anything is possible, go back and read. Anything is possible but without some sort of proof I will always be skeptical. There are so many people pushing agendas on these forums anymore that without hard evidence I question everything. Sorry, just my nature.

#2827869 - 05/13/12 04:30 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: VolDoug]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: VolDoug
So, they weren't lying after all?

I know you accounting types are slow with the written word, because of the letters, but please go back and find where I used the word lie or lying. I will be waiting....

#2827872 - 05/13/12 04:38 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
timberjack86
14 Point

Guess what, my learning didn't come from books it came from actual work in the field.

And guess what when I see pics I will apologize. It was certainly easy enough for me to snap a pic as well as several others I have seen around the last few days.

No proof, no apology.

As I said then, anything is possible, go back and read. Anything is possible but without some sort of proof I will always be skeptical. There are so many people pushing agendas on these forums anymore that without hard evidence I question everything. Sorry, just my nature.
So the moral to this story is you can be who want to be on the internet ;\) I am thinking about reinventing myself,but educated arm chair biologist is already taken.Dang!

#2827875 - 05/13/12 04:46 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: timberjack86]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: timberjack86

No proof, no apology.

So the moral to this story is you can be who want to be on the internet ;\) I am thinking about reinventing myself,but educated arm chair biologist is already taken.Dang!

You really want to grab this bull by the horns?

Armchair biologist? I guess big game guy is an arm chair biologist as well, as well as me who has numerous degrees, done hundreds of scientific studies, and professionally manages close to 100,000 acres of private land holdings for wildlife.

What do you know, learned something today.

#2827877 - 05/13/12 04:48 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
100,000 acres and you hunt mostly public land? Just curious about that - do you prefer public land hunting over private?

#2827885 - 05/13/12 04:58 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
timberjack86
14 Point

No proof, no apology.

Armchair biologist? I guess big game guy is an arm chair biologist as well, as well as me who has numerous degrees, done hundreds of scientific studies, and professionally manages close to 100,000 acres of private land holdings for wildlife.

Haha We all know who big game guy is! You on the other hand I have no idea who you are and really could care less! For all we know you could be 45 still living at home with mama on welfare.Anyway when you come to a public talk forum acting like you know everything and your opinion is the only one that matters you can expect some backlash.

#2827887 - 05/13/12 05:01 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: catman529]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: catman529
100,000 acres and you hunt mostly public land? Just curious about that - do you prefer public land hunting over private?

I don't own or have access to that land, it is owned by clients. I have hunted some of the tracts over the years, but generally keep business separate from personal life. Plus it is all out of state for the most part. We own just shy of 5,000 acres back home, and I do hunt it though.

I love hunting public land here in tn we are blessed with great public land and I enjoy it.

#2827892 - 05/13/12 05:17 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: timberjack86]
Setterman
8 Point

No proof, no apology.

Haha We all know who big game guy is! You on the other hand I have no idea who you are and really could care less! For all we know you could be 45 still living at home with mama on welfare.Anyway when you come to a public talk forum acting like you know everything and your opinion is the only one that matters you can expect some backlash.

My opinion certainly isn't the only one that matters.

However, and I have dealt with plenty of folks like you over the years who ask for advice and when given advice just want to argue because you have a set of ideas that you believe and no matter what won't listen. Even when the other person probably is trying to help and has an incredible depth of knowledge.

I assure you I am not 45, and certainly don't live in anyone's basement. Whatever you wish to believe or feel is up to you, but in the words of BSK you just might learn something if you open your ears.

#2827893 - 05/13/12 05:17 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

No proof, no apology.

Well my reference story was not meant to be saying anything about you or anyone else in any way....

But in real life, nature can and does trump all.

#2827907 - 05/13/12 05:48 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
timberjack86
14 Point

No proof, no apology.

However, and I have dealt with plenty of folks like you over the years who ask for advice and when given advice just want to argue because you have a set of ideas that you believe and no matter what won't listen. Even when the other person probably is trying to help and has an incredible depth of knowledge.

