Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 8 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#2809256 - 04/17/12 04:53 AM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: stik]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

The only "legal" means of shooting a turkey that I have real problem with is shooting a turkey in flight. and I have observed people shooting at turkeys in flight before.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2809258 - 04/17/12 04:56 AM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: Phil1979]
Wrangler95
16 Point

Loc: Celina,Tn

Very nice going,congrats!!
Psalms 37:16 A little that a righteous man hath is better than the riches of many wicked

#2809261 - 04/17/12 05:34 AM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: Poser]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: Poser
The only "legal" means of shooting a turkey that I have real problem with is shooting a turkey in flight.

why?

#2809265 - 04/17/12 06:05 AM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: stik]
spitndrum
Supreme Hunting Outdoors Pro Staff
Non-Typical

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

O mercy Popcorn please???

#2809267 - 04/17/12 06:05 AM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: Beekeeper]
spitndrum
Supreme Hunting Outdoors Pro Staff
Non-Typical

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

Originally Posted By: Beekeeper
 Originally Posted By: WMAn
CatMan,

You have supported your decision to shoot the bird off the limb on the basis that it's legal and it's "fair chase" because of the difficulty of getting within range of a roosted tom.

Yes, it is legal. However, legal and illegal with regards to game and fish regulations represents only a minimum standard of conduct enforced by a regulatory agency to prevent sportsmen from doing harm to the game/fish species or harm to each other (public safety). In this case, there are not enough turkey hunters shooting birds off the limb to do harm, and it's not a public safety risk. Also, a good game/fish reg must be easily enforceable so even if a game agency wanted to make it illegal to shoot a bird off the limb. How could they enforce it? The officer would have to be within sight of you and the bird to know that you did it. In this case, turkey hunters are allowed to decide whether it's ok to them or not.

To your fair chase argument, it is not difficult to stalk within gun range of roosted birds especially after green up. Why do turkeys roost in trees? To escape predators. One they are in a tree, flushing from the roost is their absolute, last escape option. You almost have to walk directly underneath him. With leaves on the trees, it becomes a situation where you can't see him until he sees you and by that time you are in range.

"Fair chase" is something we each define, but if your argument here is that getting within gun range of a roosted bird is very difficult, I think you come up short.

Finally, I read your posts with enthusiasm and based on what I can tell you are a fairly new hunter. Most of us when we got started went through a stage where blood was what mattered. We lived for the kill, and we gladly walked the line between legal/illegal or ethical/unethical to get that next one. The rush was yo much for us to restrain.

Over the last few years, I have had the pleasure of introducing a lot of new turkey hunters to the sport we love. Getting them to look beyond the kill is one of the biggest challenges I face. Yes, we are there to harvest a bird and bring meat home. What I teach them though is we each get to decide how we do that. What is legal is our first standard, but individually we should strive for a higher standard than simply what is legal. For me, shooting a bird off the limb does not meet that standard.
Isn't it a great world we live in where we do not have to meet someone else's standards but only the broader standards set by regulation.

Congrats catman on a fine bird and a good hunt.

Ha ha always one right Beekeeper? Good Post!

#2809294 - 04/17/12 06:38 AM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: spitndrum]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

I have had the chance more than a few times over the years and have never done it.

I am going to step out of character and just remain quiet on this one.

#2809316 - 04/17/12 07:39 AM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: Setterman]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

Great bird and a great hunt. As long as you had fun and proud of your hunt then nothing else really matters. Now go get another one.

#2809341 - 04/17/12 08:12 AM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: WRbowhunter]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

I take em however i can get em, ive shot off the roost before and shot em flying before. The flying shots are extremely easy when you can make turkey drives during the fall:)

Edited by Rockhound (04/17/12 08:13 AM)
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#2809342 - 04/17/12 08:13 AM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: WRbowhunter]
bvoss
6 Point

Loc: Maury County, TN

I killed a couple that way when I first got started. Its just too much fun calling them in now to shoot them out of the tree. Congrats though on a Public land bird.
Colossians 1:27

#2809364 - 04/17/12 08:30 AM Re: #2 let me get too close to him on the roost [Re: bvoss]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

Congrats man! Nice bird!

I've let ONE fly down that I could have shot off roost that I never got a second chance at, and I'll gurantee you I won't let the next one get away so easily ;\) . Maybe if I had some private property loaded with birds like some people have, or if I got to take off a whole bunch of time to hunt like some have the luxury to do, or if I had pretty much any means of killing more than a bird or 2 a year in the limited amount of time and resources that I have to go hunting, I may pass up the ever so slightly easier route to bag a bird. But til then, I'm doing whatever it takes to put some meat in the freezer and get satisfaction out of my hunt \:\)

Page 4 of 8 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Daniel Willoughby) and 57 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.