Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#2817411 - 04/28/12 06:02 PM Re: Gobbling? [Re: cruff10]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

had several gobbling on the roost and 2 on the ground coming our way til that hen took them the other way. roane county

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#2817451 - 04/28/12 06:55 PM Re: Gobbling? [Re: stik]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

Got to go about noon today. New where three been hanging out so i eased into the area. Alot of people hate the wind but i absolutely love it. I knew they would be close so i clucked three times on a mouth call and 1 then another and then another head craned up from the tall grass at about thirty yards. i got the gun on them but was waiting to see a beard but there heads were very big so i knew that was the three gobblers i was looking for but for some reason i waited. They looked for about twenty seconds and went back into the grass and started walking away. I made a big loop and got in front of them and sure nuff they were three longbeards but they passed too far. Showed no desire in any calling whatso ever.

#2817940 - 04/29/12 08:20 PM Re: Gobbling? [Re: muddyboots]
Knothead
12 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Marshall County. I have heard maybe 5 gobbles in 10 hunts on our lease. Nearly all of those have been from the roost. Once on the ground, they get very shy!
My suspicion: If you have ever hunted Marshall County, you know there are turkeys all over the county! People riding up and down the roads see the birds out in the fields. They stop to look and get out their calls and go to town. Most of these folks have probably never called a bird to the end of a barrel in their lifetime. They went to Wal Mart and bought a ten dollar slate or a three dollar diaphragm, and they think they are an expert caller. On our lease, they are everywhere. Ride down the roads and you see turkeys in the fields from daylight to evening. Our birds on the lease are very skiddish. I was riding by one of the fields last weekend, saw a hen and a tom. I slowed down (didnt stop) to look and the tom ran as fast as he could run. The hen laid down. I simply slowed to look. Didnt make a sound.
The birds have their masters in people avoidance by now.

It a totally different kind of hunting now than it was three weeks ago. You gotta adjust your tactics to outsmart 'em.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”

#2817943 - 04/29/12 08:24 PM Re: Gobbling? [Re: Knothead]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Hunted franklin county today had one gobbling real good abot 9 am.

#2818011 - 04/29/12 09:55 PM Re: Gobbling? [Re: Knothead]
bigasports
8 Point

Loc: Spring Hill

Originally Posted By: Knothead
Marshall County. I have heard maybe 5 gobbles in 10 hunts on our lease. Nearly all of those have been from the roost. Once on the ground, they get very shy!
My suspicion: If you have ever hunted Marshall County, you know there are turkeys all over the county! People riding up and down the roads see the birds out in the fields. They stop to look and get out their calls and go to town. Most of these folks have probably never called a bird to the end of a barrel in their lifetime. They went to Wal Mart and bought a ten dollar slate or a three dollar diaphragm, and they think they are an expert caller. On our lease, they are everywhere. Ride down the roads and you see turkeys in the fields from daylight to evening. Our birds on the lease are very skiddish. I was riding by one of the fields last weekend, saw a hen and a tom. I slowed down (didnt stop) to look and the tom ran as fast as he could run. The hen laid down. I simply slowed to look. Didnt make a sound.
The birds have their masters in people avoidance by now.

It a totally different kind of hunting now than it was three weeks ago. You gotta adjust your tactics to outsmart 'em.

I hunt Marshall as-well and I would agree that you are spot on with your comments.
I love only that which they defend.
J.R.R. Tolkien

#2818015 - 04/29/12 10:05 PM Re: Gobbling? [Re: bigasports]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

we only heard one gobble on the roost off in the distance. we had several hens roosted around us but the boys weren't there this morning.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#2818037 - 04/29/12 10:57 PM Re: Gobbling? [Re: arctic_cat]
Waterfowler22
4 Point

Loc: The Duck Blind

Cheatham wma.... Didn't hear any birds on roasted but they have been crankin up about 830 9

SHHH....Here comes a pair of singles

#2818194 - 04/30/12 09:23 AM Re: Gobbling? [Re: ]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

Hunted saturday afternoon and had 2 birds gobble back after cutting. One was cut me off every time while the other was occasionally gobbling back. So we went after the hot one. We left the field we were in and went to the top of the hollar he was in. He had to of gobbled every minute or two. I tried soft calling and aggressive, and being silent he just kept gobbling down in the bottom for over an hour. We couldn't get any closer cause the leaves were so crunchy. He finally went silent for about 10 minutes and we kept waiting for him to pop up over the hill. After not seeing or hearing him I called softly and he gobbled 30 yards right behind us. I have no idea how he got behind us but we let him walk even with us before we could turn he made that alert cluck and my buddy swung around fast and hammered him. It was one of the best hunts this year for sure. This was in Dickson county

Edited by Hollar Hunter (04/30/12 09:26 AM)

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#2818202 - 04/30/12 09:47 AM Re: Gobbling? [Re: arctic_cat]
RussellvilleRob
8 Point

Loc: Russellville

Wearing it out on the roost... I had one Saturday morning that gobbled 10 or 15 times.... I was probably 50 yds from him & I made a couple soft yelps... He cut me off two times....
Right before flydown I heard some yelps coming from the ridge below him.... Apprently the hens were more appealing than me because once he hit the ground, he shut up and went straight toward the other yelps......

This is in Cocke County... I have hunted 8 or 10 times this year & this was the first gobble I've heard.....

Edited by RussellvilleRob (04/30/12 09:49 AM)

#2818228 - 04/30/12 10:24 AM Re: Gobbling? [Re: arctic_cat]
DOC1187
16 Point

Loc: east tn

sunday had one gobble on the limb that was it union county pt 19
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
51 registered (cozy23, smyrnagc, excalhunter, Setterman, bigtex, Puddleduck, 5 invisible) and 65 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94112 Topics
1099555 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.108 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.