Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#2826364 - 05/11/12 08:40 AM Re: Spring Squirrel opens this weekend in TN! [Re: FOX FIRE]
Atchman2
4 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Originally Posted By: FOX FIRE
Hey Atchman, I didnt know you hung out around here, this is Applachian from TNpred,good to run into you.

Is that the Benji in the second pic ??? nice look'n rifle.

Oh yeah...what kind of dog do you have ?? I've got a little Mt Fiest that lets me live here.

I don't hang around here as much, but there are just a lot more view points over here. I've really enjoyed this forum because I've diversified my hunting to deer and turkeys and there just isn't as much help over at tnpredators.com. I'm a total noob at most hunting EXCEPT small game hunting which I've done my entire life.

The first rifle is a rare German RWS 36C. It has a stock that was refinished by one of the masters over at the GTA airgun forum. It was also tuned by Gene over there, also one of the masters of air gun tuning. It is one of those rifles you never will get rid of! It shoots GREAT! One hole out to my normal shooting range of about 35 yards. I can shoot further of course, but it is hard shooting spring air guns much further than that accurately. I don't normally use .177 guns on the bigger stuff such as possums or raccoons, but this gun will go right through their head. If a coyote or fox is stupid enough to stand still at 25 yards or below, I'm pretty sure it could take them out cleanly.

The second one is a .22 Benjamin Discovery PCP. You actually pump it up with a bicycle pump on steroids to about 2000 psi. It gets several dozen full power shots before you have to pump it up again. I put an aftermarket TKO muzzlebrake on it to quiet it down. If you don't they are nearly as loud as a .22 LR. With the brake, you can barely hear it at all making it perfect for suburban squirrel hunting. \:\) It would also take out a coyote or fox at close range. I got this gun because it has no recoil so I can mount a camera to the barrel. A spring air gun has a vicious recoil cycle that will ruin most normal scopes or cameras.

That was a picture of Toby from my game camera. He wasn't supposed to be out of the yard so he got CAUGHT! \:D

For Christmas my kiddos gave me a mutt. He looks like a cross between a terrier and a hound. Not sure what he is, but he has the energy of my Jack Russel and the voice and nose of a Beagle. I've been training him on the squirrels that live behind my house. He actually tries to climb the tree after them!He is a silly little mutt, but I think he is going to be a great rabbit and squirrel hunting dog.

Here is my son Moses, my Jack Russel "Chip", and my mutt "Toby the Wonder Pup" \:\) They were "helping" me drive the RV the other weekend. Toby started out looking like he was going to be about Jack Russel size, but he is about 5 pounds heavier than Chip, and a couple inches higher at the shoulders. One unique thing about him is his paws. His nails go down almost like a cat! He can climb more than any dog I've ever seen.

Edited by Atchman2 (05/11/12 08:48 AM)

#2826880 - 05/12/12 12:42 AM Re: Spring Squirrel opens this weekend in TN! [Re: mike243]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: mike243
catman you might want to ck but folks property normaly extend to the water,you would have a lot of folks deer hunting out of boats if that rule was true
I guess you're right, maybe the property map is a good place to look.

...since last deer season

#2826881 - 05/12/12 12:45 AM Re: Spring Squirrel opens this weekend in TN! [Re: Atchman2]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Atchman2
A spring air gun has a vicious recoil cycle that will ruin most normal scopes or cameras.
Not mine, my crosman air rifle came with a cheap scope and it's mounted tight and has been sighted in for a good while now. Close range it is dead accurate on chipmunk noggins \:D

#2827091 - 05/12/12 01:08 PM Re: Spring Squirrel opens this weekend in TN! [Re: catman529]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: catman529
A spring air gun has a vicious recoil cycle that will ruin most normal scopes or cameras.
Not mine, my crosman air rifle came with a cheap scope and it's mounted tight and has been sighted in for a good while now. Close range it is dead accurate on chipmunk noggins \:D

if it came with the gun, it is most likely an air rifle scope made for the recoil.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#2827522 - 05/13/12 12:37 AM Re: Spring Squirrel opens this weekend in TN! [Re: stik]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: stik

if it came with the gun, it is most likely an air rifle scope made for the recoil.
I guess so. It's cheap whatever it is. $80 Crosman Recruit variable pump air rifle, has a reservoir for BB's and a mag that holds 12, plus a separate clip that holds 5 pellets which I use to hunt with (rarely use BBs). Came with the scope which isn't thicker than my thumb but sure does get the job done. Only complaint is the barrel is not rifled so shot distance is limited, and it shoots a max of 680 fps so I am limited to what animals I can shoot and kill. But for small pests it is reliable. I will upgrade someday but for now it is good.

#2827778 - 05/13/12 01:05 PM Re: Spring Squirrel opens this weekend in TN! [Re: catman529]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Hey there Atchman nice pics and Disco. I have the Marauder in .22 cal with a custom James Gaska Barrel and shroud extension. That thing will stack some pellets. I love getting out with it hunting squirrels.

Catman, As for the scope Multi pump pneumatics like the one you have dont have any effect on scopes, Spring piston air rifles as atchman pointed out will pretty much destroy most scopes that are not made for spring piston air rifles.

#2827864 - 05/13/12 04:22 PM Re: Spring Squirrel opens this weekend in TN! [Re: trealtree]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Is that spring piston type of rifle powered by air pressure or an actual spring like an airsoft gun? Mine is air powered but obviously has a spring to release the air. Got me a bit confused. What about the break barrel air rifles that shoot 1200 fps?

#2828096 - 05/13/12 09:35 PM Re: Spring Squirrel opens this weekend in TN! [Re: catman529]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Is that spring piston type of rifle powered by air pressure or an actual spring like an airsoft gun? Mine is air powered but obviously has a spring to release the air. Got me a bit confused. What about the break barrel air rifles that shoot 1200 fps?

Spring Piston aka Springer's use a piston system.

It is similar to 1 stroke of a gas engine, the piston has a head and the spring is behind this head that is inside an enclosed tube, when you cock the gun it compresses the spring and piston head, when the trigger is pulled it surges forward toward the muzzle end compressing the air between your pellet and the piston pushing your pellet out and causing reverse recoil.

Instead of the recoil going backward into your shoulder like a regular powder burning gun, the recoil pushes the gun forward and then backward and piston stops just behind where the pellet was seated. This is what really messes the scopes up.

As for a multi-pump pneumatic like you have. When you pump the gun, each pump places a small amount of air in a temporary air holding chamber, similar to a compressed air tank only smaller.

When you pull the trigger there is an internal hammer that hits and depresses a pin that is inside this chamber and causes the immediate release of all the air inside this chamber into a port that is located between the end of your bolt and your pellet or BB. I hope this helps explain it. There are also many other types of air systems. Co2, Pre-Charged Pneumatic,Gas Spring,Single stroke Pneumatic,

#2828147 - 05/13/12 10:50 PM Re: Spring Squirrel opens this weekend in TN! [Re: trealtree]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Makes perfect sense to me.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
swampdonkey83, chrisp711, DEH20, tomtalker, jg12
13193 Registered Users
Who's Online
111 registered (H Moody, hunterncoach, in the dog house!, fullstream, chebuck, wskp11, 15 invisible) and 157 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13193 Members
42 Forums
91339 Topics
1067802 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.