Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#279647 - 06/27/07 10:23 AM Poison Ivy / Oak
JWW4
8 Point


Registered: 06/09/07
Posts: 2074
Loc: Signal Mtn, TN

Offline
The tree I want to put my stand on over my food plot is over run with the poison stuff. It goes up the tree 50 ft or so and covers the trunk all the way around. What is the best way to get rid of it without hurting the tree? Will Round Up work? If so do I need to spray all the way up the plant or just the base?

And

Once it is dead, how long do I need to wait before the plant is harmless to touch so I can pull it down?

Thanks
JWW4
_________________________
Seven days without prayer makes one weak

Journal: http://www.gymwhisman.blogspot.com/

Website: http://www.mttopsheepfarm.weebly.com/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mt-Top-Sheep-Farm/379848202142838

Top
#279651 - 06/27/07 10:24 AM Re: Poison Ivy / Oak [Re: JWW4]
Winchester
Non-Typical


Registered: 12/05/03
Posts: 27513
Loc: TN

Offline
I would take a hatchet and simply cut all the vines near the ground and spray where they are growing from. Wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt when pulling it down.
Top
#279677 - 06/27/07 10:48 AM Re: Poison Ivy / Oak [Re: Winchester]
WRF
Spike


Registered: 05/24/06
Posts: 97
Loc: Nashville, TN

Offline
From what I quickly read on a couple of internet sites after getting some the other day, I would go with Winchester's advice and be careful. Apparently the oil which causes an allergic reaction (the rash) affects the vast majority of us; even some who were once immune to it eventually get it and I think some even become immune to it over time. Either way most of us can get it. The oil can last for years, even after the plant dies. It can stay on your shirts, pants, gloves, etc. over the year so wash them after you cut it down. One example I read is if you get it on your hunting jacket and hang it up only to use it a year later, you may get hit again if the oil is still on the jacket. Do a google search to research. I need to go back myself. I think for most of us that there is a sense of urgency of 30 minutes to get it off of your skin after it gets on you in order to avoid a reaction. I cannot remember about washing, but there may have been some warning about not spreading it through a simple washing of the hands. There may have been something about applying rubbing alcohol first. Anyway, that was not much help, I suppose I should have researched it myself before responding.
Top
#279679 - 06/27/07 10:50 AM Re: Poison Ivy / Oak [Re: Winchester]
woodchuckc
8 Point


Registered: 02/09/05
Posts: 1800
Loc: Hickman County, TN

Offline
What Winchester said.

The vines will never be harmless to touch - the irritant chemical (urishinol???) doesn't break down over time, and is in the leaves and vines.

Tip: do not burn the vines and inhale any of the smoke - some of the irritant chemical gets vaporized and it is a great way to end up in the hospital - imagine oozing poison ivy sores in your airways and lungs!

Top
#279685 - 06/27/07 10:57 AM Re: Poison Ivy / Oak [Re: WRF]
gil1
12 Point


Registered: 04/06/07
Posts: 6339
Loc: Nashville, TN

Offline
From yesterday's "Tennessean" Newspaper... thought it was interesting the myths we learn...

The poison ivy rash is not contagious. In other words, it cannot spread from person to person.

You can get poison ivy from a dead plant. The resin is still active for up to 5 years.

Nobody is immune to poison ivy.

The more you are exposed to poison ivy, the more likely you are to break out.

Direct contact with the plant is the only way to be infected.

Breaking the blisters on the rash will not make it spread.
_________________________
It is not the killing ...; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Top
#279721 - 06/27/07 11:35 AM Re: Poison Ivy / Oak [Re: gil1]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical


Registered: 03/11/99
Posts: 65036
Loc: Nashville, TN

Offline
Nobody is immune to poison ivy.

Actually, people who have been exposed repeatedly to poison oak (more powerful than poison ivy) can become almost completely immune to poison ivy. I am. As a kid, I was exposed repeatedly to the much more power poison oak out west, and now I'm nearly completely immune to poison ivy. I've proven to disbelievers by rolling in the stuff and rubbing it all over me. I regularly swing on poison ivy vines. The only chance I have of getting a breakout is if I have a break in the skin, such as a scratch. Then I will get a mild line of bumps right down the scratch that disappear in a day or two. No itching.

Here's another interesting ridbit about poison ivy. Once you've been exposed and had a reaction, your histamine system remembers it. If you are exposed again, your histamine system will produce another rash in the same place, even if that part of your body wasn't exposed to the chemical a second time. In essence, you will get it in the old exposure location and the new.

My wife is so alergic to poison ivy that if she touches it with a finger, she will break out on every part of her body that has ever been exposed to it.

_________________________
"Know where you stand, and stand there" --Jesuit Father Daniel Berrigan

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Top
#279731 - 06/27/07 11:39 AM Re: Poison Ivy / Oak [Re: BSK]
gil1
12 Point


Registered: 04/06/07
Posts: 6339
Loc: Nashville, TN

Offline
You're a lucky man. If I think about it, I get it.
Got a fishing/hunting buddy like that. He can wipe his arse with the stuff and never get it. Mosquitoes won't bite him either. Ticks me off!

I wondered about that when I read it in the paper. I'm just the messenger...
_________________________
It is not the killing ...; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Top
#279741 - 06/27/07 11:47 AM Re: Poison Ivy / Oak [Re: BSK]
woodchuckc
8 Point


Registered: 02/09/05
Posts: 1800
Loc: Hickman County, TN

Offline
My sister-in-law is extremely allergic to poision ivy / poison oak, etc. She can (and does) get a reaction if she has contact with a dog that has been in been in it. She has a boxer that gets out and rubs up against a tree in her backyard that has a big vine growing up it, and will break out within a couple of hours after having the dog rub up against her or if she pets it.

If you wash the body part that has come in contact with it very soon after exposure with COLD water and soap, you can avoid a bad case of the rash. If you use hot water to wash with, that helps the oil to penetrate through the skin and increases blood flow to that region which will result in a more severe rash.

Top
#279765 - 06/27/07 12:37 PM Re: Poison Ivy / Oak [Re: woodchuckc]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical


Registered: 03/11/99
Posts: 65036
Loc: Nashville, TN

Offline
There is also a product you can wash with that breaks down the oils. I think it's called "tecnu" or something like that.
_________________________
"Know where you stand, and stand there" --Jesuit Father Daniel Berrigan

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Top
#279791 - 06/27/07 01:00 PM Re: Poison Ivy / Oak [Re: BSK]
Winchester
Non-Typical


Registered: 12/05/03
Posts: 27513
Loc: TN

Offline
Im pretty well immune under normal conditions. I have to literally break the vines and rub them all over to get it. Thought I was totally immune myself until a few years ago, was hanging a loc on and literally tearing vines larger than my thumb off and breaking them out of the way. I ended up with my first bad case all over my face.
Top
Page 1 of 4 1234>


Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
4105222
RUGER
86677
Deer Assassin
65036
BSK
60880
Crappie Luck
51376
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
77 registered (M.Simp, SKFOOTER, HuntFish714, jakebird, waterfowlwidowmaker, spur necklace 3, 8 invisible) and 116 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91377 Topics
1068286 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.