Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 8 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#2809375 - 04/17/12 08:52 AM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: Baxter83]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

content Online
Like i said i personally dont care to do it but hey if it is something you are fine with by all means. legal is legal.

having said that, lets at least call a spade a spade. Turkeys have terrible night vision and depend on hearing in the low light conditions. so sneaking up on a turkey in the dark on a windy morning in full greenage is not a ton of skill.

having said THAT, its not a contest of skill as each hunter has different purposes. I know catman is a true meat guy so i got no issues with how or what he did for the bird. I believe his intentions were pure.

I am more surprised Setterhook kept his opinions to himself on the subject hahahahah

I am also impressed this has not turned into a full on debate yet as i know this is a very touchy subject to some

John 3:16

#2809407 - 04/17/12 09:54 AM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: REN]
bigtex
8 Point

Loc: Brush Creek

Nice bird, congrats to ya.
As far as shooting them off the roost............never done it and probably never will, but.......i'm fortunate that I can step out the back door and be turkey hunting on my own property. I know that if I see a Tom and don't get him that particular day I can "probably" have an encounter with him another day. You can't say that hunting public property or on property where someone else is going to be hunting. I don't blame you one bit, hunting public property is a whole nuther ball game.
I say whatever floats your boat, if you feel ok doing it, if you are within the law, and are going to eat the meat, have at it!!
Again, congrats on a nice bird.

#2809416 - 04/17/12 10:04 AM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: bigtex]
TheAirMan
16 Point

Loc: Moss, Tennessee

Congrats!

#2809473 - 04/17/12 11:59 AM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: TheAirMan]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

Congrats catman. Nice bird.

#2809492 - 04/17/12 12:23 PM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: Gravey]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Nice turkey Catman, congrats!!

#2809595 - 04/17/12 02:17 PM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: catman529]
oldmanelrod
6 Point

Loc: TN/AL state line

You did a lot better than a lot of hunters. Congrats. I bet it eats good.
#2809612 - 04/17/12 02:32 PM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: REN]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: Baxter83
Congrats man! Nice bird!

I've let ONE fly down that I could have shot off roost that I never got a second chance at, and I'll gurantee you I won't let the next one get away so easily ;\) . Maybe if I had some private property loaded with birds like some people have, or if I got to take off a whole bunch of time to hunt like some have the luxury to do, or if I had pretty much any means of killing more than a bird or 2 a year in the limited amount of time and resources that I have to go hunting, I may pass up the ever so slightly easier route to bag a bird. But til then, I'm doing whatever it takes to put some meat in the freezer and get satisfaction out of my hunt \:\)
That's my thinking... right now I can only hunt once a week so I make that as long a trip as possible, which right now is a day and a half. Still that doesn't give me the time in the woods that I really want, so if I want the meat and have a couple tags and happen to walk under a roosted bird then he's dinner for me. However next weekend when I'm out chasing them again I would prefer to call one in. I've filled half of my tags now so there is less urgency for me to kill one. although the meat still goes fast....

Originally Posted By: REN
having said that, lets at least call a spade a spade. Turkeys have terrible night vision and depend on hearing in the low light conditions. so sneaking up on a turkey in the dark on a windy morning in full greenage is not a ton of skill.
being a fairly new turkey hunter, I was not aware of that. I figured their vision was still good even in low light. Even though it was not that windy yet (just the occasional gust) it wasn't that hard to get as close as I did to the birds.

The end result is always the same though... the meat tastes just as good.... long as it's legal....

...since last deer season

#2809638 - 04/17/12 03:13 PM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: catman529]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Memphis or Birdsong Creek

Congrats on the bird...you put your time in and you did it legal. It would have been easy to come on here and just simply say that you roosted a bird and when he pitched down you shot him. Story over...nobody gets their panties in a wad. But you told the truth knowing you might face some backlash and for that I commend you.

Some people are quick to tell you how you should conduct yourself, but are much less willing to put your shoes on and walk in them for a few miles.

Happy Hunting

#2809645 - 04/17/12 03:18 PM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: BuckWild]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

thanks BuckWild. I wouldn't make up a story and post it on here, so I told it like it was and I'm not ashamed of it... doesn't take much to stir the pot here on certain subjects anyway, but I'm OK with it.

...since last deer season

#2809818 - 04/17/12 08:27 PM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: catman529]
baller_9
8 Point

Loc: West TN

Everyone has an opinion but give me 1000 hunters shooting turkeys off the limb legally instead of off a road illegally. I've never even thought of taking one off the limb but I don't have a problem in the world with what you did. Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time and even had the ethics to check for legal shooting time. Sounds like a good morning too me. Congrats.
Page 5 of 8 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
119 registered (TnKen, Moonman, striperhunter90, Sako, 280longshot, southernhunter, 12 invisible) and 142 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93183 Topics
1089233 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.093 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.