Tndeer Logo

Page all of 7 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2819234 - 05/01/12 02:29 PM Near or Far?
Knothead
12 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Just curious.......
what is the longest and the closest distance from which you have ever taken a Tom ?

For me, the closest was 11 yds.
The longest was 72 yds. Thats right! I know you may find that hard to believe, but I did have a witness that day. Prior to that day, my longest was at 52 yds.
These were all with a Mossberg 835 UltiMag with # 5 Winchester Supremes, 3" Mag, and Jelly Head choke.

I prefer a shot at 20 to 30 yds, as that is the best pattern from my gun.

Lotta folks bad mouth the 835, but I can tell ya, it is a deadly weapon on those wary Toms!!

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”

#2819244 - 05/01/12 02:42 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Knothead]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

This may go downhill fast.....

Newcomers to the sport may read this thread and think because some guns can do it, theirs can too.... resulting in wounded & lost birds. They may not take the time to test & pattern loads to see what shoots the best in their gun..... or even shoot it to check POA/POI, which is about like taking a bore-sighted rifle to the deer woods and expecting to kill a deer.

But for the sake of asking, why would you shoot a turkey @ 72 yards, especially with lead shot?

Mine is 15 steps for the closest with #5 lead & 48 paces with Hevi-13 #6 handloads.

#2819247 - 05/01/12 02:49 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
cruff10
10 Point

Loc: Wartburg, TN (Morgan Co)

I've shot 1 at 60 steps.....2 at 55 steps, both Dead when I got there. closest at 30.

All my long shots were last chance, messed with them for a couple of hours and was the closest they would come.

I shoot a benelli nova mad maxx choke with Remington Premium Turkey Load #5...the $15 box.

#2819248 - 05/01/12 02:51 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: cruff10]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

8 yds, 58 yds
#2819256 - 05/01/12 02:55 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Closest was 7-8 of my steps, furthest was 61 of my steps (approx 55 yards based on my stride). Both in woods with 3.5" Win HV #4 lead shells. I aimed just above beard for the closest shot (to reduce likelihood of missing) and I misjudged the 61 step shot one afternoon. I thought he was about 50 or so steps. I remember both very vividly. These are both extreme cases as I much prefer a 25-35 yard shot.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#2819257 - 05/01/12 03:00 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Andy S.]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
6 yards and 23 yards. Stepped off, no rangefinder. All using win supreme high velocity 3" 5 or 6 shot. H&R pump 12 ga 28" barrel. Not the best patterns but sure does kill em.

...since last deer season

#2819259 - 05/01/12 03:02 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: catman529]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Near - 4 steps, way too freaking close.

Far- hate to admit it, but smoked one years ago at 60 steps in a cotton field that pushed me over the edge after 7 hours of waiting for him to come closer. Other than that, I haven't shot one past 40.

#2819263 - 05/01/12 03:05 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Setterman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

confused Online
7 hours? Man I'd have shot him after 3 hours, who cares if some call me unethical, I only take a shot I'm comfortable with anyway and haven't even shot one yet at 30 yards. But if I were a better shot and had a better choke/shell setup, I'd take the farther shot if he made me wait that long.

#2819264 - 05/01/12 03:06 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Setterman]
SEC
6 Point

Loc: TN

I once killed a longbeard that was so close that even the wad went through his head.
#2819295 - 05/01/12 03:39 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: SEC]
LB FANATIC
6 Point

close 5 steps... agree w/Setterman, way to close, but he was on a beeline to me when he broke around a blow down.

far 52 of my steps.. I calculate 12 steps is about 10 yards..
I would call this the extent of my "sure" kill range..
Winchester super X2 28" barrel- Truglo gobble stopper - 3.5" win #5

#2819309 - 05/01/12 04:26 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: ]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Swamphunter
Seriously? Is there nothing else to discuss?

Here's a better topic: why do people think its impressive to talk about killing birds at ridiculous ranges? All it tells me is you are A) a ridiculously bad judge of distance or B) an unethical hunter.
x2

#2819311 - 05/01/12 04:32 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: ]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

Closest 8 yards.

#2819317 - 05/01/12 04:39 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: muddyboots]
muddyboots
12 Point

I once had one that was literally a foot from the end of my gun. he ran too me from my offside and i got the gun turned and he stopped and started strutting a foot from the end of my gun. It was wild. I was new at turkey and everyone told me not too shot one strutting but i shoulda blasted him. i held my gun til my arm started to quiver a little and he noticed it and was gone. LOL It may be why i am so addicted now.