I assure you I am not 45, and certainly don't live in anyone's basement. Whatever you wish to believe or feel is up to you, but in the words of BSK you just might learn something if you open your ears.
Well let me assure you, The only thing you seem to offer is your opinion that your right and everyone else is wrong.Seems to me the only thing I have learned from you is how to get an ego boost.If thats the only thing you can offer I dont blame anyone for not opening there ears when you speak.

#2827908 - 05/13/12 05:52 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Setterman
8 Point

No proof, no apology.

Well my reference story was not meant to be saying anything about you or anyone else in any way....

But in real life, nature can and does trump all.

Absolutely agree, I see things often which go against the grain.

#2827910 - 05/13/12 06:01 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: timberjack86]
Setterman
8 Point

No proof, no apology.

Well let me assure you, The only thing you seem to offer is your opinion that your right and everyone else is wrong.Seems to me the only thing I have learned from you is how to get an ego boost.If thats the only thing you can offer I dont blame anyone for not opening there ears when you speak.

If you were right than I would post pictures of every giant deer I have killed, and every turkey, fish etc etc. However, I am not out for any ego stroking, could give two rips what folks think of me honestly.

I am just not going to let uneducated drivel regarding turkeys to be spewed without correcting the mistatements.

If it makes you feel better to stomp your feet and scream in protest have at it.

There are plenty of others who think just like you, and think that a few days hunting each year makes you wise. Which couldn't be further from reality.

#2827920 - 05/13/12 06:13 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: stik]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

I swear Some people try to find crap to argue about.
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#2827939 - 05/13/12 06:32 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Rockhound]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Rockhound
I swear Some people try to find crap to argue about.

Agree, and unfortunately I will stoop to that level nd have probably done a fair share in my life as well.

I could and should have refrained from posting the picture, then this argument wouldn't have happened. And this is the exact reason I rarely if ever post pictures

Edited by Setterman (05/13/12 06:33 PM)

#2827967 - 05/13/12 07:13 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
timberjack86
14 Point

[/quote]setterman

If you were right than I would post pictures of every giant deer I have killed, and every turkey, fish etc etc. However, I am not out for any ego stroking, could give two rips what folks think of me honestly.

I am just not going to let uneducated drivel regarding turkeys to be spewed without correcting the mistatements.

If it makes you feel better to stomp your feet and scream in protest have at it.

There are plenty of others who think just like you, and think that a few days hunting each year makes you wise. Which couldn't be further from reality.

[/quote]
[
[*] There you go again,proclaiming your intelligence over everyone else.How do you know how many days I spend hunting?I am done with this useless dribble. But I do have a question to ask before I go. How many turkey have you missed in you lifetime? ;\)

Edited by timberjack86 (05/13/12 07:14 PM)

#2827974 - 05/13/12 07:22 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

I could and should have refrained from posting the picture, then this argument wouldn't have happened. And this is the exact reason I rarely if ever post pictures

But I am glad you did, as it is proof positive, that things got started way earlier this spring than in years past.

#2828005 - 05/13/12 07:58 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Setterman
8 Point

But I am glad you did, as it is proof positive, that things got started way earlier this spring than in years past.

This was the weirdest year I have ever had, I am still confused by the behavior I witnessed the past 7 weeks.

All I know is that I hope next year it is nothing like this past winter/early spring.

#2828083 - 05/13/12 09:25 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: ]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: tndrbstr

\:D \:D \:D

Your so full of crap! I bet the grass grows greener every where you walk!! LOL,... You have got to be one the most delusional narcissistic and biggest pathalogicl liars that has EVER been on this site in my opinion....

but don't mind me doctor,...I'm just passin thru!! \:D \:D \:D
and remember,...you have a major deer study that is coming to fruitation in the pretty near future. Don't forget the pics on that one ok... ;\)

\:D \:D \:D \:D

You think posting the gay smiley things will let you make personal attacks at will? Guess so, and I will for once rise above your level. Send me a PM and we can handle this off the open forum, unless you are too timid to actually do something out of the public eye.

