Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#2815398 - 04/25/12 09:53 PM anyone got 1 tag left
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I still got a while of season left and 3 tags filled but I can't help but feel nervous... will I tag out or not? Been blessed with a good season so far but the birds gobble less as the season progresses on public land. I was out in a few spots today, saw none, all I heard was a hen clucking at me not too far away but I could never get her to come in and see if she had a tom with her.

They were strutting on sunday afternoon and gobbling monday morning. I did not hunt this morning, only afternoon until sunset with some travel time in between.

Next trip will be same as last weekend... a 2 day hunt from before dawn Sunday morning until early Monday afternoon. I hope I connect soon, and wondering if anyone else has 1 tag left and the same feeling.... if I don't tag out I can't complain, I have killed 3. If I do I will be psyched.... also, what are the birds in your area doing?

#2815536 - 04/26/12 07:31 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: catman529]
93civEJ1
10 Point

Loc: TN, USA

ive got all of mine still...but then again.. I just started last weekend. \:\/ I dont expect to even fill 1 but then again ya just never know!!
#2815560 - 04/26/12 07:58 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: 93civEJ1]
Harvester
8 Point

Loc: Morgan County

I still got 1 more left.
#2815572 - 04/26/12 08:15 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: Harvester]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

Yep got 2.

#2815614 - 04/26/12 08:53 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: muddyboots]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

I've got 4 left

#2815626 - 04/26/12 09:06 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: easy45]
Lawrence
8 Point

Loc: MT. Juliet Tennessee

3 tags for me still

BOOM

#2815652 - 04/26/12 09:38 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: ]
Food Plot 101
10 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville,TN USA

3 left for me
#2815668 - 04/26/12 10:13 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: Food Plot 101]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

Loc: Branchville

one left

#2815674 - 04/26/12 10:25 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I got 4 left, wanna buy 'em? \:D

#2815682 - 04/26/12 10:33 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: RUGER]
raywa
4 Point

Loc: Mt Juliet Tn

one left and can't wait to fill it
#2815694 - 04/26/12 11:03 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: raywa]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

I have one left, dont care if it gets filled or not. It actually probably wont because I figure Ill be taking my fiance the rest of the season now that she has time to go.

#2815702 - 04/26/12 11:16 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: smstone22]
splitter
8 Point

Loc: tennessee, fentress

yeah i'm with Steven i have 1 left but i would much rather see dad or my buddy fill a tag than me fill my last tag just for the sake of filling it

#2815789 - 04/26/12 12:50 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: RUGER]
LB FANATIC
6 Point

Loc: Middle TN

2 left, after my yearly lessons.... lol

#2815807 - 04/26/12 01:02 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: RUGER]
LA man
18 Point

Loc: spencer, tn/houma, la.

im done, i used #4 a few days ago

#2815814 - 04/26/12 01:07 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: LA man]
FrickorFrack
4 Point

Loc: TN

1 left here. I'm happy with 3 longbeards!
#2815853 - 04/26/12 01:58 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: FrickorFrack]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: FrickorFrack
1 left here. I'm happy with 3 longbeards!
that's the thing, I would have had 3 longbeards, but #3 was a jake. Because I lost aim on a strutting longbeard and they all started moving faster so I had literally no time to decide and took one of the jakes instead. The mental image of 2 big toms strutting right by me while I held a bead on one's head has been haunting me. Next time I don't care if hes in full strut, I'm pulling the trigger. #4 will be a longbeard unless it's at the very end of the season.

#2815879 - 04/26/12 02:32 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: catman529]
93civEJ1
10 Point

i hear jakes taste mighty fine as well!

Id be happy with whatever took my tag! lol

#2815884 - 04/26/12 02:38 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: 93civEJ1]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

I've got all 4 left. \:D

#2815885 - 04/26/12 02:39 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: 93civEJ1]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: 93civEJ1
i hear jakes taste mighty fine as well!

Id be happy with whatever took my tag! lol
sure they do, he was only 13 pounds but I saved the entire bird minus guts and head. And as usual have the giblets in a bag frozen saved for catfishing.

Gonna fillet him today and put the rest in the freezer and then use the whole thing to make stock with. Then pick off every bit of useable meat from the boiled carcass since the meat will be tender at that point.

#2815896 - 04/26/12 02:52 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: catman529]
93civEJ1
10 Point

How much meat can you get off 1 decent sized turkey?
#2815899 - 04/26/12 02:58 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: 93civEJ1]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: 93civEJ1
How much meat can you get off 1 decent sized turkey?
bird #1 was 21 pounds and I got 9 pounds in breasts and legs. Bird #2 was 22 pounds and I got just over 9 1/2 pounds in breasts, legs and wings. I plan to get the most out of this 13 pound jake.