#2819349 - 05/01/12 05:39 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: ]
Knothead
12 Point

Seriously? Is there nothing else to discuss?

Here's a better topic: why do people think its impressive to talk about killing birds at ridiculous ranges? All it tells me is you are A) a ridiculously bad judge of distance or B) an unethical hunter.

Whoa Dude! Who pulled the string on your tampon! Take a chill pill. Gosh.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”

#2819356 - 05/01/12 06:09 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Knothead]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

I agree, I'm not a big fan of talking or boasting about distance killing.

Closest for me was 8yds, furthest was 38yds.

That's over 70ish turkeys never having to have shot over 40yds. I personally like those kind of numbers.

John 3:16

#2819396 - 05/01/12 07:20 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: REN]
Knothead
12 Point

Confidence in yourself, confidence in your equipment, and confidence in your abilities. That means a lot, and goes a long way toward putting meat on the table.

#2819404 - 05/01/12 07:45 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Knothead
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Grizzly Johnson
But for the sake of asking, why would you shoot a turkey @ 72 yards, especially with lead shot?

Because I know what my gun will do up to 80 yds. It's all about patterning your gun & having confidence in it and in yourself. It's not for everyone, and that's ok, but if you know you can do it, why not ?

#2819409 - 05/01/12 07:53 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: ]
REN
12 Point

I too would like to see what an 80yd lead pattern looks like. Heck I'd like to see some of the 60yd patter claims on here but none have yet to be produced.

Hey if your gun can pattern it then go for if, just not a very high % shot.

#2819410 - 05/01/12 07:54 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: catman529]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: catman529
7 hours? Man I'd have shot him after 3 hours, who cares if some call me unethical, I only take a shot I'm comfortable with anyway and haven't even shot one yet at 30 yards. But if I were a better shot and had a better choke/shell setup, I'd take the farther shot if he made me wait that long.

I don't do things because of what others might think. I do things because of my own personal reasons.

Killing turkeys is about calling birds in close, and I want to make clean ethical kills every single time I pull the trigger. Lobbing shot 60 yards down range is a great way to cripple birds, and something I won't do again.

#2819411 - 05/01/12 07:56 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: REN]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: REN
I too would like to see what an 80yd lead pattern looks like. Heck I'd like to see some of the 60yd patter claims on here but none have yet to be produced.

Hey if your gun can pattern it then go for if, just not a very high % shot.

I have never shot mine at 60, 50, or even 40. I know what it does from 35 and inside, and you don't want to be in front of it at those ranges inside 35 yards.

I have never seen anyone anywhere post a 60 yards pattern, and with the amount of 1.5"+ spurred 25 lb turkeys killed each year I have some serious doubts about these 60 yards patterns.

Edited by Setterman (05/01/12 07:56 PM)

#2819419 - 05/01/12 08:10 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Setterman]
Buck Assassin
10 Point

Loc: cocke county, TN

closest is 15 yards
longest is 48 yards

Round here we follow the motto "K.I.S.S" KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

#2819439 - 05/01/12 08:27 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Buck Assassin]
Knothead
12 Point

You guys go on and bash and demean all you want. I know what I and my gear are capable of doing and given the chance, I will do it again. And I will not apologize to a single one of you who choose to bash and belittle.

#2819445 - 05/01/12 08:31 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Knothead]
Mississippi Boy
Spike

Loc: Johnson City, TN

Originally Posted By: Knothead

Because I know what my gun will do up to 80 yds. It's all about patterning your gun & having confidence in it and in yourself. It's not for everyone, and that's ok, but if you know you can do it, why not ?

Shooting lead #5's, no gun is going to hold a RELIABLE killing pattern to 80 yards. If you take shots that long, you will cripple more birds than you will kill.

#2819465 - 05/01/12 08:56 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Knothead]
REN
12 Point

You guys go on and bash and demean all you want. I know what I and my gear are capable of doing and given the chance, I will do it again. And I will not apologize to a single one of you who choose to bash and belittle.

Not bashing or asking for an apology. However you come into a thread boasting about a shot distance FAR beyond the norm and follow it up by saying you have infact patterned the shot. You had to know people would question it.