#2828097 - 05/13/12 09:37 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: ]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: tndrbstr
Hey I gave my opinion...I reckon I'm intitled to aint I ?.... \:\)

Sure, I am sure that makes your life complete. Based on the above I would say life is pretty depressing around the trailer park.

#2828102 - 05/13/12 09:45 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: ]
RAFI
10 Point

Loc: Tn

hook i dont have a bio degree like you but didnt i tell you a few years ago that the 4 turkey limit wasnt the prob with the lower harvest and that twra wasnt complete idiots compared to kentucky when it involved deer?seems i was right on both of those.i tried to stay out of this poult debate.but hey I respect that you later admit you were wrong but like Ive told you before sometimes you should listen to people on here when they speak rather than your own self all the time

Edited by RAFI (05/13/12 09:47 PM)

#2828129 - 05/13/12 10:17 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: catman529

I don't own or have access to that land, it is owned by clients. I have hunted some of the tracts over the years, but generally keep business separate from personal life. Plus it is all out of state for the most part. We own just shy of 5,000 acres back home, and I do hunt it though.

I love hunting public land here in tn we are blessed with great public land and I enjoy it.
Yep the public land I have found has been good. Yanahli is great in that there are no ATV's allowed, as I saw your complaints about hunters running ATVs and calling birds into silence. Yanahli does go pretty quiet late in the season but is great hunting for the first half at least.

#2828570 - 05/14/12 12:08 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
LSUtigers
8 Point

Loc: East TN

Yea kinda reminds me about a post I had on here about that time about poults on ground and everybody thought i wuz crazy or smokin something LOL
#2828575 - 05/14/12 12:17 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: LSUtigers]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

content Online

John 3:16

#2828590 - 05/14/12 12:34 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: REN]
LSUtigers
8 Point

Loc: East TN

LOL
#2830400 - 05/16/12 01:04 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: ]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
Opinions are like......elbows-everybody has a couple. Mine are certainly worth no more than anybody elses.

But, for some of the newbies that haven't been through some of the TNDeer pissing contests, when Setterman talks turkey-I listen and learn. I've had enough offline conversations with him to know that he knows a heck of a lot more about those birds (and especially hunting them) than I do.

Some that have been around likely remember some of the online battles I had with Setterman in former TNDeer lives. To his credit he took a step back and publically said that he realized TWRA wasn't the enenemy. While he and I may not agree on everything, we have learned to agree to disagree. I have found him to be knowledgeable across the board on wildlife issues.

We have a number of folks on here that have wildlife degrees and wildlife backgrounds that don't work for a state agency. That certainly doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about. I listen when they speak.

If you'll continue to talk turkey with us, Jim, I'll continue to listen. The picture was great and confirmed what I am hearing from several hunters about very early breeding this year (and some VERY late nesting last year).

#2830421 - 05/16/12 01:35 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: scn]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Originally Posted By: scn
..... (and some VERY late nesting last year).
This picture was taken July 12, 2011 in Humphreys County.

Edited by Andy S. (05/16/12 01:38 PM)

#2830440 - 05/16/12 01:58 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Andy S.]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Being educated on a subject does not make being a complete a-hole ok! I dont care if you know everything there is to know about something, acting like your better than everyone else is pure ignorance any way you cut it! Especially when you just proved yourself wrong and still wont admit you acted like an idiot!
#2830499 - 05/16/12 03:20 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Winchester]
SEC
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Winchester
Being educated on a subject does not make being a complete a-hole ok! I dont care if you know everything there is to know about something, acting like your better than everyone else is pure ignorance any way you cut it! Especially when you just proved yourself wrong and still wont admit you acted like an idiot!
No better words have ever been spoken.