#2815994 - 04/26/12 05:40 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: catman529]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Cat, probably most of these boys would have fewer tags than they do if they would have resorted to roost shooting........in the dark!
Sorry man, the devil made me say it, and I just couldn't resist the temptation. lol

No one's eyes go bad looking on the bright side of life.

#2816068 - 04/26/12 07:12 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: 4onaside]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

I got 2 left and I hope if I do tag out its the last week of season.The more hunting the better!

#2816278 - 04/26/12 11:20 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: ]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Well that sure doesn't make em better hunters (even if they are)... it just means they are more selective \:D

I may have to change my username to Meat Hunter so people quit picking on me and my hunting methods....

#2816403 - 04/27/12 06:22 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: catman529]
4onaside
12 Point

Originally Posted By: catman529
Well that sure doesn't make em better hunters (even if they are)... it just means they are more selective \:D

I may have to change my username to Meat Hunter so people quit picking on me and my hunting methods....
They ain't pickin on you boy! lol "They" are kidding with you and there is a whole bunch of difference. And I doubt if anyone really cares how you hunt. We just appreciate the zeal you have as a young hunter for the sport. As we get older, most of us become a little more subdued in our approach,with the addition of families, careers, etc. and other life activities, other than hunting, that consume most of our time. Keep on truckin' and good luck on filling your other tag! lol

#2816743 - 04/27/12 01:27 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: 4onaside]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: 4onaside

They ain't pickin on you boy! lol "They" are kidding with you and there is a whole bunch of difference. And I doubt if anyone really cares how you hunt. We just appreciate the zeal you have as a young hunter for the sport. As we get older, most of us become a little more subdued in our approach,with the addition of families, careers, etc. and other life activities, other than hunting, that consume most of our time. Keep on truckin' and good luck on filling your other tag! lol
Yup I know you were kidding, but it seems there are a few who aren't. I should hopefully get to a point where I don't care what they say anymore... and stay tuned this fall for some pictures of dead hens! lol

#2816748 - 04/27/12 01:34 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: 4onaside]
Trevor2
8 Point

Loc: sunbright,tn

And with that "zeal" you have keep it! Stay away from the women who dont understand lol I have that same passion as you my friend and even though Im just 23 I have been through a few gf just for the simple fact that they got mad bc I hunted so much lol haha \:D

#2816780 - 04/27/12 02:08 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: Trevor2]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Trevor2

And with that "zeal" you have keep it! Stay away from the women who dont understand lol I have that same passion as you my friend and even though Im just 23 I have been through a few gf just for the simple fact that they got mad bc I hunted so much lol haha \:D
that's right, I won't get a girlfriend because I want one or because she's good looking... of course those both are very important, but she also must understand what it means to turkey hunt.

#2817070 - 04/27/12 09:30 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: catman529]
4onaside
12 Point

Yup I know you were kidding, but it seems there are a few who aren't. I should hopefully get to a point where I don't care what they say anymore... and stay tuned this fall for some pictures of dead hens! lol
I don't shoot hens, but it would not be rational for me to comment or care if you do, since the flocks that we are hunting are roughly 125 miles apart! Now, if you were shooting hens across the road from me, I would have a legitimate right to complain since they would be the same birds that I hunt and would effect my gobbler population in the spring.

#2817117 - 04/27/12 11:41 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: 4onaside]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

I don't shoot hens, but it would not be rational for me to comment or care if you do, since the flocks that we are hunting are roughly 125 miles apart! Now, if you were shooting hens across the road from me, I would have a legitimate right to complain since they would be the same birds that I hunt and would effect my gobbler population in the spring.
But would it affect them any more than killing a few does would affect the buck population?

#2817164 - 04/28/12 06:17 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: catman529]
4onaside
12 Point

But would it affect them any more than killing a few does would affect the buck population?
IMO it certainly would in my home area, because it, like most in Tennessee is not overrun with turkeys unlike some of your middle Tennessee counties. There is a one turkey either sex fall season in my county, but that is more for political/social reasons than it is biological. Most west Tennessee counties do not have a fall season because killing hens IS detrimental to the overall population. Every time that you kill a hen, you are removing a potential of 20 turkeys from the population. Every time that you kill a gobbler you are removing one turkey from the population. So its a totally different scenario to talk about any similarities between hen killing and either sex deer harvests.