You may have a turkey killing machine. I personally have never seen anyone anywhere post an 80yd lead shot or even talk about one that was getting
Ore then 100 pellets in the kill zone at that distance.

I do find it funny you are shooting at turkeys at the same distance I usually get set up to call them into range lol

#2819467 - 05/01/12 08:59 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: ]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

All of my kills have been at the 24 to 25 yard mark.
All of them were called to the gun by the superb calling skills that I have acquired over years of hunting turkey's and playing the game by the rules.
All of them were clean ethical kills.
All of them were 4 year old birds, except for a couple mis-haps where I killed some 3 year olds. \:\(
I never tried to get closer than 100 yards from their roost.
I mostly tried to ignore gobbles on the limb so I could adequately hunt them correctly.

Yes, I am a smart donkey. \:D

#2819522 - 05/01/12 09:53 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: RUGER]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

Loc: Union County,Tn

Why is it that when guys come on here going on about shooting deer at 1500 yards with a 300 Weatherby Mag or som crap most say that if the shot was right and the deer aint moving and the wind aint blowing and yadda yadda yadda then yeah they would take that shot. Or the classic, " you gotta have a lotta trigger time to pull a shot like that but it can be done". Why is a long range rifle kill accepted by so many so easily but you guys wanna give other people down the road over a longer than normal shot on a turkey. Yea its not my first choice to shoot at those yardages and sometimes in the heat of the. moment less than desirable shots are made. I would rather cut ones head clean off at 10 yds but if I know my gun patterns at 40 yds and even beyond and Ive got a clear shot im gonna take it. Pshhh, turkey hunters, ill tell ya what.

Oh cant remember my clossest but a me and a buddy called one in this season and he body slammed it at 10 ft.

I have killed at 53 steps 70 steps and 71 steps. Longest shots I have taken on a bird and all 3 died like they where at 20 yds. No chest beatin here just statin the facts.

Dont tread on me

#2819532 - 05/01/12 09:58 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: RUGER]
muddyboots
12 Point

I had a big long thing typed but nevermind. i will just say if i ddint shoot any turkeys past 40 yards i wouldnt kill many in the open pines of my lease. That is all. As ruger says "keep driving through" LOL

#2819557 - 05/01/12 10:28 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: ]
Knothead
12 Point

Well said Mississippi Boy. That ain't opinion. That's FACT. Some folks have no respect for the game we pursue.

I'm still waiting on those 80 yard pattern pics.

You'll be waiting a long time, Swamphunter. I don't have to prove a single thing to you, nor anyone That bird rolled like he was shot at 20 yds. It was an ethical, clean kill.
I know what I am capable of doing, I know what I did, and I will do it again, given the opportunity. And that's about all I have to say about that. \:\)

I'm done debating with all the righteous ones and their 'holier- than- thou' attitudes. Now I remember why I haven't spent much time on here in the past 3 or 4 months. Geez Louise!!

#2819560 - 05/01/12 10:30 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: muddyboots]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
I, too, would like to see that 80 yard shotgun pattern.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2819564 - 05/01/12 10:37 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Poser]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

I have decapitated at 5 yards and killed at alittle over 50. I used to prefer a 30 yard shot using lead 5's. I now prefer a 40 yard shot since Ive started using Hevi 7's the last few years. At 40 I have nice uniform pattern wide enough to allow for error and dense enough to kill cleanly.

#2819571 - 05/01/12 11:00 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Setterman]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

confused Online
Knothead I may not personally want to shoot a turkey at that range, but if you are confident in your shots at that distance then I don't care if you kill em like that... I had to let off steam the other day about this holier-than-thou turkey hunter attitude, but I think I learned you just gotta let people have their opinions and keep hunting the way you hunt, long as it's legal. Of course that won't stop me from arguing sometimes when provoked...

Originally Posted By: Setterman

I don't do things because of what others might think. I do things because of my own personal reasons.

Killing turkeys is about calling birds in close, and I want to make clean ethical kills every single time I pull the trigger. Lobbing shot 60 yards down range is a great way to cripple birds, and something I won't do again.
I think I'm with you on that, I took a long shot (2 in a row actually) and missed a bird at the beginning of last season (my first season) and missed, learned I need to be confident in the shot before pulling the trigger. Now I don't want to shoot anything past 20 or 30 yards. But after 7 hours of waiting for a bird to come closer, I would definitely take the long shot, that's plenty of waiting. I don't know if I can even sit still that long... lol

#2819593 - 05/02/12 12:47 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Buck Assassin]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

closest was 17 yds
farthest was 22 yds.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#2819597 - 05/02/12 01:15 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: stik]
booth
4 Point

The original posters name is very fitting. And give me a break you don't have a 70 or 80 yard gun.
#2819627 - 05/02/12 05:30 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: booth]
ruger7mag
6 Point

Loc: tn

Can't believe someone would seriously say they have an 80 yard gun with 3 inch lead 5s....