#2830530 - 05/16/12 04:01 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Winchester]
Setterman
8 Point

If you think that was being an a hole, than I would hate to actually be an a hole. It might stun some folks, and cause some amazing reactions.

I certainly don't think I am better than anyone, and do not conduct myself in that manner on a daily basis.

I personally think some on here are just extremely sensitive, and cannot handle someone that disagrees with them, or might have a very broad base of knowledge on a subject. I have seen this same reaction to BSK and others who are very knowledgable, so I take it with a grain of salt.

The jury is still out on what/when occurred this past breeding period. Sure some hens did in fact breed early, but did all? Who knows at this point, and we won't know for a few weeks or even months.

I am most certainly not the only one who came to the table with this opinion, and most certainly was not the most outspoken when it came to this issue earlier this spring. If you think my words were a-holish than I would enjoy the reactions to some others who are more blunt than myself.

Go take a look at the musings of one of my classmates who posts under the heading of hitch on the ky hunting forum. He makes me look tame, and makes my knowledge base look trivial.

IMO, throwing around personal insults and attacks is the work of an insecure individual, and a person who bases their knowledge on knee jerk reactions or what they experience in their own microcosm.

#2830562 - 05/16/12 04:40 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
RAFI
10 Point

you just dont understand how you talk to people and when they tell you how you do you insult them.as for hitch on ky i always thought that was you bc he talks to people like hes better also.kind of an aka bigwes deal
#2830563 - 05/16/12 04:40 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Andy S.]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Andy S.
 Originally Posted By: scn
..... (and some VERY late nesting last year).
This picture was taken July 12, 2011 in Humphreys County.

Andy, I'm not sure we didn't have some bird nest even later than that. I have heard of some birds seen this season that were the size of a late summer poult. The floods definately changed some things around down this way.

Thanks for the neat picture!

#2830583 - 05/16/12 05:00 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: stik]
BowGuy84
10 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN and Louisville, ...

I thought hitch and setter were one in the same too...

Interesting year that is for sure.

Very few people like the taste of crow. Some deal with the eating of it better than others

#2830609 - 05/16/12 05:50 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: RAFI]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: RAFI
you just dont understand how you talk to people and when they tell you how you do you insult them.as for hitch on ky i always thought that was you bc he talks to people like hes better also.kind of an aka bigwes deal

We got to know each other during school, and work together now, hunt together back home, and talk daily. He's a good cat, just intolerant of what he refers to as redneck idiocy. Which is quite a statement for someone from extreme southern miss, and who grew up in a trailer. We come from much different childhoods.

#2830611 - 05/16/12 05:53 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: BowGuy84]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: BowGuy84

Very few people like the taste of crow. Some deal with the eating of it better than others

I bellied up and ate mine with regards to the 4 bird and the deer mgt.

I will certainly belly up and gorge myself on fried crow.

You can point your whining elsewhere.

#2830635 - 05/16/12 06:24 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
hayman
4 Point

Loc: paris tn

It looks like a quail to me
#2830652 - 05/16/12 06:48 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: hayman]
RAFI
10 Point

you are hard to read setterman. just when I think your an azz you are humble.you remind me of tred barta .i would still like to hang out and talk with you since we live so close together.we both might learn a few things
#2830680 - 05/16/12 07:59 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: RAFI]
Setterman
8 Point

you are hard to read setterman. just when I think your an azz you are humble.you remind me of tred barta .i would still like to hang out and talk with you since we live so close together.we both might learn a few things

Anytime, just let me know.

I am not at all what most would think.

#2830683 - 05/16/12 08:01 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: hayman]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: hayman
It looks like a quail to me

Considering it was part of a clutch that was with a hen turkey, and it isn't the first turkey poult I have seen, I am 100% confident what I photographed is a turkey poult.

#2830688 - 05/16/12 08:13 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
RAFI
10 Point

Anytime, just let me know.