#2817240 - 04/28/12 09:29 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: RUGER]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Buddy i have barely had a chance to hunt this year. i have all 4 of mine. just hang in there if it happens it happens if not you still did good filling 3. \:\)

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#2817378 - 04/28/12 04:24 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: Bone Collector]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

With the number of hens there are around here, I'm fine with killing a few for the meat. It's less meat but less tough too. With breast, leg, stock, and other meat pulled off the bone after making stock, you can get a lot from a hen.

I also wonder how many hens you will save by killing a coyote or two. Other predators kill hens, and turkeys are still here, so why shouldn't I? This is middle TN where they are plentiful; I would not want to kill one in an area where turkeys are less than thriving.

But please disregard what I say - I'm not a real turkey hunter.

#2817625 - 04/29/12 01:20 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: ]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Swamphunter
Other predators kill hens, and turkeys are still here, so why shouldn't I?

Ha. You sound like a teenager justifying getting in trouble because "everybody else does it, why shouldn't I?".
Except that it's not about getting in trouble, it's the food chain.

Originally Posted By: Swamphunter
I'm not a real turkey hunter.

No doubt about that. I'm still holding out hope for you, though. I'm glad to see you hunting and fishing. You are doing a good job and coming along nicely. I commend you for obeying the laws and doing things right. There are plenty of poachers out there. I just cannot fathom killing a hen or shooting a longbeard off the roost. I hope in time you will set your bar above "what is legal". However, I think the internet is creating a bunch of turkey killers instead of real turkey hunters. Nowdays folks are so concerned about getting home and posting pics they will kill a turkey anyway they can. I'm just glad I was taught better and have a group of guys to hunt with that set the bar a little higher than just killing.

You're forgetting I am a meat hunter. I'm not just trying to call in a longbeard to the gun, I'm trying to stock up on meat so it lasts a little while with 6 other family members eating it. Can't wait till I move out and live in a place of my own where I can keep more meat to myself. Calling a bird in may be the best way to hunt turkeys, but killing them other ways is better for getting the meat, unless you are like Setterman and have the skill to call in your limit in multiple states. You took almost 5 weeks to kill your first of the season, but it was hard earned, and you weren't trying to stock up on meat. It's a different type of turkey hunting, and I don't see what you have against meat hunting....

#2817650 - 04/29/12 07:03 AM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: catman529]
4onaside
12 Point

Cat, just stay the hell off of Sally Baker Road! lol

#2817763 - 04/29/12 12:40 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: catman529]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

You're forgetting I am a meat hunter. I'm not just trying to call in a longbeard to the gun, I'm trying to stock up on meat so it lasts a little while with 6 other family members eating it.

If your that in need of meat, you would get out cheaper to buy it at the store and feed your family. Take the money you spend on ammo, gas to/from hunting location/scouting, license, incidentals, and your time doing such...... instead, go to the grocery and buy you some butterballs instead, you will get more meat too.

You know some of your posts stir the feelings of other hunters.... why waste your time trying to justify things... post you got a kill, include your pics, and some of the pertinent details.... then be done with it. That way you won't be inviting controversy.

#2817791 - 04/29/12 01:58 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
4onaside
12 Point

Well, I'm not exactly with Grizzly on the don't try to justify things. If you honestly feel that way, then have at it. After all, it is a turkey forum. However, you should not feel put upon when the overwhelming majority of us don't have similar views as yours. That being the case, maybe you should wonder why that is so, and adjust your philosophy, as in "hunting for the meat". Obviously you live in an affluent Franklin neighborhood and don't need the meat, regardless of how hard you might try to convince to the contrary. Like the man says, if you are after the meat, butterballs are a whole lot better buy!

#2817894 - 04/29/12 07:09 PM Re: anyone got 1 tag left [Re: 4onaside]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

I don't need the meat, I don't want butterballs, I just like wild turkey because I harvested it myself and it is all natural, free range meat that wasn't raised in a factory. I don't see why that should have to be justified... I'm following the law and I don't think it's hurting the turkey population. This WMA gets a lot of hunters and no doubt a lot of birds are killed spring and fall yet there are still plenty here.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
kiplrrp, MudIslandMemphis, bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308
13555 Registered Users
Who's Online
18 registered (CamoGator, Thicketmaster, Southpaw, SharpEyeGirl, travle, AndyW, 3 invisible) and 75 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13555 Members
42 Forums
99439 Topics
1169762 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.