#2819662 - 05/02/12 07:13 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: booth]
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: booth
The original posters name is very fitting. And give me a break you don't have a 70 or 80 yard gun.
Don't have much respect for anyone who shoots past 50 yards on a regular basis, don't care what kind of gun, choke, or shells you use.

#2819663 - 05/02/12 07:15 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: TeamMainStreet]
REN
12 Point

Originally Posted By: TeamMainStreet
Why is it that when guys come on here going on about shooting deer at 1500 yards with a 300 Weatherby Mag or som crap most say that if the shot was right and the deer aint moving and the wind aint blowing and yadda yadda yadda then yeah they would take that shot. Or the classic, " you gotta have a lotta trigger time to pull a shot like that but it can be done". Why is a long range rifle kill accepted by so many so easily but you guys wanna give other people down the road over a longer than normal shot on a turkey. Yea its not my first choice to shoot at those yardages and sometimes in the heat of the. moment less than desirable shots are made. I would rather cut ones head clean off at 10 yds but if I know my gun patterns at 40 yds and even beyond and Ive got a clear shot im gonna take it. Pshhh, turkey hunters, ill tell ya what.

I dont think a 1500yd shot on a deer and an 80yd shot are quite in the same boat, also a rifles whole purpose is to SHOOT FAR. A shotgun as limitations that are known by most. you can build a rifle to be a "sniper" shooter with the right ammo and optics. a better compairison would be people claiming to kill deer at 1000yds with a 30/30 and coreloks they bought at walmart. sure its possible but people would want to see the paper on that claim.

i just find it very odd that there are more then a few on here that claim to have patterned their gun and they know without a doubt what i does at these distances yet no one has any pics of the pattered shot especially when some seem to defy the odds of physics.

#2819687 - 05/02/12 07:58 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Knothead]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Well if you can get a gun/shell/choke to pattern that far for a clean kill, then great for you. I would also like to see a pattern of yours and some others' at 60-80 yards.

What/how you do it is your business, but please don't go publically posting/telling it so all those impressionable beginners see/hear it and think they can do it too. Irresponsible hunters wounding turkeys for the coyotes to eat is no different than a poacher/tresspasser shooting one, the end result is 1 less bird to be taken by a responsible/ethical hunter.

Long distance issues have gotten to a point on OldGobbler, it will get you banned if you post or talk about anything over 40 yards. It's for the same reason as I said above with impressionable beginners; and because some of the veteran turkey hunters find it unethical/disrespectful to the turkey and/or the sport of turkey hunting.

I'm not bashing or belittling...... IF you are capable of consistantly taking a turkey at 60-80 yards and CLEANLY, then what you do is your business (refer back to my previous above statement).

But as someone who also buys a hunting license every year and pretty much hunts public land only, imagine if an influx of new hunters started hunting like that WITHOUT taking the time to test their equipment, because they read on the internet where so-n-so's same gun/shell/choke can make that shot, well they can too.... how long do you think it would take to ruin the gobbler population?

I am not bashing, I AM concerned. A lot of time and work has gone into the turkey population of this state. We (as the turkey hunters of Tennessee) don't need a new generation of hunters erasing all that hard work and time because of poor hunting ethics.

#2819688 - 05/02/12 08:01 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Unregistered

Well if you can get a gun/shell/choke to pattern that far for a clean kill, then great for you. I would also like to see a pattern of yours and some others' at 60-80 yards.

What/how you do it is your business, but please don't go publically posting/telling it so all those impressionable beginners see/hear it and think they can do it too. Irresponsible hunters wounding turkeys for the coyotes to eat is no different than a poacher/tresspasser shooting one, the end result is 1 less bird to be taken by a responsible/ethical hunter.