I am not at all what most would think.

well you name the time and place and we will meet.I will buy you a beer and we can talk.We should both have free time now that turkey season is done.I need another reason to get on the bashing list on TnDeer and hanging out with you should put me there pm me so the haters dont show up \:D

Edited by RAFI (05/16/12 08:14 PM)

#2830690 - 05/16/12 08:15 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
BowGuy84
10 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN and Louisville, ...

Originally Posted By: BowGuy84

I bellied up and ate mine with regards to the 4 bird and the deer mgt.

I will certainly belly up and gorge myself on fried crow.

You can point your whining elsewhere.

Not whining. Killed my 2 in 3 serious hunts just like the year before.

#2831079 - 05/17/12 10:03 AM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: BowGuy84]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Quote:
IMO, throwing around personal insults and attacks is the work of an insecure individual, and a person who bases their knowledge on knee jerk reactions or what they experience in their own microcosm.

Exactly right,seeking attn is likely the culprit here!

#2831500 - 05/17/12 05:52 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Winchester]
Setterman
8 Point

Quote:

I hope this makes sense to you, because it might be one of the dumbest statements I have read in a long time. Congratulations, I can pretty much understand now what I am dealing with, and need to simplify greatly from here forward.

#2831790 - 05/17/12 11:00 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: RAFI]
hayman
4 Point

Loc: paris tn

just playing about the quail
#2832234 - 05/18/12 04:22 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Winchester]
timberjack86
14 Point

Quote:

I think that was probably aimed at me.But I am useally good natured and get along with everyone.Setterman you do sound like you know what your talking about when you talk turkey but when you talk down to someone for asking a question or posting there observations thats where I draw the line.Alot of people will listen if you show them the respect you expect from them. And you may know turkeys but your communication skills are horrible \:D

#2835118 - 05/22/12 01:23 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Quote:

I hope this makes sense to you, because it might be one of the dumbest statements I have read in a long time. Congratulations, I can pretty much understand now what I am dealing with, and need to simplify greatly from here forward.

#2836299 - 05/23/12 09:06 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Winchester]
RecurveShooter
6 Point

Loc: West TN

I also think there was quite a bit of early breeding but the last three mornings I have seen 2 longbeards strutting for 4 hens in a field near the office so its not completely done. Its been an odd spring for sure but hopefully a good one for nesting/brood rearing with the dry and warm weather. We need some good hatch years here in West Tn to recover from several bad ones over the last few years.

Edited by RecurveShooter (05/23/12 09:07 PM)

#2836311 - 05/23/12 09:13 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: RecurveShooter]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

Originally Posted By: RecurveShooter
We need some good hatch years here in West Tn to recover from several bad ones over the last few years.

AMEN

#2838908 - 05/27/12 09:39 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Setterman]
Good time Charlie
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Tazewell

I can Post Pics of Gobblers with hens right now...and they are still gobbling.
But those of you who were seeing poults Back in March ,(just because the weather was warm)..I want what you are smoking.
They were not even nesting at that point,I think some of you auger heads need to give setterman an apology

Edited by Good time Charlie (05/27/12 09:39 PM)

#2838950 - 05/27/12 11:10 PM Re: Looky what I found... [Re: Good time Charlie]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Good time Charlie
I can Post Pics of Gobblers with hens right now...and they are still gobbling.
Post them up, let's see them. I have been getting a few reports of gobblers strutting with hens up around Nashville area.

Originally Posted By: Good time Charlie
They were not even nesting at that point
Just because hens in your area weren't nesting (to your knowledge) does not mean every hen in the state wasn't. The turkeys in your neck of the woods, or any other area for that matter, are not an indicator of what EVERY other turkey in the state (27 million acres) is doing at that instant. I can promise you that, ESPECIALLY this spring.

Page all of 7 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30, fallshollow270
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
134 registered (scn, stilllookin, Deerhunter, Mule deer, Tn_Va_Hunter, m_allison71, 10 invisible) and 167 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88848 Topics
1039366 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.299 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.