Long distance issues have gotten to a point on OldGobbler, it will get you banned if you post or talk about anything over 40 yards. It's for the same reason as I said above with impressionable beginners; and because some of the veteran turkey hunters find it unethical/disrespectful to the turkey and/or the sport of turkey hunting.
Good post

#2819696 - 05/02/12 08:16 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: TeamMainStreet]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

I'm not a big fan of the long range deer shots either, or kids taking 200-400 yard shots on deer.... too many things could happen and end up with a wounded deer.... but there are far more deer than turkeys in this state. I'm not calling names in particular, but just because you/they can do it, doesn't mean you/they should do it..... it's one thing to shoot a metal plate that isn't moving, it's another thing to be shooting at a living, breathing, moving animal.

#2819703 - 05/02/12 08:22 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Knothead]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Well said Mississippi Boy. That ain't opinion. That's FACT. Some folks have no respect for the game we pursue.

I'm still waiting on those 80 yard pattern pics.

You'll be waiting a long time, Swamphunter. I don't have to prove a single thing to you, nor anyone That bird rolled like he was shot at 20 yds. It was an ethical, clean kill.
I know what I am capable of doing, I know what I did, and I will do it again, given the opportunity. And that's about all I have to say about that. \:\)

I'm done debating with all the righteous ones and their 'holier- than- thou' attitudes. Now I remember why I haven't spent much time on here in the past 3 or 4 months. Geez Louise!!

So how many pellets did you hit him with in the head & neck, or was it a pellet through his heart? I know it only takes one in the right place, but are relying on that one magic pellet? And again for reference, I don't take a holier-than-thou attitude.... but you started this thread and should have known there would be good & bad follow.

#2819718 - 05/02/12 08:39 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: catman529]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

I think I'm with you on that, I took a long shot (2 in a row actually) and missed a bird at the beginning of last season (my first season) and missed, learned I need to be confident in the shot before pulling the trigger. Now I don't want to shoot anything past 20 or 30 yards. But after 7 hours of waiting for a bird to come closer, I would definitely take the long shot, that's plenty of waiting. I don't know if I can even sit still that long... lol

I think the better word is CAPABLE not confident. If your gun is capable of making (x) yard shot, then you WILL/should be confident in making the shot.... now if you "miss" shooting through a sapling, heavy brush, or pull the shot.... then thats on you, not the equipment. Being capable at (x)yards is what you learn/prove from testing your gun/load/choke at various ranges so you KNOW when the time comes, you are capable of taking the bird cleanly.

If you have sat there 7 hours for a good shot within range, why not sit longer or come back again later? If you know you can't cleanly take him down at the longer distance, why take the chance with a wreckless shot? Just because you "miss" and he doesn't go down, doesn't mean you didn't hit him in the non-vital areas of the body with shot.

There isn't a time clock in turkey hunting, turkeys work on their own schedule.... Two + weeks ago on a Friday, I hunted 12hrs to get a turkey... had one gobble less than 40 yards, but the brush was so thick, I couldn't see him.... had to listen to him walk off.... in that last 3-4 hours of hunting, had a pair of jakes with 3-4" beards come by me 4 times looking for that "hen" they were hearing.... hunted from daylight to almost dark and went home empty handed. But it sure beat being at work!

Test your equipment and KNOW your limitations, you owe it to the game you are hunting and it also reflects on you as a hunter.

#2819726 - 05/02/12 08:44 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: ]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Great posts Grizzly! Your delivery is much better than mine so maybe it will be taken to heart. I wish we would've had one of these magic guns Sunday morning. We would've killed that monster bird at 67 yards!

I'm on a roll I guess..... had my Frosted Flakes this morning..... I'm feeling GRRRRREAT!!!

#2819758 - 05/02/12 09:13 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: ]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

Closest kill was 11 yds and furthest was around 30. I have only killed 4. Long shots do not impress me much as a hunter. It may be a great shot just not a great hunt. I guess I get that from bowhunting most of the time for deer.

Did not know there were this many high horses in the state.

#2819763 - 05/02/12 09:21 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: WRbowhunter]
Knothead
12 Point

Originally Posted By: WRbowhunter
Did not know there were this many high horses in the state.

Oh, it's not high horses. It's called being in the clique.

#2819782 - 05/02/12 09:41 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: REN]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

I dont think a 1500yd shot on a deer and an 80yd shot are quite in the same boat, also a rifles whole purpose is to SHOOT FAR. A shotgun as limitations that are known by most. you can build a rifle to be a "sniper" shooter with the right ammo and optics. a better compairison would be people claiming to kill deer at 1000yds with a 30/30 and coreloks they bought at walmart. sure its possible but people would want to see the paper on that claim.

i just find it very odd that there are more then a few on here that claim to have patterned their gun and they know without a doubt what i does at these distances yet no one has any pics of the pattered shot especially when some seem to defy the odds of physics.

Dont take this the wrong way REN because I respect you as a good turkey hunter and a seemingly good person but I know without a doubt my rig can kill at 40 and 50. I have tested and have seen it do it. I havent taken multiple pics of patterns to post up because I dont have anything to prove to anybody and dont feel the need to. I enjoys your pics btw. I do not go looking for long range shots but if one is presented and I feel like I can make it I go for it. I also feel like the long range deer shot is very comparible to the turkey shot. As others have said only one pellet is all it takes. That is essentially all you have on a long range rifle shot. I have said before that I am not in the business of pleasing others. Im going to do it my way and if a longer shot is needed and I think its doable ima send it. Congrats on the awesome season also.

Dont tread on me

#2819802 - 05/02/12 09:49 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: TeamMainStreet]
REN
12 Point

None taken bud and I'm not really referencing 40-50 yd shots. 60-80yds with lead is beyond far though an that's when people start to question the validity of it.

#2819810 - 05/02/12 09:52 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

I'm not a big fan of the long range deer shots either, or kids taking 200-400 yard shots on deer.... too many things could happen and end up with a wounded deer.... but there are far more deer than turkeys in this state. I'm not calling names in particular, but just because you/they can do it, doesn't mean you/they should do it..... it's one thing to shoot a metal plate that isn't moving, it's another thing to be shooting at a living, breathing, moving animal.

I am not a fan or supporter of them either GRIZbut like I told REN if I think it can be done I will take it. Im not telling anyone to take a long shot. Everone must know their limitations on themselves and what they are working with. If you are not comfortable with it pass on it. I just get tired of people talking down on others of this stuff. Man everybody aint perfect and stuff happens. I have never once said to myself "you know what ima shoot one at 80 yds today just to see if I can". I dont roll that way. Oh I love the Sims pad BTW.

Dont tread on me

#2819815 - 05/02/12 09:54 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: REN]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

None taken bud and I'm not really referencing 40-50 yd shots. 60-80yds with lead is beyond far though an that's when people start to question the validity of it.

Understood. That is pushing the limits.

Dont tread on me

#2819848 - 05/02/12 10:24 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: TeamMainStreet]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

I am not a fan or supporter of them either GRIZbut like I told REN if I think it can be done I will take it. Im not telling anyone to take a long shot. Everone must know their limitations on themselves and what they are working with. If you are not comfortable with it pass on it. I just get tired of people talking down on others of this stuff. Man everybody aint perfect and stuff happens. I have never once said to myself "you know what ima shoot one at 80 yds today just to see if I can". I dont roll that way. Oh I love the Sims pad BTW.

I'm not really saying not to do it IF you can do it responsibly.... because YOU have been responsible and TAKEN the time/steps to test YOUR equipment to find THE limitations. Joe Blow off the street doesn't know if you have or not.... he just "knows" what is said or read.... and want's to be like you. I'm just saying don't go around posting it or saying it in a hunting store, Wal-Mart, or other place it can be overheard by the wrong people. Some that hear may hear or read and go about their business or think "your" full of BS.... new hunters to the sport may take their dads gun, some shells, and choke, then go the the woods expecting to take the same long shots and kill a turkey. Yes, they MAY get lucky once and kill a turkey that way..... but how many birds will suffer or be lost until they are taught/learn the correct way of finding their equipments limitations.

I'm not talking from a high-horse or down to anyone, but we as hunters should be acting as an example to others, because whether we like it or not, the non-hunting public and animal activists have their eyes on us constantly. New people to the sport need to be taught the ways by responsible hunters and keep the tradition of hunting safe and rewarding.... whether an animal is taken or not.

Just as a general rule.... What whoever does is their business, keep it quiet and go about your business, more so if others may find it questionable. And even more on a public forum where ANY ONE of our words could bring a key word search hit up from the internet (Google, Yahoo, Bing....). Several "dramatic" discussions on this site could have been avoided if this rule was more widely used. You can tell a story in a way everyone gets the picture and still not give the questionable details that causes drama.

#2819886 - 05/02/12 10:58 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Knothead]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

The farthest I've killed one was just shy of 60 and that's because I misjudged it and didn't have time to get the rangefinder out. I thought it was around 50 and knew I could kill him so I squeezed the trigger. Only after having to shoot him a second time and getting the rangefinder out did I realize I was further than I thought. That was using my 835, 3 1/2" Winchester Supreme #5's, and the factory extra full choke. The closest has been about 15 yards. Now all of that said I switched this year to 3 1/2" Hevi Shot Mag Blends and a jellyhead choke and haven't shot it past 40 but the pattern density was a ton better than before. I like knowing I can reach out and touch one if need be but prefer them 30 or closer because to me getting them in close is a huge part of the enjoyment for me.

#2819891 - 05/02/12 11:00 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

Understood to the fullest Griz. And for what its eorth I was not calling you out on talking down to people. All of you comments have been pleasant, to the point and pretty much right on the money. Its the guys that go by Richard that I dont get along with. Good hunting to ya man.

Dont tread on me

#2819902 - 05/02/12 11:08 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: TeamMainStreet]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Understood to the fullest Griz. And for what its eorth I was not calling you out on talking down to people. All of you comments have been pleasant, to the point and pretty much right on the money. Its the guys that go by Richard that I dont get along with. Good hunting to ya man.

Just to say as well, I wasn't taking it that way from you..... just making it known to all. I realize everyone has an opinion, everyone is entitled to it as well. But thank you Sir.

But as with the life battles we must choose between everyday, we as hunters have to pick and choose those as well. As with the way the country is going, there are/will be sides.... when those sides are determined, we on our side must stand together and fight for the common good. Animal activists are working to ruin hunting just like the politicians are ruining our way of life, what we beieve in, and what we work hard for. When we start fighting amongst ourselves, they are winning.

#2819912 - 05/02/12 11:18 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: ]
bvoss
6 Point

Loc: Maury County, TN

7 yards, and about 60 yards. But the majority of my kills are between 25-35 yards.
Colossians 1:27

#2819934 - 05/02/12 11:50 AM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Knothead]
TLRanger
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

One question on the 80 yard shot - Was it 80 yards by using a range finder or 80 yards by stepping it off?

If it was 80 steps, it is very possible because a normal step is only 30 inches long unless you are at least 6' 6" with extra long legs and if you are shorter than six feet tall, your stride may be even less than 30 inches. Then you add the contour of the land in (unless it is totally level) which would remove a few more yards. Therefore in my calculations, the 80 yard shot could very well be a mid fifty yarder. To me that is a bit too far but for some it isn't. I limit my shots to 45 yards which I have patterned my shotgun for. Mossberg 835, jellyhead choke, hevi 13 magblend shot.

#2819945 - 05/02/12 12:03 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: TeamMainStreet]
Bullfrog
6 Point

Loc: Ky Lake

The closest i've killed them have been within a hood length, and the farthest around 52 yds or so. IMO, there is a fine line between a turkey killer and a turkey shooter, with all of this long range talk. Just my .02 though...
#2819974 - 05/02/12 12:34 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Bullfrog]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

10 and 40

I'll keep my post on subject \:\)

#2820051 - 05/02/12 01:58 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Gravey]
Setterman
8 Point

Still amused by the 80 yard thing. I ranged 80 yards while hunting this morning, and chuckled.

Gimme a break....

#2820070 - 05/02/12 02:41 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Setterman]
Knothead
12 Point

Still amused by the 80 yard thing. I ranged 80 yards while hunting this morning, and chuckled.

Gimme a break....

You need a Mossberg! \:D

#2820075 - 05/02/12 02:49 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Knothead]
Setterman
8 Point

Gimme a break....

I have several boat paddles already, and have anchors as well \:D

#2820078 - 05/02/12 02:58 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Setterman]
Knothead
12 Point

Gimme a break....

I have several boat paddles already, and have anchors as well \:D

\:D

#2820150 - 05/02/12 04:47 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Knothead]
booth
4 Point

Yeah they are magic! Not!
#2820156 - 05/02/12 04:55 PM Re: Near or Far? [Re: Knothead]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

About 8 yrds and 40 yrds.

Page all of 7 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
19 registered (Zulu, junebugwapiti, Nealmeally, hinshm, redblood, catman529, 1 invisible) and 81 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93069 Topics
1087558 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.097 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.